• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] The Invasion of Kalimdor: Revamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Hello and welcome to the forum post about a small project I'm tinkering with in my free time: The Invasion of Kalimdor: Revamp.

The main idea of this project is to spice up the original Reign of Chaos orc campaign with not only changes to the missions themselves but also adding in a strategic layer of choosing new unit types and compositions as well as unique upgrades and abilities.

Inspired by the vanilla SC2 campaigns such as Wings of Liberty and Legacy of the Void, you will be able to visit your camp before you start each mission. In this camp you will be able to choose one of several variations for each of your units, such as the orcish Grunt, troll Gladiator or the tauren Brave. As you progress through the campaign you will unlock more and more unit types and variations to choose from.

Another core part is upgrades, completing a map will reward you with gold you can spend to improve your army. You can also complete bonus objectives to receive even more gold. Upgrades range from giving your melee unit choice +100 bonus hitpoints to unlocking new units and structures such as the Goblin Missile Tower and Pack Kodo.

Hopefully this project interests you enough to give it a try.

Thanks for reading!

Requires the latest Reforged patch -> 1.32.9.16589

Credits for models: Ujisama Hojo, MadMax, levigeorge1617, Mister_Haudrauf, loktar, General Frank, FrIkY, NO_exe, Tauer, Pyritie, Mythic, Hayate, supertoinkz, Cuore, JesusHipster, apaka, Wandering Soul, AndrewOverload519, Sellenisko, Lord_T. Please let me know if I used one of your models and missed crediting you!

New version 1.1.2 released on 22 March 2021.

Fixed a missing texture bug for the poacher in the final mission as well as an invisible infernal bug alongside a bunch of balance changes -> version 1.1.2

Attachments

• TheInvasionOfKalimdorRevampedVersion1.1.2.zip
    92.4 MB · Views: 7,300
Last edited:
Level 23
upload_2020-10-30_0-31-3.png

Quote from Lord Deepstrasz: Map Restoration Guild!

Level 23
Well, this idea is pretty cool and a creative twist to something old.
The OP went from making a unique custom campaign last year, to an edit of the blizzard campaign this year.
[Campaign] - The Remnants
That is basically de-evolution, like going from humans back to monkeys.

I wish him good luck regardless of what he makes though.

Level 17
The OP went from making a unique custom campaign last year, to an edit of the blizzard campaign this year.
[Campaign] - The Remnants
That is basically de-evolution, like going from humans back to monkeys.

I wish him good luck regardless of what he makes though.
This is actually just an in-between project that I'm making for fun while taking a break from my main project which is a custom campaign that's already 80% done which I don't want to release until there's an easier way of playing custom campaigns ->

The Remnants I actually very nearly finished but lost I my computer + majority of my files a while back including all the maps except the first three which put that one on the back burner for now although I'm interested in finishing it.

Also yes this is an edited version of the reign of chaos campaign but I am also adding in 3 new missions plus alterations to the story to both give more content and to tie up some plot holes (such as what Stonetalon chasm actually is, what happened to the Fel Well, etc)

Level 17
Quick update:
Missions 1-6 have been 90% completed with the rest at about 75%
Below is a quick summary of the main unit variations you can choose excluding the Demi Heroes. Any ideas would be very welcome.

Unit Variations:

-BARRACKS-

--Melee Units:--

Grunt - Tough frontline fighter that balances cost with stats. Can learn the Heavy Armor ability to reduce all incoming damage by 5.

Gladiator - Crafty Troll frontliners that costs less and can be trained quickly but have less hitpoints and damage. Can learn the Evasion ability to gain a 25% chance to dodge an enemy attack

Warriros - High damage Warsong units with greatly reduced health but much higher damage. Can learn the Crititcal Strike abilty to have a 25% chance to deal 1.5 times damage to an enemy.

Brave - Heavy Tauren warrior with much higher stats at a much higher cost. Can learn the Ancestral Strength ability to increase their hitpoints.

--Ranged Units:--

Axethrower - Medium range unit that counter ranged units. Deals normal damage. Can learn the Sundering Axes ability to reduce enemy armor by 2 for 5 seconds.

Headhunter - Far ranged heavy damage dealer that excels at backline support. Can learn the Hunting Spears ability to gain +10 attack damage.

Spearthrower - High defense and versatile ranged fighter. Can learn the Defend ability to reduce piercing damage.

Hunter - High damage but high cost backliner. Can learn the Planestrider ability to gain 25% increased attack and movement speed.

--Siege Units:--

Catapult - Reliable siege unit with no minimum range. Can learn the burning oil ability to light the ground on fire.

Demolisher - Low hitpoints but high range siege unit. Can learn the Salvage ability to refund some resources upon death.

Siegemaster - Organic melee range warrior that deals siege damage. Can learn the Tough Hide ability to reduce incoming damage by 12.

4th - TBA

SPIRIT LODGE

--Support Casters:--

Shaman - Versatile caster that can both debuff and buff allied units. Can learn Purge, Earth Shield and Bloodlust.

Shadow Priest - Shadowy caster that excels at debuffing enemy units. Can learn the Curse, Unholy Frenzy and Soul Burn abilities.

Spirit Walker - Powerful caster that has potent healing abilities. Can learn Healing Wave, Spirit Link and Resurrection.

--Assault Casters:--

Warlock - Strong damage caster that can summon additional units. Can learn Firebolt, Fire Shield and Summon Fel Stalker.

Witch Doctor - Hybrid support and assault caster that can summon wards to change the tide of battle. Can learn Serpent Ward, Stasis Ward and Healing Ward.

War Priest - Heavy melee caster that supports their allies in battle. Abilities - TBA

BEASTIARY

--Cavalry Units:--

Destroyer - Heavy cavalry unit that excels in the frontline: Can learn Demolish to deal double damage to buildings.

Scout - Fast and light cavalry unit that excels at raiding and scouting. Can learn Ensnare to snare enemy units or pull air units to the ground.

Poacher - Medium ranged cavalry unit that can support the frontline. Can learn the Envenomed Spears ability to deal damage to enemies over time.

4th - TBA

--Air Units:--

Wind Rider - Fast flying ranged unit that can assassinate enemies. Can learn the Shadow Glide ability to go invisible and deal increased damage.

Batrider - Slow siege flying unit that can use Unstable Concoction to damage enemy air units. Can learn the Liquid Fire ability to light enemy buildings on fire.

Elder - Flying unique caster unit that benefits from both Support and Assault Caster upgrades. Can learn Mystic Chains, Cloud and Monsoon.

4th - TBA

TOTEM

--Ultimate Units:--

Warlord - Supporting warrior that increases the attack damage of nearby allies. Can learn the Warcry ability.

Champion - Heavy frontline warrior that has very high stats but very high cost. Can learn the Pulverise ability.

3rd - TBA

And with a new teaser ability for the new map 5:

Level 17
With 7/9 maps being completable as well as their accompanying interludes I thought I'd release them here for people to try and give feedback. Maps are still being polished so expect some bugs or glitches though there shouldn't be anything major. Once the option to use custom campaigns get added into Reforged I'll put all the maps in a campaign file but for now they unfortunately need to be played map by map. Enjoy!

Attachments

• RevampedOrc.zip
    55.1 MB · Views: 286
Level 21

I'm really disappointed in such an unnecessary response to anyone's project. You suggested I play The Lonely Nightstar, which is an entirely "original" campaign I guess, yet it also reuses a whole ton of existing things from Warcraft 3. Meanwhile, this project looks like it offers some new systems that seem at least mildly fresh and interesting. My point is you should check yourself a bit when it comes to judging reused existing ideas when you're pushing a project that does it too and in much worse, ultra-cringe ways. Further, what is there to gain by dissuading anyone in this circumstance?

That's neither here nor there though, I really came here originally to bump this project because I dabbled with it and it seems like a solid augmentation on some familiar stuff. The creator has submitted twice to my map contests and has certainly not disappointed, so this is worth a look at least.

Last edited:
Level 3
This looks solid... and we don't have a lot of quality remakes of this campaign... lots of the Roc Human. I haven't played a good RoC Orc remake yet, once I get my PC back up and running I look forward to checking out your ideas in action.

Level 6
I absolutely love edits/revamps/remakes (whatever you wanna call them haha) of the original campaigns since I grew up playing them. Can't wait to play this.

Just an unrelated side note to jayborino's reply, I agree. Everytime I've seen "tulee"'s replies to a custom campaign, it contained just about the same exact "review" which is him telling how unoriginal the campaigns are or telling them to be more creative like in this one.

Level 2
Maybe this will help some1 in the future:
In the latest (1.32.9.16589) RUSSIAN verion of Bugforged the UI (difficulty selection, for example) and custom models are blank, some maps in the "Create game" menu are renamed (for example mission 4 is called Elf, (???????) mission 1 is just Orc instead of Revamped orc 01, mission 2 is Orc 2 but it is actually Revamped orc 06 etc etc). The only workaround I found so far is to install both english text and voice and it works like a charm now, great campaign :)

Level 2
Hey there,
i just finished the campaign and i am absolutly amazed. I love the additional techtree and how you gave each mission some nice enhancements, it was a great joy to play the campaign again. i also cannot understand why people get mad on such projects, this love is exactly what the campaigns need in 2021 and what reforged should have delivered. One thing, i played the campaign on hard difficulty and i think it is to easy yet as i am not the usual hard player and did have not many problems. Especially on later levels one can make doomstacks -- thrall's armor spell, the tauren warpriest stoneskin -- i guess once jayborino has finished the campaign on hard, he can give some better feedback there. Please keep it up, it'd be a dream coming true, if the other vanilla campaigns would also get such revamps.

Edit: The second level seems very difficult on hard, mainly because you are constantly fighting and its hard to progress. Maybe increase the centaur spawning timers.

Greetings,
Deadworker

Last edited:
Level 3
I'd say that adding goblins would make the most sense, and also add capacities that aren't already covered by the current units.

A tank of some kind for the siege unit?

A battle mech that excels at tearing down buildings?

A caster with deuffs and spells directed at the enemy base?

Level 10
The Ancestral Strength upgrade does not give any of the tauren units the +3 armor. With tier 3 armor upgrade they all have
Braves 10 armor
Hunters 6 armor
war priest 0 armor
spirit walker 0 armor
Champion 11 armor
I also have access to the siege master research in barracks even though I selected catapults so maybe the selection is bugged or something from the interlude.

Edit: Tried again on another level with only Tauren units selected and none of them received the armor upgrade

Last edited:
Level 17
Version 1.1 uploaded with a bunch of bugfixes and small changes. Hero progress does carry over between versions but I would recommend deleting older version folders to reduce confusion.

Patch notes 1.1:

Map Changes:

Landfall: Fixed a pathing bug causing the centaur war party to get stuck in the canyon.

The Long March: Centaur spawn timer on hard difficulty increased, making the map slightly easier.

The Oracle: Fixed some Ghostly Archer's Vertex Coloring and Baine Bloodhoof now properly spawns when chosen during the interlude.

Bonus Map: Now properly creates a game cache for the purpose of Achievements.

Misc: Fixed a few missing DISBTN textures and textures for units like Executioners.

Unit and ability changes:
Replaced Uthok the Old with Baine Bloodhoof.
Changed Stoneskin armor bonus from +10 to +5.
Increased construction cost of Veteran's Camp slightly.
Tauren units now properly benefit from Ancestral Strength.

Level 3
Did you fix the cut-scene at the end of of the second mission? The pursuing centaurs can (from yellow and not the cutscene ones) can phase through the rift and attack Caine.

Level 1
Yesterday i tried the new 1.1 version of the campaign, and in some missions, specifically cry of the warsong, where wind riders dare and broken bonds, most of the enemy units and buildings won't load and the AI of some factions seems to be broken. I used the reforged option to play this campaign, so i'm not sure if in classic mode this bug would persist.

Level 17
Yesterday i tried the new 1.1 version of the campaign, and in some missions, specifically cry of the warsong, where wind riders dare and broken bonds, most of the enemy units and buildings won't load and the AI of some factions seems to be broken. I used the reforged option to play this campaign, so i'm not sure if in classic mode this bug would persist.
Thanks for letting me know, as far as I can figure out it's a problem with reforged not liking custom textures when the map is saved, Ill upload a fixed version in a little bit. Update: version 1.1.1 released containing the bugfix and an extra layer of protection against centaur phasing through rocks.

Last edited:
Level 1
Thanks for letting me know, as far as I can figure out it's a problem with reforged not liking custom textures when the map is saved, Ill upload a fixed version in a little bit. Update: version 1.1.1 released containing the bugfix and an extra layer of protection against centaur phasing through rocks.
I just tried the new verision and it works, the AI bug also disappeared, thank you!

Level 9
In a few of the camp missions, the poachers and executioners have a broken texture, they appear white, also in By Demons Be Driven. In By Demons Be Driven when the infernals start dropping I think there are a few that have a broken skin, cause something is attacking my base and my units aren't attacking it, and if I use the ogre magi to see invisible units, they dont show, so I can't do anything

Level 17
In a few of the camp missions, the poachers and executioners have a broken texture, they appear white, also in By Demons Be Driven. In By Demons Be Driven when the infernals start dropping I think there are a few that have a broken skin, cause something is attacking my base and my units aren't attacking it, and if I use the ogre magi to see invisible units, they dont show, so I can't do anything
Busy working on fixing the infernal bug, having a hard time recreating it myself to figure out why it happens but thanks a lot for letting me know.

Cant you make it for patch 1.31?
Unfortunately not as the maps were made on the newest reforged patch and there isn't any way to downgrade maps to work on an earlier version.

Level 4
Busy working on fixing the infernal bug, having a hard time recreating it myself to figure out why it happens but thanks a lot for letting me know.

Unfortunately not as the maps were made on the newest reforged patch and there isn't any way to downgrade maps to work on an earlier version.
So, understanding that i need reforged? But if the game updates to 1.32.10?? What do i do? You said it needs 1.32.9.

Level 1
I have a few ideas for units if you want them, up to you if you use them or not.

--Siege Unit:--
a goblin Zeppelin which is slow moving and vulnerable to damage, have medium range or low range and have a slow attack, but hits quite hard or have a strong ability to use against buildings.

--Assault Casters:-- or --Air Units:--
A Tauren druid which could be a melee attacker with the abilities Cyclone, Immolation (renamed to Lightning Shield with the visuals of Lightning Shield instead of immolation), and lastly the ability to turn into a Storm Crow with a melee attack which targets only air units. And then you could have an upgrade which allows the use of the Immolation ability while in the Storm Crow form (but while in Storm Crow form the immolation ability only targets air units).
This unit could be called Druid of the Storm or something else and it would be a strong anti air unit in essence.
Since this unit is a hybrid between ground & air unit, then this unit could also be an Air Unit instead of an Assault Caster, similar to the Air Unit named Elder who also benefits from both support and assault caster upgrades.

--Ultimate Units:--
A troll who can be named Berserker. Will basically look like those trolls from WoW named Gurubashi Berserker.
It can be a strong melee unit with the bash ability who can also benefit from the Troll Regeneration upgrade. You could also let it learn the Berserk ability to make it attack faster but take more damage.

Last edited:
Level 17
New version released on March 22 mainly focused on fixing up some textures and bugs as well as balance changes, see below:

Brave - Hitpoints reduced and food cost up from 3 -> 4
Gladiator - Food cost down from 3 -> 2
Axethrower - Hitpoints reduced by 25
Hunter - Hitpoints reduced by 50
Poacher - Now benefits correctly from ranged damage upgrades.
Elder - Hitpoints reduced by 75

Started work on a new system for the camp which will be added in version 2.0 which allows for you to construct your own structures using strategic lumber which will carry over from camp mission to mission. Even more units variations, upgrades, bonuses and other special surprises to come including new optional maps that will shape your journey across the Barrens and show your mastery of the campaign with achievements that carry over from playthrough to playthrough.

Attachments

• TheInvasionOfKalimdorRevampedVersion1.1.2.zip
    92.4 MB · Views: 431
Last edited:
Level 4
New version released on March 22 mainly focused on fixing up some textures and bugs as well as balance changes, see below:

Brave - Hitpoints reduced and food cost up from 3 -> 4
Gladiator - Food cost down from 3 -> 2
Axethrower - Hitpoints reduced by 25
Hunter - Hitpoints reduced by 50
Poacher - Now benefits correctly from ranged damage upgrades.
Elder - Hitpoints reduced by 75

Started work on a new system for the camp which will be added in version 2.0 which allows for you to construct your own structures using strategic lumber which will carry over from camp to camp. Even more units variations, upgrades, bonuses and other special surprises to come including new optional maps that will shape your journey across the Barrens.
You can't be serious man... I don't believe this. You are really a great guy. Aren't you letting down a game to die.. I just.. I'm impressed.. I have no words. Please go for the other campaigns too. You are amazing. Best wishes.

Level 3
There should be very clear feedback when a player receives strategic resources and it should be clear which sidequests give these resources, if you're still going with that.

Hello and welcome to the forum post about a small project I'm tinkering with in my free time: The Invasion of Kalimdor: Revamp.

The main idea of this project is to spice up the original Reign of Chaos orc campaign with not only changes to the missions themselves but also adding in a strategic layer of choosing new unit types and compositions as well as unique upgrades and abilities.

Inspired by the vanilla SC2 campaigns such as Wings of Liberty and Legacy of the Void, you will be able to visit your camp before you start each mission. In this camp you will be able to choose one of several variations for each of your units, such as the orcish Grunt, troll Gladiator or the tauren Brave. As you progress through the campaign you will unlock more and more unit types and variations to choose from.

Another core part is upgrades, completing a map will reward you with gold you can spend to improve your army. You can also complete bonus objectives to receive even more gold. Upgrades range from giving your melee unit choice +100 bonus hitpoints to unlocking new units and structures such as the Goblin Missile Tower and Pack Kodo.

Hopefully this project interests you enough to give it a try.

Thanks for reading!

Requires the latest Reforged patch -> 1.32.9.16589

Credits for models: Ujisama Hojo, MadMax, levigeorge1617, Mister_Haudrauf, loktar, General Frank, FrIkY, NO_exe, Tauer, Pyritie, Mythic, Hayate, supertoinkz, Cuore, JesusHipster, apaka, Wandering Soul, AndrewOverload519, Sellenisko, Lord_T. Please let me know if I used one of your models and missed crediting you!

New version 1.1.2 released on 22 March 2021.

Fixed a missing texture bug for the poacher in the final mission as well as an invisible infernal bug alongside a bunch of balance changes -> version 1.1.2
Does it work with Reforged graphics?

Level 4
Are there more campaigns? Whats up with the bonus map... Are you going to modify all campaigs? Adding new maps? New Heroes spells? Maybe New chapters for founding of durotar?

Level 5
Love the idea, and the execution is great(i downloaded the 30gb wc3 version just so i can try it), one minor gripe though, Thrall second spell is not lore accurate. The Earthmother is strictly tauren thing, not an orc or a shaman one. Not a problem with the spell itself, just its name. Also some model choices could be improved, a guy named @johnwar made some awesome models you could take a look at.

5/5

Level 2
Amazing work mate. But there are few things you need to change. The ally AI attack force (in under the burning skies and the broken alliances missions the human army single handedly clears the entire map). They just send all their stuff on the enemy base and it makes the map less intresting as you can do nothing and easily win. Please try to make their sends limited. And on the blood crags mission, instead of going to base directly i wished to explore first. This led me to the path other side of the orc camp from where the camp is besieged. And surprisingly the cutscene didnt get triggered. Try to fix this too :)

Level 50
I've been playing your campaigns and I love them so far. One bug is just killing me, in some intros(where I choose the abilities for the race when I move Thrall and Cairne to the circle of power nothing happens. If I skip the intro and start the mission the heroes(thrall and cairne) are not even on the map...

Level 2
Hey gotta ask this. I found this 1 and seems really interesting to play. This and undead campaign as well. Although i cant open them. Does it work only if u have reforged? I got 1.29 original warcraft 3 (i mean old version not reforged) (I mean u pasted in the post version for 1.1.2, so it should work just fine right?) Most of custom campaigns work fine but i cant find this 1 in my game library (its w3x files and yeah i tried putting them in campaigns folder, then in maps etc. Still couldnt launch it). Any ideas how to "install" this?

Status
Not open for further replies.