• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WC3 Download Archive (1.00 - 1.31.1 + BETA & DEMO)

Level 17
Below are lists of WC3 installation and patch downloads.

Please don't share any cracked or otherwise manipulated files.
This list is only intended for people who already own the game, you still need a CD-key!

• 1.01c
  • 1.04c
  • TFT: 1.20a; 1.20e
  • 1.23a
  • 1.28.0; 1.28.1; 1.28.2; 1.28.3; 1.28.4
  • 1.29.0b
  • 1.30.0; 1.30.0a; 1.30.2; 1.30.3

1.07Patch Info:
- Gold Master Version of The Frozen Throne
1.10Patch Info:
- Numerous new features and upgrades to Reign of Chaos
1.13Patch Info:
- Includes Acts II & III of the TFT Orc Bonus Campaign
1.21bPatch Info:
- No longer requires the CD
1.24bPatch Info:
- Max map size increased from 4MB to 8MB
1.25bPatch Info:
- Widescreen support (stretched)
1.27aPatch Info:
- Improved Windows 7/8.1/10 compatibility
1.27bPatch Info:
- Max file size increased from 8MB to 128MB
1.28Patch Info:
- Data migration: user data (saves etc.) now stored in Documents folder
1.28.3Patch Info:
  • RoC and TFT consolidated into one executable/World Editor
  • Main Menu switch between RoC and TFT
1.29.0Patch Info:
  • Widescreen support (not stretched)
  • 24 player support
1.29.0bPatch Info:
  • Many new natives
  • WE limits raised
  • Last version to support WinXP
1.30.0Patch Info:
  • Switch from MPQ to CASC
  • vJASS support
  • Some new natives
  • Tileset size inceased to 16
1.30.1Patch Info:
- Game can use up to 3GB of memory
1.30.2Patch Info:
- Installation supports Reforged pre-purchase keys
1.31.0Patch Info:
  • 64-bit support
  • Beta Lua support
  • Many new WE features

Game Installers

Game Files

Patch Installers

Patch Files

BETA & DEMO

Other Languages

1.21aHiveMEGA
1.28.5HiveMEGA
1.29.1Hive
Hive Post
MEGA
QNAP
1.29.2.9208 PTRHiveMEGA
1.29.2HiveMEGA
1.30.1HiveMEGA
1.30.4Hive
Hive Post
MEGA
QNAP
1.31.1Hive
Hive Post*
MEGA
MediaFire
Google Drive (split zip): 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8
noHD, noCASC
Hive
Hive Post*

* Check out the Hive post for help and more details
Run the installer from the WC3 installation folder if you have multiple installations.

RoC

TFT

Chinese Simplified1.29 1.30 1.31
Chinese Traditional 1.27Hive
Czech 1.27Hive
French 1.27Hive
German 1.27Hive
Italian 1.27Hive
Korean 1.27Hive
Polish 1.27Hive
Russian 1.27Hive
Spanish 1.27Hive

FAQ

Where do I put my Saves/Maps/Campaigns/Screenshots/Replays?

- Up to patch 1.27b, these are located in the installation folder.
- Starting with patch 1.28, these are located in your user Documents folder (C:\Users\[username]\Documents\Warcraft III).

Do I need a CD to launch the game?
- 1.21b is the first patch that drops the CD check. All previous versions require a CD to play.

My singleplayer profile isn't being saved, how do I fix this?
- Download and run SP Profile Fix. It fixes a problem in the registry.

I'm using Windows 98/2000/XP. Can I play WC3?
- See this post. Original system requirements are here.
- XP support is dropped after 1.29.x

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
There is imho something unclear about the contents of the digital download version v1.21b of TFT (that is, 'Warcraft 3 1.21b Frozen Throne Installer enGB' from here). Why is this /Common/War3x.mpq file here exactly? The tome installer mpq already includes one afaik.

I am also pointing out that this digital download 1.21b TFT en-GB version can not be installed on W98SE, even though the corresponding digital download 1.21b RoC en-GB one can be (and afterwards, one can successfully update RoC to v1.26a on W98SE by using the official Blizzard update patch).

For the record, this problematic digital download 1.21b TFT en-GB version will install fine on W2000 (and TFT can then be updated afterwards to v1.26a with the official Blizzard update patch, just like normal).

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Maybe the only one on THW, but probably not the only one in the world.

Does there exist somewhere a list of digests (SHA-1 and/or SHA-256) for the files available from Blizzard? I am especially interested in such a list for their digital download versions (exe + mpqs).

Also, how does one differentiate an en-US release from an en-GB one, without having to install?

Does there exist somewhere a list of digests (SHA-1 and/or SHA-256) for the files available from Blizzard? I am especially interested in such a list for their digital download versions (exe + mpqs).
Hm, not to my knowledge.

Also, how does one differentiate an en-US release from an en-GB one, without having to install?
Maybe it would be helpful if I add that info to the list? I don't think the distinction existed until at least patch 1.27 though, all the patch installers from the old Blizzard site are listed simply as English.

pyf

pyf

Level 32

... looks like neither clrmamepro nor RomCenter are suited for what I have in mind...

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Because Blizzard never offered any ISOs to download afaik, I am guessing it would be *very* questionable to upload the contents of your v1.00 RoC CD anywhere.

I am currently toying with the idea of creating a database in the old CMPro format, of some of the downloadable offline installers currently available from Blizzard's official servers. Should the results of my tests be satisfying, then this database might be used as a way to ensure the integrity of these archived contents. I am using the versions en-GB, en-US and fr-FR of SC, D2 and WC3 for testing.

As for me, creating a database of the contents of any ISOs would imho only encourage piracy in the end. This is why I personally have no intention to inventory the contents of my own CD-ROMs.
... however, nothing prevents me from linking to DatUtil, in case anybody else wants to do so. It is nothing but an old cataloguing tool for the contents of any of one's folders.

Romulus seems to be fit, but I must do lots more testing. Also, I am currently having a look at RomVault, but I am having trouble with it.

IMO it's no different from sharing game files. One could argue it's better, even, since it's an official installer and not a copy of a whole game.
Anyway, since the 1.27 installer is freely available from Blizzard, I don't see any harm in sharing more ancient installers. You still need a CD-key to install, so there's no piracy anyway.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Here is an alpha wip, so you know where I am headed:

database_alpha1.jpg

pyf

pyf

Level 32
The database loaded in Romulus, after it has checked the contents of my folder which contains the official digital downloads from Blizzard, and after each file has been checked for integrity.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
From official classic.battle.net, a few pages of possible interest:

Features, technology and control (with original RoC system requirements)
Warcraft III - F.A.Q. -> Features F.A.Q.

If you have more download links to any [...] game files, [...] please share them :p

Official Warcraft III Maps Archive (last updated 9/20/2006)
Warcraft III - Maps - Bonus Maps
(note: most of them made it to the later patches at some point afaik)

Official Bonus RoC maps:
Warcraft III - Maps - Bonus Maps
Based on its file name, it seems that Rich Man's Garden did not make it to v1.27a (digital)
Roundabout and Enakro's Way are available in v1.27a (digital), but as TFT versions only.

... and for the lolz, as a remembrance of the good old days when things were simpler back then:
Warcraft III - Maps - Map Contest
Will not make it to any official patch *ever* (?).

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
You're welcome. Maybe one will want to make a more detailed report than mine, regarding which maps did not make it to any of the official patches up to and including v1.27a (like for example (2)Justice.w3x) or above?

It believe it could be a very good idea to put some emphasis on the fact that downloading from the official Blizzard links is the way to go. It could also be a good idea to mention that WC3 is available in many languages, each of them having their own specific official upgrade patches.

I think it is important to point out that the official Blizzard 1.27a digital download version is different from an official CD-ROM version upgraded with the official 1.27a patch. The most obvious differences are:
- no Campaigns folder in the WC3 folder after a clean install (and therefore, no DemoCampaign.w3n available)
- no Replay folder in the WC3 folder after a clean install
- no visual C++ 2005 runtime files in the WC3 folder

Any of the two missing folders will be auto-generated by the game itself, after unsuccessfully trying to find any campaigns / replays.
The file DemoCampaign.w3n can be manually extracted from War3x.mpq
The lack of the VC++ 2005 Runtime files in the WC3 folder may or may not be an issue in downgrade scenarios (it may depend if the 32-bit Runtime was already installed or not, it depends on which previous version of the game is run, and on which OS).

Also, I have noticed that in the 1.27a digital download US release, all the exes, dlls an ax files have a digital signature. Well, I remember that in my CD-ROM French version upgraded to v1.27a, not all of them were (and even after upgrading to v1.27b, there were still at least 2 unsigned ones).

The devil is in the details, don't you think?

** Update **

... aaaand ofc I forgot to mention the most important thing: with the 1.27a digital download version, the VC++ 2013 Runtime files *are* in th WC3 folder (note: they were not in the 1.27a upgrade patch!)

Last edited:
I don't think these differences are of much concern to most people, but thanks for pointing it out, good to have this info in the thread :)
I'll add links to other languages for the battle.net/Blizzard/archive.org links if people ask for something specific, but I don't feel like adding links to every possible language :p

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Well, in the past (and even nowadays) some have complained about a missing Campaigns folder. Also, the version of the demo campaign that shipped with TFT used to be sometimes requested on THW.

This is all important for any sensible tech support imho. Now, if only some people could ditch their bootleg versions of the game (and I am not even mentioning those archives with pre-installed versions of WC3 <=1.27a...).

If anybody is inclined to install the official 1.27a digital version, I am curious to read about their experience on OSes >= Vista. I am especially interested about the playback of the FMVs, which used to be a recurrent issue up to and until v1.30.x iirc on modern OSes.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Hmm yeah but I don't think it's hard to find the demo campaign. [...]
Yes, but there may be a catch: the full standalone demo version v1.01 which shipped as a standalone installer has its text and voices in English. There does not exist any localized versions of this standalone demo other than English.

Now, the DemoCampaign.w3n file which shipped with (and requires) TFT, has its textual contents localized in any of the supported language versions of the game. However, it does not come with any localized voices (except the stock generic ones ofc) or even any voices for its dialogues at all. Even the versions of TFT which are in English do not include a copy of DemoCampaign.w3n with English voices for its dialogues.

[...] Folders are easy to create if you know where they should go. [...]
If you know where they should go, and if you know their proper names. 'Campaign' and 'Replays' will not do.
:wink:

[...] What's an FMV?
It stands for Full Motion Video. They are the multimedia files in the Movies folder, masquerading as mpq files while they are in fact *plain* AVI container files. One can rename their extension from MPQ to AVI, and then use MediaInfo to discover almost all their encoding internals.

Last edited:
I'm still looking for 1.29.0 Backup Files, so far I have no luck finding it, I was inactive by the time Blizzard released that patch which is why I wasn't able to make a backup.

I do have backup of 1.30.1 though. I'm willing to provide it through google drive if you guys need it. (Although it might be unnecessary since there's already 1.30.4 but people seem to use 1.30.1 over 1.30.4 for multiplayer with third party tools).

Thanks for the compilation by the way. This is very helpful! It's great to see that there are still someone keeping the real classic alive. I'm saving this thread in my bookmarks.

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
I'm still looking for 1.29.0 Backup Files [...]
I hope you do not want it to play the Rexxar campaign...

[...] It's great to see that there are still someone keeping the real classic alive. [...]
... but which version is the real classic game? And could it be a Mac version? Or any version in a language other than English?
:wink:

I'm still looking for 1.29.0 Backup Files, so far I have no luck finding it, I was inactive by the time Blizzard released that patch which is why I wasn't able to make a backup.

I do have backup of 1.30.1 though. I'm willing to provide it through google drive if you guys need it. (Although it might be unnecessary since there's already 1.30.4 but people seem to use 1.30.1 over 1.30.4 for multiplayer with third party tools).

Thanks for the compilation by the way. This is very helpful! It's great to see that there are still someone keeping the real classic alive. I'm saving this thread in my bookmarks.
Haven't seen 1.29.0 either. Would be nice to add 1.30.1 to the list if you wanna share it, but make sure your CD keys aren't in there (roc.w3k / tft.w3k files IIRC).

I hope you do not want it to play the Rexxar campaign...

I am not staying in classic to play the campaigns or custom games (unless it's mine). I am looking for a stable 1.29 version because it is the only version with widescreen support and new natives, and where Newgen/Sharpcraft is still compatible. I desperately need an editor that allows unlimited object limit, which has been missing since 1.30, and still missing in the current version - 1.32.8.

... but which version is the real classic game?

I don't really debate 'which is the real classic game/version'. Every patch before reforged is what people call a 'classic' version (or perhaps we should start calling it 'legacy' version to make it less confusing). I don't really mind which legacy patch people are using to make maps, all of maps made in legacy classic are playable in 1.31.1 anyway (and possibly 1.32 aswell although I have encountered issues in my maps so I have my doubts).

Here are the few issues I encountered in Reforged that's preventing me to make maps and play custom maps in 1.32+.
- Open Maps window size exceeds offscreen
- Having trouble with camera setup between classic and reforged classic
- Custom unit shadows are still missing
- Dialogs are way to lowered/limited in Reforged
- It still have 30K object limit (for doodads and destructibles) which limits my terraining creativity :p

For now I only play post-Reforged patches for multiplayer.

Would be nice to add 1.30.1 to the list if you wanna share it, but make sure your CD keys aren't in there (roc.w3k / tft.w3k files IIRC).

I will be providing you a GDrive link via PM. It will be temporary (I will be deleting it after 7 ~ 30 days) so I hope you make a copy of it before I delete it.

I don't think there's a chance of me accidentally copying/leaking my w3k files, since it is stored in ProgramData (in Windows OS), and even if I do I already redeemed my keys in my Blizzard account so it will be useless for those who will be able to get it lol.

Last edited:
I am not staying in classic to play the campaigns or custom games (unless it's mine). I am looking for a stable 1.29 version because it is the only version with widescreen support and new natives, and where Newgen/Sharpcraft is still compatible. I desperately need an editor that allows unlimited object limit, which has been missing since 1.30, and still missing in the current version - 1.32.8.
I'm pretty sure I used WEX with 1.29.1/2 before. Worth a try. Although IIRC you need some addresses.xml file or something which you can find somewhere in the comments, but once you replace that file it should work AFAIK.

I will be providing you a GDrive link via PM. It will be temporary (I will be deleting it after 7 ~ 30 days) so I hope you make a copy of it before I delete it.

I don't think there's a chance of me accidentally copying/leaking my w3k files, since it is stored in ProgramData (in Windows OS), and even if I do I already redeemed my keys in my Blizzard account so it will be useless for those who will be able to get it lol.
[/quote]
Cool, thanks. Not sure if I'll be able to upload it somewhere since my MEGA storage is almost full, but I'll download it and keep it on my HDD until I decide where else to put it.

I'm pretty sure I used WEX with 1.29.1/2 before.

1.29.2 unfortunately has a minimap bug (when you order a unit to do <whatever order> through the minimap it doesn't work - like selecting a unit and ordering it to move at a target spot by right clicking the minimap). 1.29.2 also has issues with the new Item triggers (Item - Name, Item - Description, Item - Extended Tooltips etc. - when you try to rename a specific item with Item - Name trigger it will rename all items with similar item type). Player 12 team color is also messed up.

Blizzard did fix these bugs in 1.30 but WEX is no longer compatible in that version because Blizzard decided to switch to CASC.

Last edited:
Reactions: pyf

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
1.29.2 unfortunately has a minimap bug (when you order a unit to do <whatever order> through the minimap it doesn't work - like selecting a unit and ordering it to move at a target spot by right clicking the minimap). 1.29.2 also has issues with the new Item triggers (Item - Name, Item - Description, Item - Extended Tooltips etc. - when you try to rename a specific item with Item - Name trigger it will rename all items with similar item type). Also Player 12 team color is messed up.
Work with 1.29.2+WEX and play the map with 1.30.4 :D

Level 1
I tried running RoC 1.00 but it kept asking for a CD to be inserted which I did. Does it have to actually be a 1.00 CD? Is there a way to get around it?

Edit: Used my older CD instead and it worked.

Last edited:
I tried running RoC 1.00 but it kept asking for a CD to be inserted which I did. Does it have to actually be a 1.00 CD? Is there a way to get around it?
Hmm, it worked for me with a physical CD until I installed TFT. I expect it can be any RoC version CD but who know.
There's no legal way to get around it, but you might be able to find a solution with some searching :)

@loktar, if I give you a place to drop all of this content, will you upload it and update your thread to add HIVE as a mirror?

EDIT: I also have these files locally:
View attachment 363493
Yes, that would be great actually!
And would be great to add those to the list, although most of the TFT patches are already in there.

Edit: I totally forgot to check for RoC patches on archive.org, I will add those links as well later.

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
@loktar : ... and so it begins. And it is not the end of it. Why does nobody listen to my advice and warnings?
:sad::cry::angry:

[...] There's no legal way to get around it, but you might be able to find a solution with some searching :)
THW as a web site does not encourage such practices in any way afaik. cf Rule #10.

@loktar : ... and so it begins. And it is not the end of it. Why does nobody listen to my advice and warnings?
Not a problem, questions are always welcome :)

THW as a web site does not encourage such practices in any way afaik. cf Rule #10.
Indeed it does not.
Although this is a bit of a grey area. Getting around a CD-Rom check isn't necessarily illegal or anything, if the user has a license to play the game. After all, it's just an old-fashioned (and mostly ineffectual) measure against piracy, so if the game itself wasn't pirated, there's not really a problem.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
"And We have certainly created for Hell many of the jinn and mankind. They have hearts with which they do not understand, they have eyes with which they do not see, and they have ears with which they do not hear. Those are like livestock; rather, they are more astray. It is they who are the heedless."

The Quranic Arabic Corpus - Translation

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Not a problem, questions are always welcome :)
And why was such a question asked, and about what, and who made such a question possible, and who provided the means for that question to be posted, and for visitors to read? And what was the answer given, and what does it encourage?

Indeed it does not.
Although this is a bit of a grey area. Getting around a CD-Rom check isn't necessarily illegal or anything, if the user has a license to play the game. After all, it's just an old-fashioned (and mostly ineffectual) measure against piracy, so if the game itself wasn't pirated, there's not really a problem.
I see no grey area here. Only black or white.

Software piracy - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Copyright infringement - Wikipedia

i am not convinced this thread is only about compiling and documenting data for academic and scholar purposes, focused exclusively on the legal and authorized preservation of historical versions of copyrighted software.

It is a great idea of a thread, but it also needs imho rigor and curation.

Everything posted here requires a valid and legal CD key which licenses the user to play the game.
If someone wants to pirate a game, there are ways to do it which are beyond the control of myself of Hive Workshop, and it can be done regardless of the material posted here.
This is as far as the argument goes for me, so I will not respond to posts about this anymore.

Level 20
why file cannot open ?
Perhaps it just doesn't like you? :)

Seriously, though... How is anyone supposed to know how to help you you if you don't even tell us which file doesn't work or what problems you encountered? We're not some long-distance telepaths, dude. If you want help, put in some effort and actually describe what happened, then perhaps someone will know how to fix it.

Level 4
Hi Everyone, I downloaded the 1.29.2.

All of the custom maps work, but when I went in the custom campaigns, there aren't any campaigns!!! :(

I have a custom campaign folder and I have campaigns in it, but I can't play them in the game. they just won't show up.

Thank you.

Attachments

• No Custom Campaigns.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 307