• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What is your favorite race from Starcraft?

What race do you prefer?

• Zerg

Votes: 50 33.1%
  • Terran

Votes: 53 35.1%
  • Protoss

Votes: 48 31.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Absent summed it all up for me. Fighting Terran, who get giant space criusers and battle tanks, or the Protoss with lasers and energy shields, with the Zerg that only rely on thier flesh and blood but still coming out on top is a very satisfying expireince. However, I don't like Queens that much, and use them only to take out annoying Siege Tanks. What I really hate is playing the campaign, when suddenly - BAM - my hero is a pile of gore being feasted on by little rat-lizards. I prefer to use Zerglings instead of Broodlings with a Defiler plague, a strategy that I know isn't an origional one, but works.
Anyway, my vote goes to Zerg. What I find challenging to defeat when fighting Protoss is the Zealot rush - early in the game, the Protoss player gets 12 Zealots toether to attack the enemy base. I agree with everyone else that the Protoss are the noob race, and it seems that they are winning the poll.

Level 6
I love the Zerg. I'm all for the Swarm. My favorite units are Defilers, Lurkers, and Hydralisks. Cracklings and Ultralisks are a close second with Guardians as a third.

Level 9
Protoss, because of Zeratul and his 100 damage, and dark temps... and swarming carriers... and Arbiter stealth field... and psi storm... and mind control... yay protoss!

Level 35
The terran are delicious, and from what I understand their new features are going to be tastier than ever. That is, I've not got the beta :(
But I shall get the game once it comes out! Hoorah!

The reason the Terran are my favourite race is because they are so survivalistic. They can practically weather any wave of units, even the Protoss Zealot rush the AI often liked to use. Bunkers full of Marines, deployable Siege Tanks, Battle Cruisers for the final assault, what's not to love?

Now, I may be wrong, but I do believe that some of the new features of the Terran include:
- Burrowing Supply Zones
- A Barracks attachment which doubles unit production
- F***ing awesome Reaper units to assault the enemy's economy
- Marine Shields upgrades to withstand heavier attacks

...and that's to name but a few. With that said, who can resist? =D

Level 3
Protoss,
Yes some people think that they are the 'noob' race but anyone with sense can counter them somewhat easily. So it becomes a race to see who can react the fastest.

Level 27
Protoss,
Yes some people think that they are the 'noob' race but anyone with sense can counter them somewhat easily. So it becomes a race to see who can react the fastest.

"Noob" race is an urban myth. All races have their own pros and cons and you have to learn to use your pros and avoid enemy using your cons while using his weaknesses.

Level 3
zerg is the one and only true race of starcraft
I love them because you have so many creeps to control

Level 3
I think all the races are well balanced, but for diffrent people there better at using the advantages of specific races, for me Zerg :D mostly because I like the way they work, one larva can become a drone and start a whole colony. Awesomeness

Level 6
A 100 votes are in and its good to see that all 3 races are equally appreciated; with the Terran taking a slim lead as expected. This only goes to further prove that Blizzard did a great job at balancing the three factions.

Level 3

In that screen shot you can see lurkers, this is an old picture but if they made them to this point why take them out? maybe they just weren't in beta but were in real game (or maybe not)

Level 9
Has anyone else noticed that the field in the Poll with Protoss is italicized? Do you see where I'm going with this? It means Protoss are the best so SHHH!

Level 9
Blasphema! Protoss came before Zerg! They deserve 1st place, they are the Purity of Form, the First Born (meaning of Protoss), their name has the word Pro in it, the evidence is too clear!

Level 5
Favourite Race & Why

So,as the title suggests, what is your favourite race and why?

For me it has to be the Protoss. I really like Chrono Boost and the way Warp Gates allow you to summon a mass-force anywhere on the map, provided you have a proxy-pylon there.

The Zerg are fun to play as well, however, I'm not so keen since the Nydus Worm is a bit weak, making an ambush of that sort fall through easily to anything with bonus damage to armored units.

Terran are my least favorite - I just don't enjoy playing them, the units seem bland in comparison to Protoss & Zerg... They're okay when it comes to playing defensively and being a turtles... although Hellions & Reapers are nice.. just not my cup of tea!

Last edited:
Level 6
My favourite races are in order:

Terran: gives a lot of features and compbinations to play, good damagers, and base raiders that give advantage at the begining of the game. In late game a lot of heavy Damage units, like thor battlecruiser etc that can be used very good against masses of units..i forgot to mention the Siege tank that is good at offensive as well as defensive unit, and its good against mases as well.. the viking that can be ground or air unit gives a lot of advantages, banshee, ghost good units at base raid in mid and late game

Protoss: a lot of choises for protoss too, thats why its my second race: well the mass-force anywhere on the map with the proxy-pylon's help, chrono that gives a little unbalance in game, and a little economy advantage.

Zerg: totaly "bug"...well not bug like defection, u know what i mean...i like them less...becouse of the little strategy offerings, and strategy fix that it has...a swarm, rush from the begining of the game and very weak biologycal units. The units i like at zerg are mutalisks and ultralisks...that is the thing that makes the zerg look cool, as well as the swarming zergling, but veey weak in front of a bigger force

so if anyone has another opinion...post it:D, and srry if any grammar mistakes

Level 11
Generally, I play as random, though I would say my favorite race to play as is Zerg. Mutalisk micro, ambushes using burrow+banelings, roaches, and being able to expand quickly are all quite fun.

After that would probably be Terran, then Protoss.

Level 40
Terran, definitely. I played them in SC1 and still do; their units can adapt the most and give you a lot of strategic options that the other races lack, due to their extremely high ability count compared to the other races. They also require a lot of micro and their macro is arguably the most difficult of any race (thanks to addons meaning you have to manage basically 10 different production building types at once), meaning my hands and attention span are always kept busy and I feel very accomplished when I pull off a near-perfect (by my standards) game with them.

Zerg are definitely my second, since they still have a lot of macro and their ability to tech switch quickly makes for some very interesting strategic decisions. While their individual units are rather boring, the number and diversity of them that you tend to have makes up for it.

Protoss I just find easy and bland compared to the other races. Warpgates are cruise control and many of their units are less interactive than Terrans'. I'm not sure how people find them as unique as the others when the role of a large amount of their units is to just attack the same way every time, and unlike Zerg they don't have the swarmy feel and huge numbers to make up for it.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Protoss
They have the high tech feel to them whereas the terran look like stuff assembled from a junk yard. Also it is fun to lag people with slow computers by spamming carriers in custom maps with them. I also seem best at protoss.

My worst is zerg, just can not get the build rate right for them.

Level 22
Guess
Because I follow the line war2 human-war3 human- sc2 terran, I played protoss in BW cuase i copied my bro playing the same...

I agree with DSG, I never liked the junk yard style, which is why when the game is released, I'm going to have my own Terran, the units are fine but the buildings not. (I mean for custom, I cant expect changes for melee when SC2 is still Starcraft). The Nano Age and buildings > junky buildings.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The problem is that even in SC1 the terran had junky buildings, just in SC2 they are more clearly difined due to better graphics so noticably more junky. They are perfectly cool for some uses like rough bases and stuff (which they are meant to be) but do not do for city uses.

On the other hand protoss buildings look very futuristic, the sort you would expect for use in cities of the future which partly why I choose them.

Its a taste of style, and in my opinion generally the protoss look more like something you expect in the future. Especially units like the terran thor, impresive yes but honestly it looks like something from a scrap heap when compared to the protoss colossus with its fluid leg movement, shields and turret (I know they are different rolls).

Level 5
I like the zerg best, they promote Swarming tactics, while not being that weak in 1v1 situations(they lose usually but are generally capable fighters). I also like the organic feel.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
[...] the terran look like stuff assembled from a junk yard [...]
Come to think of it, there is a lot of concern about sustainable development now, in the 21st century. Perhaps in the 23rd experience has taught us to uphold it even more than before, and so we found ways to recycle pretty much everything. How does that sound like to explain why the Terran buildings look like they were collected from a junkyard?

I'm not sure which is the order of my favorite races. I'd probably go for Zerg as the first. First of all, I like the genetic mutation concept. Secondly, their gameplay with eggs is attractive, and the part I love mostly is the CREEP!!; it's so fun spawning creep tumors and covering the entire map in creep. Then the high number of units.
I still think this race needs a boost, though. I haven't yet learned the dynamics of Starcraft II and the race itself entirely, but this race seems a little weak compared to the others.

My second race would be Terran. I decided I didn't like them because they're Humans who should have been eliminated by natural selection before the might of the other two races ;p. Anyway, when I first played them, I was stunned by how dynamic this race is. Depots which lift down, buildings which can be lifted up, my goodness, I loved playing them (and actually won the game! ;P). The Thor caught my eye as soon as I laid my hands on this race, and it is my favorite unit of this race.
The Terran have their Battlecruisers and Thors armed with these high-damage cannons. The Battlecruiser's can instantly destroy a building, but I have yet to understand the purpose of the Thor's, as well as the reason why both these units carry an instant-damage ability.

The last (but not least!) race is the Protoss. They were the race I had in my hands in my first Starcraft II match and my first Starcraft world match ever. Because of their look, with their sapient alien-appearance. For some reason, I thought of them as the Night Elf equivalent (maybe because they're religious?). Anyway, the reason I decided to put them in third is the same as that which PurplePoot mentioned: they're not too diverse. Every game where there's a Protoss there's also mass Stalkers, sometimes Void Rays, and less frequently, but occasionally, Carriers, whilst games with any of the other two races often play relatively different.

Level 4
The last (but not least!) race is the Protoss. They were the race I had in my hands in my first Starcraft II match and my first Starcraft world match ever. Because of their look, with their sapient alien-appearance. For some reason, I thought of them as the Night Elf equivalent (maybe because they're religious?). Anyway, the reason I decided to put them in third is the same as that which PurplePoot mentioned: they're not too diverse. Every game where there's a Protoss there's also mass Stalkers, sometimes Void Rays, and less frequently, but occasionally, Carriers, whilst games with any of the other two races often play relatively different.

I'm sorry but i sincerely disagree with you on that subject. I find protoss highly diverse and very well laid out. I almsot never go mass stalkers and void rays, but i prefer mass zealots and dt and ht and a sprinkle of stalkers and sentries to help. stalkers are high;yly overrated and i found that they are much worse than a marauder for their cost. hence i hardly use thme except as anti air.

But i gotta say, terran are wonderfully diverse and are extrmeely complex and interesting.

Zerg on the other hand, are just so hard to grasp and are way too hard to play right now. they lack a certain something that i'm not sure about that makes it hard to win.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I'm sorry but i sincerely disagree with you on that subject. I find protoss highly diverse and very well laid out. I almsot never go mass stalkers and void rays, but i prefer mass zealots and dt and ht and a sprinkle of stalkers and sentries to help. stalkers are high;yly overrated and i found that they are much worse than a marauder for their cost. hence i hardly use thme except as anti air.
[...].
I should have added that I'm conditioned by the low-league games I play in.

The Zerg are the hardest race to micro. I'm talking about higher-tier units such as Hydralisks. Ultralisks have more HP, for example, but late game there are enough units to kill them very quickly and people will usually focus fire one if they see it.

Level 11
because Zerg take much less babysitting than the other races.
Not really, spawn laaarva :(

Also, some advanced zerg tactics require a fair bit of micro to pull off. Most zerg players just have horrid mutalisk micro and are braindead when it comes to using banelings effectively.

@Hunter9G, Stalkers die in direct combat to Marauders, probably because Marauders counter them. They are still extremely useful, adaptable, and mobile.

Level 4
@Hunter9G, Stalkers die in direct combat to Marauders, probably because Marauders counter them. They are still extremely useful, adaptable, and mobile.

Yes but give a zealot cahrge and use sentries forcefield correctly and you have a much more solid force. also the stalker-marauder comparison was being made by me because while stalkers are given +4 dmg to armored marauders get +10, which i find a small compensation by getting faster movement and blink. especially since blink is so expensive to get while conussive missiles are 100 minerals and gas cheaper and negate the stalkers speed bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.