• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WW2: World in Flames [REVISED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Alright. So, what do you think showing more to people you work by creating an album, then you write a link in you signature. Can be helpful...

Level 9
Cool, I like when there are income units... I can ambush and kill them .. heh heh heh! :D. It's a good tactic, isn't it? For example, ambushing a merchant ship with submarines or a supply truck with light tanks, to quickly escape before the enemy calls reinforcements... stuff like that ;D

Level 9
Once I saw a movie which told about that. It was something with Winston Churchill in World War 2. He had this idea to camouflage their trade ships as icebergs :O.
But anyways, I'm not having a clear vision of the islands close to Japan, so could you tell me which ones do you have there. Like Saipan, Iwo Jima, Okinawa, etc.

I will be doing some closed beta tests with vuormalainen somewhere around next week, but yeah, perhaps in a month the rest of you can join in on the beta.

@Hugo, i haven't done that much on the Japanese terrain yet, but at the moment, they have two main islands, and i will also add a few small ones later on.
And by the way, have you seen the striped camouflage patterns that the britts used? They were done to confuse the opposition and make crucial parts of the ship such as the bridge less noticable. Pretty effective, if you ask me.

Last edited:
Alright everyone, here it is:

attachment.php

Note that the two loaders will actually load the cannon after firing, and that during the stand animation, they will be on alert, looking around the vehicle and lean towards the chassis. They also duck and cover their ears in the attack animation. ;)

Gunners in the process of loading:
attachment.php

Another new feature that i have added is that german tanks take longer time to repair (in relation to their hitpoints) than russian and allied tanks do.
Just a minor perk.
I've also made so that shots to the rear of a tank deal 25% more damage, apart from the chance of penetrating.

Attachments

• ScreenShot072.png
    ScreenShot072.png
    184 KB · Views: 7,694
  • ScreenShot084.png
    ScreenShot084.png
    330.9 KB · Views: 7,708
Level 9
fuckin' awsum. But maybe some more armor on the turret. It's a little too... thin. But the rest is fuckin' awsum.

@Hugo, well, it's a lowpoly model, and the protective armor of the Wespe was only between 5-16mm thick :O
I did give the "walls" a triangular shape though, so they are wide at the bottom and narrow at the top.

@Dragonson: Those banners are looking very nice! Great work of you puttting them together :)
Anyways, i was thinking about having a nice page header like that, a bit like the fall of draenor project have (although not the same style, lol). It would really help catching peoples attention.

I will do some thinking and come back to you on that. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Level 13
Fantastic work Fingolfin :)

I'm glad you've kept this project alive, I moved to Tennessee for a few months but I'm back now.

If you need anything from me I'll be active again, but it looks like you've hit the ground running with this map lol.

Level 9
HAI JAMES! :D. Good to have ya back. As you can see, Fingolfin did an awesome work on the map, and now that you are back, this map will be ready even faster!

Level 9
*Actually, WOWWARS, James is the original creator of WW2: WiF. He asked Fingolfin to make some models, but then Fin decided to change lot's of stuff(something like that). Then, James got a little inactive for a moment and Fin kept working on this map for a long time alone. And now that James' back, they both will be working on the map and it will be finished faster, I think...

*Indeed. I follow this thread since it was created, and follow WW2: WiF since it's Beta(and a bit laggy) versions.

@Hugo: well, i've got most things under control at the minute, but i think James knows the details about the war better than i do (which would be important for balance etc.) so he might have to help out on that at least.

And James, since the original map was a product of so much development, i might benefit from getting to look at it again. There are lots of triggers that i haven't created yet, for instance the merchant ship system and most of the timeline events. I would appriceate if you could paste it for me.

And by the way, have you read through the whole thread?
I've been quite excited to see your reaction since the moment you announced your return, lol.

@Hugo, well, practically. here are no genuine land merchants, but as i said, you always have the shippings from your steel mills which have roughly the same purpouse.

By the way, i just updated the main post with some info on the playable countries, aswell as a strategy guide for the artilleries (as a part of the main unit introduction).

WOWARS: I really like that idea!
The only problem would be that mana is currently labeled "Fuel" (or "Gas", can't remember) since it's being used by airplanes, but on the other hand, submarines did have to use their electric engines while submerged, and those could only last a maximum of 25 minutes. :p So you could still say that "fuel" is an appropriate reason for surfacing again.

Anyways, submarines will be able to dive, and their movement speed will be drastically reduced while being underwater.
Torpedoes will also travel quite slowly, so target ships will be able to dodge them at some extent (depends a lot on the angle of the ship etc).

I will.
I'm also going to have a mininap preview/loading screen featuring some of the tank models (somewhere in the lines of the "World of Tanks" logo) to put some emphasis (and hint the player) on the fact that there is so much accurate custom material in this map.
You may feel free to think of concepts for a banner or similar, or like a thread header image, we could brainstorm some ideas on the layout (and if you want, i could send you some posing images of the tanks) and see what we come up with.

Level 27
Send me your tanks, and i'l make turn them into awesome for ya. :)
The more i have to work with, the better.
Just tell me what theme you want (besides tanks and war, ofcourse) and what text there should be.

Then i'l make you banner, headers, loading screen and minimap preveiw.
Just say the word.

Level 9
Hey, can I give a suggestion? I don't really know if will look cool, but... I thought in something like three images. The first would show a battle between tanks, soldiers and AT Guns(could be a German armored column and some soldiers attacking a Soviet fortifications containing AT-Guns, pillboxes and some tanks). On the second, a naval battle showing two fleets firing at each other(maybe some planes attacking too :p). And finally in the third one, a bombing fleet under attack by interceptor fighters, kind of a dogfight. Those three would show how the ground, naval and air units are.

Status
Not open for further replies.