• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

War3 Model Editor

This bundle is marked as director's cut. It exceeds all expectations and excels in every regard.
//MOD EDIT// - PLEASE CHECK "UPDATE 2" below before posting if you have ISSUES USING MAGOS

This Model Editor is not made by me, but is made by Magos.

War3 Model Editor is as the name suggests a Model Viewer and a Model Editor dedicated to Warcraft 3. It supports both loading and saving of .mdl and .mdx model formats which are used in Warcraft 3. It also supports .bmp, .tga, .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .pcx and .blp texture formats.

There is a built-in MPQ Browser that allows you to browse any MPQ archive, which also includes Warcraft 3 map files (.w3m and .w3x). The MPQ Browser has been optimized for speed and is very fast to load and use. The Browser is customizable so you can add/remove your own icons and filters.

Features

* Model Viewer
* Model Editor
* Geoset Importing/Exporting
* Can save/load the model formats *.mdl and *.mdx
* Can save/load the texture formats .bmp, .tga, .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .pcx and .blp
* Can import other model formats (importers stored in DLLs)
* Ability to convert between the model formats
* Ability to convert between the texture formats
* MPQ Browser (very fast loading)
* Support for custom listfiles
* Support for custom MPQ filters & icons

Extras

* Loading Screen Creator
* A tool to create colored text for Warcraft 3

Supported Importers

* md2 (Quake 2)
* ms3d (Milkshape)

UPDATE 1 //by Rui​

Hey people, it's Rui. I have updated the tool to v1.07 and added some keywords for searching. Enjoy!

UPDATE 2 //by Khyrberos​

In recent years, both with modern OSes & with Reforged, W3ME might require a few adjustments to work properly.

(Made redundant by update 3)
One common issue over the years was missing DLLs; as described in this post by Hero_Lief and this message by Pyf, the DirectX Installer can be downloaded here. (Alternatively, as Hermit describes here, you can Google & download the specific file 'd3dx_9.dll' needed by W3ME.)

(Doesn't apply to beta v1.08)
A new issue with 1.30+ is its use of the CASC data system, replacing the old MPQ system. As described by Hermit in this post, you will need to have/find a copy of the old MPQs & put them where War3 Model Editor can find them in order for it to work properly. It appears 1.28 files work the best in v1.07

UPDATE 3 //by BogdanW3​

The v1.07 zip has been repacked to include the dll needed to make it run without having to install the DirectX runtime, thank you to @Dr Super Good for noting that that's the proper way to do things now with deprecation of Direct3D9 taking place.

You can now also download a new version, v1.08 beta, which was updated by me (@BogdanW3) and has some nice new, albeit still to be thoroughly tested, features:

* Edit texture paths directly from the textures window (no need for MDL for this)
* Support for v1000 (1.32) and v1100 (1.33, only loading for now) SD MDX models
* DDS texture support
* Hierarchical loading of textures (a texture referenced as tga in a model will no longer fail to load if the file is for example blp)
* Loading assets from CASC (no CASC browser at this time due to library limitations)
* 24 team colours
* Replaceable IDs 36 and 37, as well as a few more event objects are added from entries in the game data (thank you @Hermit)
* And more!

Feel free to contact me if there's any bugs or regressions you wish to report. MagosX has given me permission to post it, so I would like to thank him for that as well as making a great model editor with a very readable codebase!
This version currently works best with 1.29 MPQs or 1.31+ CASC.
Requires the 64-bit Visual C++ 2015 runtime.

PS, applies to all versions of W3ME:​

To set up the War3 Model Editor to load data (be it MPQs, or CASC in v1.08) from a specific folder, you will want to set up the string Registry value InstallPath in the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III\ to point to the Warcraft 3 data folder you wish to use.
For a more step-by-step explanation, check this comment by StormKnight.

Keywords:
warcraft, 3, III, magos, w3me, editor, model, war3, wc3, mdx
Contents

War3 Model Editor v1.07 (Binary)

War3 Model Editor v1.08 (64-bit, beta) (Binary)

Reviews
PurplePoot: Approved for extreme usefulness, whether as a mapper or a modeler.
Level 1
sir, can you help me, i got problem in opening warcraft3 model editor...it says "...failed to start because d3dx9_35.dll was not found. Re-installing this application may fix this problem."
what shall i Do??
(Does my warcraft3 must be installed in my computer?? co'z I just copied it from my classmate)

thank you for attention.. :)

Level 37
sir, can you help me, i got problem in opening warcraft3 model editor...it says "...failed to start because d3dx9_35.dll was not found. Re-installing this application may fix this problem."
what shall i Do??
(Does my warcraft3 must be installed in my computer?? co'z I just copied it from my classmate)

thank you for attention.. :)

If you use "Search this thread" menu and enter d3dx9_35.dll, you get over 100 reults.

Level 14
I have trouble replacing a sound. Can someone help me?

This is what i do :
1. Open the War3 Model Editor (Duh!)
2. Import the model
3. Go to Windows -> Node Manager
4. Change the sound
5. Click OK
6. Save as blablabla.mdx
7. Import in the map
8. Use it in a spell
9. Fail - the sound plays, but the model doesn't appear

Help me please, i will appreciate everything!

Level 3
It has everything! Model Editor, camera manager, geosets and more! The hard way of removing weapons can also be done here. (The easy way is alpha skinning. The ALTERNATE easy way is to remove the weapon geoset as long as the weapon geoset IS only the weapon.)

Level 3
I hope there is a newer version MUCH MORE cooler than this. Such as UVMapping, Creating Stand-alone models.(Serouisly, when making a model in Magos model editor, arthas's head will appear always even when a other head geoset like a mountain king is used.)That's only i co0uld think of doing.

There are still some few bugs with that tool. It's kinda annoying. I don't know if Rui will update it but anyway...

- The non-static color for ribbon emitters doesn't work. It saves the 1st occurence as a static color.
- The camera's "position" and "target position" can't be non-static (it doesn't want to save/load). I remember having a bug with those fields being reversed but maybe it was with MdlxConv, not War3 Model Editor.
- In ParticleEmitter2, when you save as .mdx, if the filter mode is "None", it automatically saves it as "Additive". It also checks the "Head" option. It is usefull in most cases but it totally disables the filter "None".

I thought the Rotation bug (for any kind of node) wasn't fixed but it seems I were wrong :D.
There is also the fact that it saves attachment's visibility fields after everything else (in .mdl) and MdlVis doesn't load it properly ; but that's MdlVis fault.

Awesome tool nonetheless.

Level 15
Level 9
this tool is very usefull and versatille

it enables unexperienced people to geomerge warcraft 3 models - i learned how to geomerge with this programm by watching utube videos about it so as you can see it is quite easy to learn :p

----
[if you try to geomerge with this program note this: when exporting a geomerge it must not be edited in any way or it will be invisible when it is 'added' to a new model - at least that's what happened when i tried it - so import the whole geomerge to your new model and then you can edit it along with the new model as a whole

i'm writing this just in case someone has the same problem i had when trying to export geosets.

Level 15
Level 2
If anyone still has problems with the Splatdata error then try extracting the archive at C:/

I did this and i got no more of these messages. It must have something to do with the folder path...

Level 4
"This application has failed to start because d3d9.dll was not found. Re-installing may fix this problem." This is what happens when I try to run the program. Any suggestions on what's wrong? I've re-downloaded this 4 times now in hopes something changed, yet nothing has.

PLEASE P.M. me or post back to tell me what's wrong or if you can give me one that you have that works.

that is what happenet to me too. But I fix it. I just download the Directx9 and its working !!

Level 3
Ummm I don't see how this is a model editor eg: I'm trying to make a custom model and you can't make any lines move or change the shape of the model just look and it and change the sizes.Whats the program everyone uses to make all these models I see and download and there custom how do I make my own custom model like the one I see here on Hive? an answer would be appreciated :smile:

Level 15
Ummm I don't see how this is a model editor eg: I'm trying to make a custom model and you can't make any lines move or change the shape of the model just look and it and change the sizes.Whats the program everyone uses to make all these models I see and download and there custom how do I make my own custom model like the one I see here on Hive? an answer would be appreciated :smile:
For that, you can use MDLVIS: http://blizzardmodding.info/4264/mdlvis/

Level 15
You could, you know, link to the original source that does not force people to register new accounts on random sites.
First, there's no need to register to my site to download the file, second my site is not random and third, the link you provided does not link to a direct download. There's nothing there to download.

First, there's no need to register to my site to download the file, second my site is not random.

Really now?
attachment.php

Edit:
and third, the link you provided does not link to a direct download. There's nothing there to download.
Gee, I wonder what that "382 KB ↵" download button might be there for.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 398
Last edited:
Level 2
"This application has failed to start because d3d9.dll was not found. Re-installing may fix this problem." This is what happens when I try to run the program. Any suggestions on what's wrong? I've re-downloaded this 4 times now in hopes something changed, yet nothing has.

PLEASE P.M. me or post back to tell me what's wrong or if you can give me one that you have that works.

The same as me

Hee

Hee

Level 1
Can somebody help me, whenever I open war3.mpq/war3x.mpq on mpq browser it always says Unable to open... can someone help me quick here?