• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

TKoK 3.0.4 has exited Beta! (Finally!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/tkok-eastern-kingdom-3-0-4-a-146077/

Thanks to the hard work of everybody on the team (and especially curi and RaiN` for fixing lots of little bugs and annoyances in the code while I was on vacation the past 2 weeks), TKoK 3.0.4 - The Secrets of the Barrens is finally out of beta

I can also say this with some confidence this time: The map is very stable and for the most part, free of major bugs. The testing team has played from level one, and cleared everything with no major things to report, a good omen, finally.

Next up is patch 3.1.0: The Rise and Fall of the Emperors
This new content will feature 6 bosses, many mini bosses, and 2 full zones of content to clear + a continuing unique quest line and mini events.

Level 11
Oh yeah.... forgot to mention that.

I'll get some screenies and vids of him in action.

Caster, Healer, Tank, Phys DPS - jack of all, maser of none

Level 2
The way the druid will work for gearing and shapeshifting is he has special bonuses for each from from his Improved Shapeshifting talent, and he has another talent called Nature's Diversity that makes him into a hybrid like CK or SB. He starts off not a hybrid at all (e.g. wolf and bear form only use AP, no SP), but if you get the talent you'll be a hybrid who can use all 4 forms well regardless of whether you have AP or SP gear.

Also the druid will have 4 active spells for each form (which share talents, like if you talent Q spell you get it in all forms), and 1 passive or aura for each form (those are separate 1-point talents), plus his 6th spell slot will be for shape shifting.

Level 1
finally, awesome job!!!
the amount of work you guys put into this map is incredible and the result is superb

really looking forward to new content :D

Level 1
this is really a great map

but i could need some more ppl playing it

check its garena room out, there are always some ppl up for a game

Level 13
The map is 7MBs its too big for multi-player so you may want to remove the thing saying the suggested players being 3+

Level 13
ok than.... guess I was wrong just checked the DotA that a friend hosted the other day so I could try stuff out on it. It is like 7.5MB. Well Guess I have like 5.5MBs left for my map than sweet. Well hope this map turns out well. I'll DL it and try it out in the morning.

Level 7
Great work, probably took a lot of time to finally get out of beta. Its a heavy project.

I've been around since tkok probably started. However, I never really liked tkok.
And that comes to my criticisms...

My Criticisms:
  • Stats seemed ridiculous why 8 or 9 stats when they are only modifying like 6-7 different things?
  • The inventory system added huge clunk to the save code as items vary only slightly to add some different bonus.
  • The skill tree is ridiculous mostly because saving it is just retarded to prevent re-spec since the code size increment is huge. And most people would probably re-spec the same way they were before because only specing certain ways is really worthwhile for some heroes.
  • Some people don't actually get how to pick skills from the skill tree at all either and end up just wondering how to pick skills for like 10 mins and think that heroes just have no skills or are unfinished.
  • And the skills are somewhat blandish mostly just regular wc3 skills that have added effects after you add to the tree. If your going to spend all this time in making fancy terrain, skill trees, icons, inventories, quests (like talking to npcs), etc then why not spend some time making some of the spells actually look more visually appealing?
  • Dying really early it has the slowest progression of any rpg i've ever played as well.
  • At level 10 you can still die from gnolls out of the first town very easily.
  • There seems to be an really ridiculous amount of equipment for the inventory systems. 12 to 14 items is crazy and make the items really have to be rather minimal in bonuses. It seems to me that it would make more sense to limit the equipment and have better items. Again thus adding to the ever-growing save-code.
  • Just in general the save codes are so long that i can't understand how anyone would want to play anymore.

But alas, these are just my criticisms, and i'm not flaming or trolling the map in anyway. Just it seems that in providing cool flashy upgrades the game lost track of it's main conceptual ideas in an effort to please the eye rather than please the player. And i am posting this only cause i think it's good for a map to accept at least some criticism from time to time.

And literally i played it today. It took me pretty much forever to load a lvl 10 character. While i hear the noobs cry omg the inventory looks awesome. But for them it won't be much later to hit save and load in the next game where they will realize probably the save code kinda makes the inventory, or skill tree not worth it.

I did like a few things though and i'm definitely not saying tkok's a complete waste of time. Several things always struck me as actually cool like the talking to npcs with an item menu to accept quests or get rewards, waypoints, some bosses were alright, and some of the way that items are handled like elixirs, etc.

Last edited:
Level 8
Great work, probably took a lot of time to finally get out of beta. Its a heavy project.

I've been around since tkok probably started. However, I never really liked tkok.
And that comes to my criticisms...

My Criticisms:
  • Stats seemed ridiculous why 8 or 9 stats when they are only modifying like 6-7 different things?
  • The inventory system added huge clunk to the save code as items vary only slightly to add some different bonus.
  • The skill tree is ridiculous mostly because saving it is just retarded to prevent re-spec since the code size increment is huge. And most people would probably re-spec the same way they were before because only specing certain ways is really worthwhile for some heroes.
  • Some people don't actually get how to pick skills from the skill tree at all either and end up just wondering how to pick skills for like 10 mins and think that heroes just have no skills or are unfinished.
  • And the skills are somewhat blandish mostly just regular wc3 skills that have added effects after you add to the tree. If your going to spend all this time in making fancy terrain, skill trees, icons, inventories, quests (like talking to npcs), etc then why not spend some time making some of the spells actually look more visually appealing?
  • Dying really early it has the slowest progression of any rpg i've ever played as well.
  • At level 10 you can still die from gnolls out of the first town very easily.
  • There seems to be an really ridiculous amount of equipment for the inventory systems. 12 to 14 items is crazy and make the items really have to be rather minimal in bonuses. It seems to me that it would make more sense to limit the equipment and have better items. Again thus adding to the ever-growing save-code.
  • Just in general the save codes are so long that i can't understand how anyone would want to play anymore.

But alas, these are just my criticisms, and i'm not flaming or trolling the map in anyway. Just it seems that in providing cool flashy upgrades the game lost track of it's main conceptual ideas in an effort to please the eye rather than please the player. And i am posting this only cause i think it's good for a map to accept at least some criticism from time to time.

And literally i played it today. It took me pretty much forever to load a lvl 10 character. While i hear the noobs cry omg the inventory looks awesome. But for them it won't be much later to hit save and load in the next game where they will realize probably the save code kinda makes the inventory, or skill tree not worth it.

I did like a few things though and i'm definitely not saying tkok's a complete waste of time. Several things always struck me as actually cool like the talking to npcs with an item menu to accept quests or get rewards, waypoints, some bosses were alright, and some of the way that items are handled like elixirs, etc.

So, basicly you want TBR3.0 but bugless. We have a unique map like it is right now. And that we want to keep. No need for the same old RPGs thats been on bnet from dawn of time.

Level 19
I find TKoK a pretty good RPG (Almost the best out there) though, and well, mostly it's meant for people who are really good at RPG games and are a little of the RPG 'Hardcore' side, which gives it the unique value, especially when creeps are harder to kill, this is probably what gives TKoK it's awesome-ness.

Level 2
> The inventory system added huge clunk to the save code as items vary only slightly to add some different bonus.

The low level items don't vary a lot but the high level items do. Storing 10 extra items was a feature a lot of players asked for because of all the gear variety (it's from boss drops not gnolls). My characters have run out of space to save gear and started throwing away useful items.

For the save codes, get game capture or learn to touch type :)

Level 2
The next version of TKoK is making good progress! The druid is mostly coded and there are 4 new minibosses created.

Level 2
you join the same game, you're a party!

you're not intended to have separate parties within one game.

what did you want it to do?

Level 8
This won't make any sense whatsoever. We design the map to be played as a dungeon group with the more player you can find. Doing quests that are limited to how many people can complete them is counterproducitve. Not to mention that current quests are already balanced so you need your full group in the game to complete them, which essentially makes them party quests.

Level 2
In general bosses are harder than quests. It's hard to think of a good way to make a quest really hard besides including a boss in it... There is the trials quest with the fire traps which can be hard and is a good change of pace. Anyone have suggestions for more cool quests to add variety?

Level 2
There's a possibility that such quests will be added in the future, but for now, I think it's most important to focus on more content.

Level 11
the druid will be done this patch, which is why we are looking into more epic quests than just kill tasks or item collections

Level 19
I like the changes, especially the timer fix.

My main grief with this game is the difficulty on single player, which really isn't too much of an issue for me because I do typically play with 3-4 players when possible, but boss hp (especially the first boss) should be nerfed in single player so you don't have to constantly grind and level up to about 6 or 7 before you can take him out and proceed with the real adventuring.

Level 2
TkoK is and never was meant for single-player, the only reason that it's possible to play single-player is because it was requested a lot from players who wanted to just simply try the map out. A lot of the boss mechanics would also make single-player impossible.

Level 19
Will there be some 'Expansion' Map like there is in some RPGs? Like, if the first map isn't big enough, continuing it off another map with a different setting would be good.

Level 2
There was plans for adding another map continuing the story after the Eastern Kingdom, but the plans for that is uncertain, because of Crimson Creations wanting to move on to SC2 (they just want to finish TKoK first).

The second map was supposed to be called Mountain Pass and would be some kind of "raid"-dungeon (which means a lot of bosses and mobs, and few quests). Mountain Pass is what connects The Eastern Kingdom with the Central Kingdom, which was supposed to be the last map (if they ever came that far).

Level 19
Hmm... There would be still many who prefer to stay in Warcraft III though, so continuing it would sound great, since it's already halfway done:)

Level 2
the plan is to finish tkok eastern kingdom (all the way up to the max level of 60, btw) but probably not start a second war3 map unless it gets way more popular.

when the next big patch/area comes out with 6 new bosses up to the twins, the max level will go up from currently around 34 to approximately 40 if i recall correctly. then the next whole section of stuff around nebu will get you up to around 46 i think. we're not stopping half way, stuff is planned! and you'll be like 3/4 of the way to max level in 2 more big patches.

Level 2
vex chose 60 at the start of tkok version 3. the talent trees are designed for level 60 max so i doubt it will change.

Level 19
Hmm... Any chance TKoK could continue for Warcraft III even if they do start a Starcraft II version? Many of my Warcraft III friends are fans of the game and they're really hoping to play more:)

Level 8
RPG? Eastern Kingdom? Level cap at 60? Skill tree? Sounds familiar...

Just kidding. I've played The Kingdom of Kaliron several times with my friends. While the difficulty sometimes gets to you, I find it a very well thought out map. In fact, I'd go so far as to call it one of the greatest maps I've ever played on WarCraft III.

Gwy

Gwy

Level 4
I never would ask for more more then this one map finished. If map will be finished, I am totally satisfied. The map will contain weeks of entertainment and fine game quality.
The amount of unpayed work what you spend in this map is really huge. TY for all what this team has done!

Level 2
Oh relax, it will be finished! That's their goal, and I doubt that would go away from that :)

Also, there will be regular updates coming now that the major bugs are out, so look forward to more content soon ^^

Level 2
might be a better idea to learn the sc2 editor instead of the war3 one at this point. it's way better and has lots of years of map making ahead of it...

Status
Not open for further replies.