• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WW2: World in Flames [REVISED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I am so looking forward to this map!
The only thing that anoys me is that China has German soldiers.
I dont mind that they have german tanks and ships but they should have there own infantry or atleast jap infantry.

This is just my opinion and it WILL STILL BE the map of the year without chinese infantry =)

Level 9
@Fingolfin Could you tell me which Pacific islands are there and what are they advantages (like you said about Guam)?

@Hugomath: here is a map of the pacific islands. The colored symbols represent strongholds of importance by the different nations.

British (orange): Port Morseby, Singapore, and Calcutta.
American (blue): San Fransisco, Los Angeles, Vancouver, Hawaii.
Japanese (brown): Tokyo, Seoul, Shanghai.
Chineese (purple): Shangsha, Chongqing, Xi'an.
Soviet Union (red): Vladivostok.
Neutral (pink) - theese would be regarded as potential strongholds.

A city is regarded a stronghold when it holds important production facilities, has good defencive potential, and is located in a strategically opportune place.

Guadalcanal is one of the smaller strongholds that is labeled so simply because it has the non-american airfield closest to the hawaiian islands, and since it is shielded by three smaller islands that can be used to construct an anti-air and sea barrier in front of the airfield.

Note that the term "stronghold" is just a term i use to describe tactically important locations on the map, and has no influence on the cities in the actual game.

attachment.php

Attachments

• WIFPacificMap.jpg
    WIFPacificMap.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
-VTZ-: I will post you a test map with it later tonight, putting it together right now.
Your system was very impressive for being made in GUI with only a few lines of code, but it is not as fast as mine since it uses groups, locations, and one somewhat redundant loop (where group all units of tyoe "landed aircraft" and set their animation speed to 0%, every 0.01 second!). Still, i really liked how planes could only fire machineguns infront of them etc. I also learned something new about the "art - object interpolation" field.

My system basically works like this:

I have a struct that contains the target x/y coordinates of each plane, and every instance of the struct is linked together in a linked list. Every 0.03 seconds, i loop through every instance of the struct and compare the facing of the plane with the angle between the plane and the target point - if the point is to the left of the plane, i substract to it's facing angle by it's turnspeed, and if it is to the right, i increase. I then set the location of the plane to be a little bit infront of it (unit speed/loop interval, ex: 400/0.03). naturally, if the plane passes the target point, the point will end up behind it, and the plane will turn around and circle back over and over again.

Level 12
Ok fin ^ ^
this system is not maded by me, but i was trying to make something very close to this, so a guy from The helper sent it to me :)
YES "art - object interpolation" is awezum :D

yeah looks awesome,
u made any "fuel" system too? im going to use a dummy unit for (mana / Fuel) area on the airport :)

Yes, i have a system both for fuel and for manually landing/lifting from airports. It also includes the option to make planes into bombers by a single true/false line that could be change ingame if you wanted (not that it would make any sense). This way they would be able to carptet bomb targets through an ability.

@Wowwars: we didn't test without you, last time there were no test. But i can say straight away; everyone who wants to test should be prepared for it in two weeks, i.e. not next saturday, but the one after that - if i haven't released beta by then, we should be hosting a test.

Level 19
About the requirements for the units, Fin, would it still be balanced for some countries to have no requirements for all units, while their enemies do?
Just wondering, is there some method you used to help balance it out?

Level 5
Tomorrow would be a good idea.

Joke, take your time, as most of players got school now, some of them will be able to play only during x mas or some free time.
And I know that you are human as well so we won't put you into a concentration camp and force you to finish your projects... (I hope so).

It dictates the speed at which a units model can turn.

Turn Speed controls the turn of the unit, while object interpolation can further reduce the turn speed of the model (the unit will still be able to fire etc.)

In the light of this, i have drastically decreased the turn speed of all battleships in carrier to better represent how they would turn in real life.

Level 22
It dictates the speed at which a units model can turn.

Turn Speed controls the turn of the unit, while object interpolation can further reduce the turn speed of the model (the unit will still be able to fire etc.)

In the light of this, i have drastically decreased the turn speed of all battleships in carrier to better represent how they would turn in real life.

Ah, I thought it was something ground breaking, like the ability to change the attachment position of models lol.

Level 4
hey fing when me (Soviet_Eowyn) and jimlawl (Shepherdmining) were playing around the map 1v1 noticed that with the chinese having entirely German units their Infantry happened to be better then Japan's one on one (and in mass fight as well... yea i used officers as well) i can understand the tanks and stuff cause Japan didnt exactly have... the best of tanks but the Chinese Infantry was worse then Japan's IRL im pretty sure... just suggesting that maybe China has their own Infantry unit, would probalbly be the worst but cheap and easy to mass (China's Pop) thanks

Level 22
hey fing when me (Soviet_Eowyn) and jimlawl (Shepherdmining) were playing around the map 1v1 noticed that with the chinese having entirely German units their Infantry happened to be better then Japan's one on one (and in mass fight as well... yea i used officers as well) i can understand the tanks and stuff cause Japan didnt exactly have... the best of tanks but the Chinese Infantry was worse then Japan's IRL im pretty sure... just suggesting that maybe China has their own Infantry unit, would probalbly be the worst but cheap and easy to mass (China's Pop) thanks

Chinese troops were trained by Germans during 1910? - 1920? Why, I don't really know the details,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_China

At the very bottom is the modern history of China, I believe Germany and China were allied during WW1? I think that's why they have a majority of German units. I think Fin made a balancing issue by using the same German soldiers and other units as the ones Germany uses, so therefore China would be as strong as Germany, which IRL is a little iffy.

Yeah, you are perfectly right, only reason they still have the german units are that i was initially too rushed (and a bit lazy) to make a new unit for them, and i just haven't gotten along to do it yet.

China will have the weakest kind of infantry, but they will have other perks to balance it up in a guerilla-kind of way, perhaps a shadowmeld-type ability? Perhaps i should make them slightly faster than other infantry, so that they can rush on/retreat in quick attacks? I dunno, we will see what we come up with.

EDIT: @Deolrin: Yeah, we hear that a lot, and i too would love to have unique infantry for the chinese. Only thing is, the map is now at 7,8 mb, and there are lots of other units i would like to include first, like the Bismarck battleship for the germans (instead of the japanese one they have right now), or even unique flamethrowers for all the nations we have now. Not to mention that we have yet to add the V2 and the HE111 along with the unique Italian tanks (that might be skipped). I also don't want to use japanese infantry for the chinese soldiers since it makes for an odd situation where identical units fight eachother (while the german model is not represented in the pacific at all).

Last edited:
Level 22
China is essentially just Russia with less-powerful weaponry at the beginning of the war...
from what I understand it. I guess their main advantage would be the number of cities they control, and the amount of men they can field?

Funny thing is Russia provided China with a bit of weaponry through the war, so why doesn't China have the ability to produce certain Soviet units? (Directed at Fin)

The chinese collaboration with the soviet mostly occured during the end parts of the war, when the soviet union was fighting japan (from what i understand), and most of all after the communist takeover.

Sure, i could use soviet infantry models for them, i haven't decided yet. I agree though that the germans look a biit too western, with their pale faces and blue eyes, to pass for a chinese.

Level 19
Illidan(Evil)X is my personal role-model for WC3 modding. Fingolfin is doing a great job with a project of this size, however.

Same here, except mine's inclusive of Ham_Ham as well (A creator of a WW3 game).

Fingolfin is kinda one of those handfuls of people who are good at Modelling, Texturing, Terraining and Triggering all at the same time:)

Level 4
is there a beta test on today? ive gotten the two weeks mixed up...:\

also if it goes into open beta now some people will cry and just not play it again because bugs like the aeroplanes freezing...

Level 5
also if it goes into open beta now some people will cry and just not play it again because bugs like the aeroplanes freezing...

Hell, I would survive even freezing planes to see all the other stuff at least.

However, that's why open betas are there, so people will spot loads of bugs, especially because there are some luckers that would get an awful glitch.

Last edited:
Level 19
Yeah, with those betas we could actually make this game become perfect as soon as possible, especially with the help of a huge amount of people from the community:)

Level 5
He said that these models were meant to be stupid as they look like, and they are based on some retarded "toon" (for adults) which is as pathetic as South Park in my opinion.
Yet, I don't think that this thread is good place to have such discussion.

@xRiotZx
Well sorry, I speak Polish language (which is native language for creator of these models) and he said on that forum that these models were supposed to be used in a stupid way, and the admins have to relax, especially when the models were based on "Captain Bomba" series that used to come out daily on some TV channel (4fun.tv I think).
He also created a silly map using these models, but map actually sucked anyway.

Last edited:
Level 2
Ehh i dont know if you have realised it but if you go to the units section of your website the hawker hurricane has like 4 times as much hp as eny of the other planes... i dont know if its on purpose but to me it is just a little strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.