• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

War of Animals

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Have Fun I hope you Like it... . this Game is about a Cat and A dog. This Game IS near like Dota. Next time, i will make LOAP........
Contents

War of Animals (Map)

Reviews
Thing_I
A good description can really help your map get downloads from people who want to play maps like this! They are pretty important, and you shouldn't slack on them. Yours could use some improvement, so here are my recommendations: First off - you are...
deepstrasz
Ability icons and descriptions are either different when learning and using them or broken. Some abilities have the same icon on the same hero. The cat hero's icon has no DISBTN (looks like a green square on F10/pause); use this to make the require...
Level 6
A good description can really help your map get downloads from people who want to play maps like this! They are pretty important, and you shouldn't slack on them. Yours could use some improvement, so here are my recommendations:

• First off - you are required (by the rules of the site) to include in game screenshots of gameplay. So if you don't want this to be substandard, you'd better do that :p
  • Next: You should add a better description of the game. What can you expect from this game? What items are there? What makes this game unique??
  • Tags - You should add tags that suit your game. For example: 'Aeon of Strife / AoS' would be a helpful tag for you, as this game is an AoS map

Now that your description is a bit better, we should look at your actual gameplay elements. Things like: What items are there? Abilities, heroes, and so on. I found that your game was lacking on some of the fun points, so I have made some suggestions on this front as well.

• Your map has very linear gameplay (not nonlinear - the opposite of my link). This happens mainly from hero abilities. As the cat, you are required to skill linearly. You do not have options when it comes to your abilities, making all players who play Cat do the same.
  • Your map also has default abilities, or abilities that are only modified a little. An example, the cat uses windwalk (renamed Sneak, if I recall correctly) Your map should be unique! It should have fun abilities, things that set it apart from others.
  • Items. When it comes to the item selection, it seems that they are very moderate in their effect. That is to say, they do not provide for a different play style. This too contributes to linear gameplay.
  • Hero selection. It is understandable that there are only 2 heroes, however the lack of choices makes for a less fun experience. My suggestion to you is to maybe create a few different types of dogs and cats - to allow variety. There is a reason that games like dota have 100+ heroes :p
  • The Jungle (Area where neutrals spawn, mud golems etc.) The creeps respawn much too quickly here.
    • Also, there is a difficulty difference between the two sides. Balance is extremely important in a game like this, make sure that one side does not get an easier time jungling, or they will have an easier time winning.
  • Final point: No respawn for heroes?

The terrain is very plain and boring. There are a significant lack of doodads, and entirely open areas that serve no purpose. I'll point these out and try to make some suggestions, however I'm not a genius on terrain at all.

• Open areas

judge1.png (The image was WAY larger than I intended, so it's a thumbnail instead)

The areas highlighted on this minimap are completely empty. As you can see, it encompasses ~25% of the entire map area. I'm not sure behind your plans with this area, but something desperately needs to be done.
As it stands, the map looks utterly incomplete with these areas the way they are. I'd suggest either adding more jungle areas, adding cinematic areas (some large statues and what-not) or something unique to your game.

• Poor doodad choices

fireinwater.png

Here you can see fire.. in water. This clashes pretty hard, and is an eye sore. Also, near the bottom (and right) of the image you can see dirt and grass in harsh collision. Something needs to be done about that as well, it exists around the map.
  • Model Choices

unitChoices.png
In this example here, you can see that the towers don't really fit in with the undead theme around them. Perhaps swapping their model with Spirit Towers?
I'm sure there are many other ways that could improve your terrain (such as no plants or varying ground types throughout the jungle - abrupt changes in tile usage) but I've spent ~1 1/2 hours on this (this is the last part I've done)​

Bugs:

I will begin by saying that there are some very inefficient triggers here. I'll try to point them out to help you in your future maps. I'm not saying that I have good habits in coding by any means, but some of your triggers are quite sloppy. I will mention some of that here.
Also, some bugs will be mentioned.
  • Bug #1: Oracles do not give gold.
    • This problem boils down to simple mistakes in coding. Refer to the triggers: 'Fury Gold' and 'Lights Gold'

To begin, the Fury Gold trigger uses 2 conditions, which I assume to be just a mistake. When you use 2 conditions (correct me if I'm wrong, someone) it uses an AND operation. So in this sense, you are saying: If the dying unit is a defender AND they are either a defender or an oracle: blah blah
So if the dying unit is an oracle, it fails on the first check.
furygold.png

To fix this, simply remove the first condition.

A separate problem is present in the Lights Gold trigger. In this one, you do not check if the dying unit is an oracle at all.
lightsgold.png

To fix this, simply copy the OR condition from the other event (using ctrl+C/ctrl+V)

As an aside, you should consider using 'Unit-type of (triggering unit) Equal to ...' as it is ever so slightly more efficient.
  • Bug #2: Debug text is shown when picking unit (?)

It seems that the text 'dog' or 'cat' shows up when picking a unit. This is pretty unnecessary, and I assume that this was just a mistake.
dodialog.png

*** I said 'thier' in this :p I mean 'their' whoops!
Honestly not too many bugs, thought there would be a few more. This probably didn't need its own section.

You use 9 triggers to do a 2 trigger job. These triggers: #1 initialize the variables, #2 check when there are 0 creeps remaining in a camp and #3 respawn creeps on a random basis.
9trig.png

Let me explain the way that you do this, and then the way that would be a bit more efficient.

In your trigger "First Creeps Klled" you use a periodic event (ie. every ... of gametime) checking every .1 seconds to see if the creeps are dead. This is incredibly inefficient. Next, you use the trigger "First" to randomly see if the variable you changed in 'First Creeps Klled' is changed.
A more efficient way to do this would to check in a single trigger if the creeps are dead. Perhaps something like: "Every random real seconds if owned units == 0 then spawn more" I have my reserves about doing random real in an event (I don't know why, maybe that is just me) but it would be a single trigger as opposed to two.

This could be broken down further, incorporating all triggers (first, second third and fourth) to all do this in a single trigger. However I'll leave that to you to think about.
[/INDENT]

Anyways, I hope that you can improve this map, and make it something unique. I'll gladly change my rating if you make some changes like this! Good luck to you and your map!​

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Ability icons and descriptions are either different when learning and using them or broken. Some abilities have the same icon on the same hero.
The cat hero's icon has no DISBTN (looks like a green square on F10/pause); use this to make the require icon: Button Manager v1.8.2 and this to change between .blp and other image types: BLP Lab v0.5.0
Plus, the cat hero's icon is basically the image of the skin .blp...
I don't think shops looking alike and selling different things is a good idea.
Terrain is flat and unpolished.
Items are plain and simple; not more than two heroes to choose from.

@Thing_I summed it up more than nicely.

Overall, looks as if it were a pre-alpha project.

Set to SubstandArt.

====================================================================

Always check/recheck the Map Submission Rules! (Map Submission Rules)

These will help make a better description:

Screenshots could attract more players to download your work. Make the best of them.

A credits list is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated.

A changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.

If you want more reviews, come here:
The Grand Review Exchange!