• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

War3 Model Editor

This bundle is marked as director's cut. It exceeds all expectations and excels in every regard.
//MOD EDIT// - PLEASE CHECK "UPDATE 2" below before posting if you have ISSUES USING MAGOS

This Model Editor is not made by me, but is made by Magos.

War3 Model Editor is as the name suggests a Model Viewer and a Model Editor dedicated to Warcraft 3. It supports both loading and saving of .mdl and .mdx model formats which are used in Warcraft 3. It also supports .bmp, .tga, .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .pcx and .blp texture formats.

There is a built-in MPQ Browser that allows you to browse any MPQ archive, which also includes Warcraft 3 map files (.w3m and .w3x). The MPQ Browser has been optimized for speed and is very fast to load and use. The Browser is customizable so you can add/remove your own icons and filters.

Features

* Model Viewer
* Model Editor
* Geoset Importing/Exporting
* Can save/load the model formats *.mdl and *.mdx
* Can save/load the texture formats .bmp, .tga, .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .pcx and .blp
* Can import other model formats (importers stored in DLLs)
* Ability to convert between the model formats
* Ability to convert between the texture formats
* MPQ Browser (very fast loading)
* Support for custom listfiles
* Support for custom MPQ filters & icons

Extras

* Loading Screen Creator
* A tool to create colored text for Warcraft 3

Supported Importers

* md2 (Quake 2)
* ms3d (Milkshape)

UPDATE 1 //by Rui​

Hey people, it's Rui. I have updated the tool to v1.07 and added some keywords for searching. Enjoy!

UPDATE 2 //by Khyrberos​

In recent years, both with modern OSes & with Reforged, W3ME might require a few adjustments to work properly.

(Made redundant by update 3)
One common issue over the years was missing DLLs; as described in this post by Hero_Lief and this message by Pyf, the DirectX Installer can be downloaded here. (Alternatively, as Hermit describes here, you can Google & download the specific file 'd3dx_9.dll' needed by W3ME.)

(Doesn't apply to beta v1.08)
A new issue with 1.30+ is its use of the CASC data system, replacing the old MPQ system. As described by Hermit in this post, you will need to have/find a copy of the old MPQs & put them where War3 Model Editor can find them in order for it to work properly. It appears 1.28 files work the best in v1.07

UPDATE 3 //by BogdanW3​

The v1.07 zip has been repacked to include the dll needed to make it run without having to install the DirectX runtime, thank you to @Dr Super Good for noting that that's the proper way to do things now with deprecation of Direct3D9 taking place.

You can now also download a new version, v1.08 beta, which was updated by me (@BogdanW3) and has some nice new, albeit still to be thoroughly tested, features:

* Edit texture paths directly from the textures window (no need for MDL for this)
* Support for v1000 (1.32) and v1100 (1.33, only loading for now) SD MDX models
* DDS texture support
* Hierarchical loading of textures (a texture referenced as tga in a model will no longer fail to load if the file is for example blp)
* Loading assets from CASC (no CASC browser at this time due to library limitations)
* 24 team colours
* Replaceable IDs 36 and 37, as well as a few more event objects are added from entries in the game data (thank you @Hermit)
* And more!

Feel free to contact me if there's any bugs or regressions you wish to report. MagosX has given me permission to post it, so I would like to thank him for that as well as making a great model editor with a very readable codebase!
This version currently works best with 1.29 MPQs or 1.31+ CASC.
Requires the 64-bit Visual C++ 2015 runtime.

PS, applies to all versions of W3ME:​

To set up the War3 Model Editor to load data (be it MPQs, or CASC in v1.08) from a specific folder, you will want to set up the string Registry value InstallPath in the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III\ to point to the Warcraft 3 data folder you wish to use.
For a more step-by-step explanation, check this comment by StormKnight.

Keywords:
warcraft, 3, III, magos, w3me, editor, model, war3, wc3, mdx
Contents

War3 Model Editor v1.07 (Binary)

War3 Model Editor v1.08 (64-bit, beta) (Binary)

Reviews
PurplePoot: Approved for extreme usefulness, whether as a mapper or a modeler.
Many people are having another error even after adding the DLL file.

I recommend the mods to replace the file we have here for this one: http://blizzardmodding.info/4430/magos-war3-model-editor/

Both are at the version 1.07, and the one here in THW doesn't seem to work in Windows 7, while the one from the link does work.

I have no idea why is that so, it just happened to me in all computers I tried the same way.

And that one comes with the DLL inside it, what would avoid tons of people that don't even read the thread and ask "omg desnt work dll error"...

Level 7
hey does this add models that you downloaded to the map editor.. for instance i have about 300 somewhat models, that are not imported. I am making an extensive campaign with custom sounds vocals, models, etcs. Do I still need to import them with this or no? Also perhaps maybe someone can give me a more efficient way to process through this lol.. its just me, wc III TFT editor and a ton of custom icons, models, a whole file of sounds wanting to integrate.. lol

Level 2
When i open War3ModelEditor it opens normal, but When i click on

"MPQ Browser"=>"File"=>"War3.mpq"

an ocurre error saying:
'Error

Unable to open "C:\Documents and Settings\Armando\War3ModelEditor\War3.mpq"! '

If i select War3x.mpq, War3xLocal.mpq and War3Patch.mpq it happens the same, there's a way to solve this, please?
Thanks for reading !

Edy

Edy

Level 9
If anyone has an error by starting this program , instaling the latest Direct X will solve it, and quit spaming the poor guy.

Btw one of the best things on hive, ( 5/5 ), would recommend.

dEsTrucTivE_MaN

D

dEsTrucTivE_MaN

File Missing - d3dx9_35.dll

Warcraft Error.png A file is missing!!! May 7,2016 5 PM --- Do something!!!

Roland

R

Roland

Here we see a user necroposting at these time. I mean really, This has been solved a lo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-ng t-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-m-m-m-m-m-m-m-m-m-m-m-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e AGO!

Level 6
can someone help me? i downloaded d3dx9_35 dll and finally can open the model editor but why the special effect on some model went nasty? last time it wasnt like this before i reinstall my windows and wc3 editor. take a look on my screenshoot
bugged.png

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Level 14
It means the path for the texture doesn't match up or that you are missing the texture. Look in the textures window in the model editor. If the texture has anything written before a / then make a folder with that name in the same location as the model and place the texture inside it. (Just the texture, not the model.)

Level 4
guys is it just me or does this model editor not support Heroes of the Storm models?? I downloaded some and when i try to open in Magos for some strange reason it will crash.

Level 14
Generally you can change the colors of particle effects in the node manager. Sometimes the particles use a texture that already has color though so you need to change the texture used to a different one (for example change redstar.blp to yellowstar.blp) a bunch of textures can be found in the MPQ library. Just right click and select Use as Texture.

Customizing In-game SFX
Here's a tutorial

Level 1
"This application has failed to start because d3d9.dll was not found. Re-installing may fix this problem." This is what happens when I try to run the program. Any suggestions on what's wrong? I've re-downloaded this 4 times now in hopes something changed, yet nothing has.

PLEASE P.M. me or post back to tell me what's wrong or if you can give me one that you have that works.

You need to download the d3d9_35.dll in this link: https://www.dll-files.com/download/3ef18b78d17c962f2b71ac1cb7757684/d3dx9_35.dll.html?c=UEt2U0VyeWkyaVVGUzZGVU1Ya0xidz09;)
and extract it, and move it to the War3 Model Editor Folder, and you have done TADA, open Model Editor and enjoy :wink::wink::wink::wink:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
You need to download the d3d9_35.dll in this link: https://www.dll-files.com/download/3ef18b78d17c962f2b71ac1cb7757684/d3dx9_35.dll.html?c=UEt2U0VyeWkyaVVGUzZGVU1Ya0xidz09;)
and extract it, and move it to the War3 Model Editor Folder, and you have done TADA, open Model Editor and enjoy :wink::wink::wink::wink:
@LightOfPeople : fyi, @Pillage was last seen here in January 2009.

d3dx9_35.dll comes with the DirectX 9.0c Runtime by Microsoft.

Therefore it is both a much better and safer solution, to install the DirectX9.0c End-User Runtime properly instead.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/179113/how-to-install-the-latest-version-of-directx
(use the official Web Installer by Microsoft)

** update **
I personally would never download a thing from the site you linked to... :bored:

Last edited:
Level 1

Therefore it is both a much better and safer solution, to install the DirectX9.0c End-User Runtime properly instead.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/179113/how-to-install-the-latest-version-of-directx

** update **
I personally would never download a thing from the site you linked to... :bored:
:eek::rolleyes::eek::eek::confused::vw_wtf:Ok, thanks you i will download this Direct 9.0c, thanks you bro :thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

Level 1

** update **
Hey bro, can you help me, why i can't open War3x.MPQ in Model Editor , i need someone help me

Attachments

• Error.png
    Error.png
    217.9 KB · Views: 317
Level 25
In the War3 model editor, open the mpq browser and click on Open MPQ Archive.
Don't use the already listed .mpqs, since those use a fixed path which does not fit with your current installation of Warcraft.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Don't use the already listed .mpqs, since those use a fixed path which does not fit with your current installation of Warcraft.
My installation path is C:\Jeux\Warcraft III, and the direct access to the contents of the four mpqs (War3, War3x, War3xLocal, War3Patch) works flawlessly on XP.

Therefore, no fixed / hardcoded path is being used here.

What is the game properly, can you help me pls!!
Warcraft III *must* be installed, either by using the setup of the original game CD(s), or by using Blizzard's official digital downloader / installer.

Once the game has been installed, one should not move the game's folder nor change its name / path directly, because it will break things. To move the game's folder to another location, one must first uninstall the game, then reinstall it elsewhere the official way.

Last edited:
Level 25
Alrighty, but I have it in Games\Warcraft 3 and it doesn't work.

We can sit and argue how proper installation of the game makes the shortcuts work, but my method gave him a proper way of fixing this.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Alrighty, but I have it in Games\Warcraft 3 and it doesn't work.
A clean reinstall from your official CD / installer may fix it imho.

Out of curiosity, did you successfully patch your game by using Blizzard's official patcher? And what is your OS?

my method gave him a proper way of fixing this.
One can browse for any mpq archive anywhere with it. Therefore, it looks more like a workaround to me.

At least one problem related to his game's installation remains unsolved imho.

Level 1
A clean reinstall from your official CD / installer may fix it imho.

Out of curiosity, did you successfully patch your game by using Blizzard's official patcher? And what is your OS?

One can browse for any mpq archive anywhere with it. Therefore, it looks more like a workaround to me.

At least one problem related to his game's installation remains unsolved imho.
Hey pyf, do you have any link of Warcraft III TFT and ROC version 1.24e, I need pls :p:p:p:p

Level 11

** update **
I have DirectX 12 but I get the following error message:

"The program can't start because d3dx9_35.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

What gives?

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I have DirectX 12 but I get the following error message:

"The program can't start because d3dx9_35.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

What gives?
Could be that DX12 discards deprecated functionality like newer OpenGL versions.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Level 18
(I notice Microsoft rewrote the information related to DirectX, and it is now somewhat unclear :bored: )

@Alethos: you need to install the DirectX 9.0c Runtime for XP / Server 2003. Some of its files (including d3dx9_35.dll) are not included in Windows Vista/7/8.x/10.

The easiest way to do so is to download and run the DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer:
Download DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer from Official Microsoft Download Center

Thanks, doing this now to see if it works. DirectX loves trying to install Bing doesn't it?

pyf

pyf

Level 32
@xDeathKnightx: before you can download the DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer, Microsoft may suggest additional downloads suited for your OS, such as Bing or their Malicious Software Removal Tool. As Alethos said, simply uncheck what you do not want, and then click 'No thanks and continue'.

@Alethos: no news is good news. Glad your issue is solved. :smile:

Level 18
@xDeathKnightx: before you can download the DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer, Microsoft may suggest additional downloads suited for your OS, such as Bing or their Malicious Software Removal Tool. As Alethos said, simply uncheck what you do not want, and then click 'No thanks and continue'.

@Alethos: no news is good news. Glad your issue is solved. :smile:

Hi pyf, I got it working and got the model file texture paths, all good now, thanks mate. Just don't know who to credit for the model :/