Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Role Playing Game] The Land of Valenia

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by Donach, Nov 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Donach

Donach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I've written you on the list.

Thanks for the support.

2. Paganini

Paganini

Resources:
    Resources:
    I've been thinking a bit about the World PvP Event

• Random Event doesn't make much sense (e.g.: you're in a dungeon)
    • Chosen Event in normal world = problems with making teams, but doable
    • it would be like battleground

So I came to the conclusion, that it would be nice if you have a symmetric map, in which you battle in two (or more teams) to defeat each other. It's nothing special. But before the battle begins, you can choose one (or maybe more) henchman, which helps you in battle (dps, heal, tank). With more PvP points you can buy mercs with other abilities and stuff for one fight e.g..

I hope you like it. I think that's not revolutionary, but in my opinion it's a quite neat addition to PvP.

3. Donach

Donach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I've updated the progress info, info about poster - I may do some after I finish the map, no time for it now.

I've also added some quick facts from the map making and put them at the end of first post so if you're eager to know, ie. how many quests or items will be at BETA release, go check them!

4. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Re-opened by request from author.

5. Donach

Donach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hello everyone!
    I have kinda abandoned this project few years ago. However, I kept all the data and now has come time to continue and finish, what I started!

Firstly, I have seen there are many things done wrong in the map and will have to fix them before release.

Secondly, I have decided to release ALPHA version of the map. It will be cut down to only few hours of gameplay to give you the idea, what the map will look like throughout the whole game.
    This will involve 1st chain quest, which will lead you through first area and to 1st class - expected level after finishing this chain is 20-25.
    There will also be only 1 dungeon available at the moment, which will have to do something with the quests in the chain.

As it usually is, I would be glad if there are some testers, which would like to try my map. I believe that in 2 - 3 weeks there should be all quests done (and maybe items too, but those will take a lot of time), and 0.1 Alpha could be released for testing.

When all bugs are taken care of, and version will "jump" to 1.0 Alpha, I shall release to this thread (and probably Epicwar), and begin testing it and taking feedback.

If there will be demand for the map, I shall continue making it! - don't forget this should be map closely related by gameplay to Twilight's Eve, which surprisingly, is still played on BNet/AntGaming!

All in all, I hope you will enjoy this map. It is not one of the best and highly-professional made (also mostly in GUI only), but since I love TEVE, I hope this map to be it's "successor" for people like me, who already know every single bit of the TEVE map.

PS: Big thanks to RALLE, for re-opening this thread.

6. Donach

Donach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Alright, how about a quick sneak-peak how the map is going!

I'm currently focused on quests, which there will be 12 or 13 at start, and finishing and polishing the town, making it "alive" and so on...
    - currently, there are more than half quests done

Next, I must rewrite triggers for the dungeon, so it's easy-to-use experience, but that won't be matter of a long time, hopefully.

Another thing to manage will be new Save/Load system, since I used AceHart's one at first, but as many people suggested, it's buggy and outdated, so I will be using CodeGen, which suits my needs pretty well.

Lastly, one of things remaining, are the items. Those will take a pretty long time I suppose, so only basic items will be introduced in first release, and those should do just enough to take you through the first chain line story!

To make the map smaller, I have deleted some unused imports, more may go away, together with resizing the map to only the playable area, but don't worry, all the other work is saved, and I can enlarge it whenever I want to.

That's it for now, I'll keep you updated on how the map is progressing, so stay tuned for the release, which should be in matter of months (which unfortunately depends on so many things right now, I don't want to make any false promises).

7. Avahor

Avahor

Resources:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hi mate:
    Based on your screenshots, I strongly recommend you do not use villager woman model as first character.
    That was the most boring experience that I found playing TEVE...

good luck with ur project!

8. Donach

Donach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hello,
    thank you for your objection, any ideas, what should I replace it with?

9. Avahor

Avahor

Resources:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    you could use night elf runner model as novice character. or elven farmer (troll :ogre_hurrhurr:).

10. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Opened.

11. Donach

Donach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hello Hive!
    Long time no see...

I have returned to development of my TLoV ORPG after long 2 years, where the project was left unattended - originally starting at 2012 (wow)!!!

Right now, I have quite some spare time so I decided to finally "put this to end", meaning, I want to push to a release ASAP.
    My current target is by end of this or next week.
    This will of course impact the amount of content there will be available.

There will be only 2 Classes available at start, around 12 quests, one dungeon. To help you in going through the figths will be 29 unique items, from which you can have "equipped" up to 11 due to my custom Equipment System (which undergo a lots of changes during past days actually, turning it into JASS/GUI in the best aspects so far).

If there is extensive support and demand for more content, I have a LOTS of stuff in my drawer, as the current content is, I'd say, around 15% of what I have ready for the map in total (which can just still go up...).

So stay tuned, as whenever I feel the first Alpha should be aired, I will put it here, to Epic War and also start hosting it on Europe realm - hope I'll find at least few people to play it with :).

12. Donach

Donach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hey guys!
    Just to give you a quick update, whole past week I've been working, polishing and fixing bugs.
    I also introduced another quests, which was originally intended, however I was worried for it to be too hard to deploy - eventually didn't take that long...
    Lots of bugs were found when testing in multiplayer (since most testing so far was done in singleplayer), all quests are now working as intended, save/load is working well etc.

Right now, I have only few more things to test before releasing first Alpha version!

Stay tuned as the release is right behind the door!

13. Donach

Donach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The day has finally come!

Just today, I was trying to do final changes and now, I am uploding the map to public!
    Thanks for anybody interested in this quite old project, which finally reached "final stage" of the Alpha release!

If you will enjoy the map, have suggestions, find bug or want to give feedback, feel free to contact me via Hive or on email tlovrpg@gmail.com or land.of.valenia@gmail.com.
    Here is the map for downloading: The Land of Valenia ORPG v0.1.0a

Thanks anyone still watching this thread!

14. Wareditor

Wareditor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Interesting to see a 2011 project released. I am gonna try it out and edit this post.

EDIT:
    Well I was expecting something big as this project is so old but I can't hide the fact that I am disappointed. Looks like something that has been made back in the days. It lacks a lot polish.
    Here are the notes I took while playing for around 25 minutes :

-Can't clear the screen of messages, so if you type -help, you are gonna get stuck with a badly printed message for quite a while.
    -Quest system is working but I was never clearly told that I should rightclick on npc to finish quests. Good thing I played TEVE.
    -The whole copper, silver and gold thing is unnecessary. Just use one currency. When you will need a new one, add it then.
    -Spell description lack polishing. They aren't clear and highlighting isn't used well.
    -The first town is just too big and filled with unnecessary things. it could be a lot better. Make it smaller, make it more interesting visually and reduce its size so the player doesn't run around for 5 minutes looking for the first area. Later towns can be big but there is no point making the first one big because at this point the player want just to start the game and progress. I understand that this point is debatable.
    -Experience and Copper tags stack on each other. You should just make them appear on the dead units and not on the hero.
    -The forest look better than the town but there is no real level design here. Trolls will swarm you in a few seconds and from what I have seen the forest is just cramped with them. So whatever you do, you will just face 10 trolls at once. I am not saying its difficult but that you could just have made a square and spawned trolls every seconds and it would have made the same effect. Why make a huge forest if it's the same thing for the whole zone.
    -My stun AOE was affecting guards. It's funny.
    -I would get more experience form baby trolls than from high trolls. The experience system seems to be quite random.
    -The game starts too slow. I was grinding the baby quest way too long. But I guess it's the style of the map

So I would suggest, working over this alpha and polish it a lot. There is a good base here and can make it work.

orpgtest01.PNG

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  15. Donach

Donach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Hello,
    Firstly, many thanks for trying it out!
    I'm not sure I mentioned it, however, the project was abandoned for like 98% of the time between 2011 and now... I know it's not ideal, as many things done in 2011/12 were kept and never touched again, just made work... (including town design, that is too quite old...)

Your comments are valid and thank you very much for such a great summary, will help me a lot.

About the swarming - there is some issue with Threat system I am using (not my own), as this should NOT happen. I have noticed it is working fine at start, however, it gets worse and worse...
    About experience - the system is myself made, so it's not perfect at the moment :). Exp and Bounty given IS random - however, based on your finding, I may make it little bit less random :) (there are several variables which are counted in it...)
    The problem of floating text showing on creep is that the system makes sure anybody who did damage to the unit gets rewarded. Now here would be good time to use "GetLocalPlayer", however, it seemed to always lead to desync, even though I was able to make it work for about of minute of killing...

Thank you again, everything is noted!

16. robizeratul

robizeratul

Resources:
    Resources:
    Played this again, I see a lot of potential if you stick by it!

Need any help with items,heroes,skills etc? would love to help honestly, at least as ideas and testing goes...don't know anything about the map editor

17. Donach

Donach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I could always use some help!
    Do you have a skype or any other communication program? we can talk more there...

18. Donach

Donach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  19. Donach

Donach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Weekly Update:
    I have decided to provide some weekly updates here and on the Discord channel to inform you guys for any on-going progress.
    There has been quite a twist in the past week. I have gathered with robizeratul and since our vision was pretty much the same for the project, we have decided to give it a try and we are reworking the TLoV.

We are sincerely hoping this rework of certain mechanics will lead to better and more enjoyable gameplay, as the current state, as poited by many, is far from perfect.
    Since we're both "old-school" WC3 RPG fans, we played many great games (Few coming to mind - TKoK, TBR, Defiance, TEVE,...) and each had it's own special magic in it, there was always something annoying on each of them.
    Another big downside of such mentioned RPGs (except TBR) is, there is no on-going development - the scene is smaller, unfortunately. However, this is actually certain advantage, which we want to use in order to bring you new RPG with something from each RPG we played, and hopefully new experience nowhere found.

I'd say we are not aiming to be better, more complex, have more custom stuff or super-duper beautiful self-written spells than any of the mentioned RPGs.
    However, what we can and want to provide is our experience with various RPGs, merged together into one and also provide still on-going development.

Stay tuned for more updates, pictures from testing and more!

20. Donach

Donach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Two-week update:
    Hello everybody,
    So, the work is still going on. Right now, new heroes are being worked on, each having its own unique, mostly scripted, abilities.
    Current work is focused on Fire Mage, which will be the one of first three characters to play with.
    Several new systems are being implemented also. There was no Damage Detection system yet, and system for Casting Bars.
    Inventory system is also being reworked quite considerably.

Whenever the Fire Mage is ready, we will provide some pictures of him in action!

Stay tuned!