1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warcraft 3 Reforged

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Archian, Nov 2, 2018.

1. JustTom

JustTom

Resources:
    Resources:
    "Existing custom maps will be playable in Reforged, and players will be able to use the new matchmaker to find partners or opponents for traditional melee and custom games."

How will this work? Does this mean the world edit will only add features and keep all existing ones? I hope they add a memory leak checker and more trigger events so I don't have to learn JASS (still got away with not knowing it :D)

2. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    But sadly it's only Warcraft III so that won't work. Besides, it's a stupid psychological factor, not worth it.

3. JustTom

JustTom

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is an easy way to give everyone who wanted new players to revive WC3 just as it was--the best game ever created. Also, its way easier and smarter to just update the graphics and very minor details and resell a game that was incredibly successful and fueled primarily by the community. Thirdly, they can easily make a warcraft 4 if this is a success, so this way everyone truly wins.

4. neven1

neven1

Resources:
    Resources:
    something if off with this new warcraft. i'm not quite sure what.

5. Kacpa2

Kacpa2

Resources:
    Resources:
    EVERYTHIIIIING!!! xD
    I dont really think so.....People who want Wc4/WcIV will still flock to it, same with all graphics kiddies who want shiny stuff without any further thought put to what porblem it is artisticly and to all assets we gathered over the years and just sheer integrity of the game made 17 years ago.
    They need to make it into it's own thing....as with all remakes naturally it is....with no intrusion or such disrespect to original. Warcraft Reforged could get much more changed and added content, mechanics, modes.....'microtransactions' So even Activision is happy..... and Warcraft III is left intact and unscathed with no retcons, with all assets usable and fitting perfectly.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  6. Razorclaw_X

Razorclaw_X

Resources:
    Resources:
    I wouldn't be surprised if all the new Reforged assets were available to regular Warcraft 3 anyway (for compatibility reasons) just like how it always was with Starcraft 2 and the alternate unit skins. It was trivial to use the alternate skins in customs even if you didn't 'own' them.

As far as things go the only thing people should be worried about is if their stuff works in War3 now. And then keep it that way. As long as you maintain that it should 100% work on the Reforged version regardless of what happens because they're not going to fork the base game.

I'm between the first two panels. I'm waiting for more information. Although I'm probably going to buy it as soon as the Meat Wagon is available to WoW.

7. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm saying, at this point it's pretty much a soft Warcraft III reboot. They won't make a true remaster now that this has started. They did no change to gameplay mechanics: pathing, hex grid etc.
    I doubt that. They said the old ones are available along with the new ones not the other way around, even if getting through the paywall.
    excerpt from: Warcraft III Reforged - What we know... so far.

8. Himperion

Himperion

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I still wonder why Blizzard didn't use Star 2 engine to re-make War 1/2. As a re-imagining people will give then more artistic licence given the age of these games, and they can get their retcon fetish satisfied.

Because nope Doomhammer never backstabbed Lothar, it was a very manly and HONOR!able duel that ended with Lothar backstabbed.

9. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hell no. Reforged is enough. I just want HD versions of those old games or just higher resolution for them. They failed to deliver that with StarCraft: Remastered. The StarEdit had higher resolution since the first StarCraft and the game didn't benefit from it. People made third party tools to come somewhat close to that but with newer patch versions those programs don't work anymore.

About Reforged... let the WoW and Heroes of the Storm rips flow!

10. Scytharius

Scytharius

Resources:
    Resources:
    The art style they chose is realistic rather than keeping it cartoonie and simplified. The game looks like a smoothie mix of SC2 and HoTS. Both of which I don't like or play.

They still have a year left to make it like/look WC3. But from the looks of it, I won't buy it. It is too different from the original. I was expecting just simple reskins for models and textures if they did a remaster. Not everything redone completely.

11. Kacpa2

Kacpa2

Resources:
    Resources:
    I will keep my stance......Drop the III in the title and make Reforged into its own Spin-off/remake thing. People who will buy it dont care about crossplay. Just make it it's own even more different thing with more races, coop modes and changed mechanics......and leave Warcraft III as it is plus few more fixes and leave as is.......
    They wont, they already made so many assets that they dont care for our voices.....

12. Sieben

Sieben

Resources:
    Resources:
    No, that would be a big mistake.
    People who don't buy Reforged will still be able to crossplay with Reforged players. If you don't allow them to do so, they will be quite alone - just a few of them, always the same people... it would be impossible to find an online game... Now, with crossplaying possible, it will increase the number of players, both for original game and Reforged, and it will give a new life to the game, whatever graphics you play with.
    Also, having two separate games would break the community in two, that would't be right.
    I have many complaints about Reforged, but let's be sensible here :)

13. Anaxie

Anaxie

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    levels remade from scratch to resemble to how said area actually looks.

Thats enough changes to satisfy me since I know what locations / missions are likely to have extensive overhauls that will make me squeal like a little girly.

its not really changing the story for the worse if the Sunwell is actually on an Isle and King Anasterian is actually present. which is more than likely how the fall of silvermoon is gonig to change.

wouldnt mind seeing the Icecrown finale level get some big lovin.

14. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    They're not new. They are renewed. It's a different thing. It's really not semantics. It's misinterpretation.

15. Anaxie

Anaxie

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Are the maps entirely different for the new stratholm? yes it is

Does that heavily change gameplay YUP

Are tactics and encounters entirely different because the map is YUP

is Warcraft 3 an RTS YUP

It's a completely different mission then.

the only thing thats the same is the story.
    this isnt an RPG it's an RTS first and foremost. A Completely different Map is a completely different mission.

16. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Remains to be seen how many maps are actually recreated (from scratch) and not hard edits.
    I doubt that. The core gameplay will remain, I'm quite certain of it.

17. Anaxie

Anaxie

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    yes kill 100 plagued people

Except no Purple Undead base exists. The Map is city is circular instead of a Giant L

THat changes the gameplay of the mission quite a large bit.

For instance right now on March of the Scourge I can destroy both bases. Shall we see the new map design when that comes out?

Couple buildings less and pressure is gone. Maybe instant spawns timed spawns and not gargantuan bases?

At the end most missions are destroy base X anyway.

But it's an RTS First and foremost RPG is secondary an Entirely new map is an Entirely new map. and thusly an Entirely new level as far as any RTS player should be concerned.

18. Mr.Pro

Mr.Pro

Resources:
    Resources:
    It would be nice if some of Heroes of the Storm warcraft heroes abilities where natives in object editor on this new WE, and finaly some effect bugs corrections like carrior swarm and crushing wave effects working only on the original abilities, also incinerating from firelord. Well im hyped

19. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Guess I'll have to make a new model editor for all those new effects.

20. Kacpa2

Kacpa2

Resources:
    Resources:
    Trust me it wouldnt. Amount of players in Reforged will be gigantic either way since all WoW players will herd there, and people who wanted the next game too. They dont need the crossplay and it's much better to part it from Wc3. Warcraft III will stay intact with all assets made for it while Reforged can be fully retconned and expaneded with no limits, including gameplay changes. Its the best solution.