• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Warcraft 3 MMO - Persistent Gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Can you link to the solution you use? I'm interested

Level 1
Very interesting idea. I would like to help a bit with the terrain if you want.
YES, HE DOES WANT IT. Come on, let's keep this ball rolling!!! I can level design, come on, can't keep delaying making content or else this isn't going to come out for another year. D:
Someone make a group convo, let's start doing more than just having one guy programming!

Update.

Just run the Game Launcher and everything will automatically update.

Game & Server
  • Quest system has started to be implemented.
    1. You can accept quests from specific units (NPCs). For now, just click on the units with a "!" above their head, while you are near them.
    2. Quests have requirements before they can be turned in (currently only items).
    3. You can receive rewards from quests, but right now there are none.
    4. Quests are added to your Quest Log (f9), and your progress will remain even if you leave the game.

• Drop Table system implemented. Now each type of enemy can have a % chance to drop individual items.
  • Added new enemy: Gray Wolf.
  • Added new item: Wolf Pelt.

Launcher - v1.0.0.9
  • Fixed a bug where the SharpCraft directory path wouldn't save.
  • Fixed a bug where the launcher would check the wrong path for an updated SharpCraft version.

10-png.248842

Last edited:
Level 3
TriggerHappy i'm with this very annoying bug... I'm using windows 8. I load my account normally in the launcher but when i click on Start game, this happens. . I'm programming a warcraft 3 mmo too by the way, but you were faster i guess.

Last edited:

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
Suscribete! :ag:

Anyway, about the auto-attack thing. I have a simpler trick I once used:
- Set the owner of monsters to neutral passive
- Set the player to treat neutral passive as enemy (to make the cursor turns red when hovering monsters)
- Add peon classification to hero
- When a monster takes damage from player, set the owner of the monster to neutral aggressive
- If the monster isn't attacked for a while, set the owner back to neutral passive

I used the same approach in my creep system thing. So far I haven't found any flaw.

There is still a flaw if there are more than one monster currently owned by neutral aggressive. To eliminate this, don't set the owner to neutral aggressive at all. But you need to trigger when the monster need to attack and when to stop.

Last edited:
Update.

Game & Server
  • Currency system introduced. Players can now have gold & silver. 100 silver is equal to 1 gold.
  • Chat log added. You can now see previous typed messages in the Log (F12).
  • Quest reward types added: Experience & Currency.
  • Quest log now correctly updates when changing maps.
  • Combat has been unlocked. You can attack other players as well as be attacked.
  • Enemy units can now target and attack players.
  • Basic player revive system.
Launcher - v1.0.1.0
  • The launcher will automatically add slashes to the end of your paths if they don't already have it.
  • Updated to use newest version of SharpCraft.

11-png.248972

Last edited:
Level 2
So it looks like you're getting closer everyday to start working on the MMO itself. so I think it's time you think about what kind of MMO you want to make? would it be in the Warcraft Universe? (which I would recommend because of the ressources available although may be pick a diffrent timeline to make it stand out from WoW) ? or a new custom universe? a Warhammer 40k Universe? I'm really existed and I may be horrible at pretty much everything in modding I could do a decent terrain to help you.
You just need to give the green light to the members of the Hive and I'm certain that they would absolutely aid you in such project with great pleasure . I'm really existed for this! This could be history being made.

Hm, does not work for me.
"Unable to locate war3.exe" also he correctly found my folder "C:\Warcraft III"

When I try to start i get an "Error while downloading files needed to run the game. System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException"

I updated the launcher again, try the newest version (it should ask to update automatically when running).

If it still doesn't work PM me the error, and try manually extracting the files in this post.

would it be in the Warcraft Universe?

No

Update.

Game & Server
  • New quest added.
  • New quest requirement: minimum hero level.
  • Quest givers can now have a line of quests.
  • Changed many of the bronze items to something else.
  • Updated the table and rates for item drops.
  • Rock Golems added to the cave.
  • Minor terrain update for the cave.
  • Enemies are less powerful.
  • Combat and enemy targeting systems are much smoother.
  • Improved and cleaned up much of the server code.
  • Re-worked the how the server stored quest data and parsed requirements.

Level 1
Redownloaded it. Played till I got to level 3.

Some things I noticed:
-the silver icon changes back to lumber when in the cave
-when you get enough items and when you -viewbag, you can't see half of it(not important, it'd just be nice for now to change the location to the middle left or change it so the y stays constant)
-health refills/resets when changing maps(currently intentional? helped with the grind at least)
-one time the wolf didn't aggro when I had come back from the cave to get my hp back(the wolf was really close to the entrance)
-it takes some time for the inventory to update; up to around five seconds was the longest

The silver thing may be because I just extracted /Gamefiles to /Maps, no?

P.S.: How's it going in the game design department? Any progress there? I liked that you made the quests "collect x from slain creature and bring it to me" instead of "kill x creature and come tell me you've killed it, no proof needed, I'll believe you!".

the silver icon changes back to lumber when in the cave

Fixed.

-you can use singleplayer cheats when u log in, needs fix asap
-golems drop wolf pelt (furry golems ftw)

Fixed.

when you get enough items and when you -viewbag, you can't see half of it
-health refills/resets when changing maps
-it takes some time for the inventory to update

I'm aware of all these and they temporary due to this being a testing ground.

How's it going in the game design department? Any progress there?

Still working on the server/client code and infrastructure.

-combat is abit wacky with delays

What do you mean?

-crashes (probaly from desync)

From changing maps?

Level 6
Hey TriggerHappy,
work after some trouble with my defender again.
here some suggestions for the gameplay perspective of the testmaps:
please add a way to heal your character either add a rest ability, healpotions/-herbs or give the fireplace an aura so you don't have alsway to switch the maps to heal yourself.
btw: the character has max life after switching the maps and not the amount befor switching I don't know if this is a bug or a feature;)
add the quest giver a way that the player can interact to start the quest at the moment I right/leftclick, go to them until I got the message to get the quest but I don't know what action of these starts the quest...

keep on good work!

A recomendation, you should post the mod on Moddb, your mod will be popular, mine its in pos 2000.

I will probably post it there eventually.

are you still working on this? cuz i downloaded it today and its awesome

Yes.

I got a fatal error when i switched to the cave map.

I'm working on this.

do i need a high internet speed to play this?
are you planning to give players a customized server/a way to make a server for their own in the future?

I play/test/create with a high ping of about 150-200, and it works fine for me. The server is located in the Netherlands (for now).

There probably won't be player servers, but I would like some user created content in some way.

Level 6
This is awsome !!!
i did not think TriggerHappy would come back ^^
Good luck to you guys :)
Keep the good work !

Level 3
I can't get the Quest.
I have tried right clicking double click, left click noe of these are working.

And one more think, Sharcraft doesn't support wine :'(

Last edited:
Level 6
is this going to be a personal map project or would you ever open it up to others to create servers?

I will be working on this again shortly.

is this going to be a personal map project or would you ever open it up to others to create servers?

This will be my personal project.

is it updated for newest patch?

I haven't tried it yet, but I would assume not since it's using an outdated SharpCraft.

Level 2
I keep getting a 404 error when ever i do anything. This is the one from when I try to start up the game.

Attachments

• Error.PNG
    Error.PNG
    41.5 KB · Views: 91

Kazeon

Level 33
I wonder how are you gonna deal with imported files, triggers, and object data? Given that you will (later) have not just two or three maps but "many" of 'em, right? It can be crazy. I suggest you, before it's too late, to significantly increase per map's size, to reduce the amount of needed maps. Suggestedly use the maximum 448x448 size or something, in case your project become so successful and become a massive game.

I wonder how are you gonna deal with imported files, triggers, and object data? Given that you will (later) have not just two or three maps but "many" of 'em, right? It can be crazy. I suggest you, before it's too late, to significantly increase per map's size, to reduce the amount of needed maps. Suggestedly use the maximum 448x448 size or something, in case your project become so successful and become a massive game.

Object data and imports can easily be shared between maps. I already have imports shared (local files).

I'll be fine with making as many maps as I need, afaik.

keep going triggerhappy :) 2017 will be the year for epic wc3 mmo

Yes.

I keep getting a 404 error when ever i do anything. This is the one from when I try to start up the game.

Wait for next update.

Last edited:

Kazeon

Level 33
How about triggers? Let's say you have 10 maps, and you do an important update to one of the core systems (like the combat system, etc.). You will have to apply that little update to every single map one by one. Which is quiet troublesome. Not to mention if you make little mistake or some in those updates, and you need to re-update them. And I'm quite sure you will need much more than 10 maps, given you only use a very small size for each map.

So, still I suggest you to increase it at least a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.