• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

To the Bitter End, Chapters I and II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Aaah, finally. I uploaded these maps a while ago, but it wasn't until tonight, after a big update, that I feel they're really 'done'. I put quite a bit of effort into making these. It's been keeping me from actual work too, which is pretty bad, but hey...

Anyway, I would be most pleased if people would take a look my two maps - they're the first two of the campaign - and let me know what you think. They're RPG maps, and single player only.

I would really appreciate some good feedback... if the maps are good, or bad, and what can be done to improve them.

The links to the maps are here:

To the Bitter End, Chapter I: Dark Dawn
http://www.wc3sear.ch/?p=Maps&ID=5678

To the Bitter End, Chapter II: The Dream of Blood
http://www.wc3sear.ch/?p=Maps&ID=5680

Please read the .txt file included in the archive... it has some important information about the maps in it, including a known bugs section and a hints section.

Also, the maps are rather big. I've noticed that the server can be a bit unreliable when downloading a big file, so make sure that you get the whole archive if you try to download it.

I'd be very happy to hear some comments from you guys!

Level 14
Thanks for the praise. Hopefully I'll soon get time to work on Chapter III some more. It's encouraging to hear some positive comments, and helps motivate me to work on this again.

Anyone else with specific comments? Things that could have been done better? Or that seem just right? Storyline? Balance? Difficulty? Skins? I'd be glad to hear some other opinions too!

Level 3
:? No wait if you want any ideas\suggestions to improve the campaign i have someone.Instead of making your campaign in chapters,you can connect all the maps in the cache of the game,doing so the campaign will look like the Rexxar's campaign,or the HeroRpg.In other words I suggest that the heroes can come back in the previous maps to see the changes of the story.I am good in making campaigns like this,and if you want I can help you.Believe me the game will be more challenging and equal to a true Rpg. Sorry for my English....a little imperfect :lol:

Level 14
Hehe, already ahead of you EvilArthas.

Chapter 1 and 2 ARE linked by the game cache already. You'll notice that if you finish Dark Dawn first, then at the start of The Dream of Blood, your character from Dark Dawn will have transferred into it. Similarly, the end of Chapter 2 will save your heroes so that they will transfer into Chapter 3 - once I finish Chapter 3, anyway.

Due to the ways in which the Multiverse works though, it's unlikely that you'll meet most of the characters from previous maps again much later - the storyline requires that the characters use Warp Gates to travel to different worlds, but only immortals and powerful creatures have the ability to open these and survive the subsequent trip through the Warp... so other than the main heroes and villains (and the lackeys they take with them), most creatures wouldn't have the ability to follow the heroes to the different worlds. If you don't fully understand that, don't worry about it - the background story for the Multiverse is pretty convoluted.

As for the reason why the next map in the series doesn't start automatically (yet)... well, it's because I haven't bothered making a campaign file for just the first two maps. But I will consider doing that if I get them all finished.

However, I'm not sure about one thing: if I create a campaign file, would it save ALL the maps into a single .w3n file? If that were the case, the campaign file would be massive, probably weighing in at around a ridiculous 60 Mb (I'm planning a total of perhaps 8 chapters, plus prologue and epilogue cinematic maps). It might be better to keep the individual maps separate (as they are now) simply for ease of download purposes.

Keep the replies coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.