• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Urgent Help! Modeling Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Okay guys I am a noob modeler, very amateur but passionate.
I have 3DS max and I know all the basics and intermediate of Modeling / Unwrapping / Texturing.

But my big problem is, I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO TRIANGLE MODEL!
Every model I have dl'ed from here is made up of tri's but all I have ever made is from poly's.

Its impossible to maintain such low poly and make a great model with poly's unlike with triangles.

Here is an example of what I am talking about:

95e1.png

Please don't suggest converting to editable mesh in 3DS max as it, in NO WAY makes all those triangle lines visible like in that screenshot.

P.S: I know about a way to make triangle lines visible with some directX setting or something but thats not the case here.

Please enlighten me about this wonderful art of modeling with triangles with 3DS Max.
Thank you - Silver

Level 4
to make the lines visible? ~~

I think what your looking for is "display edged faces"
in your perspective screen, click on top left letters [smooth + hightlight] and add edged faces"

Level 1
No sir.............I am not looking for how to see edged faces.

What I wanted is how are the triangle lines visible on these models when I import them.
And how to model like that (with triangles and not polygons).

When I convert to a simple square plane to editable mesh it doesn't show that middle cutting line forming 2 triangles like it does here.

All I wanted to know is how to model with triangles instead of polygons.
Like in the screenshot the whole model mesh is of triangles. I can only do it with 4 sided polygons.

Make sure to convert your objects to "editable poly", then you can use the connect tool to create a splice betweeen two edges and then use target weld to weld them into place.
"connect" requires edge selection and "target weld" requires vertex selection.

Just so you know though, ALL models are eventually converted into triangles, since that is the basis of all 3d modeling. A polygon is simply a surface containing 1 or 2 triangles (in 3ds max they also count multi-triangled objects as polygons, but it is still the same thing).

But anyways, if you want to create a triangle, just make a squareish model first and them weld some of the vertices together wherever you see fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.