1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

The Reader's Lounge

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Keiji, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Silva

Silva

Resources:
    Resources:
    Creepy pasta about THW ? could think of something like that.

2. TheLordOfChaos201

TheLordOfChaos201

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ya I know... it could be great... but I call not it... I had to do all the hard thinking suggesting it -_-;

3. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    This isn't the right section for that. This is thread is intended for talking about books, hence Reader's Lounge.

There's always Off-Topic, or the Screenwriting/Storyboard Forum.

4. Keiji

Keiji

Administrator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Halfway through Way of Kings now, and Sanderson is slowly earning my very deep
    respect as a fantasy author of diversity. Sure some of the magic is similar, but there
    is a reason for that. However, the world he's created here, which is so vastly different
    from the Mistborn world, is so alien and strange, and yet at the same time it's thrilling
    and not confusing. I also love the style of the telling: This fractional way of looking at
    a story through the eyes of several different characters. Which in the beginning doesn't
    have anything to do with each other, but as the story progress they slowly start
    intertwining. I also love how I'm halfway through it now, and I'm not particularly wiser
    toward what the overall plot of the story is.

Sure I know what everyone's "up to", but I still feel like there's something looming on
    the horizon, so to speak.

5. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    Isn't it just the best? It's my favorite series, even better than LotR (barely).

6. Keiji

Keiji

Administrator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, my favourite is in my signature, but yeah, it's certainly more my kind of story and
    telling than LoTR. Tolkien is fantastic, sure, but his writing style isn't the same as my
    reading style, so to speak.

7. Deathcom3s

Deathcom3s

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Absolutely fantastic series so far. It hurts to think that he has said he currently has about 10 books worth of content to go through, and here we are waiting on Book 3.

8. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Finished Eragon book 3. The third book isn't available as an audiobook in my Audible region so I will pass on that one. The series was alright. I liked the universe and the characters but it underwhelmed me for a few reasons as stated earlier.

Anyway, I have started listening to Fight Club the book. It is quite like the movie and you really get a feeling of being inside this guy's head, pretty cool. It's only 5 hours so I will be done with it in no time.

Also, I discovered a podcast which I have been binge listening. I have also been reading this article: http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial-intelligence-revolution-1.html .

9. Ash

Ash

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I really liked Fight Club. There's some incredible passages in that book. Do you know how true the audiobook is to the book? They dropped a lot of the more serious things in the film, I wonder if they did the same for the audiobook.

10. Keiji

Keiji

Administrator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Don't worry, that's why we have this thread, so that you can find suitable substitutes
    while waiting for the next book. I'd say, just be glad there will come a next one ;)

Which reminds me that people shouldn't forget what the main purpose of this thread is:
    To recommend and review books for others to read, I'm pretty sure we can extend the
    current list better than we currently have.

I don't have a lot of experience with audio-books, but isn't it generally meant to just be
    a dude reading the exact words from the book itself? If that's the case, then they
    shouldn't omit anything. And if they do, then I find myself having lost the last vestiges
    of respect for audio-books that I had.

11. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    My understanding of audio books is that it's a direct reading from the book. There are some that are more like radio productions that are acted and narrated. Those are usually abridged.

12. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    There is abridged and unabridged. You usually want unabridged which means every single word is in the book. The other is shortened.

I read one book narrated by Wil Wheaton and the guy in the book actually met Wil Wheaton. Fun stuff like that doesn't come up in written texts.
    The book The Areas of My Expertise was narrated by the author himself and it is hilarious because it is a whole show in itself. There are some real gems out there.

13. PROXY

PROXY

3D Modeling Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Just started reading the Mistborn Chronicles because of you guys. Really awesome stuff. Quite refreshing "magic" and battle mechanics as well as loveable characters. I also quite dig the fact that there's not so much scene jumping going on from one character to another. There's the main characters and the story follows them.

Another series I really can recommend:

The Demon Cycle from Peter V. Brett.

Amazing storyline, entertaining progress of the characters, awesome "magic" system as well. Although it suffers quite a bit from the scene jumping mentioned above, it's still one of my favourites.

14. Keiji

Keiji

Administrator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Gotta love it when a thread is successful :D

-

I'd love it if you could spare a moment to sell in that series a little better, as of
    currently, most of what you said doesn't really make me want to go and buy it.
    Tell us of the storyline, what kind of book is it, if you would compare it to something,
    what would that be? So on and so forth.

Review: Three - By Jay Posey

Personally, I could recommend a book called "Three" by Jay Posey, apparently it's part
    of a small series of books, but I've only read this first one. It's a sci-fi book set in a
    distant, post-apocalyptic, future where humanity has receded, crazed cyborg-like
    creatures called the "Weir" roaming the night and killing everyone they find and a world
    of technology and despair.

At first glance, this sounds like your average post-apocalyptic story like Fallout,
    The Book of Eli and such stories. But before long you will realize that there are deeper
    facets of this story, a weird "magical system" that somehow involved technology and
    mysticism, and characters with deep and intricate psychological scars. Jay has a very
    peculiar writing style, keeping his action quick and enticing by the simple use of so
    many punctuations that it could make you dizzy, and you're always kept wondering
    whether the characters of the book are good or bad, or maybe neither...

It's a quick, entertaining read, and I loved it.

15. Traxamillion

Traxamillion

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Just finished reading Alice Notley's "The Descent of Alette"

I recommend HIGHLY, especially if you've read Dante's Divine Comedy (mostly the Inferno). Don't be afraid of the internet calling it a feminist epic. It is, but it's not the shitty SJW new-wave feminism we see today. Fantastic stuff.

16. Keiji

Keiji

Administrator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Shit, reading about it on goodreads really got me interested.

But it didn't fully give me the proper image of what genre it
    is, "fantasy" or "fiction"?

17. Gilles

Gilles

Resources:
    Resources:
    Mistborn Overview

I'm going to try and keep this short.

Mistborn takes place in a world where some people are born with magical powers called Allomancy. These people are able to use metal in their body (either naturally or by ingesting metal flakes) to power different abilities. For example Steel allows someone to push on nearby metal. Iron lets them pull on nearby metal. Pewter greatly enhances physical strength. There are 8 basic metals.

The main character is a girl of about 18 (I forget exactly) who works for a small time criminal. She's grown up on the streets and learned to fend for herself by unknowingly using one of the allomantic metals to sway peoples emotions.

The story takes place in a medieval fantasy setting with tones of industrial England (sort of a Charles Dickens feel). I don't mean steampunk, but it has social elements from that time period. At least that's how I felt reading it. The story takes place in an empire ruled by a tyrant god king.

The story does jump between characters, but the majority is from the view of the main girl.

18. Keiji

Keiji

Administrator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Finally, someone else writing an overview/review :p
    - Added a link from the main post.

Two things though: I'd use "trace minerals/metals" instead of plain metals, might sound
    a little weird to people who haven't read it otherwise.

And Vin is 16 in the beginning of the first book.

19. BlackEnvyX

BlackEnvyX

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I tried getting into the "Percy Jackson" book series.
    Not even remotely my cup of tea, they make the greek gods look incredibly lackluster and the story is contrived to all hell.

Speaking of whoever mentioned the audio book, my band's second album is actually going to be an audiobook story with classical backings to it based on a childhood story I crafted.

20. StoPCampinGn00b

StoPCampinGn00b

Community Manager

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I read those when I was 10, 11, and 12. Seemed like that was the demographic the author was going for.