• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Unclear Rule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I searched the rules to inform myself about my little problem and I didn't find anything mentioning it? I know it is against the rules to post wow rips. But if I want to make and upload a campaign with a lot of wow rips, will it be a problem? Thanks in advance to anybody who wants to help me.

Moved thread to Site Discussion.

I think it has been stated more than clearly here and here.
The linked posts are from 2007.

However, as long as the models are from blizzard you may use them.
Map Submission Rules:
The use of external materials is only permitted if the terms / license under which they are released allows it, or it can be classified as Fair Use.
  • Any material created by Blizzard Entertainment can safely be used, as long as the target game is owned by Blizzard Entertainment.
  • If they are released without terms / license, having permission from the author is preferred but not required, because the original author has full rights to have it removed.
  • The Hive Workshop deems the usage of copyrighted material in maps Fair Use as long as the map does not take value away from the source (e.g. a game) and the usage is non-profitable.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
But if I want to make and upload a campaign with a lot of wow rips, will it be a problem?
It will not be a problem at all. You can upload the map/campaign with as many World of Warcraft, Diablo III, StarCraft II and Hero of the Storm models as you feel necessary.

For usability I would try to optimize/limit the resources used to be suitable for Warcraft III. Maxing out a campaign at 2 GB with imported assets might be problematic, not only for people trying to download it but also for this site to host such a large download.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77

General Resource Rules
Rules said:
  • Exported materials from other sources is not permitted.
    One exception is content created by Blizzard Entertainment, which may be permitted if it is properly adapted to the Warcraft 3 engine and credit is given to Blizzard.
Rules said:
The use of external materials is only permitted as long as: (Applies to all resources except maps)
  • The usage is allowed according to the terms / license under which they are released.
    • Any material created by Blizzard Entertainment can safely be used, as long as the target game is owned by Blizzard Entertainment.
    • If they are released without terms / license, having permission from the author is preferred but not required, because the original author has full rights to have it removed.
  • They are properly adapted to the target game.
  • It is explicitly declared in the description which parts were created by somebody else.

Material exported from WoW is permitted. However, depending on what you define as a "rip" it may not be allowed. To me and I believe others too, "rip" signifies that it was not properly adapted to the Warcraft 3 engine.

EDIT: After re-reading the thread, I realised that you mean models used in your map. The rules for this are less strict. Here they are:

Map Submission Rules

Rules said:
  • The use of external materials is only permitted if the terms / license under which they are released allows it, or it can be classified as Fair Use.
    • The Hive Workshop deems the usage of copyrighted material in maps Fair Use as long as the map does not take value away from the source (e.g. a game) and the usage is non-profitable.

Level 1
To Copyright something is also a kind of steal, because you take away a possible way to make something like that. For example someone is drawing pikachu and copyright it, the next people cant draw it anymore, because its copyrighted. This is the real steal not if you copy it. You need to know that there are limited ways for creations. If we continue like this, the time will come everything is already copyrighted, just wait 100 years.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Copyright laws vary from country to country.

For example someone is drawing pikachu and copyright it, the next people cant draw it anymore, because its copyrighted.

Pokemon character names are *trademarks* of Nintendo.

As for what you wrote:
Legal Information | Pokemon.com
Legal Information

© 2017 Pokémon. © 1995–2017 Nintendo/Creatures Inc./GAME FREAK inc. Pokémon, Pokémon character names, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo DS, Wii, Wii U, and Wiiware are trademarks of Nintendo. The YouTube logo is a trademark of Google Inc. Other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Distribution in any form and any channels now known or in the future of derivative works based on the copyrighted property trademarks, service marks, trade names and other proprietary property (Fan Art) of The Pokémon Company International, Inc., its affiliates and licensors (Pokémon) constitutes a royalty-free, non-exclusive, irrevocable, transferable, sub-licensable, worldwide license from the Fan Art's creator to Pokémon to use, transmit, copy, modify, and display Fan Art (and its derivatives) for any purpose. No further consideration or compensation of any kind will be given for any Fan Art. Fan Art creator gives up any claims that the use of the Fan Art violates any of their rights, including moral rights, privacy rights, proprietary rights publicity rights, rights to credit for material or ideas or any other right, including the right to approve the way such material is used. In no uncertain terms, does Pokémon's use of Fan Art constitute a grant to Fan Art's creator to use the Pokémon intellectual property or Fan Art beyond a personal, noncommercial home use.

Hope this will help make things clearer:
- Copyright - Wikipedia
- Trademark - Wikipedia
- Patent - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Level 1
Its all the same. The time will come everything is copyrighted or everything is free because everything was already copyrighted and has lost his protection because of time limits. Im sure they will change the rights (and limitations) how they want it in the future, how they do it now. So of course the time limits could be longer than 20-70 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.