• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

3D modeling question about poly/tri count

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
hey everyone im fairly new here. and so far i've found ur tutorials very helpful. However before i start making models i'd like to know the maximum amount of triangles i can use on a single character model. I'v looked through the FAQ and didnt find anything on the subject. I have modeled things in the past. but not for WC3.
Thanks

- Jalechah

Level 1
my thoughts as well, I'm sure it cant be more then a few hundred if even that. im gona guess no more then 500 polys but i could be underestimating the engine, who knows maybe we could do more, i think it would count on how many of the model is going to generated. like for dota i wouldnt mind making a 1-2 poly model but for something that will be spammed... who knows.

also im wondering.. im going to be useing 3d Mac Maya, and Zbrush for cool details, now most of that will be in the texture and what not, will it matter as long as the models are exported as what wc3 engine even needs?

Level 13
Hm, well I dont understand the question completely but. Was the question related to: does wc3 can handle high poly models ?
Yes, it can :D

normally, talking about the in-game models, there aren't a lot of models that are more than 1200 triangles/600 polys, but the morphing units ala tinker may arrive to the double. I'm fairly sure that wc3 can handle also high-poly models ala WoW, but a lot of detail on those models aren't visible at all ingame.

Level 1
hmmm interesting.. might depend on how good your computer is. ill try and make a 500-1000tri model and see how well it goes

hey everyone im fairly new here. and so far i've found ur tutorials very helpful. However before i start making models i'd like to know the maximum amount of triangles i can use on a single character model. I'v looked through the FAQ and didnt find anything on the subject. I have modeled things in the past. but not for WC3.
Thanks

- Jalechah

Now a days, anything beneath 1500 triangles is far okay for a humanoid.

Triangle limit actually depends on mesh efficience: the importance of a mesh versus the level detail it has. You should always use a low level of detail.

It's very hard to give an standard on tris limit, the best is that you try yourself on your own and ask everytime you make a model/mesh how you could improve it.

For instance, There's a poly-limit-table in Art Tool's documentation: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...gmax-warcraft-iii-art-tools-documentation.pdf However, it's very outdated (made for 1998 computers) you should multiply the values it says by 2.5 and you'll get a true poly-limit table.

Level 11
No no lol. I expressed myself wrong -.-' . I meant was question related with that. That wasn't really my question xD. I tested wc3 with 30×10k poly models I made ingame (we're making stand-alone mod for wc3 with enchanted graphic becouse long time passed from wc3 release and nowdays every PC can handle HQ models). Fraps FPS was max, and wc3 FPS was normal as always; Jumping from 60 - 400 xD . Also I tested it with WoW rips xD. Both works like a flower. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.