• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Altered Melee] Medieval Strategy Overhaul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
3BrhWnT.jpg

DOWNLOAD HERE -> MedievalStrategyOverhaul_v0.2a

Warcraft: Medieval Strategy Overhaul is a new custom melee map that I'm developing. This project is an overhaul of Warcraft for the best experience in Medieval Real Time Strategy. It combines aspects of Warcraft 3, Stronghold and Age of Empires plus adds many new things - camera zoom system, combat system, upgrade system for all units and buildings, custom pathing for custom buildings, castle system with build-able walk-able walls & rotatable buildings, realistic environments that affect unit stats depending on the terrain + more rivers & bigger maps with miles between players and plenty of room for building castles, updated hero system, custom resources, farming system, and a crafting system for food and gear.

Some of these features have yet to be implemented into my Beta Map that will soon be ready for testing. I don't know how to make them work even though they appear in other Hive systems (many authors are M.I.A. or don't answer my questions) because I lack triggering experience and some of them are quite complex. (Example, rotatable buildings and buildable walkable walls are in @MassiveMaster 's Castle Defense map.) As this project progresses hopefully someone can help or teach me.

Here's a mechanics overview and all my art assets.

ssl1sUD.jpg

(Feel free to ZOOM IN, images are high res)

r2xcFUi.jpg

Sorry about the different image scaling confusing unit size.
The Light Cavalry needs to be reanimated and Villager Female needs attachments.
Also, the front view angle isn't the best for showing off unit attachments,
I'll post more pictures of units later + list of all unit types.

1uCnZuo.jpg

fvkMC8t.jpg

Again, sorry about the scaling confusion.
The Fortress needs to be redone so it has upgrades.

RklC3h1.jpg

Sneak peak of an early play through...

CHANGELOG

0.2a - Implemented

Added Quests - Tutorial, Camera & Credits
Fixed missing icons
Building size reduced by 10-20%
Custom Pathing for Buildings
Additional tech requirements
Shortened file name (Now appears in game list)
Added descriptions to Attack and Armor types (% vs armor types, % vs attack types)\
Locked Player Settings (Always Human)
Added more stone throughout map
Walls slightly more expensive
Hawk & Falcon sight range increased
Updated Cavalry Icons
Implemented Markmanship Upgrade (train at Archery Target)
Implemented Canine Training and Animal Husbandry (Train at Barn)
Implemented unused abilities that had required upgrades (Smoke Bomb, Piercing Ballista, Burning Oil - Explosive Barrel)
Fixed Market and Cathedrals shop abilities - Items now buyable (Item Abilities still need work)
Paths can now be built upon
Updated Stone Gathering Trigger - Some loopholes fixed + Return Resources ability for stone.
Updated Item Abilities + Added New Items

Last edited:

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Good topic; Warcraft engine is wonderful and I doubt the vanilla implementation delivers the best RTS experience.

Level 11
Very interesting project dude. I'll keep an eye on it.
Thanks mate - hope you can help test soon.

May I ask where have you got the Right handed shields from? The bucklers that are, I can only get them in left handed form, may you please show me where you've gotten them from?
Yeah. Well, the ones I downloaded came as left handed, so I edited them on mdlvis to be right handed. If you want, I can send you the files.

Level 11
Thanks mate - hope you can help test soon.

Yeah. Well, the ones I downloaded came as left handed, so I edited them on mdlvis to be right handed. If you want, I can send you the files.

Yes, thank you.

By the way the attachments are a little wrong on the Light Cavalry, the weapon is supposed to go on the right hand and the shield on the left. That model also has a few problems with attachments and lot of clipping involved.

Last edited:
Level 21
I'm doing a somewhat similar project. How much do you understand about mathematics?
In default WC3, armor and evasion are just health(and healing) increases. They don't really add any interesting mechanics in that way.
Instead, for armor I use flat damage reduction. Look at the Hardened Skin ability for this.
I also plan to trigger a version of evasion that can entirely block an attack, but will never work again as long as someone keeps hitting you. That makes it necessary to actually avoid damage and stay mobile, which fits well with what evasion is supposed to be.

Level 11
Yes, thank you.

By the way the attachments are a little wrong on the Light Cavalry, the weapon is supposed to go on the right hand and the shield on the left. That model also has a few problems with attachments and lot of clipping involved.

Alright, gonna send you a PM with a link to the files.

Glad you noticed. I know, the model I'm using needs to be reanimated along with a couple others.

I'm doing a somewhat similar project. How much do you understand about mathematics?
In default WC3, armor and evasion are just health(and healing) increases. They don't really add any interesting mechanics in that way.
Instead, for armor I use flat damage reduction. Look at the Hardened Skin ability for this.
I also plan to trigger a version of evasion that can entirely block an attack, but will never work again as long as someone keeps hitting you. That makes it necessary to actually avoid damage and stay mobile, which fits well with what evasion is supposed to be.

Oh cool. Hope we can trade helpful info. Enough I suppose...
Not sure if I agree with you there. I think wc3 mechanics are fine + more than most games... Still, more is better.
That's nice - not sure if that'll work for my project with armor - specifically - the damage/armor type bonus/reduction. Maybe the evasion could work though.
Good, I was thinking about doing something similar with units that have a shield. Also wanna do a unit veteran system later on.

Are you good with triggers? I need help importing a few triggers from other projects. Your system's look good - I might implement them to my project if its ok with you + credits

Last edited:
Level 21
I'm not saying that WC3 mechanics are bad in general, but rather that it's important to understand their point. Armor and evasion were intended to be essentially just health increases against everything except magic. Thus, magic would gain relevance over time as players get upgrades. This was so that heroes would remain relevant as unit amounts increase.
Using it for an RTS like this isn't supported very well though. What exactly does it give you strategically? What goes into the decision of whether to get armor or health? They're the same thing in default WC3! So unless you have magic damage the system just doesn't have a point.
Flat damage reduction, however, is very interesting. Just by manipulating the damage and armor amounts of units you can create chains of counters.
E.g, archers beat hordes of unarmored units due to range. Armored units, however, can close the gap. But armored units are more expensive and end up losing to the sheer numbers of unarmored units. Voila, a chain of counters.

Each race in my project has 2 differences compared to humans - how their stats are allocated and what passive they have. Humans have average stats and their passive is that units gain XP. XP makes units take less and deal more damage, both of them after armor so it wouldn't affect counters too much. I guess this is what you mean by veteran system.
For instance, Undead have less health, but more armor. Their passive is 50% lifesteal. Naturally lifesteal is strong, but in reality undead don't like large fights, because their units get focused down before they get to use their passive. The health and armor balance is set so that they don't actually gain survivability from having high armor, unless lifesteal is counted it. It's essentially like an amplifier for healing.

I am pretty good with triggers. I've coded dozens of custom spells over time. However, I don't really code other people's maps because it makes them too reliant on me.
Yeah, you can use my systems if you want. That's why I uploaded them. They're not really the best though, as my coding wasn't as good back then as it is now.

Level 11
I'm not saying that WC3 mechanics are bad in general, but rather that it's important to understand their point. Armor and evasion were intended to be essentially just health increases against everything except magic. Thus, magic would gain relevance over time as players get upgrades. This was so that heroes would remain relevant as unit amounts increase.
Using it for an RTS like this isn't supported very well though. What exactly does it give you strategically? What goes into the decision of whether to get armor or health? They're the same thing in default WC3! So unless you have magic damage the system just doesn't have a point.
Flat damage reduction, however, is very interesting. Just by manipulating the damage and armor amounts of units you can create chains of counters.
E.g, archers beat hordes of unarmored units due to range. Armored units, however, can close the gap. But armored units are more expensive and end up losing to the sheer numbers of unarmored units. Voila, a chain of counters.

Each race in my project has 2 differences compared to humans - how their stats are allocated and what passive they have. Humans have average stats and their passive is that units gain XP. XP makes units take less and deal more damage, both of them after armor so it wouldn't affect counters too much. I guess this is what you mean by veteran system.
For instance, Undead have less health, but more armor. Their passive is 50% lifesteal. Naturally lifesteal is strong, but in reality undead don't like large fights, because their units get focused down before they get to use their passive. The health and armor balance is set so that they don't actually gain survivability from having high armor, unless lifesteal is counted it. It's essentially like an amplifier for healing.

I am pretty good with triggers. I've coded dozens of custom spells over time. However, I don't really code other people's maps because it makes them too reliant on me.
Yeah, you can use my systems if you want. That's why I uploaded them. They're not really the best though, as my coding wasn't as good back then as it is now.

Ok. How so? Armor and evasion don't increase health - armor is % reduction and armor type determines what those %'s are. Default evasion is also a % to miss and % of damage taken if the unit is moving.

Wc3 mechanics help with many things - one being - gives me a nice system for different armor types receiving proportional amounts of damage and allows a strong polearm vs cavalry bonus by making cavalry an armor type. That system is key to strategic counters for all units. Armor and health are determined by what type of armor and type of soldier along with other stats like movement speed. Not sure if I agree with you... I plan to not have magic damage - need to trigger abilities to cause the standard types of damage in my map - Stab, Smash, Slice or Strike. Maybe I'm missing your point - if I knew how to trigger I'd add more complex mechanics too but I feel wc3 does a good enough job for a classic game and my simple project which can later be expanded.

Flat damage reduction? Maybe in other maps - pointless for my system because that would unbalance having multiple armor and damage types with fixed % rates. Lol - I guess that's a chain of counters but that would still work with the default wc3 mechanics. Also don't forget about other factors like movement speed, stealth abilities, and siege weapons with fire bombs. I agree that adding more triggers and custom abilities adds more depth to the mechanics but I disagree that the default is pointless and as limited as you claim, especially about the armor, evasion and hp- those are all separate mechanics- they are not just health, they influence and variate health and damage.

Interesting - Medieval with fantasy races? Nice, that is quite similar to my veteran system. Lol undead should have less health and less armor - those bones are brittle and decomposing. Cool passives though. It'll be tough to balance but the change in gameplay and build-types for each race should mix it up for a fun game.

Cool. Wish I had more experience in triggers. Aw man - well if you don't help others - can you teach others? I just wanna figure out how to implement a trigger from another map into my map. Copying and pasting works but its always half broken and needs adjusting... I'm just not experienced enough to re-adjust it for my map. Good- I'll definitely consider using your commander and group control systems. Maybe you should update the old systems for your new coding skills then?

Level 21
Armor and evasion are effectively the same as health increases in percentages. They don't affect balance in any interesting way. It's quite easy to calculate the gain that they give. By default each point of armor increases effective health by 6% of base amount. For evasion it's a little bit more complicated to calculate.
Again, there is no effect that armor increases can give you that health increases can't, unless you have spell damage, because spell damage ignores armor.
About flat damage reduction, I have had no such problem. In fact I don't need to use the usual armor types at all, although if I wanted I could make them work after flat reduction, for instance. That way both systems would contribute without unbalancing the game.
The chain of counters that I outlined would work, but some others related to it wouldn't. In default WC3 there is no way to do a unit that is better at piercing armor, because that would really just mean a damage increase against every unit. Sure you could configure the armor types, but this is still limiting.

For me undead having more armor kinda makes sense. They don't have to care so much about their health, because they're already dead, so they can carry ridiculously heavy armors without worrying about the consequences.
Actually, the balancing has so far been really easy. The key here is that I can balance every passive separately because only one race has each passive. The stat differences are also balanced perfectly because the way I balance passives is that each passive is equally useful. Basically I've split the balancing into parts that are easy on their own.

I can give advice, yes.

Level 11
Armor and evasion are effectively the same as health increases in percentages. They don't affect balance in any interesting way. It's quite easy to calculate the gain that they give. By default each point of armor increases effective health by 6% of base amount. For evasion it's a little bit more complicated to calculate.
Again, there is no effect that armor increases can give you that health increases can't, unless you have spell damage, because spell damage ignores armor.
About flat damage reduction, I have had no such problem. In fact I don't need to use the usual armor types at all, although if I wanted I could make them work after flat reduction, for instance. That way both systems would contribute without unbalancing the game.
The chain of counters that I outlined would work, but some others related to it wouldn't. In default WC3 there is no way to do a unit that is better at piercing armor, because that would really just mean a damage increase against every unit. Sure you could configure the armor types, but this is still limiting.

For me undead having more armor kinda makes sense. They don't have to care so much about their health, because they're already dead, so they can carry ridiculously heavy armors without worrying about the consequences.
Actually, the balancing has so far been really easy. The key here is that I can balance every passive separately because only one race has each passive. The stat differences are also balanced perfectly because the way I balance passives is that each passive is equally useful. Basically I've split the balancing into parts that are easy on their own.

I can give advice, yes.

I'm not even gonna argue with you but I still disagree.

lol, wtf. Undead don't even have the muscles left to carry anything... Guess I'm being too realistic - undead don't even make realistic sense.

I need to figure out how to implement triggers from @MassiveMaster 's Castle Defense map found here. There are triggers for rotating built structures and building walkable walls. I can copy and paste the triggers into my map put it's too complex to figure out how to adjust them to work for my map. Can you explain a method to me or download the map yourself and tell me what I need to adjust so it works for my map?

i want to be a beta tester! :) the project looks very promising

Alright! Sure thing, glad to have you as a tester. Thanks, hope this becomes the best medieval RTS experience for wc3.

Level 11
Interesting.I will be watching.I may help testing,if I have free time
Awesome. Thanks

It sounds ambitious and epic! I like it!

I've seen you're using a trebuchet model. I've made a request some times ago to add wheels to this model, are you interested?
Thanks mate. It's far from being done but its almost in a testable state for combat with basic features for now.

Actually I'm using two. The one under the big trebuchet I think you're talking about folds up into a cart (alternate form) - that one is the main trebuchet. That big one that I think you're talking about on the top - that's the trebuchet warwolf - and historically those didn't have wheels so I'm not really interested in doing it. Also wouldn't do it because I probably can't animate the wheels although copying and pasting on wheels off another model would be pretty easy for anyone to do.

Level 9
Yes, I was talking about the big one :)! Didn't know historically for the wheels... But, just in case, the wheels of the model are animated.

EDIT : I wasn't asking for the request, I was offering to share what someone did for one of my request ^^

Just forgot one thing : I'm in for testing!

Last edited:
Level 11
Yes, I was talking about the big one :)! Didn't know historically for the wheels... But, just in case, the wheels of the model are animated.

EDIT : I wasn't asking for the request, I was offering to share what someone did for one of my request ^^

Just forgot one thing : I'm in for testing!

Oo0oo ok. Hmm, that's interesting - I was going to eventually build a platform to rotate on - might as well have the wheels there. Sure, I'll take it - Thanks.

Haha, great! Glad to have you on board.

Level 21
There are instructions in Castle Defence, so you'll have to elaborate a bit more about what it is that doesn't work. The main thing that I can see is that various triggers use rawcodes directly, so you'll have to change those if you didn't use the original map. E.g 'A00N'.

The stuff I said about armor and evasion aren't really a matter of opinion. It's just mathematics. You can't make a unit in default WC3 that is better the more armor an opponent has.

Level 11
The instructions only go over unit id and only allow for a specific set of units and buildings. So I gotta figure out how to change some variables and change+add more units and buildings to the trigger. When I copy and paste the triggers from that map to my map, it doesn't work because the variables+units/buildings change from that map to my map. I see some obvious lines to change but most are complex so I'm not sure about everything that I have to change so that it works. Also would changing the unit id of the walls in my map to match the id of the castle defense map help make some of the trigger work?

Level 21
It should help, yes.
You can find every unit ID in the triggers quite easily if you know what to look for. They are always between ' signs.
However, adding new types is something that's bound to be more complicated. You need to be able to read and understand the code for that.

Level 11
Nice. Cool, that'll help me find em. Well, guess I have to look harder or find someone that knows jass/triggers...
If you can look through it and tell me what has to change, I'd really appreciate it, but if it's too much to do it's all good. Thanks for the help

Level 11
Well, it's been a week. I've made a lot of progress on buildings, custom pathing, upgrades, techs, and stuff that I wasn't gonna do for the beta test but its ok it'll just add the quality experience and be worth the extra wait. All that's left is unit stats, costs and abilities + Terrain

I'm estimating one more week for having the beta test version ready - could be more or less though, my school semester just started and is messing with my schedule.

Level 9
First rule with schedules : no schedules :p! More seriously, take your time, the beta release is an important step. I agree with the quality experience thing!

You have a good concept, you seem to have a good realisation of it, and you have testers ready to give it a look. Keep up, you're close ;)!

not that relevant but i have a suggestion that may or may not work for your map, or be worth the effort.

if you want to be realistic, have the 'mainline' infantry be spearmen instead of swordsmen. not only is this more historically accurate (spears were to swords what rifles are to handguns, i.e. weapon of war vs. sidearm), it could emphasise mechanics like formations and bracing against cavalry charges. the classic "spearmen deal 150% damage vs cavalry and suck against everything else" is very simplistic, robbing the potential for a lot of interesting counterplay options. in real life, how effective spearmen were against cavalry depended on their formation, morale, and how heavily armoured the cavalry were.

tl;dr make spearmen the primary infantry, emphasise counterplay through tactical usage rather than damage tables (e.g. tight formation spearmen > charging cavalry, but archers > tight formation spearmen, but loose formation spearmen > archers and artillery)

now, it's fairly obvious that your map isn't going for total war realism and is more along the lines of the arcade-y AoE feel, but hopefully it's at least some food for thought. we rarely see a map - or even a game, for that matter - attempt to even shallowly replicate these nuances of real medieval combat.

whether you consider this or not, good luck with finishing the map (y)

Level 11
not that relevant but i have a suggestion that may or may not work for your map, or be worth the effort.

if you want to be realistic, have the 'mainline' infantry be spearmen instead of swordsmen. not only is this more historically accurate (spears were to swords what rifles are to handguns, i.e. weapon of war vs. sidearm), it could emphasise mechanics like formations and bracing against cavalry charges. the classic "spearmen deal 150% damage vs cavalry and suck against everything else" is very simplistic, robbing the potential for a lot of interesting counterplay options. in real life, how effective spearmen were against cavalry depended on their formation, morale, and how heavily armoured the cavalry were.

tl;dr make spearmen the primary infantry, emphasise counterplay through tactical usage rather than damage tables (e.g. tight formation spearmen > charging cavalry, but archers > tight formation spearmen, but loose formation spearmen > archers and artillery)

now, it's fairly obvious that your map isn't going for total war realism and is more along the lines of the arcade-y AoE feel, but hopefully it's at least some food for thought. we rarely see a map - or even a game, for that matter - attempt to even shallowly replicate these nuances of real medieval combat.

whether you consider this or not, good luck with finishing the map (y)

Hey - thanks for the feedback. I like where you're going with this however I'm leaving unit production up to the player. If the player wants to mass up swordsmen or spearmen, its up to the players - you have a point tho, I know it is historically accurate and happened because spearmen were cheaper than fully armored knights - that difference in unit cost will reflect into the game too.

I'd love to have unit formations and a working spear wall that could counter cavalry but that requires a lot of custom scripting - maybe one day when I have someone experienced in triggering to help me make that possible. Or if I can find a similar system here on Hive and I can figure out how to implement it. I would love to have different unit formations, charging units, spear/shield walls and all that. For now it will be the standard wc3 combat system with overhauled damage/armor mechanics.

Yeah - spearmen already have a 175% bonus vs cavalry if you look at the images on page 1 - mechanics overview has a damage table.

I like all your suggestions and most are already in effect or in the works- I can also say each unit type will be unique with their own abilities. Also different weapons will have realistic cooldowns and differences (example: maces/hammer will be slow and cause staggering than swords which will be fast and cause bleeding.)

Well, I would want it as realistic as possible but for wc3 I can only do so much y'know. Maybe one day, if this map is popular I can remake it on a Unity system to be much more realistic and have its own game engine however that's a long way away and takes man power and $.

Level 11
Updated the line up of ships - amount of ships up from 4 to 8 now. Also reshaped the longboat to be less round and more long. I feel it's still a bit lacking and there needs to be some modeling/texturing touch ups however it's an improvement and adds more basic and advanced ships for more options.

V6QDjmP.jpg

Level 11
Yet another week of progress - However its still not ready for testing. I feel I have greatly underestimated the time it takes to do stats for ~200 units. On top of that, I'm getting more and more homework from school that's chipping away at my free time.

So here's what I got done and what's left to do before I feel comfortable releasing a rough alpha test map.
Finished - New Icons, Resource Costs, Build Times, Movement Speeds, Sight Radius, Unit Sounds, Some Abilities, Unit Upgrade System.
Unfinished - Terrain (50%), Requirements (techtree), Damage & HP amounts, Weapon Sounds, Unit Descriptions (50%), More Abilities.

Also, there's a lot that still needs works for the future however the triggering and jazz customizing is beyond my skill. Going to need help to implement triggers/jazz found in MassiveMaster's Castle Defense which features rotating buildings, buildable walkable walls, new construction + building upgrade system, and more.

As for the test map - I want to say one more week but idk really with my schedule right now.

Level 9
Also, there's a lot that still needs works for the future however the triggering and jazz customizing is beyond my skill. Going to need help to implement triggers/jazz found in MassiveMaster's Castle Defense which features rotating buildings, buildable walkable walls, new construction + building upgrade system, and more.

When I'll be less busy with Peoples of Middle Earth, I can give it a look. But I can't promise anything on what I'll be able to do ^^

Level 11
Alriiight - another week has come and gone. The map is technically ready for for a test play (not even close to alpha yet tho). However things are so rough that I would feel bad testing a half baked production that it is now. On a brighter note, I found someone to help me with triggers and pathing so I'm starting to implement key game features that will make the map testable as an alpha: custom pathing, working gates, new construction system & walkable wall system from @MassiveMaster 's castle defense map. Give it another week or two, I feel I've already made everyone wait almost a month, so might as well wait another week or so for a more complete alpha version that we can enjoy so much more.

Level 9
Glad to know you found someone for the trigger! Dunno if I would have been able to help you much with it ^^"

Always wanted to play Warcraft 3 in strongholds with walkable walls, upgradable towers, gates, etc...!

Level 11
Update: Since everyones still waiting. Here's the new tier 1-5 line up of spear man + updated navy. Reshaped the Human Transport Ship, Rowboat, and the Longship.
(EDIT: Unit #5 's helmet is incorrect - updated to footman helmet.)

jEWfl9s.jpg

A5iyrLj.jpg

Last edited:
Level 6
Suggestions for future additions:
Pitch Traps
Spike Traps
Revolutions
Drafts
Wall-Mounted Traps (boulders, flaming logs, pitch pots, ect.)
Religion-Based Units
Natural Disasters
Pikemen
Horsemen
Caltrops
Swordsmen
Flaming Ballistae
Apothecary
King's Own Sword (very elite swordsmen)(may need nerfing)
Diseased Cows (Catapult launches a diseased cow over your enemy's walls)
In game restart mechanic

Level 11
Suggestions for future additions:
Pitch Traps
Spike Traps
Revolutions
Drafts
Wall-Mounted Traps (boulders, flaming logs, pitch pots, ect.)
Religion-Based Units
Natural Disasters
Pikemen
Horsemen
Caltrops
Swordsmen
Flaming Ballistae
Apothecary
King's Own Sword (very elite swordsmen)(may need nerfing)
Diseased Cows (Catapult launches a diseased cow over your enemy's walls)
In game restart mechanic

Great ideas mate.

Wow, I totally forgot about traps.
Oh man, adding some Sim City elements - I like.
Already got some Priesthood units of Christianity + Wise-Men. Should I include another religion?
Pikemen exist + bonus vs cavalry. I want to implement a spearwall/shieldwall system too.
Flaming shots from catapult, ballista, and trebuchet already implemented.
Diseased shots are yet to be implemented but are coming soon.
Apothecary- NICE! Great way to implement potions and other nice consumables for heroes.
Idk about weapon items, cause then I'd have to do it for every hero... Also balance issues
Restart? Interesting... so you can play another round after you're done? Nice

Status
Not open for further replies.