• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

The State of Things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Remember the old addage, "Quality over Quantity".

An arcade would just hurt the Hive, members would just join because they want to play the games we would have in the arcade, not because they have an interest in warcraft 3 modding.

The Hive is doing quite well, we don't need more activity, you average around 1000 posts a day, that's amazing, compared to some forums, which have a much larger group that are interested in their topic.

Overall, the Hive is doing quite well, you just need to weed out the problems, such as the backed up resource section, inadept mods and other small things. stop saying the Hive is dying, it's not! It may not be as active as it was last year, but that's simply because warcraft 3 modding is slowly dying, and the pending release of Starcraft 2 has only been a catalyst in the decline of warcraft 3 modding. Just stay with the Hive until it's gone, because it will eventually die. Just enjoy the time while it's here, and don't become mentally or emotionally attached to this place, so that when it's gone, you don't become emo or something, lol.

~Deathcom3s

Level 35
There will be no arcade.

And just to reveal some of my foresight...

The HIVE will not die when wc3 modding dies. The HIVE is adaptable enough, that it will probably switch to sc2 modding when it comes out. And the wc3 stuff will probably be archived, and the users who have great experience with wc3 modding will probably switch as well.

Sc2 will need mod sites, and this one will be there at the beginning to take up the mantle.

Just some foresight...

This is one reason that we need quality over noobery. If we are filled with noobs and no quality, then we will choke ourselves to death on the fumes of our own shit covered material.

Level 17
Actually, there are certain sites that are ALREADY getting themselves a head start on Sc2 modding. Lots of them too, they all have dedicated servers and download sections and etc. So the hive will have some competition on its hands.

Personally, when SC2 comes out, I dont think the hive will be sitting on the SC2 modding throne as it is with wc3. I just dont. Sorry.

Level 24
Well, I'm going to discus the original topic. Sorry, if I bring up ideas again but 21 pages is a lot to read in one go.

Really, things aren't that bad. Mostly everything functions properly and healthily.

As earlier discussed leniency to older/moderator users is a problem. The only real way to ensure that this doesn't happen is to have harsher/more impartial admins/super moderators who aren't afraid to take action.

Still, overall the site functions well.

Level 17
Oh I see, so if i'm good at modding warcraft I should be able to mod Half Life 2 with the same exact skill.

Not true at all. Your logic fails.

My point was that I dont understand why Revellion thinks this site will be the best at SC2 or AS GOOD with Sc2 as it was with Wc3. Why? Just because it succeeded at Wc3? That proves nothing

(I'm not insulting the site in anyway, I really like this site. Just saying)

Level 17
Obviously, you've never came up with an awesome idea.
Yes, I have actually. Everyone has awesome ideas. Its all a matter of opinion.
Unless you are a moron, you'll learn the techniques easily but to win the crowd, you'll have to come up with something original and simply... Awesome.
Just to be clear here, moron wasnt directed towards you.

Dude, go look at the map development section or even better go look at the ideas factory. There are hundreds of people with kickass ideas. But they do not have the skill to implement it.

If technique and skill at modding was so easily gained, then all of these awesome ideas of greatness that are whoally original would have been implemented.. Right?

Wrong, because not everyone has enough skill and experience. Key word, experience. That does not come easily, it is a part of skill which is gained through experience. And skill is similar to technique.

Therefore, technique is not gained easily.

Level 15
I hope Wc4 will be announced soon, but it's not likely. Look at how long it took them to even start working on Sc2. And the Hive will probably not be the best Sc2 modding site. But then again, none of us know what the future holds. We'll know the fate of the Hive when the time comes.

But hell, Sc2 isn't expected to be released until at least next year, why don't we just enjoy Wc3 modding until it's gone?

~Deathcom3s

Level 35
Considering that a good majority of those who mod wc3 are looking at sc2, it seems to me that much of the wc3 modding base will indeed switch to sc2, and in turn, a demand for sc2 productions, like models, skins, and spells, will be on a rapid rise.

Sites like the HIVE, with already functioning resource systems and moderators, are already equipped to take on these productions that will inevitably be made, much of it, by already experienced modelers in the wc3 fields.

Sc2 wont change anything in the majoritus.

What will change will essentially be this:

-New sections and forums will be made on the HIVE (most likely).

-Old weeds will drop, as well as those who cannot adapt to a new system.

-New users will enter to fill their place.

-Experienced modders on the HIVE (who do not quit for real life) will switch their focus from warcraft to starcraft.

-New modders will learn alongside the experienced modders, as they tackle the fresh world of sc2's editor and hopefully a sc2 blizzard art tools.

-And if sc2 is at all as successful as wc3, then four years from now the next generation of HIVE dwellers will be making a thread just like this one, complaining about how sc2 is filled with NZROTA (naruto zerg rush orange the ancients) has taken over battle.net, and how the up and coming "X-blizzard game" is going to kill the HIVE and all modders in it.

Level 17
We have Elenai (and Wulf, Pyritie, GF and of course, me) and all of his epic glory. We were on the throne before it was even built.
If you think those you named deserve a seat at the throne of wc3 modders, then you FAIL. I don't give a damn about it coming down to a matter of opinion, it's still WRONG.

I hope Wc4 will be announced soon, but it's not likely. Look at how long it took them to even start working on Sc2. And the Hive will probably not be the best Sc2 modding site. But then again, none of us know what the future holds. We'll know the fate of the Hive when the time comes.

But hell, Sc2 isn't expected to be released until at least next year, why don't we just enjoy Wc3 modding until it's gone?

~Deathcom3s
Starcraft 2 started development in 2003, it wasn't that long.

Level 7
Dude, go look at the map development section or even better go look at the ideas factory. There are hundreds of people with kickass ideas. But they do not have the skill to implement it.

Not really. I think it's more that the people who post idea's don't have the passion to finish them. They were probably just a passing thought after one game and they wanted to see what other people thought about em'.

As far as map making goes, "not having the skill to implement" ideas is silly to me. Map-making is easy, even with no training, if you are not using JASS. If you know JASS, all the better. It's just sometimes games don't turn out as they did in people's heads, and they give up on them.

I think "not having the skill to implement" more applies to models/skins/icons/jass and other such stuff.

Level 24
No, not really. Your average B-Net player or even THW user (all the nubs with 0 posts) have the average intelligence slightly below that of a turnip.

Many people, just play the maps.

Still, the cadre of quality map makers is very skilled. If one of the "turnips" wants to seriously become better, he should be able to easily.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
(...)
Sites like the HIVE, with already functioning resource systems and moderators, are already equipped to take on these productions that will inevitably be made, much of it, by already experienced modelers in the wc3 fields.
(...)
I'm not sure. New forums will be made, I'm 99% sure, but we know how long Ralle took to finish the resource sections, not to mention he still has to finish the Spells section. And the goddamned rating systems can still be abused.
So, as soon as Starcraft II comes out, I doubt Ralle will have the patience to go make a section for every crap that comes with it. I myself would be annoyed with it, I guess. This is where we lack people with the capability of helping Ralle in the scripting/technical part.

I believe Blizzard mentioned that they were working on something else besides Diablo III, god's willing it'll be Warcraft 4.
One thing is sure: the majority of the Warcraft III players will disband from the game in mass once Starcraft II comes out.

Last edited:
Level 27
I don't see why people are convinced that SC2 will change everything.
It will for me. I'll start doing stuff again. I might even enter a few contests when we start on SCII. I'll be way more active. Seriously, JASS sucks.
Exactly. Having a working site and active members puts us ahead already.
May I ask if anything has been changed?
I haven't had enough time to read the thread nor check THW.
Yes.

Level 15
It will for me. I'll start doing stuff again. I might even enter a few contests when we start on SCII. I'll be way more active. Seriously, JASS sucks.

Isn't SC2 supposed to use C++? That certainly gives us more breathing room in regard to what will be possible in SC2. And I already have some knowledge of C++, less time learning the basics for me.

Not to get off the topic, but aren't we getting pretty off topic?

~Deathcom3s

Status
Not open for further replies.