• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The best way to approach modeling a particular spell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I just started modeling recently, and I wanted to ask a couple of questions from people with experience. I am making a model and animation for this spell:
. So, I need animation for the caster, the main triangle creation, and flying triangles. How should I approach creating this?
1. Should I create a casting animation for the character (pose and hand movement), create a separate model for the triangle that connects flying triangles, and a separate model for flying triangles?; or
2. Should I add the creation of the triangle in the animation of the main character model and create a separate model for flying triangles?; or
3. Should the main triangle and flying triangles be the same model? (I think this one might be problematic because the spell with start moving flying triangles, while the main triangle should still stay near the character); or
4. Any other way?

Another problem I have is how to create uneven edges on the end of the flying triangle. Making them from mesh is too heavy on weight. I added a picture of a flying triangle I created. Ideally, I want the edges to transform from flat to uneven when the flying triangles start moving. (same as in the video).

Attachments

• 1645186718115.png
    1645186718115.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • 1645186753263.png
    1645186753263.png
    454.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 1645186789363.png
    1645186789363.png
    551 KB · Views: 7
Status
Not open for further replies.