• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Models for upcoming project - looking for feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I've started a new project that deals with robots and I've started making models in Maya 8. I currently do not have a means by which to convert them to .mdx, but that's not important right now.

The first model I'm working on is for a character named Magna. The body's pretty much done. I just need to do the head and shoulder pads. And then UV mapping, texturing and animating.

So here are some previews of Magna's body. I'm at exactly 1200 triangles so far. Questions? Comments?

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• body-preview-1.jpg
    body-preview-1.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 187
  • body-preview-2.jpg
    body-preview-2.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 174
  • body-preview-3.jpg
    body-preview-3.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 192
Level 51
Nah, there is no real poly limit itself, but the more polies you have in a model, the bigger is it, and battlenet maps can only take 8 mb. the more bigger it is, the more it botheres the engine too.

Don't take it too serious though, the differences aren't that big. And also, there is nearly no difference if you have 5 small fingers on a wc3 modle or just a box hand, from the normal game view, you can't see the difference anyway.

(excuse me if I'm wrong.)

Level 18
Looks pretty good for now.. Let's see what you'll do with the head :)

But I also have some suggestions:
- I don't like the block-hands, too. Do something with it, No need to add all 5 fingers, but something more than just a formed square would be cool.
- I don't like his feet.. they're looking more like hooves, but it's ok if it's ment to be so, but else you need to extent (extrude) them to make them look more like shoes, not like hooves..

Move on! Want to see the finished model :)

Oh and yeah, heared of that, too. There's no exporter for mdx for Maya, but maybe you can export it to some free program, like Gmax or Milkshape for further edits and Wc3 use..

Beside of that Wc3 don't has any restrictions in PolyCounts.. you could just add some Model with thousands of polies. The only Problem here will be your PC, the more polies it has the more laggs it can cause.. and therefore you need a high-end PC to still play smoothly.. To pretend something like that, you should only use high poly models once In the Game, like a Building or Boss that normally gets in use once.. Massing with such units in TD's would be very stupid :p

Level 8
I just finished the head this morning. I worked pretty fast but it still took a couple hours because of how complex it is, but it was well worth it! The shoulders and his gun should go much quicker. I also made the hands look more like hands and I made the feet bigger and extruded them a bit too, and they do look much better.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• head-preview 5.jpg
    head-preview 5.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 137
  • head-preview1.jpg
    head-preview1.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 166