• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Questions about the little things for sculpting a model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hi everyone.

I'm in the middle of my first model. I have been working on the body and I'm making progress. But I have a question about the hands for warcraft models. Most of the tutorials for Milkshape cover games other than Warcraft, and they all seem to make hands with opposable thumbs and all of that. Do you need to do that for a WC3 model? Or would a general hand-shaped block work better?

Also, what is a good number of vertices and triangles for a hero-type unit? I'm afraid I may be too high on the count at 900 triangles for the body without hands or head (but I must say it's a pretty model so far!).

Level 2
Well, this is my first model. I'm still not done with it yet, and the count of vertices and triangles is getting pretty large. But one of the tutorials has a section on how to reduce the poly count, so once I have my mesh the way I want it, I'll go to that part and knock out as many as I can.

I don't know if my model will be any good, but I'm sure I'll get better with time. It's still a bit overwhelming to me. So much work with fiddling and reshaping things, and I haven't even gotten to adding textures or skins or animations or anything yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.