• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

The Lonely Nightstar

full

Important
Important
This campaign was made by Flower Fairy. She is the author of this campaign. The campaign is being posted on HiveWorkShop on her behalf with her express permission.

The campaign was originally posted here:

花季的阴影V2.0 - 自定义战役系列地图讨论区 - 游久社区 - bbs.uuu9.com

full

The Lonely Nightstar
The Lonely Nightstar
This campaign tells the story of Maiev and the Night Elves' fight for freedom against the various factions that seek to oppose them. The campaign is comprised of 11 playable missions and 9 cinematic missions, and follows the style of the Blizzard campaign with RTS-style missions as well as RPG-style missions.

Due to the conversion tool used to convert the campaign to the standard world editor, it is recommended to play the campaign using the most recent patch.

List of Flower Fairy's Campaigns
List of Flower Fairy's Campaigns

1. The Lonely Nightstar
2. Of Crimson Tides
3. Evil Resurgent
4. A Song of Dream Chasing

Characters

full
Maiev: The main character of the campaign, and the leader of the fugitives. She was once a boy, but for unknown reasons she had her friend He Xiaoshu change her into a girl. No one else knew she changed into a girl besides He Xiaoshu. Everyone else still thought she was a boy, including her romantic admirer Jaina. Maiev is cold, elegant and independent. She has a sense of righteousness and yearns freedom. When Jaina sacrifices herself for her, she gives her emotions away to Valkyire in order to revive Jaina. Her pain while staying in Lordaeron compelled her to feel the shadow of death during her wonderful youth. For this, she thirsts for vengeance more than at any other time, even to the extent that she has no scruples taking advantage of her allies. In the end, after being alienated from everyone, she persists in her vengeance and goes through the completely unknown portal.

full
Jaina: A child who has had a tough life. She lost her parents when she was very young, and is in love with Maiev. In order to gain her acceptance, Jaina even sacrifices her own life. Even though she is ultimately revived by Valkyire, she chooses to stop following Maiev. She knows she will feel guilty for a long time...

full
Malfurion: An old friend of Maiev's who flees Lordaeron with her. He is very loyal to Maiev, but in the end he chose to not help her along with everyone else. This caused Maiev to become angry with shame, and she cut off relations with Malfurion.

full
Shandris: A highly skilled ranger who is tough and suspicious. She is Tyrande's and Jaina's friend. She knows that the sacrifices that arise from Maiev's vengeance are foolish. It is she who convinces Tyrande to abandon Maiev.

full
Illidan: An old friend of Maiev's who was cursed along with his followers upon the arrival of Balnazzar and Mannoroth. He swore to make them pay for what they did. In the end, he abandoned the endless chase, and cut off relations with Maiev.

full
Tyrande: A cowardly leader who commands Ashenvale to resist the lordaeron undead invasion while the leader of Ashenvale is absent. In the end, she chooses to preserve her remaining warriors, which causes her to have a falling out with the vengeance-seeking Maiev.

Screenshots
full
full
full
full
full
full
full
full

Credits

Message from Flower Fairy (creator): This campaign takes some inspiration from Tomoraider and Sclammerz.

These are the hiveworkshop resources in use, based on the automatic credit generator:
Resources in Use by The Lonely Nightstar | HIVE

Bymighty, Rightfield, Kuhneghetz, General Frank, Darky29, frostwolf, jetfanginferno, vile, Lord_T, BloodY_turds, donut3.5, infrenus, kitabatake, assasin_lord, shadow_killer, thrikodius, supertoinkz, sellensiko, -grendel, power, hexus, Wandering Soul, Kellym0, jesushipster, Andrewoverload519, ebuz, john_drake, nightskyaurora, kangyun, matiS, Krysis, darkholme, 67chrome, Daenar7, Blizzard Entertainment, Kyzerdrood32, darkfang, crazyrussian, cloudwolf, palaslayer, hellx-magnus, orthon, Peekay, zbc, nelsonlaje, heinvers, blazecraze, the panda,

Special Thanks

Message from Flower Fairy (creator): This campaign takes some inspiration from Tomoraider and Sclammerz.

These people helped in various ways in bringing the campaign to hiveworkshop.
Ghostwolf- YDWE conversion tool, Wareditor + Quinten- map description title picture, Deepstrasz- various things, Naruto- helping contact the author, Tuwnew- map template.

Change Log

H-Soy-v0.01- Initial Upload

H-Soy-v0.02- (chapter 1) strange dog unit name translated, bandit name translations fixed, circle for bomb name translated, main quest message translated. (chapter 3) Undead Necromancer named translated, double optional quest fixed
H-Soy-v0.03 tidal market + naga royal guard tooltip, map05 orange's armour reduction aura buff tooltip, map05 green abomination boss name, map06 interlude "Our Goals", map09 "shatter Archimonde's", map10 Satyr boss sound bites, map11 abomination unit in second undead group encountered name, "build troll hut", Rokhan " you will breathe", map12 "cold polar region", map13 Gazlowe "yeah", map13 Goblin acid bomb tooltip, map14 "place them (land mines)", map14 invulnerability potion tooltip,
H-Soy-v0.04 keeper "blood cry" debuff, sylvanas + muradin remaining item tooltip +name, map17 village leader name, fel orc crossbowman name, infernal machine name, black mouse name,
map18, orb of vengeance without blink toolip, easter egg rune stat boost included tooltip, fel orc shaman + elite frosty wyrm + kazzak +abomination name, lok tar/life for life line swap,
H-Soy-v0.05 Two preplaced shadow troll priests removed and the unit itself removed from tech tree on map 11 (temporarily, it causes auto crash to warcraft 3)

Contents

The Lonely Nightstar (Campaign)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Indeed, part of the Warcraft III story has been badly altered but by no means does this campaign deserve 1 star. It has gameplay value. Not only is it unfair disdain but it is not even criticism, it's unjust accusation. You have provided no arguments...
Level 23
Just to remind you all: The author of this campaign is 我是花仙魔法使 (flower fairy). The campaign is posted on hiveworkshop on her behalf with her express permission.
The campaign was originally posted here:

花季的阴影V2.0 - 自定义战役系列地图讨论区 - 游久社区 - bbs.uuu9.com

full

This is the first campaign (hopefully) of many translations of campaigns from the Chinese warcraft 3 community. Hopefully we can "give back" in the sense that by sharing many campaigns from their community, it will inspire Hiveworkshop creators to make more campaigns, and then the chinese community can play those campaigns when the Chinese translators bring Hive campaigns to their community (so in this way, they can benefit also).

The 20th mission, which is the "afternote", is intentionally unplayable.

Finally, it is strongly recommended to use some kind of method to moisturize your eyes before playing this, because if you blink during any of the cinematic scenes, you might miss all the dialogue.

Message from Flower Fairy:

When I was still a primary school student, I would often fantasize about making my own map. When I was in my first year of middle school (2014), I was influenced by older creators such as Tomoraider and Turnro, and my plan of making my own campaign became firmer. In 2015 (my second year of middle school), I began the slow process of making a custom campaign. Even though during my self-study period in 2014 I made a few crude Azeroth fanfiction maps (Like the Forsaken v Scarlet Crusade + Burning Legion, Uther’s son, who followed Jaina, leading Humanity to retake Lordaeron), I still wish for my campaigns to be based on an adapted Warcraft Universe, as in this way I could integrate more personal ideas. This is how I came to make custom campaigns.

In 2018, a player called Tulee wanted to translate custom campaigns from the Uuu9 website over to hiveworkshop. I knew about hiveworkshop. It was a war3 website favoured by map makers. For this, I actively signed my campaigns up to be translated. But I must admit, the four campaigns up until now have more or less contained some detail issues. In addition, when initially making campaigns I did not plan to set up cinematic skip triggers (in my opinion this is the core issue with the first four campaigns), since many players have been troubled by this. But after knowing players’ comments, I do not think my campaigns are terrible. Some players even like them greatly. This invigorates me.

But the most prominent comments concern the names of the characters. I realize I must express my personal view on this matter.

Tulee is not the first person to translate my campaign. Before him, a player translated my first campaign for me and posted it on hiveworkshop. It was only after she finished the translation that she informed me that she had changed many of the character names in my campaign to names of characters in the Azeroth Universe. She had edited some models and icons, and had even changed my campaign’s name from “Shadow of Youth” to “The Lonely Nightstar”. But at the time, I was good friends with that player. I knew translating a campaign was difficult, so I agreed with her idea. Later, due to various reasons, the initial “The Lonely Nightstar” was forcibly removed. I am not very clear on what happened at the time, but there were still many players who had played my campaign.

I have practically never seen a campaign where the characters’ names were altered. I think this is very rash, and really don’t like this. This is also why I hoped Tulee would still translate some names of characters and places into the corresponding names for Azeroth when translating my campaign. After all, many players had played my campaign. Also, I think in this way the immersion will be greater for players at hiveworkshop. In reality, when designing some of the characters, I referred to some settings of Azeroth characters, but many original characters like He Xiaoshu without any references are directly translated. Players must understand this is an overhead universe adapted from Warcraft, even though this world has some similarities with Azeroth. I have even given this world a name: Alysisy. This special name will be emphasized repeatedly in my 5th campaign. For this, I feel strange when I see some players think Tulee changed the character names in the campaigns. The requirements of the translation were set out by me personally. It was not Tulee who decided on his own. I hope players can understand this.

I have also seen some comments that have left me with a deep impression. Some players think many plot points of my campaigns draw from the Blizzard campaigns.

In my opinion, the plot and gameplay of campaigns complement each other. For example, in A Song of Dream Chasing, Thrall becoming acquainted with the Tauren and Trolls of the Barrens is an inevitable outcome, as in the techtree I set up, the Orcs’ allies are still the Tauren and the Trolls. If I had to be different from the Blizzard campaigns, then I would be forced to design new units, such as harpies or quilbeasts or even centaur? But such a techtree would then coincide with the Legends of Arkain. If I were to design it like this, then the campaign plot would need to be greatly changed again. So, I will draw on some plot and settings from the Blizzard campaign. I myself like the traditional style of the Blizzard campaigns. I do not think this is a very, very bad thing for this.

My 5th campaign, Guangying Xiangsui, will have nothing to do with the Blizzard campaigns in many areas. At the same time, I think this will be my best, and longest custom campaign. So, whether or not I can finish it by July-August is still unknown. But I will do my utmost to make it good.

Last edited:
Finally, it is strongly recommended to use some kind of method to moisturize your eyes before playing this, because if you blink during any of the cinematic scenes, you might miss all the dialogue.
Say what now?

Anyway, I'm glad there are some big feedback between chinese and english modding community. Hopefully we cane have our campaign here translated to chinese in exchange as well.

Level 3
Good to have more foreign stuff on Hive :thumbs_up:

Maiev: The main character of the campaign, and the leader of the fugitives. She was once a boy, but for unknown reasons she had her friend He Xiaoshu change her into a girl. No one else knew she changed into a girl besides He Xiaoshu. Everyone else still thought she was a boy, including her romantic admirer Jaina.

Jaina: A child who has had a tough life. She lost her parents when she was very young, and is in love with Maiev. In order to gain her acceptance, Jaina even sacrifices her own life

I never knew about the unrequited love between Jaina and Maiev or Maiev really being a boy all this time. My head hurts...gonna go lie down now.

Level 5
The story screams pure anime. It's a little bit of cultural exchange, that would explained why I am a little baffled by the story. The gameplay in of it's self feels like it's made for more hardcore players(or maybe I got worse at the game than I should have, DAMN YOU BLACK FLAG!). But I can see the enjoyment of this for somebody that wants a challenge and that finds this kind of story interesting. From high school drama-ish to fantasy in overdrive! The terrain looks good for what I played until now, the bandits have no name on them in the first chapter, maybe it's because of the transaltion or because of tool used to convert the file. It's an interesting experience.

Level 13
I have something interesting to offer on this respect.
No joke on my signature, I work as an English teacher for EF international, and have taught many a Chinese student online.

If the author of this map (or anyone else who speaks Russian, German, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Malaysian, Indonesian, Mandarin or Japanese) wants help with translating or context, I'd be happy to oblige.

Last edited:
Level 4
I don't understand why the story of this campaign related to warcraft universe. And by "related" i mean "butchered". Oh well.
If it was an independent story, I would gladly play it through.

Level 28
Intro: Er... What's with the demons? Are they teaching the class?
Maiev should have a male appearance before the change.

First mission:
The Main Quest message doesn't display anything other than "-". It shows up fine in the quest log.
The bandit hero's name and the zergling are also blank.
The fact that the northern bases are invulnerable should be mentioned. Also they occasionally send far too many troops.
Is there supposed to be an attack at the place you get the ledger? Nothing happened when I picked it up.
The Storm Hammer and Holy Staff don't show their cooldowns.

Third mission:
For the mission's name, "extraction" might be a better term than extrication.
Not sure what "mother school" is.
The same sidequest appears twice in the quest log.

As has been mentioned, I don't see why this is set on Azeroth, it would work perfectly well in an independent setting. It would actually work better, because then there wouldn't be the issue of characters not acting according to their original personalities or the unexplained appearance of Chinese-named characters.

And yes, the dialogue length could use some adapting.

Last edited:
Level 3
I don't understand why the story of this campaign related to warcraft universe. And by "related" i mean "butchered". Oh well.
In the original Chinese version of this campaign each character was given a Chinese name, for example the one use the model of Maiev was named as Guo Huanqi.And it didn't mention Lordaeron at all. I suppose maybe in order to make people who speak English understand it easier, the translator changed the names.

Level 28
Works on 1.28 (or did before today's version).
When loading saved games, maps have no name or description.

Third mission:
Tidal Market and Royal Guard have no tooltips.
Attack waves often come in at the same time.
The orange hero has no name (this has apparently been updated).
Whatever the buff/aura is that keeps you at 0 mana, it both has no tooltip and needs a serious nerf. The level is plenty hard enough without resources.

Level 23
I'd have to agree with @Ner'zull . Sorry.

I do not think you two are familiar with the rating system on Hiveworkshop. You are welcome to vote 1/5 if you think it deserves that score, but you need to provide a well-thought-out explanation for your score.

Otherwise, you are just misleading future players who read the comments in order to gain insight into the quality of the campaign, which is unfair to the campaign creator (Flower Fairy).

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Indeed, part of the Warcraft III story has been badly altered but by no means does this campaign deserve 1 star. It has gameplay value.
Not only is it unfair disdain but it is not even criticism, it's unjust accusation. You have provided no arguments whatsoever except senseless tact. How is one to learn from your inconsiderate one liners?

My review from an earlier upload (last year by a non-authorized user):
Well, this was awkward.

-there's really no reason to butcher Warcraft like that; you can just make your own sort of universe... or at least do a proper blend in with the actual story... also, non-warcraftish names for night elves
-aninamtions freeze after used on units via triggers; you need to set the stand animation afterwardl calculate the timing
-play music through the sound channel using the other play music trigger
-shadowmeld/hide should not be seen during cinematic scenes
-makes no sense why/how the three classmates just appeared out of nowhere asking something only to say goodbye...
-some transmissions run too fast

-why would they follow them if they just wanted Maiev out which he did do, get out!?
-"too much curiosity..." Wha..
-changed unit models for no reason...; the dryad has hero glow; archers too...
-wisps aren't automatically in the mine
-moon wells+fountain of health in the base :D
-build animation looks weird
-curse of shadow remains on one unit not on the area it is cast on; ah... it's actually a modified silence spell; that effect is very annoying; you can't see anything when there are many units affected by it
-the goldmine that's so near the base should be heavily guarded
-units should not be sleeping at night in the middle of the road
-I have to say the scenery is lovely
-I did not yet get to Yafei with the book and the quest was already completed...
-those mercenaries are too powerful and the quest for them is just a walk in the park... not only that it is not defended but even the locaiton where it is is shown
-Arthas is an enemy for no reason?
-Light Wand does not require any mana to use
-Falla has no hero glow and he can be attacked by ground units...
-Storm Hammers has a passive icon; does not say how much mana it requires to cast
-shouldn't the bandits be attacking later on too?
-what are Lordaeron towers doing so near to the bandit camp
-sometimes units are selected during cinematic mode

-wow, not even all abilities researched for the units if not the upgrades too
-creatures sleeping in the middle of the road again
-I suggest not having allies/neutrals the same colour as the player
-how are you supposed to destroy that base when they're rebuilding their ships!? Those stupid naga don't help you unless you drag the enemy to them; well that's what I did and they finally got to the undead base; lucky I had the Light Wand
-heh, destroyed both bases with Maiev and a few naga afterwards and realized there was a path to Furion south of the naga base :D
-undead to the elf base only appear if Maiev comes by
-mines aren't protected well
-there's a text error with the fugitive quest requirements in the quest log after the first two are grayed/completed
-it's too easy to reach the shipwrecked, no danger at all
-"Illidan is out there somewhere" :D
-should only make it so that you need to destroy production facilities and workers, not all buildings
-...there is no reason for anything in this campaign; the demons can just teleport whenever they want wherever and kill you in one shot
-the story is useless and absent as it is a filler and nothing more

-so, what's stopping the demons from just teleporting to Illidan and killing him in an instant?
-train Royal Guards :D? Oh boi, this is gonna be easy, actually super easy with a fountain of health right in their base :D
-why not an orb in the shop :(? Ok found one
-ouch, lumber is scarce
-there are some visual glitches with fx or doodads or something that look like crystals or that transparent infernal which appear on units and look stretched on the screen; or it might be because of the light fx/doodad
-why even enable submerge if there's no water. I wasted resources on it
-King hate et al can be simply killed with air units... It is also pretty weak, just a little more HP than a normal Abomination
-you can rescue elves with Coutls...
-a Runner!? What am I supposed to do with that? They also move slowly... and are Archers but don't attack and have 15 HP...
-enough with fountains of health already...
-untis selected during the meeting with Varimathras
-I think it was not intended but most of my army was present during the battle with Varimathras
-"Let us go" Why? Risk for the lolz?
-Interlude: I don't get it. Weren't the humans allied with the demons!?

-Druid of the Talon and Faerie Dragon's drescriptions are blank. Same with Druid of the Claw
-how would a centaur-like creature be able to mount a hippohryph!?
-Furion is gaining XP from what the allies kill from base to base distance
-Huner Marker isn't correctly positioned in the Academy; also the ability icon looks active not as if passive
-Fountain of Health :(( With all the Tranquility, Rejuvenation and Moon Wells...
-it would have been better to reach them through the red base since it isn't doing much anyways; so you can just attack the orange base instead as it isn't doing much but waiting for the trigger; same with the purple base
-eh, the claw druids can't use Roar in Bear Form
-found out about the crystal fx bug. It appears after destroying the infernal model for some reason. It appears on my units
-why are centaurs living near the red undead base!?
-no idea what's with the rune and toxic stuff
-units selected during the end scene
-interlude: how did Maiev know they were going to Hyjal?

-some of the hero abilities which are passive have active icons
-why are the Furbolgs enemy here?
-oh come on, you have to entangle the gold mine...
-Starfall FX is horrible. You can't see a damn thing on the battlefield
-to be honest, this level is pretty nice but the waves are repetitive
-weird to see neutral hostile units near undead...
-the duke is a woman

-I hate it when spells are not the same as they were in previous levels on heroes... no more Starfall...
-the corrupted buildings have bugged animations; use others, skins, models
-no strength hero, just realized
-meh, I've been to the northern generator the first time but it was invulnerable until I reached the magic wall...
-units selected during vacquire something cinematic scene. Also, what revenge?

-by the way, where's the Asian named chick that turned Maiev into a woman?
-you can defeat the orange undead no problem without the trolls :D
-Maiev can blink over the invulnerable rock chunks
-the blue 10th level zombie has no name and is not classified as undead
-so, what's stoping Archimonde from busting everybody in one-two-three shots?

-Maiev selected during the Arthas Elaine scene; also when reaching the ship; also when meeting the goblins
-Techies have their first spell without a description; these guys are too powerful
-the optional quest isn't optional if you can't pass otherwise...
-spells reset so 2 Avatars of Vengeance :D when meeting Elune

-not a good idea to introduce so many new units in the last level or so far in the campaign
-Mountain Giant has blank description along with the other units I've mentioned before
-avoid using models with hero glow as units; also don't use hero models which you've used for heroes as units...
-you can't see a thing in the Cenarius zone because of that annoying light rays effect/doodad
-where's my Starfall :((? I have to level up for it... There's an error. When she reaches level 10, one spell's third leve still remains and you cannot choose it...
-weapon and armour upgrades do not mention the new units...
-not sure my allies are supposed to send troops to the enemy bases but the teal one did...
-it wouldn't be bad if those three won't come along three more armies; actually it wouldn't be so bad if they didn't have reincarnation infinite times....

-they're attacking too fast and combined (orcs with Arthas+army); I'm not sure I'm playing normal anymore; it was doable; lucky the reinforcements arrived
-while fighting the orcs the cinematic scene started with the arrival of Hyjal heroes; after the scene the enemy units in the base were gone; also, units selected during cinematic mode
-if you buy anything before the reinforcements arrive, when they do, you won't have enough money to train wisps
-you can pass through some doodad walls; use pathing blockers
-doesn't really make sense Sylvanas protecting Muradin's base while leaving hers unprotected
-immensely flat terrain
-you can miss the optional quest if you don't think to move a unit in the village; also, Maiev is moved there even if the hero was on the other side of the map
-Liliann is too weak for 6 heroes (+army)
-waste of time to destroy each and every building; at least Chimaeras do it fast
-no idea what to do with those runes in any level...
-there's an FX which remained on possibly Arthas' death place in the ending scene

-too bad no more xp
-heroes selected during meeting Yafei
-why not try to save him and kill him instead!?
-you have to stop using those light rays; you can't see the battle
-the flesh puppet is weak
-dragging the final boss a bit to the north will leave the rest of the orcs south and they will be attacked during the end scene
Postscriptum: no credits with name mentioning at least if not the resources as well... Also, transmissions run too fast.

Next time, be original, make your own universe if your intention is not to show a story for Warcraft.

Approved.

Last edited:
Level 28
Third level:
Green abomination boss has no name.
The whole level seems unplayable from the start. Attack waves come in at the same time, the only source of healing is in the enemy base, and they send four carrion swarmers at a time with full upgrades just for that final touch of "fuck you personally".

Interlude:
"most complacent student" I think you mean competent? And even then it's not much of a compliment, maybe "you were our finest student".

Fourth level:
One of the centaur khan's tents is Neutral Hostile.
The demon foot prints in the northwest corner don't point in the direction they're moving.
Terrain is too flat.

Interlude:
"Are goals" -> "Our goals"

Fifth level:
When seen from the back, several parts of the big moon well doodad are invisible.

Level 4
I guess i change that vote. @tulee, you guilt-tripped me there. Jokes aside, my bad.
In the original Chinese version of this campaign each character was given a Chinese name, for example the one use the model of Maiev was named as Guo Huanqi.And it didn't mention Lordaeron at all. I suppose maybe in order to make people who speak English understand it easier, the translator changed the names.
So, after all, it IS a original universe, and translation kinda screwed it?
I mean, to be totally sure, i should download the chinese version of warcraft and try to play it through with dictionary.
I have some doubts that i can do that. Oh well.

Level 12
How can that even be called translation then? Someone literally changed what happened and edited the backstory arbitrarily.

As someone who happen to read chinese webnovels (xianxia, xuanhuan, etc), I can't tell you how often I run into this problem where translators take liberties and make the story worse because they think they'll localize it or they thought it was "better" etc... (Common problem with JRPG localizations as well I've heard, though I don't play a lot of them so idk)

Maybe someone should let the original author know that whoever is supposed to translate her map is changing it, and see whether she actually approves of it. (I'd do it, but unfortunately I only know minimal chinese and use chinese <-> english dictionary)

Edit: So to make clear, assuming that the map's lore and story is original and not a fan-fiction, how can the map even be approved before/unless there's explicit approval from the original author to not only translate but also change the lore & story?

Also, the 'translator' is doing a great disservice to the map and the mapmaker. All the warcraft fans who're going to play the map and think that the author is just making some fanfiction instead of an original story would be unfairly discrediting the map & author because of an attempt at localization.

That's also actively against the stated goal of enriching the hive & chinese communities by giving a bad first impression.

Of course, if it actually is a fanfic and it's not that the translator changed anything arbitrarily, or the original author approved of the change, then ignore this post.

Last edited:
Level 23
I understand you were trying to be helpful with your comment, but by revealing the original campaign had chinese names, you will actually cause a large amount of resentment from players who feel that they are being denied the original version.

The name translations were specified requested by the original author ( flower fairy ). I did not ask why she wanted the chinese names translated, but in my opinion, it would have been a big problem for hive workshop campaign players if the names were not translated. It is a well known fact that there is a positive correlation between exposure to a language and the ability to remember names. In Europe, North America, and Australasia (these areas of the world are where most Hiveworkshop players come from if I am not incorrect), the majority of people have very little exposure to chinese language. I am not talking about chinese language that is aimed towards the chinese community in that area.

Assuming the players have had zero exposure to chinese in their life, if you try to make all the names/characters/groups chinese-sounding, the result will be players not knowing what the story is about because they will confuse all the proper noun names. They might finish all 20 missions of the campaign, but if you ask them to name even the main character's name, many people will not know at all. Perhaps this is a different experience for chinese players who play translations of hive workshop campaigns with the english names for characters translated into chinese. If I am not incorrect, people in China will not only start learning english from a very young age, but they can see english everywhere from advertisements to company names. There will be far less issues for them to recognize english sounding names in chinese. There is no way to draw a comparison between this situation to the situation for hive workshop players with a campaign containing chinese-sounding names. This "imbalance" will only change when China (which is the main chinese language country in the world) puts more focus on "soft power" (soft power = media related industries/ non economic power). Otherwise, the majority of non-chinese people will grow up having zero exposure to any chinese names, and they will have immense difficulty distinguishing those names.

Third level:
Green abomination boss has no name.
The whole level seems unplayable from the start. Attack waves come in at the same time, the only source of healing is in the enemy base, and they send four carrion swarmers at a time with full upgrades just for that final touch of "fuck you personally".

Interlude:
"most complacent student" I think you mean competent? And even then it's not much of a compliment, maybe "you were our finest student".

Fourth level:
One of the centaur khan's tents is Neutral Hostile.
The demon foot prints in the northwest corner don't point in the direction they're moving.
Terrain is too flat.

Interlude:
"Are goals" -> "Our goals"

Fifth level:
When seen from the back, several parts of the big moon well doodad are invisible.

Thanks cleavinghammer, I will change the language errors when I have time to get on warcraft. Keep in mind though, I am only changing the translation problems. Also, some of the doodads invisibility might be caused by the 1.29 camera extensions on the left and right side of the screen.

Edit1:
Indeed, part of the Warcraft III story has been badly altered but by no means does this campaign deserve 1 star. It has gameplay value.
Not only is it unfair disdain but it is not even criticism, it's unjust accusation. You have provided no arguments whatsoever except senseless tact. How is one to learn from your inconsiderate one liners?

My review from an earlier upload:

Approved.

Hi Deepstrasz, I know you mentioned "your review from an earlier upload", but would it be possible for you to re-emphasize that your review is the one from the one that was uploaded last year, and not this year? Just incase some people make the mistake that I uploaded the wrong version and that your review is of the current one.

When I was looking through some of the things you wrote, I felt it is unfortunate that review will not reflect the current version, but I understand the hive workshop policy of not re-reviewing maps/campaigns that are deleted and then re-uploaded, or else it would encourage everyone to just delete their maps for a new review.

Edit2:
This is the exact message below for instructions on how I should translate the names. I want to re-emphasize that I agree with the english name translations, since in my opinion, for the average hive workshop player, having chinese-sounding names would be fatal for game experience. Additionally, using the warcraft 3 english names is very natural for the sequel campaign, so I strongly support the english names. If you are not an average hive workshop player (if you have had exposure to the chinese language), please understand that your opinion on this issue is very biased, and the decision for the translation of the names should be based on the wellbeing of the majority of players.

Taken from conversation with 霜野の银狐

The creator of Shadow of Youth has sent me the translation of the names of the main characters as follow:

地名:
魔法行会:达拉然— Dalaran
育才学院:洛丹伦— Lordaeron
破碎之地:外域— Outland
黑色城堡:黑暗神殿— Black Temple
圣树:世界之树 - World tree
风林学院:灰谷 — Ashenvale
爱兰索联盟:暴风城 — Stormwind
湖滨学院:蛮锤矮人 — Wildhammer Clan

主要正面人物:
过欢琪:玛维 Maiev
季颖俐:泰兰德 Tyrande
何弋玲:吉安娜 Jaina
姜澜:珊蒂斯 Shandris
闫雨:玛法里奥 Malfuion
翁家宸:伊利丹 Illidan

主要反面人物:
校长:阿克蒙德 Archimonde
王祥英: 巴纳泽尔 Balnazzar
谈丽娟: 玛诺洛斯 Mannoroth
奥拉德: 卡加斯 Kargath Bladefist
冯英杰:法理玛瑟斯 Varimathras

序幕:
诺泽斯:麦迪文 Medivh
麦维:MaiWei
何晓树:直接这么翻译吧

第一关:
罗纳德: 法库雷斯特公爵 Lord Falconcrest
弗拉: 弗斯塔德-蛮锤 Falstad Wildhammer
吕岱云:随便抽个炼金术师的名字
周颖杰:阿尔萨斯 Arthas

第二关:

第三关:

插曲:
代宗杰:乌瑟尔 uther
张子彦: Isillien

第四关:

第五关:
埃历桑德拉(角落里的那个npc):随便取个名字吧

第六关:
奈洛尔: 萨维斯 Xavius

第七关:
诺尔:洛克汗 Rokhan
温迪戈:就这么翻译

第八关:
威尔:直接这么翻译吧
华尔琪: valkyire
张玉明:加兹鲁维 Gazlowe

第九关:

第十关:
黄若楠:希尔瓦娜斯 Sylvanas
李靖: 穆拉丁 Muradin

第十一关:
罗札特:卡扎克 Kazzak

and the English names are what she want to be shown in the English version.

Last edited:
Level 12
The name translations were specified requested by the original author ( flower fairy ). I did not ask why she wanted the chinese names translated, but in my opinion, it would have been a big problem for hive workshop campaign players if the names were not translated. It is a well known fact that there is a positive correlation between exposure to a language and the ability to remember names. In Europe, North America, and Australasia (these areas of the world are where most Hiveworkshop players come from if I am not incorrect), the majority of people have very little exposure to chinese language. I am not talking about chinese language that is aimed towards the chinese community in that area.
So are the names translated or not?

For the original chinese names I'm assuming they're absolutely not, since to 'translate' them would either mean pinyin (transliteration) or to translate the meaning of the characters, so this part is irrelevant (though personally I don't think people would have that much of a problem with pinyin, but I might be biased since I read chinese fantasy novels, but at the same time it's not like I'm the only one doing that either and there's a big enough market for chinese webnovels in the western world for the largest Chinese webnovel site Qidian to create Qidian International. And there's previously been, and still are, a lot of fantranslations of novels.)

Anyway... So were the names like Maiev, Jaina, etc. translations? Or I guess were those characters' names translated from English to Chinese in the original map, and then "translated" back into English, or are they completely new?

Also, you do say that the author wanted the names translated into English, and I'll take your word for it, but you haven't clarified whether they're actually translated or not.

There's a pretty big difference between translating and simply changing the names to English ones, especially since the English names chosen are existing ones in warcraft lore...

Edit: So I got pmed, well technically I was given reputation with a message attached, (by tulee) that it was the author's wish to change the names as they are.

Edit 2: So there's a list of the original chinese names and what the original author wanted them to be changed to.

I got to say that imo it's a terrible mistake that will make fans of the original lore upset. As clearly it wasn't a fanfic but a completely original story with original characters after all...

Last edited:
Level 28
I am only changing the translation problems

I know, but as you said there might be a chance the original maker comes along and sees them. And who knows, be so inspired by their brilliance they immediately update the campaign.

Since the language / name thing seems to be a major sticking point, I suggest that you explain the situation in the top post in the box marked "important". It might reduce the amount of complaining-explaining in the future.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Hi Deepstrasz, I know you mentioned "your review from an earlier upload", but would it be possible for you to re-emphasize that your review is the one from the one that was uploaded last year, and not this year? Just incase some people make the mistake that I uploaded the wrong version and that your review is of the current one.
Done.
and the English names are what she want to be shown in the English version.
Listen, I'm all for what you've said, really. BUT, that's no reason to not just choose some random English names like Tina and Joe in Demonic Education Land instead of "unwillingly" playing pranks on the Warcraft universe. Not only that, some Chinese names mean something. So the author could have literally translated those into English, at least partially.
So, honestly, I suggest the author do another "translation", a proper one this time. If not, I don't want to hear another word when people criticize the current decision.

Level 12
Ok, so I've played a bit, and I'll continue to update this post as I finish more of the missions. (If I wait too long I might forget what I wanted to say about previous missions.)

About the cinematics in the beginning... I honestly don't really get what the plot or story is. So "Maiev" is turned from a boy to a girl because of some reason, women are more powerful or something? I didn't quite get what the goal was.

And then the whole betrayed thing and how it's a conspiracy... Eh what was the conspiracy? I really felt like there were missing information because idk what was going on...

Anyway... Gameplay is what matters in the end, so I don't really care that much.

I'm playing on normal difficulty, and I generally don't play melee/rts kind of maps in wc3 so I'm pretty bad at the regular game. Keep that in mind.

The first mission:

• Very difficult and a bit confusing on what the objective was (I knew I were supposed to get the boats from the bandits to escape, but still wasn't 100% sure how to go about it.)
  • I kept losing and restarting, which made me aware of how you can't skip the very long cinematic in the beginning. After the third time I saved the game right after the cinematic so I wouldn't have to wait 5ish minutes to watch the same cinematic over and over again.
  • Maybe this is just because I'm generally not a melee player, but it would be nice if the wisps entered in the gold mine at the start of the game automatically, and not being able to zoom out is also pretty annoying imo.
  • At first I thought the AIs seemed kinda "smart", and I do like how the allied AI ping where they're going to attack, but except for in the beginning the AI wouldn't help me defend on the left or middle sides of our base.
  • For some reason the AI kept attacking the "Lordaeron" base with invulnerable towers, and kinda tricked me into attacking there as well since I didn't know the towers were invulnerable and kinda forgot about the bandit camp.
  • The enemy AI attack waves acts quite strange, not sure how to explain... They run back and forth a lot.
  • There's a lot of debuffs, I struggled until I found out that Maiev's spirits of vengences could dispel debuffs.
  • The spirits of vengence don't have any spell animation so while they cast heal they just stand there, also why do they even have heal?
  • Maiev's Q is kinda op, much better than E which does almost nothing.

The second mission:

• Maybe it should say "set(ting) out to sea" instead of "putting out to sea"
  • This mission was comparatively much easier than the first one, especially since you can build up your base before meeting with "Illidan", so the enemy won't attack you.
  • I'm really not a fan of how there were invisible walls (pathing blockers) on the way to the camp you're supposed to rescue, there should at least be some visible indicator to show that the way is blocked. Maybe there could also be a text message given to the player if you enter the area before entering Illidan's base.
  • Also not a fan of the invulnerable towers without any indicator.
  • Also, I avoided the Naga base at first because I assumed that it was an enemy base...
  • After you get a base you get a Hero Altar and wisps can also build Hero Altars, so I didn't think that the "Maiev must survive" objective would be failed if she was killed. If you just lose and can't revive her, then what's the point of having altars? The altar you get should be removed, and wisps should not be able to build altars either. (Or the objective should disappear after you get the base, and honestly how could you ever die to the creeps?) I had to replay the mission even though I would've won easily on the first try because I just sent all units to attack move because I didn't think it would matter if she died... (p.s. after I wrote this I thought to check the mission again, and I noticed that it says "(completed)" and the objective is greyed out, so presumably it's a bug and you're not supposed to lose if Maiev dies after having a base.)
  • You don't share vision with Illidan, but still get messages about him being under attack etc. Also, missiles/projectiles from auto attacks still show through fog of war where the Naga is fighting. It should probably be changed so that Illidan share vision with the player after you meet with him.
The third mission: (To be updated after I complete it)

• On the loading screen for the 3rd mission it says: "When Illidan found out... ...his own mother school, he immediately lead a group to go rescue him..."
    • Past tense, it should say "led" instead of "lead".
    • either remove "go" from "group to go rescue" or change it to "go and".
    • Assuming that Maiev isn't male anymore, it should say "her" instead of "him", this is written in 3rd person and the player is supposed to be aware that Maiev isn't a man anymore, even if Illidan isn't.
  • Placeholder for later

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
@Death Adder I've also played on Normal and the only mission I actually thought was difficult was later on where you get attacked from the south by enemy superheroes and their armies. A previous level was a bit hard but quite doable. I suggest you try Easy if the campaign allows it if you're not too experienced with RTS games.
and not being able to zoom out is also pretty annoying imo.
You mean, more than the original game's standard camera? Well, I guess, that'd be a bonus and frankly, the armies aren't that large to make you unable to see properly. Plus, with the newer patch, the screen is wider.
The enemy AI attack waves acts quite strange, not sure how to explain... They run back and forth a lot.
I don't know if the AI was programmed more than using the AI Editor.
Maybe it should say "set(ting) out to sea" instead of "putting out to sea"
put out
To extinguish: put out a fire.
2. Nautical To leave, as a port or harbor; depart.
put out
then what's the point of having altars?
I don't remember if it was required for higher tier upgrades or not.

Last edited:
Level 12
The gender change is explained by female elves being physically stronger than males (at least that's the impression I got). Also the quest is from Illidan's point of view, who doesn't know about the change yet.
It's fine when Illidan is talking, but on the loading screen it's 3rd person.

put out
To extinguish: put out a fire.
2. Nautical To leave, as a port or harbor; depart.
put out
Learnt something new.

Why in the name of all that is good and holy, would they choose to use names from warcraft lore.

It completely ruins any immersion one might have in the campaign's lore.

I honestly thought the maps was a joke or a terrible fanfic, until i read the comment section. It mostly just reminds me of terrible "engrish" memes:

220.jpg

Last edited:
Level 28
Malfurion's abilities should use default hotkeys since they're the same.
Institute and the lower-tier upgrades should be available from the start.

Fifth mission:
The side quest never triggered.
Final cutscene: "shatter the Archimonde's" -> "shatter Archimonde's"

Sixth mission:
Name should probably be "Darkness Prevails".
Ultravision doesn't seem to be researched.
It's possible to trigger the bossfight without fighting the red demons by sending a crow druid into the triggering region. And given that we're supposed to take out a base with advanced death towers with no artillery, this is definitely the better strategy.

Seventh mission:
The abomination monster in the second group of enemies (it and three zombies) has no name.
Build Troll Barracks has no tooltip.
"Construct Troll Hut (O)" tooltip should be "Build Troll Hut", with the hotkey in Troll (hotkey doesn't work currently).
Troll Huts don't get the spikes upgrade.
Wen Dige's line can trigger after his death.
Wen and Rokhan's dialogue: "your will breathe" -> "you will breathe"
The blue zombie in the southeast has no name.
Shadow priest tooltip: "magic unit" -> "spellcaster"
Enemy attack waves sometimes destroy a single building and then go away.
Terrain has some locations with no tile variation.
The final cinematic could use better timing, as some sentences and some actions take too long.

Interlude:
Valkyire-> Valkyrie (unless that really is supposed to be her name)
gold polar region -> cold polar region

Eighth mission:
"get entangled with" would be better as "fight with you", I think.
Gazlowe: "Yea" -> "Yeah"
Goblin Engineer's Acid Bomb has no tooltip.
The myosotis is also known as a forget-me-not, the runestone should mention that.

Ninth mission:
The runestone menu reads "Please choose the incorrect option".
The Iris option is the only correct one (and the runstone says it's correct), but the one counted as correct is Myosotis.
After choosing the correct answer, messages from Runestone are from "Runestone!"
"is a eternal memories" -> not really sure, maybe "is for eternal memories?" Also, it says eternal memories are associated with the Iris instead of the Myosotis.
"and drop them" -> "and place them"
Potion of Divinity has no tooltip.
The undead start rebuilding their bases after you destroy them with the runestone's plan.

Level 3
So are the names translated or not?

For the original chinese names I'm assuming they're absolutely not, since to 'translate' them would either mean pinyin (transliteration) or to translate the meaning of the characters, so this part is irrelevant (though personally I don't think people would have that much of a problem with pinyin, but I might be biased since I read chinese fantasy novels, but at the same time it's not like I'm the only one doing that either and there's a big enough market for chinese webnovels in the western world for the largest Chinese webnovel site Qidian to create Qidian International. And there's previously been, and still are, a lot of fantranslations of novels.)

Anyway... So were the names like Maiev, Jaina, etc. translations? Or I guess were those characters' names translated from English to Chinese in the original map, and then "translated" back into English, or are they completely new?

Also, you do say that the author wanted the names translated into English, and I'll take your word for it, but you haven't clarified whether they're actually translated or not.

There's a pretty big difference between translating and simply changing the names to English ones, especially since the English names chosen are existing ones in warcraft lore...

Edit: So I got pmed, well technically I was given reputation with a message attached, (by tulee) that it was the author's wish to change the names as they are.

Edit 2: So there's a list of the original chinese names and what the original author wanted them to be changed to.

I got to say that imo it's a terrible mistake that will make fans of the original lore upset. As clearly it wasn't a fanfic but a completely original story with original characters after all...
The name “Maiev”'s official Chinese translate in Chinese version of Warcraft 3 is 玛维(ma wei),and the author give her a brand new name 过欢琪(Guo Huanqi). Same with Jaina, officially is 吉安娜(ji an na), changed to 何弋玲(He Yiling). You can now reveiw the list at #23 to understand better.

Level 3
Isn't one of the minor characters named Ma Wei (or Mai Wei)? The one married to Rhonin, I think.

Out of curiosity, are Pandaren names changed in the official translation? Like, Chen Stormstout becomes Chen [Storm] [Alcohol]?
The official translation of Chen Stormstout is “陈 风暴烈酒”(Chen Fengbaoliejiu;fengbao:风暴,liejiu:烈酒),but there is another version that call him 陈魁峰(Chen Kuifeng),which I personally don't know why.

Level 23
Malfurion's abilities should use default hotkeys since they're the same.
Institute and the lower-tier upgrades should be available from the start.

Fifth mission:
The side quest never triggered.
Final cutscene: "shatter the Archimonde's" -> "shatter Archimonde's"

Sixth mission:
Name should probably be "Darkness Prevails".
Ultravision doesn't seem to be researched.
It's possible to trigger the bossfight without fighting the red demons by sending a crow druid into the triggering region. And given that we're supposed to take out a base with advanced death towers with no artillery, this is definitely the better strategy.

Seventh mission:
The abomination monster in the second group of enemies (it and three zombies) has no name.
Build Troll Barracks has no tooltip.
"Construct Troll Hut (O)" tooltip should be "Build Troll Hut", with the hotkey in Troll (hotkey doesn't work currently).
Troll Huts don't get the spikes upgrade.
Wen Dige's line can trigger after his death.
Wen and Rokhan's dialogue: "your will breathe" -> "you will breathe"
The blue zombie in the southeast has no name.
Shadow priest tooltip: "magic unit" -> "spellcaster"
Enemy attack waves sometimes destroy a single building and then go away.
Terrain has some locations with no tile variation.
The final cinematic could use better timing, as some sentences and some actions take too long.

Interlude:
Valkyire-> Valkyrie (unless that really is supposed to be her name)
gold polar region -> cold polar region

Eighth mission:
"get entangled with" would be better as "fight with you", I think.
Gazlowe: "Yea" -> "Yeah"
Goblin Engineer's Acid Bomb has no tooltip.
The myosotis is also known as a forget-me-not, the runestone should mention that.

Ninth mission:
The runestone menu reads "Please choose the incorrect option".
The Iris option is the only correct one (and the runstone says it's correct), but the one counted as correct is Myosotis.
After choosing the correct answer, messages from Runestone are from "Runestone!"
"is a eternal memories" -> not really sure, maybe "is for eternal memories?" Also, it says eternal memories are associated with the Iris instead of the Myosotis.
"and drop them" -> "and place them"
Potion of Divinity has no tooltip.
The undead start rebuilding their bases after you destroy them with the runestone's plan.

I know I am repeating myself, but I really appreciate your detailed review concerning the spelling/grammar stuff, Cleave. All the stuff you have mentioned up to mission 9 has been fixed. Looking forward to your report on the translation errors for the last 3 chapters.
Edit: I cannot post the revised version until the weekend, so you will not find the changes on the current uploaded version.

Level 28
Night Elf Institute upgrades all use the same hotkeys (R, M, D, G).

Ninth mission:
Fight with the Keeper ghost: a buff has no text (it looks like the Mana Shield icon, but red). Also, maybe find a better term than "leader".
... So the demon leaders seem to have a three-second cooldown for their reincarnations.
The ending cutscene triggered with more than six minutes remaining, the timer staying continuing to go down during the cutscene.

Maybe use "of use to me/useful to me" instead of "utility value".

Tenth mission:
Sylvanas' first and third abilities have no text, Muradin's abilities have tooltips but no names.
The quest-giving villager at the west end of the map has no name (the cutscene calls him the village leader).
Orc ranged unit has no name.
Gold mine isn't entangled when you get it. Also, 5000 gold? Seriously?
Raised Dark Minions and Charmed units don't transfer to Sylvanas.
Infernal Juggernauts don't have names.
Brown and orange bases attack at the same time. Four Infernal Juggernauts and Infernals?
Black Mouse doesn't have a name. Also, the runestone item's tooltip says it restores HP and mana when used, but it can't be clicked.
Bloody Throat might be a better name for the orc clans. They also both use the same name.

Eleventh mission:
Orb of Vengeance's tooltip is now missing.
A message reads "You can only train 6 units", which is not the case.

Last edited:
Level 5
Why is Maiev's attack acting like a ranged attack yet is still considered melee?

Also, comparing this reupload to the previous lonely nightstar, this is infinitely better. Storywise however, its kinda hard to take in, gameplay wise its really hard at some parts but enjoyable nevertheless. Only remaining things that bother me are lack of names of certain enemies.

Level 28
Easter egg runestone boosts stats, but this doesn't appear in the description.

Eleventh mission:
Lots of empty inaccessible spaces.
Fel orc shamans, giant frost wyrm (middle western edge of the map), doom guard hero (named Kazzak in the cutscene, and his level floats around him), abomination hero have no names.
The subtitles for Kargath's "Lok-Tar Ogar" and "Life for Life" lines are mixed up.
Kargath is invulnerable at the start of the bossfight.
Another schizophrenic one. The part before the bossfight didn't even need units (they're more liable to get themselves Charmed anyway), while the bossfight needs them as meatshields at best while the heroes get the hell away.

Epilogue
"bodies will fester before my vengeance"- not sure what that means.
I think it should be "changed my gender" rather than "change my sex" (I know it's the same thing, but it seems better-suited to the situation).
After everyone is done talking, the text is missing.

Post-epilogue
All that appears on the loading screen is "Esc".
I assume these are the credits, the only thing that show up are numbers and "bug".

Overall:
The plot is interesting, but again, it'd be a lot better without the Warcraft references.
Difficulty is badly done, as it mostly relies on swamping the player.
Cutscenes are unskippable.
Waiting for the sequel.

Also: About the character descriptions up there, you might want to remove the spoilery parts. How is Tyrande cowardly?

Last edited: