• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What is your favorite race from Starcraft?

What race do you prefer?

• Zerg

Votes: 50 33.1%
  • Terran

Votes: 53 35.1%
  • Protoss

Votes: 48 31.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
With the Protoss I liked massing their Carriers. It was just fun to see all those little ships cover the screen. It looked like the movie Independence Day.

With the Zerg I liked building an overwhelming amount of Hydralisks and going on a rampage.

However, when it comes down to it the Terrans are usually the race I play with the most often. I love the marines, tanks, nukes...

Level 4
For me, Protoss rock. i like Cool high-tech troops with shields and can use a small group of zealots to take down a large group of zergs

Level 4
Well i haven't played SC1 but i have seen all the videos and read up on the units for all races. Prottos are my definite first choice, but terrans are second because they are just plain kickass.

Level 40
Dreadnought[dA];1385488 said:
Unfortunately, Marines are bad@$$ so my vote goes to them. I miss Vultures with Spidermines though, these new flamethrowing vehicles are stupid.
Do you want Starcraft 2 or Starcraft Patch 1.17 with new graphics?

From what I've seen/heard, Zerg seems to be my type.

Won't vote though seeing as I haven't played SC1. D:
You should. It's a great game and anyone who calls themself RTS gamer should play it at some point.

--

Terran, although all the D Protoss on ICCup frustrate me because Protoss is so much easier to play than Terran.

Level 12
Do you want Starcraft 2 or Starcraft Patch 1.17 with new graphics?

You should. It's a great game and anyone who calls themself RTS gamer should play it at some point.

--

Terran, although all the D Protoss on ICCup frustrate me because Protoss is so much easier to play than Terran.

-_- Agreed, I hate Protoss who think they are good when they are playing the auto attack race with the least amount of units. No abilities + few units = easy to play. Now in SC2 it looks like it has been flipped. Protoss require quite a bit of skill (or is it just common sense/timing) and Terrans look like auto-attackers. Considering Zerg haven't won a single game yet I don't think they are easy to play.

Level 40
To be fair, every time there was a Zerg they were up against David Kim, who seems unbeatable (or, in the case of the Blizzcon matches, it was a pro Starcraft Korean player as Protoss vs a pro Warcraft 3 non-Korean player as Zerg, so that was basically doom for the Zerg right there).

--

I doubt the Battle Reports are accurate representations of the pro strategies that will actually occur. Both players make a lot of basic mistakes and shuffle their army composition around way too often in most of the games.

Protoss being more expensive than the other races is mostly false; many (most) Protoss units cost as much or less than the Terran units that you see in the same matchups (dragoons vs tanks, for example).

Accually the dragoon is the p-toss eqivilant to the firebat. the firebat costs 50 c and 25 vg right? and the dragoon costs about 125 c and 25-75 vg right? very expensive.

Level 40
Accually the dragoon is the p-toss eqivilant to the firebat. the firebat costs 50 c and 25 vg right? and the dragoon costs about 125 c and 25-75 vg right? very expensive.
50 gas, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the Firebat. You seem to think that icon position is correlated with unit role.

Yeah, the dragoon does 20 damage to air and ground, plus it moves faster and has better range. also the firebats attacks are weak against armored units.
20 explosive damage; big difference.

50 gas, and it has absolutely nothing to do with the Firebat. You seem to think that icon position is correlated with unit role.

20 explosive damage; big difference.

No, accually, the dragoon is the protoss tier-2 unit and the firebat is the terran t2. not icon placement. blizzard and the guides say it all the time, the protoos are the most expensive/powerful.

Level 40
Well Dragoon and siege tank have different roles so you aren't right either. There is no connection between them.
Do you play at all? While tanks at first sight might look like artillery/support, usually they are the firepower and health backbone of a Terran army (excluding TvZ of course). Similarly, in any matchup excluding PvZ Dragoons are more or less a given as the backbone of the Protoss force, and even in PvZ they will often show up.

No, accually, the dragoon is the protoss tier-2 unit and the firebat is the terran t2. not icon placement. blizzard and the guides say it all the time, the protoos are the most expensive/powerful.
So? The Ultralisk is roughly the same tier as the Battlecruiser, but the two are nothing alike. Such comparisons are utterly pointless.

Do you play at all? While tanks at first sight might look like artillery/support, usually they are the firepower and health backbone of a Terran army (excluding TvZ of course). Similarly, in any matchup excluding PvZ Dragoons are more or less a given as the backbone of the Protoss force, and even in PvZ they will often show up.

So? The Ultralisk is roughly the same tier as the Battlecruiser, but the two are nothing alike. Such comparisons are utterly pointless.[/QUOTE]

true, but they are both final tier units. while looking and acting differently they play a slightly similar role for both; a massive, destroyer.

Level 20
Yes I play Starcraft. And I use "siege" tanks for guess what? Do they have long devastating and slow attacks for nothing? I am not saying they aren't good as backbone units.

Better to compare Goliath and Dragoon they at least attack same targets and have similar cost and similar range.

Level 40
true, but they are both final tier units. while looking and acting differently they play a slightly similar role for both; a massive, destroyer.
Okay, so you don't play Starcraft (Battlecruisers are sort of a "massive destroyer", but Ultralisks are rather weak on the whole "destroying" role and are more used to soak up damage)?

Battlecruisers play the role of (relatively independent) front line assault units in Terran versus Terran and are relatively unused outside of that matchup. Ultralisks play the role of tanks so that smaller units such as Zerglings can deal damage while soaking up relatively little, and are not particularly good on their own.

Yes I play Starcraft. And I use "siege" tanks for guess what? Do they have long devastating and slow attacks for nothing? I am not saying they aren't good as backbone units.
Do you play on any ladders (you don't have to be good, just play enough to know the strategy)? Do you watch any pro games?

I'm not talking about how people use them when they don't know what they're doing. I'm talking about how they are actually used. Look up some PvT games (Bisu vs Flash on Katrina is a good example, or really anything by iloveOov, Flash, or SlayerS_`BoxeR`) or TvT (iloveOov versus SlayerS_`BoxeR` best of 5 in the EVER 2004 finals is probably the best example of this matchup).

Better to compare Goliath and Dragoon they at least attack same targets and have similar cost and similar range.
Goliaths and Dragoons are entirely different. Goliaths are much more effective against air (due to their longer range and better damage output) and against infantry (due to their normal attack type), while Dragoons are effective against vehicles and en masse (and less so against infantry unless used as support). You don't tend to see very many Goliaths outside of Terran versus Terran unless a Protoss is going mass carriers, while Dragoons are used pretty much across the board unless the Protoss is in a PvZ matchup in which they are going for sairreaver or the Bisu build.

Level 20
But Goliaths and dragoon booth attack both air and land even tho Goliaths are more effective at range (10X2).

So it is bad to compare dragoons that have 4 (after upgrade 6) and Goliath 5 on land and 5 (after upgrade 8) on air BUT it is ok that tanks have 7 in normal mode and 12 in siege mode and dragoon?

And that Siege tanks have 30 and 70 damage wile dragoon have 20? Goliath has 12 on ground and 10x2 on air.

And tank is harder to get and has longer cooldown...Only thing same is armor 1 and attack type explosive.

I admit that comparing dragoon and Goliath isn't best but is better than tank and dragon just because "people decided" to use them in same role.

Also i admit I don't play on net duo to speed of my connection. I played mostly on lan parties and with computer.

Level 40
People don't use tanks and dragoons for similar roles just because they feel like it—if they did they would have their asses handed to them by those who didn't. They use them because regardless of whatever discrepancy you think you are finding with their stats they fit into similar roles.

You might benefit from reading this.

Level 40
Reavers suck against Terran for anything other than drop harass, and are mainly a staple of PvZ (for sairreaver) but relatively unused outside of harassment in other matchups.

Also, while Dragoons can fight air they are usually used against ground, since the few air units you would field against a Protoss are generally good at eliminating Dragoons (Mutalisks early game are a classic example).

Finally, stats are not as important as you make them because a list of numbers cannot relate the ingame effectiveness of a unit, as many other factors (plus many quirks with the stat combination) will affect its play which you could not otherwise foresee.

Oh, and Dragoons are quite often not so much of "Ranged support" as the backbone of a Protoss army (although late game they are usually heavily mixed with speedlots). As I said, watch some pro replays—your experience with your friends on LAN is not an accurate evaluation of effective Starcraft strategy.

Oh, and Siege Tanks do a bit of sieging (especially in PvZ) but often become frontliners. For example, in TvP tanks generally soak up the damage while vultures stand behind them and take out incoming Zealots (vultures soak up some damage as well but generally die so fast against Dragoons that you want them farther back to help against Zealots).

My favorite race: Protoss
My favorite tactic: the Reaver drop

joining on the debate on tanks and dragoons: I am not sure but a dragoon appears pretty more mobile to me than a tank. could it be said then that the tanks are a bit slower? that would fit with the Terran defense and backbone strategy, versus the quicker Protoss attack.

Your arguments are quite considering, Poot.

Level 40
Protoss definitely has a speed advantage in modern PvT, so Terran usually stays in their base and sends out "Pushes" with a specific goal (for example, take out a few expansions). If the Protoss player surrounds a Terran mech ball the Terran is effectively screwed, but the opposite is true in chokepoints, so in that sense it could be said that the Terran has a little more tactical choice.

Anyhow, don't take it from me; watch some pro PvT. Here's a great match:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yThIvKGEKS0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgZbjlWwAcI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBMmIef_FmM

Level 20
Fine you win... just this last thing: just because people choose to use something as they want doesn't mean it is right. Look at Blademaster, I doubt Blizzard had in mind to use them to harass economy but people still do it.

Also I don't say you win just because I am tired it is because in the end you are right and I'll gladly watch those matches.

Level 7
My favourite race would probably be the Terran.
Compared to the other races, they are reasonably weak and fared worse in the wars, but, to me, the persistance, endurance and downright determination they showed to fight and survive kind of made them the true heroes of the game.
(Does anyone else hate how in every sci-fi fiction or game, humans are always portrayed as far weaker than their alien counterparts?)

Level 6
Realistically, the Terrans should be weaker. They shouldn't even be able to compete with the Protoss; maybe the Zerg, but not the Protoss. Their lasers should be able to tear right through the Terrans armor. Plus, they have energy shields, so the Terrans bullets should be useless against them. The only thing the Terrans have that could do actual damage to the protoss are the Battlecrusiers and Nukes.

Speaking of Tanks and Dragoons. I usually use the tanks as a defensive unit and to advance from outpost to outpost. I don't use tanks for skirmish fights. Tanks are just too expensive and you can't really risk losing that many. Queens are usually the ones that would take my tanks out. They're just too fast. I remember a ton of games where I'd get over a hundred kills with a tank. Those were the days. I can't wait for starcraft 2.

Level 5
Zerg are my favorite race, hands down. Thier many quick, inexpensive units are the base of my favorite stategies, and there is something satisfying about destroying a super alien race with plasma weapons and super tanks with flesh-and-bone creatures.

To PurplePoot, I use Broodlings for everything in SC. A one-shot kill that gives me units cannot be bad. A Defiler Plague followed up a little later with Broodlings is a favorite of mine, and Queens are my #1 defence against tanks. I would frequently use Spawn Broodlings on one of my Ultralisks when it was near death, taking away a kill from the enemy and giving me a good laugh (and some broodlings).

Level 40
Zerg are my favorite race, hands down. Thier many quick, inexpensive units are the base of my favorite stategies, and there is something satisfying about destroying a super alien race with plasma weapons and super tanks with flesh-and-bone creatures.
Heh, I love the swarm feel of the Zerg.

To PurplePoot, I use Broodlings for everything in SC. A one-shot kill that gives me units cannot be bad.
Yes it can. Queens are incredibly easy to kill off, and Broodlings takes an obscene amount of energy. The only high-cost abilities that generally see use (high cost meaning over 100 energy) are usually the defiler abilities (due to Consume being available) and Yamato Cannon (although Battle Cruisers are rarely seen as it is).

A Defiler Plague followed up a little later with Broodlings is a favorite of mine, and Queens are my #1 defence against tanks.
Anyone who masses tanks against Zerg deserves to lose. They make great support, but they are not a front line unit and are often entirely unnecessary.

I would frequently use Spawn Broodlings on one of my Ultralisks when it was near death, taking away a kill from the enemy and giving me a good laugh (and some broodlings).
Broodlings are terrible, taking away a kill is pointless, and that's a waste of energy.

--

If you disagree I'd be happy to play you (Terran vs Zerg) on iCCup.

Status
Not open for further replies.