• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A question about the rules regarding game exports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
What if I for example use about 2,2 MB worth of sounds (yes, SOUNDS and NOT models) from World of Warcraft in my map? Will it get removed if I upload it (the map) to the site or post a link to the map asking for Beta Testers, for example?

The rules says

No such resources may be submitted to THW

But since the map is protected, will it really count as a resource? Since no one can extract the sounds anyway?

Level 5
Clarification: I would never in my life use WoW models in my map, but I am using some sounds from a WoW raid, mostly boss quotes ("FEED, ME BRUDDAHS"), and I am wondering if that also is an offence.

I am not requesting them, I will clearly state that they are from WoW, I will not upload them as a resource here, and my map will be protected.

I hope I can upload the map anyway, if I want help with beta testing and stuff?

But since the map is protected, will it really count as a resource? Since no one can extract the sounds anyway?

Protection only really protects your triggers and stuff. Imports are still fully accessible via any MPQ program.

As to them being allowed, I've seen a bunch of approved maps have WoW stuff in them. Hell, two hosted projects include WoW models.

Status
Not open for further replies.