• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Showing a good example?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
That's true..

Anyway as other says those people who are lazy are not needed on hive..

So its ok if newbies got disappointed and leave the site.. they are not needed anyway.. those people only who have determination, hardwork, understanding, good attitude (maybe) is accepted on hive..

Also i am good with the standard on hive because as you know if we let this immature to maintain their attitude we will just make this site worse like epicwar..

So other will say "all i can see at hiveworkshop are bad maps.. i hope there is a site where i can find good maps only"... (don't let make this happen to hive)

Level 11
I don't do that, honestly, I got tons of maps in my folder but never upload them because of theyre simple maps + mostly they're not mine.

But we're talkin' 'bout new members... And you should know that a new mapper doesn't know what's a really "good" map. Every mapper looks at his own map as a good map, and I think that's not a bad attitude... It's natural, a crafter loves his crafts, an artist loves his arts, and a mapper loves his maps... And for them to understand, they need to be... uhhh... nevermind.

Level 11
ugh, let me repeat why they do that

Why they skip it? Cuz they're lazy to read the rules. They wish for approved resources without reading the resources rules

Come on, most of the mappers who do that are like 10 years old or something... You can't blame them, but yeah... If TheHive will just approve every map, then the site will be like epicwar the second...

Level 11
10 years old? we're 13 years old can read the rules (i'm 14 now)
what's the different? when i'm joined hive my age is 12 years old and i'm still can read the rules, only 2 year different.. and they can read, don't consider them like 6 years old kid who just learn how to read

Haha that's funny, but whatever you say, that's reality! Most of them are kids, I personally know many kid mappers... And I'm not saying they can't read... But they just don't know that a community has this "rules" section... What they only want is the "fun" part of a site! That's reality! And we can't just change that. And stop pointing your sword on me! Where's Almia?

Level 23
to karassu:

1. you are acting like total kid right now
2. this is so offtopic that this cant go any further
3. if you want to see DivineLight and Almia fight, just write them pm/vms, dont spam every single thread with this shit

Level 11
I didnt say you are kid, just acting like one

Well, I prefer saying "I'm not a kid" instead of "I'm not acting like a kid" (Maybe it's just me)

I dont care you want to see clash,

And I don't care if you don't care that I care that I wanna see clashes.

Ugh... Let's just end this, no more off-topic in this thread!
*Angry face* then *Looks at another thread and smiles*

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Frankly having insanely standards for acceptance only results in problems. As long as it does not violate any major site rule and the author put effort into making it, it should be accepted.

There should also be no moderator rating, since those themselves may be biased or over strict. The "I did not like it so its junk" problem.

In the end the rating should be dictated by users (of which moderators can rate as one if they want) and the comments left. If a lot of people say that the map is not worth playing then it probably is quite poor. Equally well if a lot of people say it is fun then it probably is quite fun.

As rating is done by a large number of peers, the author will be more willing to accept what he has and see his faults. This is in stark contrast to a moderator giving feedback which often results in a full blown confrontation between the two as the author thinks that person is being over strict or just being an "ass".

Level 11
Frankly having insanely standards for acceptance only results in problems. As long as it does not violate any major site rule and the author put effort into making it, it should be accepted.

There should also be no moderator rating, since those themselves may be biased or over strict. The "I did not like it so its junk" problem.

In the end the rating should be dictated by users (of which moderators can rate as one if they want) and the comments left. If a lot of people say that the map is not worth playing then it probably is quite poor. Equally well if a lot of people say it is fun then it probably is quite fun.

As rating is done by a large number of peers, the author will be more willing to accept what he has and see his faults. This is in stark contrast to a moderator giving feedback which often results in a full blown confrontation between the two as the author thinks that person is being over strict or just being an "ass".

You really are a good person...

And about the moderator rating, I think they just wanna add a "feature" to this site, compared to modern gadgets, they put so many features that we rarely or don't even use, but it still adds to being "high quality" of that gadget.
In short, the moderator rating is just for this site to be "flexible" having every feature it can have (Like the +rep "feature") That's what I think... 'Cause you're right, the vote of the majority is more believable than just 1 moderator... It's like if a map has been uploaded and the moderator doesn't want that type of map even most of the players like it, the map still gets low rating.

Last edited:
Level 21
At some point in my hive-career I decided to start reviewing maps.
Within the first day I reached a point, where a person simply denied or made up excuses for anything that I said, instead of fixing his map.
Then a couple other reviews came in, saying the exact same things I said(mostly) from different angles. In the end this guy still didn't do much for the map and it got rejected.
When talking with him I brought an example of a person(tomoraider) that had actually responded in a positive way to my critique. This is what I mean by showing a good example.
I admit that when I give critique, then it can often be harsh, but I still work hard to keep it justified.

Very agree with this, the more strict it is, the more problem it causes.

Another abuse problem, yes, I agree.

Yes, I agree, as long this is not abused by their friend, if their friend say its fun "just as a friend" then this can be annoying.

Pretty much agree, this happens a lot, wish it was like a teamwork way, so the author is capable accepting criticizes, but some people can't accept critics at all!

And about the moderator rating, I think they just wanna add a "feature" to this site, compared to modern gadgets, they put so many features that we rarely or don't even use, but it still adds to being "high quality" of that gadget.
In short, the moderator rating is just for this site to be "flexible" having every feature it can have (Like the +rep "feature") That's what I think... 'Cause you're right, the vote of the majority is more believable than just 1 moderator... It's like if a map has been uploaded and the moderator doesn't want that type of map even most of the players like it, the map still gets low rating.
I agree with the mass comment vs 1 mod comment but I disagree with the "flexible rating feature", it's possible for abuses, we can have our resources approve just because our friends uses this feature to help us. I think this feature should only be bestowed to a set of team of resource reviewers that promise to never abuse this system.

At some point in my hive-career I decided to start reviewing maps.
Within the first day I reached a point, where a person simply denied or made up excuses for anything that I said, instead of fixing his map.
Then a couple other reviews came in, saying the exact same things I said(mostly) from different angles. In the end this guy still didn't do much for the map and it got rejected.
When talking with him I brought an example of a person(tomoraider) that had actually responded in a positive way to my critique. This is what I mean by showing a good example.
Well, yeah, many people don't accept critics because they thing their resources are good [while in fact it's the reverse], I can't accept critic back when I just join but I learn and learn to accept critics.

I admit that when I give critique, then it can often be harsh, but I still work hard to keep it justified.
Yes, sometime we can get a bit far, but actually we only want the author to improve the resource.

I used to gather a team of map reviewers and the moderator rating would be the average of the team's ratings — a more balanced way to use moderator rating.
I agree, and if it's decided to be approved its approved, if rejected its rejected, btw, the Map Reviewer Group you meant still exist.

Last edited:
Level 35
I agree that a high standard must be maintained. In my opinion, the standard has slipped a little, but is still fairly decent.

That being said, I'm more inclined towards the notion that new users should be given an adequate chance. They should not, however, be babied.

That is to say a lot of people will tend to latch on to anybody who disapproves of their resource, making multitudes of minor fixes and asking day and night 'like this?'. Some go so far as getting upset when they don't get an immediate response (people /do/ have real life commitments and everyone needs to understand that).

I guess the most standard approach would be to help where we can, but only to an extent. Sooner or later they need to help themselves (Google is your friend).

Status
Not open for further replies.