1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

To the Bitter End

Submitted by Soul Reaver
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.

To the Bitter End
v1.0.07
Created by Soul Reaver

[​IMG]

Introduction:

For centuries, the people of the Plane of Ithia have suffered under the iron-fisted rule of the immortal sorcerer Morganem and his Council of Six. Now finally their pleas for help are answered: five legendary heroes arrive from beyond the crimson storms of the warp, seeking to topple Morganem's corrupt Empire.

But Morganem will not step silently into the darkness of history, and he prepares to fight these interlopers to the bitter end.

A story-driven, single-player action RPG, "To the Bitter End" has been over six years in the making and features an original setting and with completely original characters, abilities, items and spells.

Control a small group of legendary heroes as they travel throughout the Plane of Ithia, battling the forces of the tyrant sorcerer Morganem over eight Chapters and two cinematic-only maps.

Be prepared to react quickly to changing battlefield conditions and use your abilities strategically to counter whatever the enemy throws at you. Face a variety of challenges, from sneaking out of a prison to taking on a whole army head-on to duelling enemy immortals one on one.

During your battles, gain experience and grow in power to truly superhuman levels. Wield abilities that can break the backs of armies. But beware, for your foes are powerful and relentless enough to be a match even for your mighty heroes.

Be prepared for a challenge as you snatch victory from the jaws of defeat and conquer enemies that seemed insurmountable.

Now also available:
To the Bitter End Manual

[​IMG]
(Click the image to view, or right-click to save)

A lovingly-crafted illustrated manual, detailing not only basic gameplay instructions, but also delving into the background stories of the campaign's setting, heroes, villains, and monsters.

Prologue Cinematic

Screenshots

[​IMG]
The Sphere of Annihilation spell obliterates everything in Soul Reaver's path.

[​IMG]
A companion consumed by vampiric madness.

[​IMG]
The companions fighting side-by-side against Morganem's forces.

Readme File

To the Bitter End
Version: 1.0.07

Single Player Action RPG/Campaign

For centuries, the people of the Plane of Ithia have suffered under the iron-fisted rule of the immortal sorcerer Morganem and his Council of Six. Now finally their pleas for help are answered: five legendary heroes arrive from beyond the crimson storms of the warp, seeking to topple Morganem's corrupt Empire.

But Morganem will not step silently into the darkness of history, and he prepares to fight these interlopers to the bitter end.

Official Site:
http://www.warpstormstudios.com/tothebitterend

Installation instructions:
--------------------------

Put the .w3n file into your Warcraft III 'Campaigns' folder.

You can play the game by starting The Frozen Throne, then selecting 'Single Player', 'Custom Campaign', and then navigating to the campaign titled 'To the Bitter End' and selecting it.

It helps to have your video settings for Warcraft III set to high quality, or some custom skins in some of the campaign might look a little... weird.

Note that To the Bitter End is more hardware intensive than a standard game of Warcraft III, so your computer will need to exceed Warcraft III's minimum system requirements to run smoothly.

Difficulty:
-----------

To the Bitter End is supposed to be very difficult.

However, for those finding it simply too tough, as of version 0.7.04, I have added in variable difficulty levels, and the mechanics of this were revamped in v1.0.07. Once in-game, press Enter to bring up the chat window, then type in 'easy', 'medium' or 'hard' (without quotation marks) to change the difficulty at any time. Difficulty persists until you enter a command to change it again, even between Chapters. The default difficulty is 'hard'.

Easier difficulties will (usually) reduce the damage you take and increase the damage you inflict from all sources. In-game stats and tooltips will not reflect this change however.

Remember though: real heroes play on hard!

Music:
------

If for some crazy reason you want to turn off the in-game music for a given Chapter, type 'music off' (without quotation marks) into the chat text in-game. To turn it back on, type in 'music on'.

This special command is required because the way that 'To the Bitter End' handles the in-game music sometimes prevents Warcraft III's in-built volume control from properly affecting the music volume.

Note that even with the 'music off' command, music will still play in a few key cutscenes.

Other Notes:
------------

For further info and an extensive manual, check the 'official site' at www.warpstormstudios.com/tothebitterend

This is the full version of To the Bitter End, and contains all ten Chapters (two of which are cinematics-only):

Prologue: Shadows Rising
Chapter I: Dark Dawn
Chapter II: The Dream of Blood
Chapter III: Juggernaut
Chapter IV: Heart of Ice
Chapter V: Reunion
Chapter VI: Harbingers of War
Chapter VII: Grim Harvest
Chapter VIII: The Bitter End
Epilogue: New Beginnings

To check the version number of your campaign, type 'version' (without quotation marks) into the chat text in-game and it will display (or if nothing displays, then your version is definitely out-of-date). The newest versions are always available on the official site.

Although I am solely responsible for creating this map, several central character featured in this campaign were envisaged by the writers at The Administorum (http://theadministorum.yuku.com/) and its newest incarnation, the Administorum 2.0 (The Administorum - Index).

A word on cinematics:
---------------------

It is possible to skip any of the cinematics, just press ESC.

You are advised to watch the cinematics at least once. They will often give you instructions as to what to do next and offer clues as to what to expect. Making sense of the game plot without them would be pretty difficult.

One 'bug' that occurs if you skip the cinematics is that any items or abilities that might have 'cooled down' and become available over the course of the cinematic will now not do this. This means that if you want to use those items/abilities often, you may have to wait around more... and if there's a timer counting down while you wait, that might not be advisable. This isn't a major thing, but it does mean that the game might be slightly more difficult if you skip the cinematics.

If you want to be sure to experience the game how it was meant to be played, then don't skip the cinematics. That's how I planned the level out and how I spent the most time testing it.

Hints/Notes:
------------

Use your quest log if unsure of what to do next... that's what it's there for.

Read the tooltips if you want to know what an ability or item does. In fact, this is strongly recommended.

The Sphere of Annihilation and Cataclysm abilities are appropriately named, because they will pretty much obliterate ANYTHING in the target area. That includes things you might prefer to keep un-obliterated, such as yourself.

Your items are re-usable. However, they have long cooldown times. Save them for when you need them, and then unleash hell.

To the Bitter End is very unforgiving. SAVE OFTEN.

You can find Chapter-specific hints (should you need them) at the official site at http://www.warpstormstudios.com/tothebitterend.

Don't expect to find Raziel from the Legacy of Kain series in this game. I've been using the name Soul Reaver for my RPG alter-ego since long before even the first Blood Omen came out. The Soul Reaver in this map is an original character.

Credits:
--------

To the Bitter End designed, written and created by:
Andy Krieg

Title screen and concept art by:
Stephen Cousins

Chinese localization by:
Heishimo (He)

Russian localization by:
Кирляндия

Original Character design:

'Soul Reaver' by Andy Krieg
'Fei Serumen' by Anthony Passmore
'Cameron Aileron' by Sean Britton
'Kitharsis' by Bryon Laird
'Sera Poi' by Anthony Di Cesare
'Slayer' by Eric Rodseth
Additional characters by Andy Krieg

Music:

Title:
'Kalki (edit)' by E.S. Posthumus

Prologue:
'Pompeii' by E.S. Posthumus

Chapter I:
'The Wretched' by Nine Inch Nails

Chapter II:
'The Becoming' by Nine Inch Nails

Chapter III:
'Tikal' by E.S. Posthumus

Chapter IV:
'Nineveh' by E.S. Posthumus

Chapter V:
'Karma' by Kamelot

Chapter VI:
'We're in this Together' by Nine Inch Nails

Chapter VII:
'Welcome Within' by Godsmack
'Ultra' by KMFDM

Chapter VIII:
'Yamiiro no Yume/Anger (edit)' by Kasamutso Kouji
'Missing Time' by MDFMK
'Kalki' by E.S. Posthumus
'Ashielf Pi' by E.S. Posthumus
'Kuvera (edit)' by E.S. Posthumus

Epilogue:
'Indra/Arise (edit)' by E.S. Posthumus

Additional Concept art donated by:
Chris Oldland
Tom Hering

'Void Breach' based on 'Black Hole' model by:
WILL THE ALMIGHTY

Weapon models extracted by:
Larc

Hero Glow model by:
Assassin_lord

Damage Detection based on GUI Friendly Damage Detection v1.2 by:
Weep

Special Thanks to:
The Administorum
Blizzard Entertainment
The Hive Workshop
Filefront
Warnicro
You, for playing

Extra Special Thanks:
Ji Xu

Tell me what you think! E-mail me (meet_soul_reaver@hotmail.com) if you have comments or questions about 'To The Bitter End', the Multiverse, or Soul Reaver.

Please do not redistribute or modify these files without my permission. These files are not to be sold for profit.

Keywords:
Action, RPG, Campaign, Epic, Fantasy, Hard, To the Bitter End, TTBE, Cinematic, Story, Soul Reaver, Fei Serumen, Cameron Aileron, Kitharsis, Sera Poi,
Contents

To the Bitter End (Campaign)

Reviews
Date: 12:36:51 13-Nov-11 Map Moderator: -Kobas- Map Status: Approved 6/5 Contact map moderator: Visitor Message / Private Message! Useful Links: If you have any complaints or questions about your map, please make a thread here:Map Resource...
  1. akqpars

akqpars

Resources:
    Resources:
    I played your campaign long ago but with the latest patch i gave it a go again yesterday.

I wish we had the opportunity to see another project based on the antagonists to comprehend us their inner relations and feel the story beforehand. The project has an esoteric aura that is imprinted in my hearth.

Best wishes for you.

2. Wummy

Wummy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This is ONE HELL OF A WELL CREATED MAP! The storyline is fascinating, and the cinematics are truly well made. This is one map that no, absolutely NO Warcraft 3 players should miss out on. Thank you very much for creating such an awesome map for us to play!

3. TheDreadlord

TheDreadlord

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well well, what do we have here ?...
    A real masterpiece !I've played several other custom campaigns but having enough experience in WcIII mapping and programming, i was often disappointed after playing them, especially because of lack of imagination and gameplay which includes creative and various spells, abilities, items and so on.
    So in your campaign i found all i've been seeking for a long time,loved the spells and abilities, items, awsome cinematics, well tought storyline, good discussions...
    Though, the only negative side that i maybe reproach is that the difficulty is a bit exagerated in some, if not most chapters, and it becomes sometimes discouraging to continue but after a pause it passes and i pursued the game.
    In the whole, I really really reaaaaaally have enjoyed your maps and it's been a great gaming experience so thank you for making such entertainment by putting great efforts on it. Here's a 5 stars for your project ;)

4. DarkOscuridad

DarkOscuridad

Resources:
    Resources:
    You're amazing! To the Bitter End is the first best campaign of Warcraft I played

5. Eagle XI

Eagle XI

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Exactly! I cant count you how many times i had to load, different curses ive thrown in several tongues, the time being a bitch flowing away like crazy and believe me ive been overly confident with that after all these cakewalk difficulty today's RPG's. Ive found your campaign and it effected on me like medicine when ive finished in the end i felt that "Ive finished this game,hellyeah!" haze again after such a long time. I mean was so good to feel that again, THANK YOU !

I especially appreciated the usage of unique evil characters,each of them are badass. It was amazing to play something different than the 2 out of 3 times 'Tank(preferrably Paladin),Wizard,Ranger-dps an healing dude(optional) and some other not so necessary dudes' type of group. Main characters nuke skill,Ranger's arrow barrage skill and Psychic Onslaught is awesome. Every character has its functions. That you have not used the popular nowadays 'staple pots/grind some gears and were good to go' type of gameplay was also much appreciated. Its obvious your an veteran Rpg'er by alone how strongly the entire construction is holding together,thanks again for creating this campaign.

Btw: Musics are all classy
    Btw2: The act where you have to "line defense" (the one with the kingdom defense) has the potential to become a sucessfull D-day style map on its own.

6. Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks akqpars, Wummy, TheDreadlord, DarkOscuridad and Eagle XI for all your great comments. I find it deeply rewarding to hear that you all enjoyed the Campaign.

7. Warhawx

Warhawx

Resources:
    Resources:
    help i dont know if this is the right place to post this but, in to the bitter end and a lot of different custom campaigns the loading screen where you choose the chapter loads but once i select a chapter the screen just goes black and nothing loads, i cant find help for it anywhere!!!!

Im really excited to play it, someoen help lol

8. Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I think this I already answered this same query for poster warcraft321 above, but here it is again:

What you're describing is usually what happens when someone tries to run TTBE without having the latest patch for Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne installed.

You can get the latest patch at: http://us.battle.net/support/en/arti...atch-downloads

Try installing that, then try running To the Bitter End again. If you still have issues, feel free to email or PM me.

9. suiseseki

suiseseki

Resources:
    Resources:
    The best campaign i have ever played. The story is so epic. I feel like this can be made into an actual RPG.
    just one little suggestion... i care more about the look of the game, so i kinda expect diverse loading screens. I really really love the cover picture, so maybe some additional pictures can replace the same red vortex for every stage.
    5/5

10. Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks suiseseki, I'm really happy you enjoyed it.

Your suggestion is fair enough, and personally I'd love to see Chapter-appropriate art before each Chapter, but I'm afraid it's something I can't really do. Although I did pretty much everything else in To the Bitter End, an artist called Stephen Cousins donated a lot of his time and effort to make the title screen art for me.

I don't think it's fair of me to ask Stephen Cousins to produce art for each of the Chapter transitions for free (since he's certainly talented enough to work for pay), and as I make no money off To the Bitter End, I've made it my policy not to spend money on it either.

As for my own art skills... well, I don't think they're up to the standard required to do the Chapter transitions justice.

That said, if an artist with the right sort of art style volunteered to do this for me, I would accept in a heartbeat.

11. map designer

map designer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The best and The Worst

I do not want to disappoint you. If you can bear criticism, you may read this post.

The best thing in this campaign: the prologue is so fantastic, especially with the Music. The music in all the game is fascinating and perfectly fits: it is much better than Blizzards', with respect.
    A'a
    ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO READ THIS?!!!!!!! YOU MUST BE TOLERANT AND JUST ACCEPT OTHER'S OPINION

The worst point : the campaign is hard, too hard to play. could you not make it a little easier and finishable. I did not not finish it without using "Whosyourdaddy" code. I wanted to play it for fun, not to stress myself with you-cannot-win-this game.

12. Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I understand your comment, and I'm not insulted or disappointed by it. To the Bitter End was never supposed to be a game for a quick, casual, relaxing play. It's designed to be gruelling and difficult, and that's actually one of its 'features'. If you're not looking for a tough game, then I don't recommend playing To the Bitter End.

There was actually an interesting discussion about how the challenge makes victory more rewarding - see Eagle XI's comment a page back to see what I mean.

That said, the game really can be completed without cheating, and a number of people have done so (one person finished Chapters I-VII without even saving, though I certainly don't recommend trying that. :p). The learning curve is steep, but with some experience, trial and error, and fast thinking, it becomes possible to get through most parts of the game consistently without ever having to reload a save.

Incidentally, you can reduce the difficulty too if you like - just type in "easy" in the in-game chat, and enemies will have reduced HP in the current Chapter. The reduction isn't huge, and the game will still be hard, but it'll slant things a bit more in your favour.

13. Sotnikoff

Sotnikoff

Resources:
    Resources:
    Good map. 92/100

14. xulufriedrice

xulufriedrice

Resources:
    Resources:
    This campaign is amazing. Will there be a possibility of seeing a multiplayer version of this?

15. map designer

map designer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    further suggestions

What did you say?

any way, the music and story line is very good: it makes it worth it.
    Here are some suggestions:

1- You should change many hotkeys so that they be near each other. It is hard to click the "w" then "i": they are way too far. I would prefer that be near the left hand. You may want to consider making for both right and left handed people but I think it is hard to use the tab(to switch between the heroes selected) and the right-hand hotkeys.

2-I want you to change fix the ability of Soul Reaver. his animation appears to be too slow to me. He cannot cast it then run, especially in the first levels: he is casting the spell just as long as they are stunned. Also, spell interruption appears buggy to me. Sometimes I interrupt his animation and thus he wont stun; but if I interrupted a little later(0.n seconds) , I will have the stun( the full stun I think). I bet you should experimient to figure out what I say.

16. Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:

That first quote is from Wummy (not me). While I'm glad Wummy enjoyed To the Bitter End enough to recommend it so highly, I nonetheless doubt that ANY game can please everyone. People who only enjoy multiplayer will get little mileage out of TTBE, since it's single-player only. Simiarly, people who don't enjoy difficult games will likely not enjoy TTBE all that much, because it is very hard.

Thanks for the feedback and recommendations.

1) I've actually been planning a change to the hotkeys already (and pretty much to what you suggested). However, TTBE version 1.02 will also include quite a bit of 'cleaning up' in the triggers, which is quite tedious/time consuming. In addition, I'm taking a break from TTBE to catch up on my gaming, so I'm only occasionally taking time to work on it. So it might be a little while before version 1.02 is finished. Once it is though, the hotkeys will likely have been rearranged.

2) I assume you mean Soul Reaver's Darkbolt Barrage ability? Unfortunately how much this can be 'fixed' is limited. Darkbolt Barrage is based on the ability Cluster Rockets, and Cluster Rockets has a sort of casting delay hardcoded in (see below). Cluster Rockets in general is an odd ability with a lot of strange quirks.

The way Darkbolt Barrage/Cluster Rockets works is that it delivers a number of 'shots', seperated by a certain time period (these shots are not tied to the number of visual projectiles it fires). From memory, Darkbolt Barrage fires a total of 4 shots, with one shot hitting every 0.25 seconds. The caster has to be standing still while the shots are fired. If you move before one of the 'shots' impacts on the target, then that shot (and any following it) is cancelled and won't hit (which is why the ability does nothing at all if you move away immediately). It takes only one 'hit' to initiate the ability's stun effect, but to cause full damage, you need to stay still until all shots have hit their target. Thus, while you can move away after only 0.25 seconds and still get the stun effect, you'll only be inflicting 25% of the total damage.

While I could change the way the ability works (do deliver one full damage hit at just 0.25 second, say) I don't necessarily see the delays as a failing though - it's just part of the balance, and Soul Reaver's inability to move while casting Darkbolt Barrage is part of the cost of casting it. You can choose to stay where you are and do full damage, or move away early to inflict the stun but only partial damage - it's the player's choice. But pretty much all abilities are largely useless at low levels, so its lack of utility at low levels isn't really surprising. It's definitely a lot better at Level 10.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  17. Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Sorry, didn't see this comment before!

I'm very glad to hear you enjoyed the campaign. Unfortunately though, I don't have any plans to make TTBE multiplayer. For one thing, it would be a massive amount of work. But more to the point, it's not really designed or balanced as a multiplayer game either. In most battles, the amount of coordination required between the heroes is very high, which would make the game extremely difficult to win with multiple players controlling them.

Lastly, the maps are simply too large (in terms of filesize) to be supported in multiplayer - the only way to make them work in multiplayer would be to excise some of the content (such as some of the music, possibly even some of the other custom content) and I'm not keen to do that.

18. DerekX

DerekX

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I have to agree with the awesome soundtrack. I searched for "Welcome Within" by Godsmack, but I couldn't find where to download that song. Unless there was a misprint. I prefer to use "legalsounds" because I can buy single songs for less than a dime each.

19. Soul Reaver

Soul Reaver

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    "Welcome Within" is the menu music for "Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within" (and the music for that game, for better or worse, is composed by Godsmack). See http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/title/74416/Prince+Of+Persia:+Warrior+Within for a link that includes a song list for the "Warrior Within" soundtrack, but I'm not sure if it's available via 'legalsounds'

You can find an extended version of "Welcome Within" on youtube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7tr4hVY7Ig

20. map designer

map designer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Almost correct assumption. I mean that ability particularly, but I also mean all your (you are the Soul Reaver, haha) spell animations, a bit slow they are.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012