• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

War3 Model Editor

This bundle is marked as director's cut. It exceeds all expectations and excels in every regard.
//MOD EDIT// - PLEASE CHECK "UPDATE 2" below before posting if you have ISSUES USING MAGOS

This Model Editor is not made by me, but is made by Magos.

War3 Model Editor is as the name suggests a Model Viewer and a Model Editor dedicated to Warcraft 3. It supports both loading and saving of .mdl and .mdx model formats which are used in Warcraft 3. It also supports .bmp, .tga, .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .pcx and .blp texture formats.

There is a built-in MPQ Browser that allows you to browse any MPQ archive, which also includes Warcraft 3 map files (.w3m and .w3x). The MPQ Browser has been optimized for speed and is very fast to load and use. The Browser is customizable so you can add/remove your own icons and filters.

Features

* Model Viewer
* Model Editor
* Geoset Importing/Exporting
* Can save/load the model formats *.mdl and *.mdx
* Can save/load the texture formats .bmp, .tga, .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .pcx and .blp
* Can import other model formats (importers stored in DLLs)
* Ability to convert between the model formats
* Ability to convert between the texture formats
* MPQ Browser (very fast loading)
* Support for custom listfiles
* Support for custom MPQ filters & icons

Extras

* Loading Screen Creator
* A tool to create colored text for Warcraft 3

Supported Importers

* md2 (Quake 2)
* ms3d (Milkshape)

UPDATE 1 //by Rui​

Hey people, it's Rui. I have updated the tool to v1.07 and added some keywords for searching. Enjoy!

UPDATE 2 //by Khyrberos​

In recent years, both with modern OSes & with Reforged, W3ME might require a few adjustments to work properly.

(Made redundant by update 3)
One common issue over the years was missing DLLs; as described in this post by Hero_Lief and this message by Pyf, the DirectX Installer can be downloaded here. (Alternatively, as Hermit describes here, you can Google & download the specific file 'd3dx_9.dll' needed by W3ME.)

(Doesn't apply to beta v1.08)
A new issue with 1.30+ is its use of the CASC data system, replacing the old MPQ system. As described by Hermit in this post, you will need to have/find a copy of the old MPQs & put them where War3 Model Editor can find them in order for it to work properly. It appears 1.28 files work the best in v1.07

UPDATE 3 //by BogdanW3​

The v1.07 zip has been repacked to include the dll needed to make it run without having to install the DirectX runtime, thank you to @Dr Super Good for noting that that's the proper way to do things now with deprecation of Direct3D9 taking place.

You can now also download a new version, v1.08 beta, which was updated by me (@BogdanW3) and has some nice new, albeit still to be thoroughly tested, features:

* Edit texture paths directly from the textures window (no need for MDL for this)
* Support for v1000 (1.32) and v1100 (1.33, only loading for now) SD MDX models
* DDS texture support
* Hierarchical loading of textures (a texture referenced as tga in a model will no longer fail to load if the file is for example blp)
* Loading assets from CASC (no CASC browser at this time due to library limitations)
* 24 team colours
* Replaceable IDs 36 and 37, as well as a few more event objects are added from entries in the game data (thank you @Hermit)
* And more!

Feel free to contact me if there's any bugs or regressions you wish to report. MagosX has given me permission to post it, so I would like to thank him for that as well as making a great model editor with a very readable codebase!
This version currently works best with 1.29 MPQs or 1.31+ CASC.
Requires the 64-bit Visual C++ 2015 runtime.

PS, applies to all versions of W3ME:​

To set up the War3 Model Editor to load data (be it MPQs, or CASC in v1.08) from a specific folder, you will want to set up the string Registry value InstallPath in the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III\ to point to the Warcraft 3 data folder you wish to use.
For a more step-by-step explanation, check this comment by StormKnight.

Keywords:
warcraft, 3, III, magos, w3me, editor, model, war3, wc3, mdx
Contents

War3 Model Editor v1.07 (Binary)

War3 Model Editor v1.08 (64-bit, beta) (Binary)

Reviews
PurplePoot: Approved for extreme usefulness, whether as a mapper or a modeler.
The program is getting old and doesn't work as well as on WinXP.
Copy-paste your files "war3.mpq", "war3x.mpq" and "war3Patch.mpq" from your Warcraft III folder into your War3ModelEditor folder.

If anyone has a better solution, I'm also interested ^^

The program works perfectly fine at least on windows 7.
It should find those files from your pc automatically if wc3 is properly installed and the registry entries are correct.
If not, you might need to run the warcraft 3 registry fixer.

Level 2
Copy-paste your files "war3.mpq", "war3x.mpq" and "war3Patch.mpq" from your Warcraft III folder into your War3ModelEditor folder.

Ty Man, this works, ty!

Level 1

you can extract ME files into warcraft installation folder.

Level 4
ok dude....if you dont know how to fix our errors....can you tell me how you maked this program?....maybe i can make a better one...

"Maybe" wasn't enough.
Making a program like this recquires a lot of time. Works recquiring that amount of time also recquires motivation so you keep going. And you can't have enough motivation if that work has already been 99% done by another guy before you.

That said, there is enough informations in the link I gave you so you can try to "improve" his program and not "make a better one".

No offensive either.

Level 4
uuuh i missespeled Improve with Create btw....dude i just will try to help guys with Cant Create3D Device error...thats why i try to improve his editor...(tryning to fix that error without buyning new pc components(but if someone have a very old pc then there is no help then))

ok dude....if you dont know how to fix our errors....can you tell me how you maked this program?....maybe i can make a better one...

^i sayed MAYBE...so dont complicate....and btw if he makes the program why we cant?...no offensive

Making a program isn't as simple as sitting down and drawing a stick-figure.

From the sounds of it you don't even know C++. I don't mean that as an insult... I don't either...

But if you want to make something better than this, you'll have to learn how first. Asking somebody to teach you how to make a program exactly like theirs but "better" would be like asking them to write the whole program while demonstrating to you how it's done, and then giving you the credit for it.

And this issue you're having isn't caused by having an older computer. One of my computers wasn't even built in this century, and it works for it.

If there's a problem with this program, there is likely also a solution, and if you don't have the skills or motivation to find it, then you definitely wouldn't be able to make an even better program.

There's nothing wrong with not knowing how to do it; just don't try to pretend you're some sort of master that will instantly create things greater than anyone else achieved when you don't even know the basic level of the subject. It's insulting to those who actually are good at what they do, to have someone else treat it like it's as simple as drawing a stick-figure.

Last edited:
Level 4
^(no offensive) dude....i didnt say "his program never works and everyone gets the problem)...i would never say such a think...and also i not some sort of idiotic little kids who thinks they are gods...i sayed "i just will try to help guys with Cant Create3D Device error...thats why i will try to improve his editor..."....if you know how to fix the error then share it with us the *problematic* and again no offensive dude we are only chating

Level 3
When i try to run the Model Editor, it always says "The Program can't start because d3dx9_35.dll is missing from your computer,Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem".
i did try to reinstall and download a new one but it stills show up that error? PLS help me solve this error?

Last edited:
Level 15
When i try to run the Model Editor, it always says "The Program can't start because d3dx9_35.dll is missing from your computer,Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem".
i did try to reinstall and download a new one but it stills show up that error? PLS help me solve this error?
Just download my version of WC3 model editor, it comes with all needed to run: http://blizzardmodding.info/4430/magos-war3-model-editor/

Level 1
I can't open this program.It appears this:
This application has failed to start because d3d9.dll was not found. Re-installing may fix this problem.
Do you know what must i do?

Level 23
I'd say that problem has been answered at least once per page.

Now let me just quote HT here. :p

Never seen this amount of morons in one thread.

THIS THREAD IS FILLED WITH MORONS, PEOPLE WHO CAN'T READ. I mean seriously, the d9 question is solved X times already.

IT'S ENORMOUS HOW MANY MORONS THERE ARE IN THIS THREAD!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe it! Every single idiot has asked the same question over and over! Do you people EVER, FUCKING, READ?!

Level 13
"This application has failed to start because d3d9.dll was not found. Re-installing may fix this problem." This is what happens when I try to run the program. Any suggestions on what's wrong? I've re-downloaded this 4 times now in hopes something changed, yet nothing has.

PLEASE P.M. me or post back to tell me what's wrong or if you can give me one that you have that works.

relate :thumbs_down:

Level 8
Hey, I downloaded it but it doesn't work... It says d3dx9_35.dll was not found... What's that supposed to mean?

Level 15
This application has failed to start because d3d9.dll was not found -_-
images

And again... people don't read the thread... :ogre_rage:

Hey, I downloaded it but it doesn't work... It says d3dx9_35.dll was not found... What's that supposed to mean?
Your answer

A big solution for a big problem: http://blizzardmodding.info/4430/magos-war3-model-editor/

It comes with the required directx dll.

Level 1
The extensions are failing to register for me, I even tried to use the war3 registry fixer, ive moved over the mpq files to the main folder (I even tried them in the data folder). For whatever reason this isnt working for me and Id like some assistance; Im running on windows 8.

I have new War3Patch.txt listfile (By me)
Please Update it.

Sadly, he has been inactive for 5 years. Maybe you could talk to a moderator about the possibility of having them update this with your fix after some testing to ensure that it works. If it does, I am sure lots of people in the future will appreciate not having to each fix it themselves.

Level 27
Ok, first time in my life using Win7, Have every .dll error, and those can't open program messages.

Maybe for the sake of simplicity add Blizzmod version that works in WIN7 without any problem, and a little text file explaining how to use compatibility mode for those with newer version of windows.

That could be a great way to avoid the same question 5k times more.