• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Rules have to be made visible (in your face)

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
It's tiring to see people submit maps without a proper description or with the text in other languages and so on and so forth.

The rules need to be visible either before submitting or desirable when/after pressing the submit resource button. The thread with the specific rules should pop up (covering the screen). This would partially lessen the work time of reviewers and moderators (can't do much about people who don't care and upload anyways).
It would be nice if the rules list could be implemented as a have to check before uploading (like some sort of EULA). Also, it would be ideal for a resource to first only be visible to mods and revs before they filter it through to the submissions section (basically, the mods/revs would be able to send a message to the uploader to beat their cheek because they didn't read/respect the rules first and uploaded anyway.

Also, this might be a good idea to be put in the rules list, an example:
Azeroth Grand Prix (EXAMPLE UPLOAD)

These are my 50cents on the matter.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
No one would pay any more attention. Pop-up rules do nothing but annoy people.
It's better than not having a clue about the fact that resource submission is rules based.
How much work it takes to post a link of map rules?
Imagine users not being interested when they see the quality of the description and such. Even if the map would be updated, some might just: "oh I remember that one, it didn't even have a screenshot" and would just skip to the next resource. Seeing the resource near its finality with presentation and all is better than seeing it in all phases. We're not talking about resource development here.
In what the mods/revs are concerned, it would be easier for them if people actually read the rules before uploading, hence no more messages from their behalf like: "your resource needs a better description"' then "your resource still needs that" then "your resource is set to awaiting update" then "your resource is moved to the substandard or approved". That would save a lot of seconds to minutes for each resource. People tend to just rely on what the moderator/reviewer writes and not actually pay attention to the whole deal the rules shout at them. So, they read the first mod/rev post and do something. Then they read the second post and so on until the mod/rev either approves the map or joggles it in Awaiting Update.

Last edited:

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
x characters is not a good requirement either.
Can be bypassed with the note tag and it's a very low standard which encourage descriptions like:
"Guyz plz play this map I made!!!
It's an ORPG with great terrain and fun gameplay with many secretz!
Comment so i can c what u think."

That's 133 characters and it basically tells nothing.
Unless you raise the limit to a few thousand characters. (because links etc contains a lot of characters)

At least swag it up with bb codes, I don't see why that would be a bad requirement.

Guyz plz play this map I made!!!
It's an ORPG with great terrain and fun gameplay with many secretz!
Comment so i can c what u think.​

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
For some time now [month(s)] new-age resource uploaders (especially in the map section) have made their way to this site. Funny thing is, some of them seem to have beyond 18 years old shown on their profiles (true or not, no idea) and still have it their way. They don't even listen to suggestions form other users and mods/revs. Funny thing is, that some of the map descriptions are in English.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.