• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Grammar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Are you aware that some of your forum descriptions are grammatically or stylistically incorrect? Here's an example: "Post your request here, however we cannot guarantee that your request may be answered." The comma in this example should be a semi-colon. The "may be" should be "will be."

Are you aware that some of your forum descriptions are grammatically or stylistically incorrect? Here's an example: "Post your request here, however we cannot guarantee that your request may be answered." The comma in this example should be a semi-colon. The "may be" should be "will be."

You might want to contact Ralle directly if you have something to say.

Why should he?

It's just as well we're all aware of it.

Grammar Nazism for the win.
(No insults intended.)

Well,
Long time I though that doing bad on bad things makes it a good thing.
This is incorrect.
As a community I think we should promote the well being of the site. If we laugh about how bad everything is and tell everyone who makes mistakes to back the fuck up, the community will be the fooled one.
I stopped doing this.

Level 36
And I am in no way inclining that's the case or that it should be.

I'm merely stating that the "Site Discussion" section is here for a reason, to discuss matters of the site, which this is pretty much 100%. That, and the more people that know of a certain "problem" the higher the chance it will be addressed.

As priory stated, no insults intended.

Using an abbreviation to praise Grammar Nazism is paramount to burning a church because you saw a priest accidentally set fire to a cross.
I'd quote Hank Moody (of all) on disapproval of acronyms and abbreviations, but I couldn't find it. Suffice to say, such words are an abomination to an otherwise beautiful language.
- Abbreviation and abomination are surprisingly similar words, food for thought.

Well,
Long time I though that doing bad on bad things makes it a good thing.
This is incorrect.
As a community I think we should promote the well being of the site. If we laugh about how bad everything is and tell everyone who makes mistakes to back the fuck up, the community will be the fooled one.
I stopped doing this.
Why? >'(
This is so much fun!

Also, this is my thread.

Level 14
Using an abbreviation to praise Grammar Nazism is paramount to burning a church because you saw a priest accidentally set fire to a cross.
I'd quote Hank Moody (of all) on disapproval of acronyms and abbreviations, but I couldn't find it. Suffice to say, such words are an abomination to an otherwise beautiful language.
- Abbreviation and abomination are surprisingly similar words, food for thought.

I apologise, Master.
I won't repeat such actions again.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Remember brosephs, "I'm", "I'd", "you're" and "don't" are also abbreviations. Also even though ftw is nails to a chalkboard to me, like people using the interjection fail, Shakespeare and Chaucer didn't get to where they're at by sticking to standardized grammatical constructs or taxonomy.

That said, if you're just being sloppy or you're impairing communication by being an uneducated dickwad (oh shit I urbanized (and made up a fake verb)), you and I are going to have a problem.

...what were we talking about?

Level 36
Remember brosephs, "I'm", "I'd", "you're" and "don't" are also abbreviations. Also even though ftw is nails to a chalkboard to me, like people using the interjection fail, Shakespeare and Chaucer didn't get to where they're at by sticking to standardized grammatical constructs or taxonomy.

That said, if you're just being sloppy or you're impairing communication by being an uneducated dickwad (oh shit I urbanized (and made up a fake verb)), you and I are going to have a problem.

...what were we talking about?

Go peck at seeds, mother hen.

I did by no means imply my "don't"'s and "you're"'s not to be abbreviations, though whereas "...such words..." might be construed to mean a collective gathering of all abbreviations, I convey no such falsehood.

Some abbreviations serve to make language flow better, fidelity flowing for function, if you may. While others simply serve to degrade our language, per my point of view.

That said, if you're just being sloppy or implying my being an uneducated dickwad, you and I are going to have to break bred, over a knuckle-fight tournament to the sound of bird drops and rain shit, fencing prejudice on the periphery of bias...

...we were talking about mothers.

I apologise, Master.
I won't repeat such actions again.

Don't apologize.

I am sorry for trying to make this a better place :(

DON'T

Sure we've strayed, but the topic is still pretty much grammar, in a manner of writing.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
That said, if you're just being sloppy or implying my being an uneducated dickwad, you and I are going to have to break bred, over a knuckle-fight tournament to the sound of bird drops and rain shit, fencing prejudice on the periphery of bias...
The part of my post beyond the abbreviations gag was just bits and thoughts about language and grammar in general, not implied jeers at you. ;)

Level 6
Abbreviation makes the word easy to understand and memorize just like our teacher says..

But if you abbreviate What the Fuck. Fuck or other bad words to hide their meanings to the Idiot Ones.. then Fuck You..

Ok back to the topic..

Maybe has a 50/50 and Will is 100%..

Its not that the site itself is slightly incorrect in rare cases, It's how 75% of people here have little idea what grammar, spelling, and proper word usage are.
You don't need to fully learn english, but at least put the effort in and try to make it not require decryption.

Translation to eNGLerSH (The horribly deformed language that is used by about 20% of the people here. Worse than normal bad english.)

it's not the site is almost incorect in some case's it's how 75% of the people dont now what grammer spelling and using word's are.You dont want to finally learn english,but at least put effort in to try make it not require uncodeing.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Since a thread's up for it, the terrain board description is a bit off.

Terrain Board Need some help with making a terrain? Got an terrain screenshot that you would like to showcase? This is the place for you.

Bit abundant; one is enough ("help making" or "help with")
Wrong article

Level 16
I am sorry for trying to make this a better place :(

Why can't you guys be like Frankster?

I don't understand why you guys have to correct a person so harshly when it comes to grammar. I mean, if you guys are so good at speaking in English, then why not just tell the person discreetly? Write a FREAKING bodacious paragraph if you have to, impress them with your "English Skills".

Seriously guys, THESE are the people that make up the Hive?

Level 28
Fixed. Interestingly I found it to say "Got an<space><space>terrain" so there might have been an adjective in there at some point. Anyway, thanks for the fix.

The adjective was 'awesome'.
I can remember it.

Can we stop the nitpicking now?
I mean, out of all the people, I'm one of those who care a lot about sytlistic and gramatically correct written English but.. doesn't this go a bit outta hand yo?
Who even cares about the marginal difference between ' don't ' and 'do not', really?
Not like we're all native English speakers or anything, right..?

Status
Not open for further replies.