• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Why do you like WC3 map making?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
When you play games or maps you may get inspired or you find things that could be better. Maybe you just want to have a sequel. You develop an own vision and put effort into it. As Aeroblyctos stated, you feel like you actually get something done on your own (is therefore individual) that persists and since it's voluntary there is not that much pressure/can be regulated (I include myself to these people that set deadlines here sometimes for themselves to get progress).

Why Wc3? There are several reasons:

• appealing fantasy graphics and style
  • a lot of resources
  • these resources can often be used for different things (since it's fantasy I guess :wink:)
  • big community in both mapsection and game
  • beginner friendly
  • complex, general triggers make it possible to create different scenarios, that's an important point
  • stable (ye, in comparison to other editors and considering the complexity, the World Editor is damn stable and same applies to the game and Blizzards other products)
  • different approaches and tricky mapping (so I had to stick my mind into it), the mapmaking scene has evolved over the years
  • now and then I also like to play a game of melee and the player community I was speaking of made some fun and innovative games as well

I have tested out editors of other games, too. These were mostly in contrast to the mentioned points. Variety is a good thing however, somedays ago I designed once again a Rox (boulder dash descendant) level for a friend.

Level 19
It's a lot different from the Galaxy Editor and it can be really fun to create things the way you want straight from scratch, gives a little sense of achievement :)

Level 21
You can have a lot of forces on the screen at once, but I don't really like the small selection screen.

Level 14
Easy to learn, hard to master.
Lets try a different version:
Easy to learn, impossible to master.

I mean, the game has been out for what, 7 to 9 years, and we still discover new bugs/curiosities in the game, plus were constantly pushing the limits of whats possible.

And yes, i firmly believe that you have to learn stuff before you can create something valuable in the editor.

Anyway, as for me, i enjoy the community that has built up around mapping (and all its drama).

Status
Not open for further replies.