• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Discuss Film & TV Series - Ratings & Recommendations

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Always good with some classics. I do wonder if the Thor one was the good or the bad one? Can't recall the name of either.
From what I've read regarding critical response, it was the bad one — which, to me, was decent for some casual action! :p
The good one is called Ragnarok I believe.
Hehe, I should get around to seeing some of the thor movies. [...]

Thor (2011) - IMDb
Thor - The Dark World (2013) - IMDb
Thor: Ragnarok (2017) - IMDb

Extra-bonus from the Vault, for all the Thor / Super-heroes fans out there:

The Incredible Hulk Returns (TV Movie 1988) - IMDb
The Incredible Hulk Returns - Wikipedia

Quoting Wikipedia, "The Incredible Hulk Returns was a major ratings success, outdoing even the high expectations directed to it as a reunion of the Incredible Hulk TV series."

Hulk Thor.jpg

Level 20
I'm currently watching Knightfall - History Channel's historical/fantasy tv series about the fall of the Templar Order and the search for a Holy Grail.

It's not really great and doesn't have awesome reviews, but I kinda like it :) At least as something to watch until GoT comes back next year :)

Level 20
Knightfall (TV Series 2017– ) - User ratings - IMDb

On IMDb, ratings above 8 seem to come from people <18 (be they males or females)
So, did I just find a way to make myself seem 10 years younger? :D

Yeah, but I agree - it's not really a great show and I can see where the negative ratings/reviews are coming from... But I still enjoy it :)

Though I do kinda regret openly admitting to it and I think it's best that I keep my other guilty pleasures for myself in the future, because after reading some of those IMDb reviews I know feel like a total weirdo for liking that TV show :D

Last edited:
Level 15
Im watching "The Killing of a sacred Deer", I'm 30 min in and don't understand a thing, and it has pedo vibes all over it.

Weirdest creepiest thing I've watched.

Turns out the plot was very twisted, you could tell it was based on a greek comedy. I'm still not sure why the dialogue felt so detatched or what the deal was with the bisarr sex scene. The ending was really good though.

But yea, had to skip a few cringeworthy scenes.

Last edited:
Level 14
Rewatching the Tremors films, they're sci-fi / comedy / creature horror films that have actually aged very well (particularly the first two films) with some big name actors in them (Kevin Bacon for example). I gotta say, I really missed those movies, has anyone else seen them?

Level 32
Rewatching the Tremors films, they're sci-fi / comedy / creature horror films that have actually aged very well (particularly the first two films) with some big name actors in them (Kevin Bacon for example). I gotta say, I really missed those movies, has anyone else seen them?
Tremors to me is the Jurassic park of monster movies, besides Alien and Aliens of course. The first and second movies really just felt right, like there was no BS and they cut right to the chase with the right amount of suspense and action. I also like how it isn't over the top like many other oversaturated monster/alien-horror movies.

Level 14
Tremors to me is the Jurassic park of monster movies, besides Alien and Aliens of course. The first and second movies really just felt right, like there was no BS and they cut right to the chase with the right amount of suspense and action. I also like how it isn't over the top like many other monster/alien-horror movies.
Exactly! The acting was solid, there was just the right amount of build up, the creature designs were fantastic and so were the practical effects. I LOVED the practical effects. I know the second one had to have CGI in some spots for budget reasons, but it was still wonderful.

Level 14
That makes for a quite compelling argument :smile: Even more so for a monster movie. Guess I now have a reward for myself when I finish my current busy streak.
Believe it or not, even the direct to DVD sequels are regarded nearly or just as highly (Tremors 2 uses the same fantastic practical effects + has a 65% on Rotten Tomatoes despite having a lower budget), it's just one of those franchises that hits all the right notes (although I've only seen 1-4, I haven't checked out the 5th movie yet, and the 6th movie is currently in production)

Level 35
Believe it or not, even the direct to DVD sequels are regarded nearly or just as highly (Tremors 2 uses the same fantastic practical effects + has a 65% on Rotten Tomatoes despite having a lower budget), it's just one of those franchises that hits all the right notes (although I've only seen 1-4, I haven't checked out the 5th movie yet, and the 6th movie is currently in production)

That is undoubtedly a great achievement. I still recall my problems with the Resident Evil series, from being decent, to being plain headache inducingly awful. That Tremors managed to keep going for at least 4 movies and be good, darn.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Been watching a few movies, as usual :p
All of these are your average afternoon films, nothing too exciting, but decent to pass the time.

Level 35
Been watching a few movies, as usual :p
All of these are your average afternoon films, nothing too exciting, but decent to pass the time.

Out of those, I liked The Italian Job the most, it was decent action and story, without trying to stretch my sense of belief to much (the 300 one became too much for me when, I was watching it).

Reactions: Rui

Rui

Rui

Level 41
This one missed the whole point of what made the first film a credible one imho, in which all of the historical inaccuracies and over the top action scenes imho find a completely logical and satisfying explanation at the very end of the first film.
I confess to not having watched 300. :p

More movies watched in the meantime:
  • National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets, starring Nicholas Cage. I love this sort of mystery slash adventure slash historical films.
  • 2012, a 2009 movie of The Day After Tomorrow type — prediction of disaster.
Not sure why both these movies received so much hate :p. They're admittedly exaggerated, but not that bad overall.

Level 35
I confess to not having watched 300. :p

More movies watched in the meantime:
  • National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets, starring Nicholas Cage. I love this sort of mystery slash adventure slash historical films.
  • 2012, a 2009 movie of The Day After Tomorrow type — prediction of disaster.
Not sure why both these movies received so much hate :p. They're admittedly exaggerated, but not that bad overall.

National Treasure 2, didn't really catch me the way the first one did. But it was decent. Haven't watched 2012 (I weren't even aware of its existence). Gotta get around to watching some more movies, so I can recommend stuff. Usually just end up with audio-books or books in general consuming my sparse spare-time :grin:

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Watched Big Game (2014 film), a Finnish film. Channel AXN Portugal had advertised countless times a movie of a seemingly Chinese boy shooting an arrow from what looked like an aerial tramway. Since I like medieval stuff, I was curious :p. Turns out he is actually one of the Sami people. The movie portraits a 13-year old's fulfillment of a tradition to hunt an animal in 24 hours, alone in the woods. Meanwhile, he stumbles upon the President of the United States.

Given the record, I was expecting harsh critique for this film; although the effects and picture are pretty cool, on par with 2012 (film), the script is poor and the plot implausible. The chance to delve into Sami (or whatever is the culture the kid belongs to in the film) is wasted on strained, hollow catch phrases all too typical in cinema. To my surprise, the movie has 76% rating on Rotten Tomatoes; makes me think critique is a bit incoherent. :p My rating for this movie would perhaps be a little higher than for the two I mentioned in my former post, though not by that much.

Last edited:
Level 15
Watched Thor Ragnarok. It's only fan service -_- The effects were bad (comparing to the others), really visible if its fake, the story was really tiny. Nothing really special. Still havent watch Infinty War but I'm pretty sure its over rated.

Pasific Rim. I thought it was a Transformer clone when it released, but its more like Ultraman with Power Ranger robot lol. I might say the fighting was pretty solid, although its actually boring lol. The MCs are just too OP. I think it has more potential to improve the story, like.. I thought that monster fanatic proffessor gonna turn evil by controlling the monster and that annoying guy gonna join him lol. For a better robot fighting, I prefer Real Steel. Planned to watch Pasific Rim 2 but reviews said that it was childish movie.

Already watched Frozen Olaf Adventure a dozen times only to see Elsa's new cloth. lol. For this short story, its pretty predictable, also the jokes. The song wasnt that great (maybe because Olaf wasnt great singer lol)

Planned to watch Lara Croft. But people said that they watch it not for the story and stuff, but only to see That Lara Croft actress in action -_- Also, havent watch deadpool 2 :(, not really like how Domino looks, hmmm...

Rui

Rui

Level 41
But people said that they watch it not for the story and stuff, but only to see That Lara Croft actress in action -_-
Typical :p

I watched The Kite Runner (2007). I knew I shouldn't be watching this kind of films because my heart just melts :pcry: After thinking for a while I realized these could be just cheats to emotionally engage with the audience, but then I found the Wikipedia article for the bacha bazi... I feel so powerless to help the world sometimes... :(

Level 9
Currently thinking if Miraculous Ladybug or Troll Hunters are worth my time, both seems decent and I need a break from anime. Not sure if I can handle 3D Animation though.

Level 9
Okay after several days of binge-watching I came to some quick reviews of my shows in the previous posts:

Miraculous Ladybug: The show is good, maybe not Gravity Falls - esque good but it has a stand on its own. Obiviously it has span lots of fanarts and fanfictions but i'm not judging it. If you like Totally Spies but with a superhero spin-off and a (somewhat?) continious plotline, the show is for you.

Trollhunters in the otherhand is excellent, a good mix between action and adventure and a little bit dark. Obiviously its Gullimero Del Toro so you are gonna have a good time watching this. Its the world-building and the plot that keeps me on going.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Since last time, I watched...
  • Tarzan [3D] (2013), it's a 3D animated movie based on a classic. You want it to end at min 20, but it goes on for 2 hours. Not worth the time.

• Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (2011). This movie was about to expire in my save list. I thought I'd be wasting my time, but it turns out to be quite a surprise. For someone who loves the mind games with some action in the mix, this is definitely worth watching. And as a bonus I took a note of interesting music such as "Fischerweise", Schubert, 1826. :p

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Been watching a couple of movies:
  • Partially watched The Way, Way Back (2013). Must have caught it in half. Not my type of movie, but I would've easily watched all of it; figures it was somewhat relatable in the anxiety to find a place where you belong, with people you like.

• Howl's Moving Castle (2004). Totally, definitely a must-watch! It is a movie by Hayao Miyazaki, the same of Spirited Away. A movie to laugh and to cry, full of metaphoric content that will appeal to adults, and, of course, being an animation movie, a lot of fun to young audience as well. Who'd have guessed an old woman could be the protagonist of a movie and make it work out :p

• La sacra famiglia (2006), an Italian movie depicting the early life of Jesus. This movie is quite long (3h and 20min). It could easily have been shorter, though I suppose it sometimes ends up doing more harm than good, as in Kingdom of Heaven (2005). In the end, I guess it was somewhat worth it.

• Houdini (2014), an animation film. I thought I wouldn't like it, but it is short (<1 hour), and is actually mildly enjoyable. Finally got a glimpse behind the inner workings of the trick performed by the magician treated by Doctor House in one of his episodes. xP
Meanwhile I also watched half the second season of Jamestown, a series covering the colonizing of the States. It keeps you interested (and myself in particular, being a fan of the medieval/historical genre), though the pace is slow and the plot somewhat uninteresting. The third season is now in production.

P.S. — Oh, and I had The English Patient to watch, but saw a short summary and didn't feel the mood to see it.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Watched:
  • Firewall (2006). Very bland short telenovela movie. Predictable and uninteresting story.
  • Woman in Gold (2015). Seems quite unrealistic for a film based on a real story, to say the least. The pace is uneven; first it progresses slowly and then skyrockets. Overall entertaining.
  • Godzilla (2014). Guess I liked it, but take away the special effects and it falls short. The movie could've tried to pass some message regarding nuclear warfare, but it didn't.

Level 35
I guess I'm the only one posting anymore? xD Anyhow, plenty of them watched this Christmas:

Not the only one :wsmile: But perhaps the one who is best at keeping it up.

Currently I have watched (of films): Venom (decent) and Bohemian Rhapsody (utterly amazing - highly recommended).

Of Streaming-series I am currently watching: Castlevania (Netflix) and it is quite great.

I have various random ones, but above is the highlight.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Today I rewatched the movie Small Soldiers (1998), which is a title I think I forgot to mention here. A toy shop orders an unconventional line of toys that wreak havoc due to their intelligent design. It's a comedy, not a terror film, and it's somewhat captivating.

EDIT: Oh, and I also watched Inception, finally, and Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole (2010).

Last edited:
Level 15
John Wick. It feature an OP MC. The action was great although the fist fight really weird, too many same move. Seems like there is a really big problem with vehicle here, so weird and funny. I really like the story developments, kinda make me attached to it.

John Wick 2. The action still same, over power weird. Fist fight got weirder. And same problem with vehicles. Well I’m already attached to it and make me curious what will happen here so I liked it. Not as good as first one, but we see more about this world. Then this also make me curious for the next movie.

Equilizer. .... I watched Equilizer 2 Trailer, and I thought this was a comedy movie. Turned out this was also a John Wick ._. The story development is fantastic. We know nothing about the MC (and the story, at all) at first. Then it happens. The movie felt like really slow for an action, really really slow. Most time we only watch MC walking around and the enemies searching him.

Equilizer 2. I thought it will be better since we already know the MC. Turned out it’s still same slow and worse. The enemies are stupid and predictable. MC got more OP, and not really have story building. So disappointing.

Ralph Break the Internet. Not really meet my expectation. I only want to see Disney Princesses. The story is so boring, flat characters relationship, Disney Princesses in action only for couple seconds. Totally not enjoyable

Johny English Strikes Back. It was great to see him and the old partner back, although overall not good as the others.

Level 15
How to Train Your Dragon 3.
5/10. Maybe because I’m not really like it since 2. The first one give some memory to me, but second one cant remember much other than the ending mountain dragons a lot.
Then story is kinda boring, feels like a furry romance (without fur), because those 2 dragons are kinda like cats. People say the character development was good, but I didnt really see it, feels like a step back.

Hotel Transylvania 2
1/10 because i thought Mavis was still a teen. Then there is this child. wtf. Ruined my fantasy

Aquaman.
8/10. Above average for the recent DC movies. Ending felt a bit rushed, because of additional story for Black Manta. Final war felt suck. “There are too many casualty”. wtf ._. There are still some comedy in it. It has happy ending. Kinda hoping some tragedy that ._.

Kamen Rider Zi-O
7/10. I only watch it because i like to see many kamen rider in action. And since zio is a 20th anniv, like decade as 10th, it feature various kamen rider with its own story. For this one, this Zi-O gonna erase all previous kamen rider (for now). Story is interesting, watched 30 episodes in 4 days. Funny parts are funny, although some use previous Kamen Rider references, which i dont know. It’ll be funnier if I know them.

Hellboy (2019)
4/10. Comparing to Hellboy1and2. Boring. The gore feels unnecessary. And then they add some boring humor within it. The old one were funny and enjoyable. This one not that much. The design feels so boring. They should be focusing more on their demon design, not just showing human organ and horror granny. The pig was suck, its background is boring, the fight was plain. Overall dialogue were not natural for my ears. That ending is just so quick. Some scenes are not consistent, like when rushing the queen in wood, that guy said he has no ammo. After 2 scene, he is shooting again. And the civilian. They said the plague already spread, then on final civilan scene when ground breaking, they just walk normally. On my experience, there are too many noise (on screen), and the audio were plain, not remakable, too many noisy loud. Idk if its only on that theater or not.

And, its rated 17+ in my country, yet these young parents brought their kids there ._.
“Kids these days” is not the right words, its “Parents these days”..

Last edited:

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Watched a ton of them since last time I posted. These are the ones I remember:
  • Rise of the Guardians (2012): A movie about Jack Frost. I didn't know the character, but I got to know him and liked the movie.
  • Alexander (2004): Historically inaccurate, but I love anything that's got to do with Alexander the Great, so I enjoyed this movie to some extent.
  • Dunkirk (2017): A lot of boast was made about this. I didn't find it anything too special, but it was a decent film.
  • Soldado Milhões (2018): Portuguese film about the deeds of one of our soldiers in World War I, which earned him the highest honors ever given to a Portuguese military man. It is a little bland, but bearable.
  • The Thin Red Line (1998): Watched it about 2 hours ago. A deep, philosophical World War II film portraying a fictional storyline of the Battle of Mount Austen. I'd rate it 4/5.
  • Fury (2014): Mixed feelings on this one. If on one hand it portrays war in its senselessness, it's also cringy at times.
  • Sleepy Hollow (1999): Starring Johnny Depp. Gotta love the way he reprises the role of Ichabod Crane. Not a memorable movie, but entertaining nonetheless.
  • Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008): Animated film. I'm not into Star Wars, might be why I find the film sort of boring.
Partially watched Collateral (2004, seems like a decent film), Kirot (2009, Israeli movie, interesting plot, but too telenovellesque) and Shark Night 3D (2011, Piranha 3D-wannabe).

I've also been catching a few episodes of Stargate SG-1 :p. The characters look kinda cringy now, but I remember loving this series ^^

EDIT (12-Aug): My binge watch sessions continue. :D Watched San Andreas (2015) and Gnome Alone (2017). I also forgot to say I had partially watched Godzilla (1998), which received quite a lot of negative criticism (no idea why, it didn't seem so bad), and Vanishing on the 7th Street (2010).

EDIT (13-Aug): Watched Won't Back Down (2012). Entertaining and emotionally appealing, but I prefer when these movies really capture the essence of the problems they address; in this case, bureaucracy and teaching methods. Unfortunately, it's too centered around the drama.

EDIT (14-Aug): In my previous edit, I forgot to mention I had watched Léon (1994). Caught the last parts of Last Knights (2015), which I don't think I got to advertise watching in this thread a few months ago. The latter is again an underrated, but enjoyable film.

EDIT (19-Aug): Watched Dragon Blade (2015). Jackie Chan meets John Cusack in an epic History-inspired film on The Silk Road. I believe the directing could have been better. Imagery, at least, was a bit subpar with the acting. Regardless, if only for the fight scenes, watching this was totally worth it. Doesn't deserve the negative reviews it got at all.

(Also, did I mention I watched Let Me In (2010) around a year ago?)

Last edited:

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Bump, 'cuz too many edits are piling up. :p Watched Poseidon (2006), Goosebumps (2015), 47 Ronin (2013) and The Confirmation. All fairly entertaining, but applauding this last one, it has a certain depth to it.

Meanwhile, I'm also watching the TV series Merlin. I feel it's a bit lacking in every aspect of it (image, filming, special effects, sometimes even acting), but I just love this sort of productions too much to care. Besides, the concept of a young Merlin, a young Morgana and a with a young Arthur was an awesome idea.

Level 35
Bump, 'cuz too many edits are piling up. :p Watched Poseidon (2006), Goosebumps (2015), 47 Ronin (2013) and The Confirmation. All fairly entertaining, but applauding this last one, it has a certain depth to it.

Meanwhile, I'm also watching the TV series Merlin. I feel it's a bit lacking in every aspect of it (image, filming, special effects, sometimes even acting), but I just love this sort of productions too much to care. Besides, the concept of a young Merlin, a young Morgana and a with a young Arthur was an awesome idea.

I tried watching Merlin and couldn't keep my interest in it. Having a lot of knowledge about the historic person likely didn't help - but the idea was nice. Slightly reminded me (although it is a very different thing) of the tv-series "Dead Like Me" Might be the lack of truly epic acting, effects and so on that made it feel similar, although in my mind I by far prefer Dead Like Me, and it annoyed me it didn't get a proper chance (other than a godawful movie follow-up).

Currently I am mostly just watching Grand Tour when I have the time. But seeing as White Collar is on Netflix now, I can recommend watching many of the early seasons - it becomes slightly too involved in the (in my mind) fault of tv-series where they desperately try to create an overarching plot with a villain that just keep dragging its corpse around or they run out of ideas and reset the main characters progress with some lame excuse. But as much of it can be watched as stand alone it is quite decent and who doesn't love a good hustle. (Similar to how I have a fair bit of fondness for heist movies).

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Finished watching Merlin. Definitely unmemorable in various aspects (acting, script and general plot, including inconsistencies here and there), but overall likeable and enjoyable.

Having a lot of knowledge about the historic person likely didn't help - but the idea was nice.
So you are acquainted with this period of History? I'd love to hear some more thought on this from you. :)

Level 35
Finished watching Merlin. Definitely unmemorable in various aspects (acting, script and general plot, including inconsistencies here and there), but overall likeable and enjoyable.

So you are acquainted with this period of History? I'd love to hear some more thought on this from you. :)

Well, its environmental damage so to speak :grin: As both my parents are historians, one with a focus on the middle-ages and another on the 17th century. So I tend to be harsher towards certain historical inaccuracies, just as fake IT scenes can break immersion for me as well (although both situations can also make for some great fun). Merlin was more a case of my expectations contra the reality of it, but my sister loved it - so just the family background is not the main reason :smile: