• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WoW Importing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
"The direct exporting of resources from games other than Warcraft III is prohibited. This prohibition includes, but is not limited to, World of Warcraft®. No such resources may be submitted to THW. Forum discussions pertaining to the export or editing of resources from other games will be closed."

The meaning of this is not totaly clear for me.
Let's say, for example;
Someone imports World of Warcraft musics, and sounds into his map. Then he uploads his map into hive. Does this mean that he violated the rules, and the map won't get approved? I know that this rule only mentions "forum discusses", but maybe I missed something.
So, long story short: If someone uses WoW sound files in his map, does he violate the rules by doing so? And if he does, does he still violate them, if he makes his map protected, so that nobody can open it, and nobody can get to the imported files? :con:

Level 13
If it's copyrighted material being directly ripped in any way, shape for form, then it is prohibited.

Even if it's just Tyranny Normality by Papa Roach and the song is not modified, then it's illegal.

Level 10
Many maps on the HIVE database have imported sounds from Unreal Tournament, so I don't think using sounds from other games in a map is a big deal. Even DotA uses Unreal Tournament sounds...

Level 36
I think the main concern is about models. It's probably not even because it's illegal seeing as Blizzard won't do shit about it, it's just because the models look dumb in maps and it's encouraged that you don't rip stuff off other games because you are too lazy to get your own.

Level 34
Sounds are a little harder to catch, and we don't really spend a whole lot of time moderating each map, unless it's a quality map.

DotA does have custom sounds. I have a reason to Ignore the map!

Level 5
Thanks for aditional infomation, but now, I'm really completely unsure wheter I should use music and sounds (Like boss sounds) on my map or no :p
"Sounds are a little harder to catch, and we don't really spend a whole lot of time moderating each map, unless it's a quality map." -> Not really clear for me. Does this mean, that it's hard for moderators to catch sounds, so maybe they won't find them, or what? :D

Level 34
Of course not...they MARKETED it. Meaning they sold it, rather than distributed it for free.
If you bought it you might be able to. Although if you buy it and put it in the map, then upload it here, that could be considered releasing it to the public for free, and illegal.

Pretty much any custom sound is illegal unless you made it, or someone who did make it, has released it for free. Although I wouldn't bother Ignoring a map for sounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.