1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Rubbed the right way, the genie is out of its lamp! The 12th Concept Art Contest Results have been announced.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Request forum Rules & Guidelines (No GAME RIPS or resource exports)

Discussion in 'Recycle Bin' started by Archian, Jan 6, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Contents
    1. Request Forum Rules and Guidelines
    2. No GAME RIPS or resource exports

You can use this forum to request a resource(s) for your project in development.
    Note, that you can also use this forum to request animations, or .mdl editing etc. for models.

We highly suggest you Introduce yourself to the community first before wanting a request, since this is a community and not a place to freeload off from.
    The Forum section for intoducing yourself can be found here:
    http://hiveworkshop.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=360

Notice, that we cannot guarantee that your request will be answered.
    Our members will decide if they choose to make the resource you're requesting, it's not an obligation for them or for the Hive Workshop Staff.

However, there are some rules which should be observed when you're requesting a resource.
    • Make your topic name of your post relevant to your request content.
    • Try to explain your request as good and detailed as possible of what you want, so people know what you're talking about (include screenshots if needed)
    • DO NOT "shout" your request out (i.e. write it in capital letters).
    • Please use clear understandable english.
    • Please try not to ask to for anything that has already been requested, and at least check our collection for you item before requesting.
    • Only request an item once! Requesting an item many times may result in post/thread deletion or more.
    • DO NOT post more than once in row, if you are bumping then please wait at least 2 days before bumping. Double, triple etc posters will recieve negative reputation.
    • DO NOT Hijack peoples threads, this is read..VERY
    • DO NOT expect or demand people to do your request, people have lives and are busy on other things.
    • The dicussion of requesting or linking to Exported game rips (Wow models) is agaisnt the rules.
    Read the rules for more information.

The forum leaders hold the right to delete/move/edit a user's post at any time if we feel it is inappropriate or for any other reason we see fit.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2008
  2. Deathbringer

Deathbringer

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    [Read before Posting] NO GAME RIPS or exported resources

At this point I think it needs to be blatantly put forward and let it be known once and for all, that all game resources that are exported from another game (Be it Diablo, WoW, D&D, or anything else) are not allowed.

This includes skins, models, or icons. These posts get locked daily as people repeatedly ask for game rips.

The reason being is, we don't want our sections flooded with simple exports from someone else's game, they don't fit in with Warcraft 3's theme or artform, and the masses of them that start hording the resource sections hide the work of others who spend countless hours preparing things for you to use in your maps and mods.

It is entirely immoral and shouldn't even be discussed, topics will be locked on sight. Let the game's resources stay with the game the artist intended them for.

Everyone's tired of seeing them, please stop posting them.

Note: This does not prevent you from creating your own resources BASED after another game, just from directly exporting the files from that game and uploading it here (whether you ask for credit or not)

I know I'm not a moderator but after some searching I couldn't find a topic that blatantly says "Hey no game rips" and judging from the high number of posts about it lately, I think this needs to be said, with reasoning, my apologies if I'm stepping out of line.

~DB

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2008
  3. KaboomMaster

KaboomMaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    1 Question are taking Icons out of a game with like say snagit studio also against the rules if we convert them to blp with disabled and passive forms

4. Chriz.

Chriz.

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Suppose not, same rules apply as would for CnPing though.

5. Dr. House

Dr. House

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    first of all go to icon page than world of warcraft thats frome WoW to and not exported i think but what about that its just the same like the real and that is legal :S than why not export a model frome WoW export and change it a bit and say i made it (no one shall figure out if this is true or not) so stop wanking about this its already sayed alot of times so whatever

6. o0Stray0o

o0Stray0o

Resources:
    Resources:
    hmmm well, i_brg_doom I dont think you've got the point
    the Hive comunity is a resource for WarCraft III based stuff,

If you export the models from another game and use it in ure map its your decission,
    I won't complain if you do so, but for my experiance, models wich are exported from other games make them way to big, or just don't fit in the game,
    and you have to agree if you think of.. lets say the StarTrek Crew visiting MiddleEarth and shooting the good old DarkLord with their phasers... just simple doesn't look right

and to get back on the subject..
    as I said: this is a WarCraft III related comunity, so the Hive only carries models for WarCraft III, if you want to upload or download Ripped Models, than do it on another page- im sure you can find such a place somewhere in the Ethernet

7. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That is what YOU think. Try to do it, and you are banned instantly.

8. madcd

madcd

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    lol no-onewill figure you made a model based exactly on a WoW modle with a filesize only a mother could love and submit it? Try it, it'll be funny.

9. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Dude, I can smell the wow model on a mile, and you are an idiot if you think a thing like that could pass by me or other model moderators. Basically, you would get banned.

10. Akinaga

Akinaga

Resources:
    Resources:
    how about this, im going to make Mortal Kombat: Armageddon for Warcraft III, like i will try to get the models and draw them by hand (cuz i got a ps2 :D), it will only have the story from konquest like you no, Taven and Daegon and blah blah.

U wont be able to do fatalities, it'll b preety much just sort of like an RPG. but u can still switch between weapons and fighting style.

will that b allowed?

11. greasontim

greasontim

Resources:
    Resources:
    oh its 48 hours for a bump oooops sorry was told 24 hrs like most sites

12. DemonKnight199

DemonKnight199

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm not sure if i understand this correctly but if i do shouldn't there be certain models on here that aren't supposed to be?I've seen a couple things from dnd only i think they were models of warcraft edited to look diffrent?Just to name off one theres a Drider(A creature from dnd that is half drow half spider) that sort of looks like the crypt fiend only with a glaive and is more "human" looking.

13. Kuhneghetz

Kuhneghetz

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    The rules are directed at resources which are directly exported from other games than Warcraft III.

It's allowed to make your own meshes and textures from scratch or edit models from the wc3 mpq's to make them look like characters and stuffs from other franchises.
    For instance, I used the Mountain King model with a Villager Kid head, and did some edits on these to create a model that looks likes Mario from the Super Mario series.

Ripping models and creating models are NOT the same thing.

14. Grishnakah

Grishnakah

Resources:
    Resources:
    what if, say, we want exports for Personal use, rather than uploading. I would like to add some to a map (not Hive based), for me and a few friends to play over LAN. Is there any guidelines/rules/copyright/terms of use that I must follow before aquiring such models? I really promise not to upload the models, nor the maps, or even slight edits of the models to this site, or any other. All I wish for is rips for a LAN based map, personal use, not public.

15. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    If you're only playing it over LAN, why do we need to know anyway?

16. Grishnakah

Grishnakah

Resources:
    Resources:
    cos I was going to request a link.

17. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    What, you can't use Google or something?

18. Ghost765

Ghost765

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    ok dude, nothings stopping you from using rips other than your conscience/moral beliefs. rips are great imo. theyre illegal, but can be great. go to the damned russian site

19. Grishnakah

Grishnakah

Resources:
    Resources:
    russian site? btw, nice sig.
    [Edit] ok thnx, got link.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  20. thundrag

thundrag

Resources:
    Resources:
    Would Requesting old maps that were killed by patch and protected and haven't been updated in 2 years be allowwed to request a deprotect and make it work on patch?