• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Warcraft 3 MMO - Persistent Gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about triggers? Let's say you have 10 maps, and you do an important update to one of the core systems (like the combat system, etc.). You will have to apply that little update to every single map one by one. Which is quiet troublesome. Not to mention if you make little mistake or some in those updates, and you need to re-update them. And I'm quite sure you will need much more than 10 maps, given you only use a very small size for each map.

So, still I suggest you to increase it at least a little bit.

I don't really see it being an issue.

I mainly use triggers to catch events than I pass it onto the C# plugin, and even then something like a combat system would easily be shareable between maps (and automatically import-able).

If I have the need to make a huge map than I will. For now the maps are just testing grounds..

Level 7
I think is an amazing idea, but a little utopic. MMO means A LOT of hard work, and more if you are hacking wc3 files, in the good way. Hackers can easily destroy the server. Im trying to be positive but is quite complicated. After dota and wow, i think wc3 can just be used to create single player maps. But i hope that you can deal with this issues.

Level 10
i think wc3 can just be used to create single player maps
i disagree on this one
i mean Gaias Retaliation ORPG is still growing on multiplayer

but i do get your point there are lots of dead maps too
if you have a pretty decent looking map it wiont be played
you really need an amazing map to have active games on bnet
and i do think that this is an amazing game :p

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I also am planning a turn-based project similar to this.
I actually like turn-based RPGs a lot. The UI should really use a revamp for such genre though, you can come up with clever use for the 4x3 command buttons for just an RPG but turn-based RPG really capitalizes on dynamic collection of skills. Something like RenderEdge could come of use.

Level 7
Still in the current state. I really am planning to continue this very soon, and have something playable. I also am planning a turn-based project similar to this.

I'm thinking I will stay on patch 1.26 for this mod in light of the recent patches.

Something like this?

Level 2
Please don't make this turn based ! You have the opertunity to use the moba like combat of warcraft 3 which is far more popular and fun than turn based combat!!

Level 8
A mmo with moba-like action would probably require much better connection quality than a tbs one. This will make it unplayable for people without good internet and also will require server to be somehow better too, especially when it comes to 20+ players.
Also, tbs mmo is technically easier to create and to make it stable.
I'd prefer some kind of hybrid between action and tbs that looks like action but indeed has a tbs game mechanics, like it was in SW KotOR, just because I can hardly imagine smooth action perfectly working on wc3 with 20+ peoples.
*looking at valve server which hardly work on 10v10 dota mods*

Level 5
I guess that it is the explanation for why you know so well local player stuff: you learned sharpcraft and use it.
I through about using it one time but the fact it needs to rebuild all the game mechanics and to know how to manage sockets made me unable to understand it correctly.
Good luck with your mmo.

Level 12
I guess I can take a break from map regular RPG map project and get a demo of this running again.

This project is my #1 goal of things I want to finish for WC3. However I want to make sure it's done correctly.

Will you share the project code with us ?
Keep in mind that sharing means caring.
Or if you can make a tutorial or sample about how we can make our own servers and connect to them.
That would be great.
Also congrads for the project, looks really good !

Will you share the project code with us ?
Keep in mind that sharing means caring.
Or if you can make a tutorial or sample about how we can make our own servers and connect to them.
That would be great.
Also congrads for the project, looks really good !

I probably won't open source this, but I can make a basic multiplayer demo.

Get it back, will be good to have more of this project

I have started working on it again. I need to fix my plugin system though before I can get anything playable. I'm thinking less than 2 weeks.

Level 3
Hey TriggerHappy, when I try to install the launcher and the script thing tries to install (the external tool) an error message comes up and I cannot install it. Is this normal?

Level 2
okay triggerhappy, i would be happy to hear updates / progress :D. just curious and still waiting u know. If you need ppl to beta test (more than 2 maps) then let us know!

Progress Update

I want to let everyone know that this project is in active development. The project has essentially been rebuilt from the ground up. The gameplay is different from the original concept, however there are plans to return to the original idea of a more traditional RPG once the new concept is playable. More information on the direction and gameplay will be given soon.

Now, here's a quick overview of what I have ready.

Game
  • Built a custom framework which allows me to modify Warcraft III as well as add functionality.
  • Account creation system. Register an account and have all of your character data tied to it. (If you have created an account previously, it will still be there)
  • Basic functionality like walking around and talking which are synced up with the server.

Launcher
  • The launcher will run the game and start up the last map your character was on.
  • Automatically update when a new launcher is available.
  • Automatically update the game files when a new update is available.
  • Displays the current server status (online/offline).

Server & Website
  • The server is running on a Linux VPS.
  • The websites front page has been removed and the only page available is to register.

It has been a while since the last update, but now that I have most of the basic infrastructure setup I can start implementing gameplay. I am also actively working on this, whereas before I didn't work on it for months at a time.

I will probably release something playable this weekend, for testing purposes.

The only screenshot I have worth sharing currently is for the launcher:

LMM863u.png

Level 7
So I do have a question. I understood the maps will be connected, however, who will make the maps, and how will they be connected? would it be something like the launcher forcing you into some sort of hub area with portals to all sorts of maps submitted by various contributors, or is it area by area connection? Or will the maps be made by the maker himself (as in you)? I do kinda have to say, I'm anticipating this with very high hopes :)

So I do have a question. I understood the maps will be connected, however, who will make the maps, and how will they be connected? would it be something like the launcher forcing you into some sort of hub area with portals to all sorts of maps submitted by various contributors, or is it area by area connection? Or will the maps be made by the maker himself (as in you)? I do kinda have to say, I'm anticipating this with very high hopes :)

The map switching works as it would on a single player map. It takes you to the loading screen and loads a new map when you get to a new area. There will be entrances, portals, caves ect.. that will take you to another map.

The maps will be made by me, or whoever decides to help me. I haven't decided on user created content yet.

Level 6
The map switching works as it would on a single player map. It takes you to the loading screen and loads a new map when you get to a new area. There will be entrances, portals, caves ect.. that will take you to another map.

The maps will be made by me, or whoever decides to help me. I haven't decided on user created content yet.

Hey you have seen Warcraft 3 conquest, we do map switch and store data independant from it, you will do some similar?? Also good work for Battle net like launcher..

I have released the current progress. You may download the launcher and test it out for yourself. Please report any bugs.

Download

The project homepage is back up as well.

Hey you have seen Warcraft 3 conquest, we do map switch and store data independant from it, you will do some similar?? Also good work for Battle net like launcher..

I have seen a little about it. I previously had map switching, and many more features implemented (such as questing, gear, leveling ect..), but I have re-coded most of the project to use my framework.

Working on MMO framework is probably fun, new, challenging, and so on. But I hope you will have at least the same level of interest in map making too. Probably it wouldn't be equally as fun yet it takes more times and efforts so please, keep your spirit up~!

I have a normal wc3 map I still am planning to work on.

Last edited:
There have been some updates since my last post.

Most notably, you can change maps while online. I added a test map which you can travel to from a portal. The system I created will allow me to easily (and dynamically) add custom maps which can have entrances to other maps.

Download

[8/22/2017 - Patch #2]
  • Switching between maps while online is now implemented.
  • Fixed the black screen issue when using a directory with spaces.
  • Many improvements to the core code.

[8/21/2017 - Patch #1]
  • Game time is now synced between players.
  • Units can no longer patrol.
  • Chat flood filter implemented to prevent spamming of messages.

Last edited:
Download - Website

[8/23/2017 - Patch #3]

• Began implementation of the combat system. There are only basic attacks for now.
  • Creeps can now spawn on the map and can be attacked, but currently have no AI.
  • NPCs can now spawn on the map.
  • Portal removed in the demo map in favor of a cave. You can enter the cave to switch maps.
  • Added a basic character revival system.

Level 2
awesome launcher, so easy to use too. glad to see its back online
sadly cant get experience or i would totally farm on this lone wolf here xD

can you create a discord for this project maybe?

Last edited:
Download - Website

[8/30/2017 - Patch #5]

• Chat log implemented.
  • Chat message time stamps replaced with [All] or [Local].
  • New test ranged enemy added (Wizard).
  • Bug fixes related to switching maps.
[8/29/2017 - Patch #4]
  • Reworked syncing of combat.
  • You can now gain experience from killing enemies.
  • Chat messages can now be sent across maps in the "All" chat mode.
  • You can switch chat modes with the "/all" and "/local" commands.
  • You can turn toggle delay for chat messages with "/delay on" and "/delay off".
  • Added a "/ping" command.
  • Various bug fixes and improvements.
The update took a bit longer because I was trying to find the smoothest way to sync combat, and I scrapped a few ideas. It seems to be working well now.

awesome launcher, so easy to use too. glad to see its back online

The launcher will eventually be re-coded (will probably keep the design). I threw most of it together fairly quickly just to get it up & running.

It's mostly fine, but there a couple minor issues with it.

sadly cant get experience or i would totally farm on this lone wolf here xD

With the newest patch you can gain EXP, and if you had experience in the previous demo, it will carry over.

can you create a discord for this project maybe?

I think eventually I will.

Last edited:
Download - Website

[9/4/2017 - Patch #6]

Game

• You can now create up to 3 characters per account.
  • You can now select a race when creating a character (currently Human & Orc).
Launcher
  • Download progress is shown when updating.
  • You can now manage your characters (create and delete) from the launcher.
  • Various code improvements.
Server
  • Improved logging.

Last edited:
just a minor bug: when i click on an empty slot and change the name, then klick on new character and type in all the stuff, i get an error message.

What was the error message?

I get a black screen when trying to start the game. Do you need a special version for it?

Are you using 1.28.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.