1. Head to the 33rd Modeling Contest Poll and drink to your heart's desire.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Choose your means of doom in the 17th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A slave to two rhythms, the 22nd Terraining Contest is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The die is cast - the 6th Melee Mapping Contest results have been announced. Onward to the Hive Cup!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The glory of the 20th Icon Contest is yours for the taking!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

What is your favorite race from Starcraft?

Discussion in 'StarCraft I & II' started by JimBob, Nov 22, 2009.

?

What race do you prefer?

1. Zerg

50 vote(s)
    33.1%
  2. Terran

53 vote(s)
    35.1%
  3. Protoss

48 vote(s)
    31.8%
  1. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Define "right". I wouldn't define a unit's role by what's intended, but rather by how it's played.

PS: That's all one match (three segments), but there are plenty more a search away.

2. VeljkoM

VeljkoM

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Oh right I meant intended. But I think that tanks are intended to be used as you say so there is now kinda now point...

3. Elite Slayer

Elite Slayer

Resources:
    Resources:
    My favourite race would probably be the Terran.
    Compared to the other races, they are reasonably weak and fared worse in the wars, but, to me, the persistance, endurance and downright determination they showed to fight and survive kind of made them the true heroes of the game.
    (Does anyone else hate how in every sci-fi fiction or game, humans are always portrayed as far weaker than their alien counterparts?)

4. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Erm, Terran aren't portrayed as weak in the SC lore. The Zerg are just portrayed as practically unstoppable.

5. Elite Slayer

Elite Slayer

Resources:
    Resources:
    I meant in comparison with the other races. Like you said, the Zerg are unstoppable, and the Protoss have far more sophisticated technology and a far stronger military, leaving the Terran as, more or less, hypothetically the "weakest".

6. JimBob

JimBob

Resources:
    Resources:
    Realistically, the Terrans should be weaker. They shouldn't even be able to compete with the Protoss; maybe the Zerg, but not the Protoss. Their lasers should be able to tear right through the Terrans armor. Plus, they have energy shields, so the Terrans bullets should be useless against them. The only thing the Terrans have that could do actual damage to the protoss are the Battlecrusiers and Nukes.

Speaking of Tanks and Dragoons. I usually use the tanks as a defensive unit and to advance from outpost to outpost. I don't use tanks for skirmish fights. Tanks are just too expensive and you can't really risk losing that many. Queens are usually the ones that would take my tanks out. They're just too fast. I remember a ton of games where I'd get over a hundred kills with a tank. Those were the days. I can't wait for starcraft 2.

7. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Strategy at the casual level is very different from the most effective strategies (at the pro level).

Also, Spawn Broodlings is not widely used; if Queens are used at all, it's generally for Ensnare in combination with the Defiler's Dark Swarm in ZvT.

8. Absent

Absent

Resources:
    Resources:
    Zerg are my favorite race, hands down. Thier many quick, inexpensive units are the base of my favorite stategies, and there is something satisfying about destroying a super alien race with plasma weapons and super tanks with flesh-and-bone creatures.

To PurplePoot, I use Broodlings for everything in SC. A one-shot kill that gives me units cannot be bad. A Defiler Plague followed up a little later with Broodlings is a favorite of mine, and Queens are my #1 defence against tanks. I would frequently use Spawn Broodlings on one of my Ultralisks when it was near death, taking away a kill from the enemy and giving me a good laugh (and some broodlings).

9. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Heh, I love the swarm feel of the Zerg.

Yes it can. Queens are incredibly easy to kill off, and Broodlings takes an obscene amount of energy. The only high-cost abilities that generally see use (high cost meaning over 100 energy) are usually the defiler abilities (due to Consume being available) and Yamato Cannon (although Battle Cruisers are rarely seen as it is).

Anyone who masses tanks against Zerg deserves to lose. They make great support, but they are not a front line unit and are often entirely unnecessary.

Broodlings are terrible, taking away a kill is pointless, and that's a waste of energy.

--

If you disagree I'd be happy to play you (Terran vs Zerg) on iCCup.

10. Linaze

Linaze

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I loved the UED, so I picked Terran.

11. Crazy Cow

Crazy Cow

Resources:
    Resources:
    Absent summed it all up for me. Fighting Terran, who get giant space criusers and battle tanks, or the Protoss with lasers and energy shields, with the Zerg that only rely on thier flesh and blood but still coming out on top is a very satisfying expireince. However, I don't like Queens that much, and use them only to take out annoying Siege Tanks. What I really hate is playing the campaign, when suddenly - BAM - my hero is a pile of gore being feasted on by little rat-lizards. I prefer to use Zerglings instead of Broodlings with a Defiler plague, a strategy that I know isn't an origional one, but works.
    Anyway, my vote goes to Zerg. What I find challenging to defeat when fighting Protoss is the Zealot rush - early in the game, the Protoss player gets 12 Zealots toether to attack the enemy base. I agree with everyone else that the Protoss are the noob race, and it seems that they are winning the poll.

12. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Ofc The Zerg Rock, but i do agree with poot, i never acually use Queens in any real way. maybe mid game to defend against the occasional seige tank. I just go for masses of Hydralisks usually, and then defilers ofc.

13. Aegis Runestone

Aegis Runestone

Resources:
    Resources:
    I love the Zerg. I'm all for the Swarm. My favorite units are Defilers, Lurkers, and Hydralisks. Cracklings and Ultralisks are a close second with Guardians as a third.

14. Darkness-4ever

Darkness-4ever

Resources:
    Resources:
    Protoss, because of Zeratul and his 100 damage, and dark temps... and swarming carriers... and Arbiter stealth field... and psi storm... and mind control... yay protoss!

15. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    How I chose races:

Protoss in SC1 only coz my bro was playing it and I was copying him. Then Human in war2 that was very cool with mages blizzard led to my choice to be Human in War3 all the time. War3 Human led to my choice to be Terran in SC2.

16. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The terran are delicious, and from what I understand their new features are going to be tastier than ever. That is, I've not got the beta :(
    But I shall get the game once it comes out! Hoorah!

The reason the Terran are my favourite race is because they are so survivalistic. They can practically weather any wave of units, even the Protoss Zealot rush the AI often liked to use. Bunkers full of Marines, deployable Siege Tanks, Battle Cruisers for the final assault, what's not to love?

Now, I may be wrong, but I do believe that some of the new features of the Terran include:
    - Burrowing Supply Zones
    - A Barracks attachment which doubles unit production
    - F***ing awesome Reaper units to assault the enemy's economy
    - Marine Shields upgrades to withstand heavier attacks

...and that's to name but a few. With that said, who can resist? =D

17. fancy

fancy

Resources:
    Resources:
    I thought zerg will be higher. Terran tho

18. Alfagar

Alfagar

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Protoss :D, then Terrans in second place, and zergs

19. Tleno

Tleno

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    I vote for Terran for their mobility and flexibility.

Woohooo! 100th post!!!

20. HaPpY sAdIsT

HaPpY sAdIsT

Resources:
    Resources:
    Protoss,
    Yes some people think that they are the 'noob' race but anyone with sense can counter them somewhat easily. So it becomes a race to see who can react the fastest.