• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. đź”—Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III Reforged 1.32.10 PTR Patch Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
1.32.10 PTR PATCH NOTES

🚨🚨🚨 PSA: Please test your maps on the PTR. 🚨🚨🚨

Blizzard said: blizzarrow.gif

Lok’Tar everyone!

First, we’d like to give you a quick update on where we are on ranked play, leaderboards, and player profiles. The Warcraft team is committed to delivering you these features, however, due to the nature of the world today, it’s taking longer than we planned. We thank you, our passionate community, for your understanding and continuing to support Warcraft III.

Today we’ve begun publicly testing patch 1.32.10, which addresses a critical bugfix that allowed players to exploit information from the opposing players by using rally points in the fog of war. Thank you to all of the players who reached out to inform us about this issue. Additionally, with the ESL Pro League wrapping up for 2020, we’ve decided to make some balance updates to address some key community feedback about item balance, item pricing, and some pain points for both Human and Undead. We also revisited previous changes.

Once again, thank you to all of the community contributors who continue to put out content and send us great feedback. Please test these changes via the PTR, as we will be monitoring it and calibrating throughout the PTR phase. Please remember these changes are a work in progress and subject to change, so please continue to provide feedback. We hope to release this patch sometime in mid-April, depending on how feedback and testing goes.

-- The Warcraft III Team

BALANCE

• HUMAN
    • Improved Lumber tech requirement removed.
    • Advanced Lumber tech requirement changed from Castle to Keep.
      • Developers’ notes: In a Human vs Undead matchup, the Human player is generally expected to lose some peasants throughout the early- to mid-game. The Human player also must invest in a lot of wood for early defense, and use militia quite frequently to defend, which causes them to have gold to wood ration imbalances. This change should help Human players balance their economy and make it slightly easier to transition into the later part of the game and unlock key units against Undead.
    • Knights now have Sundering Blades by default.
      • Developers’ notes: With the addition of the Sundering Blade passive, we’ve really seen a lot more Knight usage and we like that a lot. However, it takes a long time for Knights to come online with their multiple upgrades. We feel that allowing Sundering Blades to be on Knights by default allows them to have an immediate impact when built, while giving them some uniqueness as a heavy late game unit.
    • Priest dispel range increased from 600 to 700.
      • Developers’ notes: Changes to the overall meta have moved players toward favoring range units in certain matchups. We noticed that whenever a priest would try to cast dispel, they would immediately get focused down by piercing damage and be killed immediately. This slight increase in range should improve the usability and quality life for the priest.
    • Scout Tower / Guard Tower / Cannon Tower / Arcane Tower repair rate is now 5 seconds faster.
      • Developers’ notes: This was a change we tested in a previous PTR, but pulled away from to see how the previous patch performed. Since then, we’ve seen players shift to more ranged units, and we feel this change is needed to help Humans defend against certain pushes. Currently, even if a Human reacts immediately to a threat with a handful of peasants, it is still not enough to prevent their towers from going down.
    • Siege Engine tank experience bounty reduced from 85 to 60.
      • Developers’ notes: While we wanted to reduce the overall effectiveness of certain siege engine strategies, we realized that due to the inflexibility of our experience leveling system, setting the bounty at 85 was too high. There has been some ongoing community sentiment that tanks were in a good place previously, so we’ve reduced the experience bounty. We will continue to monitor this and may test additional changes in lieu of this one.

• NIGHT ELF
    • Druid of the Claw starting mana increased from 100 to 125.
      • Developers’ notes: A small quality of life change that was requested by the community, which also helps master bears have slightly more utility right away.

• UNDEAD
    • Acolyte hit point Regeneration while on Blight reduced from 4 to 3 HP per second.
      • Developers’ notes: In a previous patch we saw the regen rate on Blight double. This was to address the vulnerability of the unit being exposed and stationary while mining gold. As the overall spirit of the change was heading in the right direction, we’re reducing the number slightly to allow for more harassment opportunities from the opposing player.
    • Rod of Necromancy cooldown reduced from 26 to 24 seconds.
      • Developers’ notes: Slight calibration of the previous change. We’ve noticed that this change has more effect on UD creeping than intended, so we’re reducing this number slightly.
    • Ritual Dagger gold cost reduced from 125 to 100.
      • Developers’ notes: We’re reducing the cost of the Ritual Dagger to promote its use more and to bring its cost in line with its healing performance.
    • Cryptlord impale Stun Hero duration reduced from 1/2/3 to 1/1.5/2, and Cryptlord damage reduced from 75/120/165 to 60/110/150.
      • Developers’ notes: We’re bringing the overall hero stun duration in line with other hero stun abilities. Please note- its overall stun duration against units remains unchanged. While looking at impale and potentially changing other units in other factions, we noticed that the threat of impale damage is the main reason that certain strategies are not viable against an Undead player that goes Cryptlord first and levels fast.
    • Frost Armor duration is now scaled per level.
      • Level 1: Frost duration 2 seconds.
      • Level 2: Frost duration 4 seconds.
      • Level 3: Frost duration 6 seconds.
      • Developers’ notes: This was something that the community has been requesting for some time, and it addresses the early power spike against melee units, while still allowing the ability to scale up as the Lich levels up. This tuning makes the ability slightly worse at level 1, the same as it is currently at level 2, and better at level 3.
    • Boneyard no longer requires sacrificial pit.
      • Developers’ notes: We currently believe it takes too long for Frost Wyrms to see play. This change should allow players to find strategies to use frost worms and should also help in conjunction to the knight change in this patch.

• ITEMS
    • Alleria’s Flute of Accuracy bonus reduced from 0.1 to 0.075.
    • Ancient Janggo of Endurance bonuses reduced from 0.05/0.1 to 0.03/0.075.
    • Khadgar’s Pipe of Insight bonus reduced from 0.75 to 0.5.
    • Legion Doom-Horn bonuses reduced from 0.5 / 1.0 to 0.3 / 0.75.
    • Scourge Bone Chimes bonus reduced from 0.2 to 0.15.
    • Warsong Battle Drums bonus reduced from 0.1 to 0.075.
    • The Lion Horn of Stormwind bonus reduced from 2 to 1.5.
    • All items’ re-sell percentage increased from 50% to 75% of the item’s original cost.
      • Developers’ notes: These are probably the biggest changes in this patch. We’re making some changes to all the Aura items to reduce their effectiveness. We believe that these aura items do have a place in the game but should not have parity in power to the actual hero ability. Also, due to the nature of some items being more impactful than others, we’re increasing the sell rate of items to help mitigate some potential “bad item luck” that players may experience, which can ultimately determine the outcome of some games.

BUGFIX
  • Fixed an issue of inconsistent rally flag behavior on Goldmines which could reveal player locations in the Fog of War.

And here we will try to list all undocumented changes:

• Player slot counts on BNet are more sane. - Source.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 18
All I really expect is what I paid for, which is everything that we had in Warcraft 3 but with pretty graphics. I don't need more than that, even if it'd be nice to get more.
hard to expect custom campaigns at this point, they keep mentioning just those 3 things that they say they "committed to", 0 mention of campaigns, maybe it was gonna be brought up on the last blog that never came out which they said it would but I doubt it's even gonna come out at this point.

Level 20
due to the nature of the world today
Why am I not surprised this is the excuse they've used...

I guess the patch is okay if you're into melee W3, but it's also disappointing to see that we waited so long for so little. The pessimistic takeaway here is that if they plan to release this patch in April, then even if we assume that the ladder patch is next, we should really expect it to come out until autumn.

The optimistic takeaway is that this is the first message we got from the new Reforged team - it's nice to get a confirmation that someone is working on W3 and that the ladder patch hasn't been canceled. And maybe if they're talking to us again, it means they're done with taking over the project and things will start to progress more smoothly from now on? Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Level 10
Yeah it kind of sucks that they couldn't even be honest about the classic team getting booted and had to go with the COVID card.

As many others have said hopefully this leads to something good eventually with a different team, and is nice something is happening for wc3

Kasrkin

Hosted Project: LoA
Level 26

Druid of the Claw starting mana increased from 100 to 125.
  • Developers’ notes: A small quality of life change that was requested by the community, which also helps master bears have slightly more utility right away.
Night elves, irrelevant even when they're outside of world of warcraft.

Last edited:
Seems like if what we want are custom campaigns, Warsmash might excel at that especially about 1 year from now, even if I am lazy and slow about adding multiplayer.

I guess the patch is okay if you're into melee W3, but it's also disappointing to see that we waited so long for so little. The pessimistic takeaway here is that if they plan to release this patch in April, then even if we assume that the ladder patch is next, we should really expect it to come out until autumn.

The optimistic takeaway is that this is the first message we got from the new Reforged team - it's nice to get a confirmation that someone is working on W3 and that the ladder patch hasn't been canceled. And maybe if they're talking to us again, it means they're done with taking over the project and things will start to progress more smoothly from now on? Fingers crossed.
I suppose it is entertaining that people still post like this. I'm not able to look at Reforged in a disappointed way anymore, other than for the fact that people choose to be disappointed (which is disappointing for fans to make that choice!). The way to be disappointed about Reforged is to not understand the nature of the world today, because if we think about the world today, people creating Reforged is amazing. It's an amazing love letter to the Warcraft 3 modding community. When other people were getting radio silence, I pestered people I met online who were related to the Reforged project with thoughts and ideas and inspiration, and yet I only bought about $2000 worth of copies of Reforged which wasn't enough for them to keep their jobs. THEY should be disappointed in ME.

When I go back and review message history with Reforged devs from for example Jan 21, 2019, they say things like this:

Keep in mind that in 1.31 you'll get complete custom UI and extended mouse and keyboard events.
So many things can be straight up made as systems now
I know you're not under NDA, but please keep that information to yourself.

I replied: "Okay. To me that sounds almost like imaginary pie the in the sky, but I guess potentially it could solve the same thing." [I had been requesting a particular feature]

With the custom UI you could make your own custom build system and custom resources. There's really no limit.
It's more work initially, but I'm pushing these features first, since they're way more flexible than a custom ability.
We have a very good community, so making custom systems with this should hopefully happen fast.

I replied: "That seems very true. I guess I will have to wait for the patch, and if for some reason I can't accomplish my dream Custom Build ability on that patch, I could let you know"

I know I've been brought in under the assumption that I'll be doing WC3 for at least the next 3-4 years.
But at the same time, I know plans can easily change.
So I definitely want to push the flexible systems first, so if/when development dies down, we have all the ingredients to make tons of systems, instead of just a few finished systems that do one thing.
I'm still very much in the mindset of a WC3 modder here, and trying to squeeze this lemon for every drop it has.
: P

This person clearly delivered on all their promises and was insightful and forward-looking. The stuff they describe in these messages were indeed added for Reforged. This person spent the time to chat with me on Discord yet did not implement what I asked for and instead implemented something better -- something designed to let the modding community go further given the limited available time this person had working on this game.

If there's something to feel let down about, it is us -- the community. Anybody who accepts the false narrative that Reforged is bad and does not deliver on what it aimed to do is part of the problem weighing us down. But this is not much of a Warcraft specific problem; it is more of a societal problem that even I myself feel like I am losing grip on objective truth if I spend too much time online, given the way that the science of manipulating the information flow to my brain is always getting better and better.

With that said, after I saw the Reforged announcement I began planning to build an ark, of sorts. Up until Reforged's announcement I believed that all of the patches for Warcraft III game engine were focused on improving the game engine for me and people like me and for how I enjoyed using the game for modding and stuff. But when I saw what Reforged 2018 demo was, and how it replaced the Warcraft III render pipeline with new shinier code designed to play something newer and fancier, I became convinced that although I knew I would enjoy playing this new thing there was not any way this new product would be compatible with my knowledgebase as someone who makes MDX model files. The MDX format at the time was not physically capable of describing the models teased at Blizzcon 2018, and it would have been a huge programming effort to change that, let alone support some weird duality between the new and old systems.

So, it was based on this that I began working to build an ark where I could have a remake of the SD game that plays W3X files and MDX files and all these other things that I know and enjoy even though it was clear to me that the Blizzard product was going to diverge into some totally new and cool but different thing.

It is now 3 years later and it is amazing if you look at Reforged and how far Warcraft III has come. Namely, I predicted incorrectly -- Reforged supports the old MDX model format better than the ark ever will -- and supports simultaneously duality with the new assets and art and their new code. Reforged delivered on a ridiculous and herculean idea of "still being the Warcraft III game" which means too many things to too many people (often people who want mutually exclusive things!)

The problem is us. The problem is not voting with our wallets to keep dedicated developers working on this game like how they kept promising they wanted to. Despite the Reforged release version supporting any and all Warcraft III modding I could possibly want to do from any avenue, the ark has become some strange seductive temptation for me. I go to the bathroom while I'm trying to do my day job and I look at a wall and the world fades and I just think about the ark, and how some day I'll have a blademaster cast Wind Walk within the ark. And it's really emotional and exciting while I'm taking a bathroom break to think about how the ark can make me be the singular ruler over my modding experiences. And even though the ark is a ridiculous pile of junk compared to Reforged, it has a strange addictive allure. Power... freedom... I must have more... even if it was made with conceit and knowledge from other Hive projects stapled into one giant spaghetti monster of code, even if we know for certain that the ark is so badly designed that nobody but me will ever understand how it works... I continue to troll everyone by simply posting videos of my reality, the ark, the freedom, the dream, the mockery, the thing you all wish you had....

Just the thought of someone trolling by saying, "disappointing to see that we waited so long for so little," it is funny... it is ludicrous... what were you waiting for? Why were you waiting? Exactly who were you waiting on to do it, and why did you expect for them to be doing anything at all? What will they get in return?

Get up from your computer, go to the window, take a breather, open the window and yell, "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not gonna take this anymore! I'm a human being gosh dang it! My life has value!"

And then look out at the world and really take it in. Pick an object in the distance and describe it to yourself. What is that object? Why is it there? Was it put there intentionally or by accident? Will the person who put it there ever have reason to put something like that there again? Have you ever put a similar object out there?

And then close your eyes and extend the same depth of thought to your entire life. Why are you mad as hell? How could the situation have gone differently if you were able to live through it all again from the beginning? Given that you cannot relive your one and only life on this earth, what can you do going forward to live consistently with the new understanding you have gained -- that you don't want to take it anymore!? This is not me telling you not to play some particular video game. I would not know which video game you should or should not play, or even whether you have the time to be playing any games at all in your life.

This is me sharing the brief thoughts that I had in my one, beloved life on this sweet Earth. I don't know much, but I know that the people that I used to play Warcraft III with online only played 1 game evening with me after Reforged released, and it is pretty likely that was my own fault for avoiding them to try to build the ark. Sometimes it seems to me like the whole entire social system of the human race is operating according to some evil plan lately. I reach out into the world hoping to solve it but anything I touch seems to be a part of the evil plan or become a part of the evil plan through the influence of me.

I [alone] cannot save this world. But I can still do my best. And it is scary, because I thought MasterBlaster name and icon were the name of a legitimate human user from some long-forgotten era of my time on this website, even though I see these claims of disappointment and assume I see a troll. But if it was a human, surely you realize by now that it is not necessary for you to be upset about Reforged anymore. It is not necessary to be disappointed. It is sick or twisted to expect that much of another human being while only paying them $30 USD in 2021. Too many people bought Fortnite hats for $30 and it caused inflation. Anyone who can sell either a virtual unlock of a hat or a Reforged would surely realize the hat is free to copy and send to you while Reforged cost hundreds of thousands to make.

So, yeah, I don't care about this balance patch, but I am not upset either, because I did not even expect a balance patch. It is like when someone gives me ice cream I was not expecting. I mean, sure, yea, I will happily take it.

Last edited:
Level 17
Good to know they haven't drop Warcraft 3....
If they want to make minor update about balancing or other stuff they can give back the money to players that bought Reforged. (I'm really sure people will be alright to pay Reforged when the product will be finnished, in my case I would agree with that)
For the moment, I'm sorry but they have to correct the bugs, make it less laggy and make at least the feature that was on TFT.
It's not fair for people that bought the game....

Last edited:
Level 20
If there's something to feel let down about, it is us -- the community. Anybody who accepts the false narrative that Reforged is bad and does not deliver on what it aimed to do is part of the problem weighing us down. But this is not much of a Warcraft specific problem; it is more of a societal problem that even I myself feel like I am losing grip on objective truth if I spend too much time online, given the way that the science of manipulating the information flow to my brain is always getting better and better.
If there's anything I've learned about this "community" over the past week is that itself encourages this sort of behavior and thinking.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
If there's anything I've learned about this "community" over the past week is that itself encourages this sort of behavior and thinking.
Bullshit.
The problem is us. The problem is not voting with our wallets to keep dedicated developers working on this game like how they kept promising they wanted to.
If there's something to feel let down about, it is us -- the community.
That is ridiculous. We did everything we could to help Blizzard. The mood turned sour over time as they kept breaking things and then dropped the ball completely. It is not our fault that not enough people voted with their wallets. It's the new leadership and stockholder-syndrome.
Will they be willing to speak to the forum community again, now?
Probably not in a way as verbal as they did in the past. I think the major reason we were even on the map was because of people like Kam and MindWorX.

Determined not to be negative, so I'll just say that's its great we have a bug fix in there. Let's keep our fingers crossed for the future!
A great sentiment. It's good to remember who is reading this thread and know how you might be affecting other readers in case you write something unpleasant. The people who are the most angry are typically the ones who care the most. And I know they don't want to affect the other readers.

Anyway. I am told that everyone should test their map on the PTR so we can find potential regressions before the patch is released.

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
-- The Warcraft III Team
Honestly I thought it was just the janitor looking after Warcraft 3 in some basement, it pleases me that someone is actually working on it. Means in the distant future something useful for the mapping community might appear!
And maybe if they're talking to us again, it means they're done with taking over the project and things will start to progress more smoothly from now on? Fingers crossed.
As many others have said hopefully this leads to something good eventually with a different team, and is nice something is happening for wc3

:con:

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Courtesy of Yeran from Discord here's a screenshot of an undocumented update. The lobby slot count is now different:
yeran lobby.png

As you can see they are two players and a closed slot in a 12 player map. This shows up as 2/9 because there are two human players and 9 available slots. This will help in understanding how many people are actually in-game and how many are needed to start. I think this is pretty nice.

Level 4
This.
Its like what the fuck did people expect to happen when they started review bombing websites and asking for refunds? Activision Blizzard is a company whose main focus is to make money, and said company just got spit in the face by their customers. Like sure, not everything they promised was in and it was going to be a work in progress of patches but I fully believe that if there had not been a huge backlash and campaign to smear Reforged we would probably have those patches by now instead of one team getting fired and another being hired in their place.

Level 13
And there we go! A patch that fixes... uhm... nothing!

Well I guess at this point, it's nice to know that at least there's someone doing something with this game.

Level 18
It's nice to see that they're still doing something.

Looking forward hearing from Custom Campaigns, since we can already work on custom maps in general, it's the only missing thing to keep Warcraft 'afloat' for years to come.

Eye

Eye

Level 2
Seems like if what we want are custom campaigns, Warsmash might excel at that especially about 1 year from now, even if I am lazy and slow about adding multiplayer.

I suppose it is entertaining that people still post like this. I'm not able to look at Reforged in a disappointed way anymore, other than for the fact that people choose to be disappointed (which is disappointing for fans to make that choice!). The way to be disappointed about Reforged is to not understand the nature of the world today, because if we think about the world today, people creating Reforged is amazing. It's an amazing love letter to the Warcraft 3 modding community. When other people were getting radio silence, I pestered people I met online who were related to the Reforged project with thoughts and ideas and inspiration, and yet I only bought about $2000 worth of copies of Reforged which wasn't enough for them to keep their jobs. THEY should be disappointed in ME.

When I go back and review message history with Reforged devs from for example Jan 21, 2019, they say things like this:

I replied: "Okay. To me that sounds almost like imaginary pie the in the sky, but I guess potentially it could solve the same thing." [I had been requesting a particular feature]

I replied: "That seems very true. I guess I will have to wait for the patch, and if for some reason I can't accomplish my dream Custom Build ability on that patch, I could let you know"

This person clearly delivered on all their promises and was insightful and forward-looking. The stuff they describe in these messages were indeed added for Reforged. This person spent the time to chat with me on Discord yet did not implement what I asked for and instead implemented something better -- something designed to let the modding community go further given the limited available time this person had working on this game.

With that said, after I saw the Reforged announcement I began planning to build an ark, of sorts. Up until Reforged's announcement I believed that all of the patches for Warcraft III game engine were focused on improving the game engine for me and people like me and for how I enjoyed using the game for modding and stuff. But when I saw what Reforged 2018 demo was, and how it replaced the Warcraft III render pipeline with new shinier code designed to play something newer and fancier, I became convinced that although I knew I would enjoy playing this new thing there was not any way this new product would be compatible with my knowledgebase as someone who makes MDX model files. The MDX format at the time was not physically capable of describing the models teased at Blizzcon 2018, and it would have been a huge programming effort to change that, let alone support some weird duality between the new and old systems.

So, it was based on this that I began working to build an ark where I could have a remake of the SD game that plays W3X files and MDX files and all these other things that I know and enjoy even though it was clear to me that the Blizzard product was going to diverge into some totally new and cool but different thing.

It is now 3 years later and it is amazing if you look at Reforged and how far Warcraft III has come. Namely, I predicted incorrectly -- Reforged supports the old MDX model format better than the ark ever will -- and supports simultaneously duality with the new assets and art and their new code. Reforged delivered on a ridiculous and herculean idea of "still being the Warcraft III game" which means too many things to too many people (often people who want mutually exclusive things!)

The problem is us. The problem is not voting with our wallets to keep dedicated developers working on this game like how they kept promising they wanted to. Despite the Reforged release version supporting any and all Warcraft III modding I could possibly want to do from any avenue, the ark has become some strange seductive temptation for me. I go to the bathroom while I'm trying to do my day job and I look at a wall and the world fades and I just think about the ark, and how some day I'll have a blademaster cast Wind Walk within the ark. And it's really emotional and exciting while I'm taking a bathroom break to think about how the ark can make me be the singular ruler over my modding experiences. And even though the ark is a ridiculous pile of junk compared to Reforged, it has a strange addictive allure. Power... freedom... I must have more... even if it was made with conceit and knowledge from other Hive projects stapled into one giant spaghetti monster of code, even if we know for certain that the ark is so badly designed that nobody but me will ever understand how it works... I continue to troll everyone by simply posting videos of my reality, the ark, the freedom, the dream, the mockery, the thing you all wish you had....

Just the thought of someone trolling by saying, "disappointing to see that we waited so long for so little," it is funny... it is ludicrous... what were you waiting for? Why were you waiting? Exactly who were you waiting on to do it, and why did you expect for them to be doing anything at all? What will they get in return?

Get up from your computer, go to the window, take a breather, open the window and yell, "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not gonna take this anymore! I'm a human being gosh dang it! My life has value!"

And then look out at the world and really take it in. Pick an object in the distance and describe it to yourself. What is that object? Why is it there? Was it put there intentionally or by accident? Will the person who put it there ever have reason to put something like that there again? Have you ever put a similar object out there?

And then close your eyes and extend the same depth of thought to your entire life. Why are you mad as hell? How could the situation have gone differently if you were able to live through it all again from the beginning? Given that you cannot relive your one and only life on this earth, what can you do going forward to live consistently with the new understanding you have gained -- that you don't want to take it anymore!? This is not me telling you not to play some particular video game. I would not know which video game you should or should not play, or even whether you have the time to be playing any games at all in your life.

This is me sharing the brief thoughts that I had in my one, beloved life on this sweet Earth. I don't know much, but I know that the people that I used to play Warcraft III with online only played 1 game evening with me after Reforged released, and it is pretty likely that was my own fault for avoiding them to try to build the ark. Sometimes it seems to me like the whole entire social system of the human race is operating according to some evil plan lately. I reach out into the world hoping to solve it but anything I touch seems to be a part of the evil plan or become a part of the evil plan through the influence of me.

I [alone] cannot save this world. But I can still do my best. And it is scary, because I thought MasterBlaster name and icon were the name of a legitimate human user from some long-forgotten era of my time on this website, even though I see these claims of disappointment and assume I see a troll. But if it was a human, surely you realize by now that it is not necessary for you to be upset about Reforged anymore. It is not necessary to be disappointed. It is sick or twisted to expect that much of another human being while only paying them $30 USD in 2021. Too many people bought Fortnite hats for $30 and it caused inflation. Anyone who can sell either a virtual unlock of a hat or a Reforged would surely realize the hat is free to copy and send to you while Reforged cost hundreds of thousands to make.

So, yeah, I don't care about this balance patch, but I am not upset either, because I did not even expect a balance patch. It is like when someone gives me ice cream I was not expecting. I mean, sure, yea, I will happily take it.
The patch has brought this to me, and I couldn't be disappointed even if I had a stake.

Level 31
So basically nothing.
Dunno , balanced patches aren't really a patch, (they change few lines of values and call it a patch....)
Sad

Courtesy of Yeran from Discord here's a screenshot of an undocumented update. The lobby slot count is now different:
View attachment 375663
As you can see they are two players and a closed slot in a 12 player map. This shows up as 2/9 because there are two human players and 9 available slots. This will help in understanding how many people are actually in-game and how many are needed to start. I think this is pretty nice.
I wonder why they didnt add this to patch list , (this is at least something)

Last edited:
Level 5
If we don't rage at them for their failures (by that I don't mean every single tiny imperfection but I mean those SPECTACULAR TRAINWRECKS like Reforged release was...) they will continue making the same mistakes! By review bombing the Reforged debacle we may have saved future games (like Diablo 2 remaster for example or something else in the future) from the same fate. :]
Also it's our right to express disappointment or satisfaction in a realistic light.

Level 12

The more I stay on this site and read Reteras posts, the more it seems like a person slowly spiraling towards insanity and rambling about some higher purpose.
Us: game bad
Retera: no game, scream out the window, free icecream
No disrespect <3 Always amusing to read

The patch itself is a pretty big surprise, made me happy to know they are still releasing patches for the game, and fixing the flag bug is huge for melee players.

Level 3
There was nothing to improve the game, and there were no content updates to the editor.
The game is very lag and not friendly to custom player&author.

Last edited:
even if we hate the state of the game now, at least we can have 0 expectation of patches they are launching.

View attachment 375663

it feels like they keep not documenting changes again. Might be a good idea to look out for surprises. We never know what might hit us if we don't carefully check everything.

Also, given the wreck it is in, if they can pull a No Man Sky's redemption arc on this, then Reforged can actually get praise it seeks. It's a race though.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Dunno , balanced patches aren't really a patch, (they change few lines of values and call it a patch....)
It IS in fact a patch.
4/5 LoL patches are just balance changes and new skins.

WoW does the same, 9.0.5 was basically just number tweaking, bug fixes. The valor system is re-introduced so I don't consider that a new feature.

Level 5
It IS in fact a patch.
4/5 LoL patches are just balance changes and new skins.

WoW does the same, 9.0.5 was basically just number tweaking, bug fixes. The valor system is re-introduced so I don't consider that a new feature.
Okay but do those games have missing features and broken stuff like Wc3 does?
If they finish fixing all the major problems we reported to them, then by all means make a thousand tiny balance patches by increasing or decreasing a number here and there... Balancing is a job that can literarily last for ever. I mean I am a fan of Company of Heroes 2, a game that came out in 2013. and even today they have balance patches from time to time, but that game isn't missing any fundamental features or full of bugs like Wc3 is (though they didn't do a great job at optimizing CoH2 I can say that at least, for the graphics it has it should be able to run smoother but by now I've bought a new computer so I don't care xD). :]
And also keep in mind that those games DON'T have a CUSTOM GAMES option/community SO all the balance changes they do affect 100% of their player base, while balance changes in Wc3 only effect the x % of the player base that is into melee games (idk what % that is but I do not count myself among them) and have absolutely no effect on those who play custom games (thus we get nothing).

Last edited:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Okay but do those games have missing features and broken stuff like Wc3 does?
If they finish fixing all the major problems we reported to them, then by all means make a thousand tiny balance patches by increasing or decreasing a number here and there... Balancing is a job that can literarily last for ever. I mean I am a fan of Company of Heroes 2, a game that came out in 2013. and even today they have balance patches from time to time, but that game isn't missing any fundamental features or full of bugs like Wc3 is (though they didn't do a great job at optimizing CoH2 I can say that at least, for the graphics it has it should be able to run smoother but by now I've bought a new computer so I don't care xD). :]
And also keep in mind that those games DON'T have a CUSTOM GAMES option/community SO all the balance changes they do affect 100% of their player base, while balance changes in Wc3 only effect the x % of the player base that is into melee games (idk what % that is but I do not count myself among them) and have absolutely no effect on those who play custom games (thus we get nothing).
Not relevant.

The question was, is it a patch? At the very least most games I know of call it patches, if you want to consider those invalid too then fine.
The definition does not change depending on what other updates it gets.

Yes it is a bit of a bitch slap considering context, won't deny that.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
First, we’d like to give you a quick update on where we are on ranked play, leaderboards, and player profiles. The Warcraft team is committed to delivering you these features, however, due to the nature of the world today, it’s taking longer than we planned.
I checked the thread, news page on Hive, and the Blizzard boards before I realized that these two sentences were their iteration of "giving a quick update" on the promised and missing features.

I expect next to nothing regarding Warcraft Reforged anymore, so in that way, I am not disappointed. It does however surprise me how their communication still seems like the release itself was somewhat acceptable and things are running smoothly - but not perfectly, but overall there is not much to be alarmed off. I think this is alarming.

As I said, I am expecting next to nothing from them anymore, but I know there are still people who do wish the success for Reforged and expect things from the developers, but with this kind of communication that group of people will only shrink and get smaller. Until a point where it is just not practical or interesting in any mean to even process these "updates" or game community as a whole (I doubt there is such incentive even now).

The highest priority feature the developer team (although since dismantled team, as far as I know) told was coming to Warcraft Reforged was the rank-based matchmaking, which was promised back in July - said to be released in "coming months".

Then, in August last year, they announced that the ranked matchmaking would be released together with player profiles (another high-priority feature lost since Reforged). These two core features were planned to be released in the "next few months". Yet, here we are on March 2021 and now we know that the next update, set to be released in April, will not have these features. Meaning that the "highest priority features" might arrive, earliest, in May.

I have doubt that the developer team would be able to push those core feature releases to May, as we were promised another update on their status before the release - and considering we still haven't heard anything about them after the initial developer notes - I doubt we will get them before June or July - a year after their initial announcement.

Then again, back in May 2020, we were told that these core features are and had already been in development and that the developer team was assembling a road map that they wished to share with the community - this road map was meant to give more insight regarding "Improved Matchmaking, Ranked Ladders, Profiles, Custom Campaigns, and Clans". Now, the clever ones may notice that we never actually got that development road map. That developer team was dismantled in the fall of 2020 - and very possibly the road map publish went down the drain with it.

In the new patch notes, the developers have now separated the ranked matchmaking into ranked play and leaderboards (which were in the previous plan considered one entity). As a more worrying thing, however (at least in my eyes) is the absence of even a mention of custom campaigns, clans, and other missing features that were previously on the list of the developer team (and in the update road map).

The new patch note introduction does not mention those features, and in fact, instead of stating when even the mentioned features will or might be released, they instead state that they are still committed to "delivering these features". Does this mean that the other features may - or may not - be delivered? I fear that may be the case. In any case, even if the developer team was keen on releasing them, the schedule would probably be quite depressing - considering the highest priority feature will take (most likely at least) a year to be released from its announcement (although it has been arguably delayed by half a year already by now), I do not even dare to think how long the lower priority features will take to be added, if ever.

Sincerely,
Remixer

The more I stay on this site and read Reteras posts, the more it seems like a person slowly spiraling towards insanity and rambling about some higher purpose.
Me too, man.

I hope you like reading.
Okay, sure!

the release itself was somewhat acceptable
Uh-huh. Can you objectively prove it was unacceptable simply because some people choose not to accept it?

the absence of even a mention of custom campaign
I think I posted this somewhere before, but one of their guys had an interesting discussion with me way back (I think this chat log was before I knew about Reforged, given the date) that might explain why custom campaigns are never coming back:

Retera — 07/19/2018​

and now i have to sleep
[4:02 AM]
:/

(dev) — 07/19/2018​

Hehe
July 27, 2018

Retera — 07/27/2018​

I'm trying to send this PDF to as many people as possible. It's a personal request that Blizzard add to wc3 something I've wanted for a long time. You don't really need to add it to the editor if you can manage to get the game upgraded in this way, since editor stuff for it would probably take too long to make
<attachment>
July 28, 2018

Retera — 07/28/2018​

If you add Mods to the game, I think I will take a vacation to Blizzard and buy pizzas for you and Kam
[5:46 PM]
Last time I mentioned buying pizzas to Kam he refused to give me his address
[5:46 PM]
So maybe I will have to just mail pizza to Blizzard Entertainment
July 29, 2018

Retera — 07/29/2018​

Do you happen to have an example call of the Patch 1.30 native named RequestExtraStringData? I'm excitedly wondering what it might do, but all of the arguments are named param1 and param2
July 30, 2018

(dev) — 07/30/2018​

Hey, sorry, was busy this weekend. My wife is visiting, so wasn't on IM much. : )
[6:03 AM]
I like the PDF, and I'll give it some consideration.
[6:03 AM]
And sadly, those natives aren't anything interesting.

Retera — 07/30/2018​

Rats. But thanks!

Retera — 07/30/2018​

On the train to work today I thought of a problem with the way I suggested to make Mods. If you let any map load any mod, it causes problems with map protection by making injection too easy into protected maps, upsetting their authors. If you let any map only load mods that are listed inside the map file, it's not very different from having to add the data to the map itself.

(dev) — 07/30/2018​

It's still a difficult thing to do. I like the idea, but it's not exactly simple to solve as you see. : )
[12:16 PM]
Lots of issues with colliding object ids, scripts, selective vs forced loading, etc.

Retera — 07/30/2018​

Yes. But it would be very cool to see it implememted in some way. :D
[12:19 PM]
Maybe maps should have an option, such as, "allows mods" that is disabled by default, except on melee maps.
August 2, 2018

(dev) — 08/02/2018​

You around?

Retera — 08/02/2018​

Nope. The arrival of time of that message was 11:34 AM in my time zone, so I was at work. What's up?
August 3, 2018

Retera — 08/03/2018​

Did you get what you were looking for?
[10:21 AM]
I'm on my way to work on a boring train right now

(dev) — 08/03/2018​

Nope, I had an idea I wanted to pass by you

[10:21 AM]
With regards to a potential idea to do modding.
[10:22 AM]
It's less flexible but in my head, it's more possible.

Retera — 08/03/2018​

Okay. I'm all for helping in any way I can

(dev) — 08/03/2018​

Imagine campaigns as mods.
[10:22 AM]
A campaign has object data, assets, etc. We can add code as well.
[10:23 AM]
Now, when you start a campaign, you're only given the option of playing storyline of maps.
What we could add was a way to start any map with this campaign?
So if the campaign holds new races, starting any existing melee map, would let you play with the custom races.

Retera — 08/03/2018​

Yeah dude, if that's way easy, I would say go for it. It's true that it's less flexible but it still would allow the kind of modding that existed in the past basically, from SEMPQs and stuff. The stacking object IDs collision fixes and loading of many mods at once is a bit of a head in the clouds idea compared with the current codebase. I can respect that

(dev) — 08/03/2018​

Yeah, the whole ID collision stuff is major ...

Retera — 08/03/2018​

It would be cool if you guys added it some day, or if I could work at blizzard in 2050 when I retire, and add it then

(dev) — 08/03/2018​

Don't get me wrong, it can be solved ... but how long would it take?

Retera — 08/03/2018​

In my opinion probably less than you think but more than you want. Just a guess, haha

(dev) — 08/03/2018​

And the reality is usually way more than you think and impossibly more than you want.

Retera — 08/03/2018​

Yeah. The community can probably use community code to smash multiple campaigns together if that becomes something people really want
[10:28 AM]
Community based object ID mergers have existed for a decade, but all the ones I ever used were buggy and terrible and unreliable

(dev) — 08/03/2018​

Yeah, that's my thinking as well. Lets say a couple of people each make their own races. Then guy three can combine it to a single mod and handle that stuff.

Retera — 08/03/2018​

Is there any chance that you could allow campaigns to override ui\FrameDef\glue\playerslot.fdf ?
[10:30 AM]
It would make it able to show the names of the custom races while choosing out of game

(dev) — 08/03/2018​

Yeah, that would be part of it. Likely it'd be some special natives that run in the config section of the map script.
[10:30 AM]
Which would allow you to add new races.

Retera — 08/03/2018​

Sweet. The mod I worked on for like 10 years has 6 races, would be awesome if I could get it to actually work well : )

(dev) — 08/03/2018​

:D

Retera — 08/03/2018​

Yeah, this is definitely a good idea. If it's easy to make campaigns load on any map, including multiplayer somehow, I think the people I talk to that make custom races will probably love it
[10:33 AM]
I just got off my train, gotta go work. Have a good one and keep being awesome! :D

Retera — 08/03/2018​

If you do this, whenever it goes to PTR I can change my mod to a campaign to help test :D
So, based on the above, somebody was probably trying to turn the .w3n format into a general "mod" format for me and probably screwed it all up so that "restoring the feature" of custom campaigns is probably not nearly as easy as you think.

We might as well cut the (now non-existent) team some slack, assuming custom campaigns are never coming back (if for nothing else because of the above chat log) and stop complaining, and just take each moment as a glorious opportunity to continue our lives. If they add a custom campaign feature, that's like when somebody gives you a gift. Because it would be unexpected.

Level 7
In my opinion, the community of WarCraft 3 itself was the one that helped the game to take itself to an environment that could be improved after the success of SC 1 remastered. The problem was the FLAMING of other communities that destroyed the reputation of the game and that of blizzard, generating destructive criticism, news such as that the game was a failure, many used this opportunity to cling to infamy and grow on social networks (it was a popularity boom for these people, they don't know the damage they did). However, and now we are here, the community that has always been supporting the game from the beginning, we remain expectant of the updates.

The problem is us. The problem is not voting with our wallets to keep dedicated developers working on this game like how they kept promising they wanted to. Despite the Reforged release version supporting any and all Warcraft III modding I could possibly want to do from any avenue, the ark has become some strange seductive temptation for me.
For my part, if they announce something about readjusting the game and that requires the payment of another additional amount, I could pay that amount so that in the end they can finish with all the remaining functionalities. And I think other users would too, because it is also not something different than what they do with Wow. (Even if my comment sounds silly)

(And let's also take into account that many of us have learned quite a few things with the World Editor of this game, and the love that is had for this. If we could have access to a part of the game by Blizzard, the community itself would surely do great things. With just with the classic War 3 I did things that I thought were not possible, such as simulating a different game with its own mechanics and its interface included, things like that are really possible, only that more resources are needed to do it, this is how the large custom borns WarCraft maps 3) :cool:2

Last edited:
Level 11
I think this is a good sign. Given the news with the internal shuffling and rearranging at Blizzard, the fact that a team has inherited the responsibility for WC3 and is actively engaged with pushing an update, no matter how small, is good news.

Hopefully this is the sign that the 'new' team has onboarded and can start working on the content we're so anxious for.

Level 17
I think this is a good sign. Given the news with the internal shuffling and rearranging at Blizzard, the fact that a team has inherited the responsibility for WC3 and is actively engaged with pushing an update, no matter how small, is good news.

Hopefully this is the sign that the 'new' team has onboarded and can start working on the content we're so anxious for.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with you. Reforged lives for more than 1 year now. And we have ridiculous patch that can be done in 2 hours.... No cinematics, no custom campaigns, no bugs fixes, no optimizations, not enough servers.

I think they try to give us the feeling that someone is working on it, to make us forgot about that scams. (Sorry about that word but paying for something uncomplete and bugged, it is not fair to me).

They alreay have our money and won't have anymore with that game (Bad note and game too old now). So I'm pretty sure next January nothing important would change.

Have a nice day man

Level 7
So, based on the above, somebody was probably trying to turn the .w3n format into a general "mod" format for me and probably screwed it all up so that "restoring the feature" of custom campaigns is probably not nearly as easy as you think.

We might as well cut the (now non-existent) team some slack, assuming custom campaigns are never coming back (if for nothing else because of the above chat log) and stop complaining, and just take each moment as a glorious opportunity to continue our lives. If they add a custom campaign feature, that's like when somebody gives you a gift. Because it would be unexpected.
I mean, that's hardly a justification though. I'm a software dev in my professional life, I don't think any of our clients would be very keen on losing features they were using before, and it being excused as, "dev messed up", and left at that.

Level 30
Really hoping to see the features that the community is promised with. I've been long away from Warcraft III mostly due to how the Reforge kinda ruined the experience for me in its earliest state and having been forced to get a game full of bugs from its required update, reforged or not.

Despite the state it's in, I still hope to get back into the game in the future, not gonna lie.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Uh-huh. Can you objectively prove it was unacceptable simply because some people choose not to accept it?
I think we both know that proving such a thing objectively is impossible. However, the previous development team at least mentioned that the launch did not go as smoothly as they hoped for (I think they used the framing "rough start"). While the new team puts development delay supposedly to the fault of the pandemic, instead of huge internal changes within the development team and Blizzard as well as the time required to fix other issues within the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.