• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Starcraft Impracticality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Terran:
Battlecruisers: Those battlecruisers look like the word battle was removed from them. I mean, why follow star wars' ship designs if the bridge is very visible and easily targeted(the only protruding part of a battlecruiser), couldn't they just make an orb like ship that flies! It's cheaper and stronger.

Marines: The visors. Why make a visor and put it on a helmet worn by soldiers. The helmet gets easily pierced.

Protoss
Warp Blades/Psi Blades: The blades are like lightsabers right? So they cut everything they want to cut at contact. So look at Zeratul, the Zealots and the Dark Templar wearing Warp Blades over their hands. Shouldn't their hands be burnt like hell? And if they're immune to it, other protoss should be immune to getting killed by the blades too.

Strider units(terran and protoss): Why make striders? If you bomb the legs, the unit is worthless. Rollers and floaters are better and seemingly cheaper

Zerg
Nothing's wrong with the zerg

Level 2
To all; It's a game..

If are saying all that you could also say they same thing for every race.

Protoss -
Would breaking the legs of colossi disable it?
U see Zeratul one hitting hydras. And i dont think theres any difference between Zeratul's psi blade and zealots/DT's warp blades. Shouldn't they also one hit them?
Why cant you make more mothership?
Why do u require minerals and vespene gas to Warp in units?
How are void rays supposed to "charge" and do more damage? Even if possible, why dont they charge it themselves and start with full damage?
Why cant they warp their entire force and rape base by base?

Terran -
In real life, people get killed, if not crippled after sustaining multiple shots. How the hell are medics/medivacs suppose to perform 'healing' in air(Medivac case)?
How are the buildings suppose to 'lift up' and stay afloat for such long period of time.
How are marauders supposed to make grenades during a fight?
How are marines and marauder's attack speed supposed to be increase by using a stimpack?
How are supply depots supposed to lower and raise so fast?
How are u supposed to cloak?
Wouldnt there be another terran base to supply ghost with nukes?
How are ravens suppose to make turrets out of energy?

Zerg -
In the cinematic, u see zerglings getting knocked over/ killed after being shot once or twice.
How the hell can a butralisk burrow and remain unseen. Wouldnt it make a huge soil difference.
Why cant they infest units on the spot? ( Infest not mind control )
That being said, how are they supposed to mind control other units?
Why cant they infest buildings (in SC2) and use their technology?
With that huge pair of w/e it has, shouldnt the sheer size of a burtalisk "blades" kill terrans in one hit?
Corrupters fly by swinging it's tentacles?
If Zerg is an evolution based race, would zerg eventually have them all at burtalisk in the end?

General Questions -
Why cant u summon reinforcements from outer space?
Why do units not eat, sleep, etc?
Why is there a supply cap?

Level 28
Protoss
Yes, breaking it's legs disables a Collosus. It happens everytime ground units destroy it.
Because it's psi directed from his willpower and he is just older and stronger than usual DT.
Because Motherships are so rare, but big and strong. The fact that you can only build one is supposed to reflect on that.
The Nexus transform minerals and vespene into the energy that is required for warp ins.
Because that charge of void rays need an output. If they pile up that charge they would implode. They HAVE to fire. Also they hve to warm up before they can be fully charged. Much like warming up before doing sports.
They can't warp in everything at once because the probes need the energy harvested from minerals and gas.

Terran
In the future people can be healed by powerful health-beams that detect injuries and adjust broken limbs, heal wounds and bones. The suit of marines reports to nearby medivacs if the host is injured and the medivac automaticall applies that beam on them (if autocast in on).
Buildings can float because they have propellers underneath them. Others have that fire that you can see when they move forward, but underneath.
Marines and Marauders have to press the fire button often to fire their weapon (APM). Stim pack increases their APM.
There is a hole beneath supply depots. They burrow into that hole.
I am not supposed to cloak. Ghosts and Banshees cloak via devices that break the light on them. The light from behind reflects whatever is behind them, making them transparent.
Yes, there could be another terran base supplying nukes, if you built it.

Zerg
Kerrigan has a better weapon than other ghosts.
Brutalisks are master burrowers.
Infestation is like a virus that needs to spread/take control of its host. It just takes time.
Zerg have psi capabilities. Infestors more than others. They can control other units with these abilites. Turning them into mindless slaves, until someone finds that fleshy cord and shoots it. Watch the Futurama movies.
Zerg do infest terran buildings, but that Ultralisk's fingers are just too inconvenient to press that button. They can't infest protoss because they would then turn into hybrids.
No. Terran armor is THAT GOOD.
Curruptor's tentacles manipulate gravity around them. They also have tiny proppelers underneath them, which you can't see ;)
Each zerg unit has a distinct purpose, but I'm actually not sure about that. I will ask my biology teacher.

General
There are battles are over the galaxy. You can't just bring all your units to one place. You will win this fight but lose the war.
Protoss feed from sun. Dark Templars from moon. Zerg biology doesn't require them too. Like zombies. Terran have food kits with them. They also eat inside medivacs. When there is great need they use stim packs.
There is a supply cap for terrans because there isn't enough food to give around. Depots don't generate food. They just store it. There is a supply cap for zerg because too many zerg at one point will go into frenzy mode. There is a supply cap for protoss because protoss religion says so.

God, I love making up stupid lore :p I know, it could have been much funnier but in many cases I liked to see logic into the questions. Some answers are actually cannon (like protoss sunbathing).

Level 13
Terran:
Battlecruisers: Those battlecruisers look like the word battle was removed from them. I mean, why follow star wars' ship designs if the bridge is very visible and easily targeted(the only protruding part of a battlecruiser), couldn't they just make an orb like ship that flies! It's cheaper and stronger.
The location of the bridge allows them to see the frontline and what is going on around them. An Orb like ship on the other hand would be very difficult to make even fly, and I doubt the Terrans are that advanced.

Marines: The visors. Why make a visor and put it on a helmet worn by soldiers. The helmet gets easily pierced.
The Visor is most likely made out of really durable material. On top of that it allows them more visibility than a helmet, and if you look at the whole power armor the Visor is actually a very small part of it and also not all that easy to aim at.

Protoss
Warp Blades/Psi Blades: The blades are like lightsabers right? So they cut everything they want to cut at contact. So look at Zeratul, the Zealots and the Dark Templar wearing Warp Blades over their hands. Shouldn't their hands be burnt like hell? And if they're immune to it, other protoss should be immune to getting killed by the blades too.
The Warp and Psi Blades are powered by the users Psionic energies, so it isn't all that far fetched for them to be immune to their OWN psionic energy.

Strider units(terran and protoss): Why make striders? If you bomb the legs, the unit is worthless. Rollers and floaters are better and seemingly cheaper
Strider units can traverse different kinds of terrain fairly easily. Also Rule of Cool dictates that striders and walkers are awesome. Also where did you get that floaters are cheaper?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Firstly, the battlecruisers are meant to be covered with a very thick layer of metal all around them so the bridge is no less vundrable than the bodly.
Secondly, they are meant to fire down on targets from above. Thus the bridge is even safer cause they have to shoot through the hull first to get to it.
Thirdly you can hardly make an orb fly well, as it has no stabilizers or anything.

Marines are criminals, thus their lives are worth shit and their suits cost shit all. Most people who willingly join the terran army are put into maurder suits which do not have the visor (thus no problem).
You can see this via the hitpoints. Maurders have about twice the amount as marines as well as more armor (and are even known as armored). Marines have less than 2 zerglings and die in a few hits to anything moderatly powerul (1 attack wave from thors kill them). The war pigs (mercanary marines) use much better gear than normal marines thus have large hitpoints.

Level 11
How are marines and marauder's attack speed supposed to be increase by using a stimpack?
This actually has a good explanation.

Assault rifles are generally fired in bursts so they can deal damage without significant recoil and loss of accuracy. When using stimulants, it allows the soldier to more quickly aim their weapon and compensate for recoil, ergo they can fire more bursts in less time.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
As for the protoss. Their strange and usless designes are already covered by the campaign in WoL.

Basically, the protoss are dumb. They might have all that cool technology that the terrans can not dream of but they did not invent most it. The protoss are meant to be using Xelnaga technology (left to them by their creators) that they have adopted to various forms and practicalities over time (like new units, etc). However the protoss appear to not be at the same technological level as their creators (they can not but stuff like ripfield generators despite them complimenting their tactics perfectly against zerg and terran units).

Stetman with some protoss samples was able to enhance Raynors gas extractors with their teleport technology to automatically teleport gas straight to the command centre meaning that no SCV is needed to transport the canasters to the command centre. The protoss own and more fully understand the technology stetman used however are unable to warp their gas directly to their nexus (despite terrans being able to do simlar if they possessed the technology).

This is explained by the protoss beliefs. They basically believe in shity and flawed designs which prevent them from creating more effective and lethal weaponary. Thus they would rather charge into battle with a psi blade (not a light saber, the psi blade gets its power from the protoss wielding it and thus does not harm the wearer) than build up hoards of mechanical drones to fight for them.

This is obviously done for ballencing reasons. It would be stupid if the protoss had cheap deadly infantry, automated extractors, towers which kill all units in their area over time, etc as the terran and zerg would always lose. Thus their stupid beliefs are such that it keeps them on par with the terran and zerg.

In the lore, like the zerg, the protoss are meant to possess more powerful weapons than are seen in the game (the purifier being an example that was seen), which the terran lack on the same scale. Like the zerg, the protoss are also meant to out musscle the terrans through superiour numbers (apparently their main fleet is bigger than the dominions) and not through superiour quality troops.

The fact still remains, despite the protoss's awesome tech, their units do not beat terran units at times. A battlecruiser vs a carrier for example, where the carrier will lose despite having shields and attack drones (both of which the terran do not have).

Level 2
LOL outsider.

I like your explanation as the fact that each one of them goes from logic to just pure insanity crap. LOL!

However, about the "Yes, there could be another terran base supplying nukes, if you built it." That only happens in SC1. In SC1 nukes are built in the terran base, but now it's supplied by the ghost academy.

Also what i meant for the building flying, is the fact that they can stay afloat and never need to land.

Still, i say the simple answer for this thread is that it's just a game. Just face it

Level 13
To be honest, complaining about units not eating, sleeping, drinking, reloading their guns and buildings floating forever etc. is just really REALLY stupid. It's like that for gameplay reasons! Of course lorewise everyone drinks, eats, sleeps and reloads their guns and buildings don't float forever.

If you complain about impracticalities, they should be impracticalities within the LORE!

Level 8
Sounds like another "Poking holes in Starcraft logic" thread.

If you need impracticality with the lore I can give you this.

There is no money! In campaign we hire mercenaries with minerals. At mission where we get vultures we also gather minerals for them! I'm shore editor was powerful enough to make one extra resource just for that mission. And I didn't notice anyone mentioning any kind of currency used by terran.

Level 13
Sounds like another "Poking holes in Starcraft logic" thread.

If you need impracticality with the lore I can give you this.

There is no money! In campaign we hire mercenaries with minerals. At mission where we get vultures we also gather minerals for them! I'm shore editor was powerful enough to make one extra resource just for that mission. And I didn't notice anyone mentioning any kind of currency used by terran.

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Credits

Mercenary contracts were bought with money.

Also: Gameplay mechanics.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Minerals and gas are used to construct the stuff. In the case of mercenaries, I am guessing it is used to create the fuel to keep them running and the amunition to allow them to attack and to cover transport expenseses and fine print contract details (they take a once off cash sum but demand payment in equipment every deployment). Normally the gas and minerals is used to mostly construct the actual machinary used.

In the campaign, swann constructs raynor's machines, ammo and weaponary in advance and stores them in one of the docking bays on the hyperion using minerals and gas raynor collects during deployment. He then suppliments them with special parts brought with money in bulk (enough was brought to last the whole campaign) to make them stronger. Finally inside the missions, they are assembled and deployed in the buildings ready for combat. Due to the size of the hyperion, much of the constructed weaponary gets left behind after missions and only the hard to manufacture parts are taken with. As such before any mission, the hyperion will only have atmost a couple dozen troops available (which are often the starting army) but during the mission many more troops can be manufactures and deoplyed with a combination of work on the hyperion and on the ground. The major thing meant to be kept between missions are the actual soldiers that lived, as they can be redeployed into new machines when they are available.

In the case of zerg, although they are living they actually have a lot of inoranic stuff inside them. Thus why the ultralisk is near bulletproof (skin is metal like) and why their blades and claws cut through metal like paper.

Level 9
Tyranid
wait, I'm not talking about the eating, sleeping, drinking, It's just that i'm talking about the combat elements. I am not talking about lore, I'm talking about science, so think before you write. Peace brotha'

Level 13
Tyranid
wait, I'm not talking about the eating, sleeping, drinking, It's just that i'm talking about the combat elements. I am not talking about lore, I'm talking about science, so think before you write. Peace brotha'

I was directing the whole eat, sleep etc. at RegisteredID and also just saying it in general.

Level 2
... Pointless thread is pointless. At least the other one about logic was silly but made for fun. This is like a rant that things aren't like real life (oh a Realist, sorry). Have you ever played RTS before to understand gameplay > reality for players' convenience. Do you happen to play WoW Expansion Z? it may have washed a little of teh brain.

@ Protoss: i never actually thought of them as 'dumb' but i guess it kinda fits pretty well :p, i guess though humans in the same timeframe would have likely had near xel-naga tech...
all the protoss really have going for them, is strong psyonic powers (which i asume takes MOST of their brains making them 'dumb' XD, i believe it is more likely religion thats keeping them behind than stupidity however.., which i asume that the zerg simply caught them by supprise (They have been top dogs for centuries, with no conflict), so i have a feeling that if they survive, much past their current point (sc3 territory?) they would evolve more desperate and successful means (although by that time, zerg will likely have taken enough protoss prisoners to construct psyonics of their own.

@Terran: well im sure when they made the SCV'less' extractors they more than likely just ran pipes... LOL, because im 99% sure they could have found a better use for teleportation than sending gas to the command center...
@buildings always flying&Battlecruisers should be round
well battlecruisers could be round, similar to the science vessle (which obviously didnt fly using boyancy)
I dont really think any of the buildings should fly though (esp using the propulsion systems they do.. and certainly not permanently, although its still something that plays to their strategy/lore (consume resources and move on), although i guess rocket ships can fly, so they could to technically... even if the fuel to take off, is likely greater than the raw material cost of construction of a new building (salvaging is a much more 'human' option)
@marines, the suits are the cheapest of the cheap, primarily to enable space combat, and enhance movement.. SCVS are probably way more expensive, so them being the 'same' price i asume is A) for balance, and B) because they factor in all the future ammo the marine couldever need, and combat training....

@Zerg: I believe they are atleast partially incontrol of the DNA, seeing as some animals/bodyparts have more IRON in their bodys, they could concentrate this into a 'shell'/weapons, although their ability to pierce battlecruisers with any such 'spine' is nothing short of retarded. concidering the velocity required just to reach the battlecruisers hight, not even pierce its 3-4 meter hull (unless maybe they were enhanced by powerful acids, which lore doesnt state, but would fit zerg lore well.. (it does say there slightly toxic)

My biggest Peeve is the ineffiency of some of the units...
SCV - no matter how cheap gas is, i doubt its cheaper than wheels so it wouldnt have to hover forever
Thor - there is no use for a giant siege walker like such that a tank type unit cant do for alot cheaper (wheels>robotic legs in price, durability, and speed, although slightly less maneuverable, rocket boosters would counteract that easily and still save a ton of cash

Colosus - I See absolutely no use for this whatsoever (even outside of wartime), however a dragoon with huge colosis legs (Granting supirior mobility) would be 'worth' its resourceconsumption (as you could get 20 for the same price)

Ultralisk - The amount of biomatter required to make/feed one of these must be enormous... and the only thing it theoretically looks good for would be taking out buildings (as a big battering ram), it wouldnt even help out taking choke point, as the corpse would make it even more dificult to get in...

My prediction is that zerg will continue to overrun the galaxies, with their rapid expansion, untill eventually the xel naga return, probably team up with the protoss (the ones who 'kept' closest to their word), and maybe even the humans for a time, to just about eradicate the zerg..

Now at this point, either the zerg win, or xel naga win, im leaning twards xel naga... but zerg will never be fully destroyed, because humans will likely keep some samples.. (plus the zerg that spread to far for the xel naga to find/destroy), and then the zerg will possibly absorb xel naga DNA, then were all fucked...

Level 4
Well of course one of the weirdest thing is that the terrans send a primary attack force of:
1 Basic building for commanding, storage and SCV assembley and
5 cowardly recruit engineers in SCV suits
If I would be a terran general I'd relay commands trough satelites from orbit, send down a group of Tanks and a dozen Marines for escort, give a large supply of materials (from all these previous missions) and desing a slightly bigger barracks that can also assemble SCV's and store minerals instead of that bulky Command Center.

Status
Not open for further replies.