1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Texturing Competition #2 - Poll

Discussion in 'Poll Depository' started by Archian, Apr 22, 2007.

?

Which one should win?

Poll closed May 13, 2007.
  1. Night Elf Stag Crusader

20 vote(s)
    22.5%
  2. Arthas Texture

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Nightwing

10 vote(s)
    11.2%
  4. Nightelf Priestess

21 vote(s)
    23.6%
  5. Queen of Beasts

7 vote(s)
    7.9%
  6. Arcane Priest

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  7. Monk

7 vote(s)
    7.9%
  8. Frost Wyrm Whelp

14 vote(s)
    15.7%
  9. AANightElf

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Blood Elf Assassin

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  11. Undead Admiral

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  12. Human Sage

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dionesiist

Dionesiist

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Stop acting so emo! Admit the fact that your skin is just a load of CnP and Recolour, I really don't know how you still managed to stay in this contest! Bah!

2. Chaos

Chaos

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Bah! Made it myself, if you meant the plumage as a recolor, it's not. If you refer to the face, it's based on a nightelf one, but this isn't just cnp as you said ... I do not care how many votes I get or if I get first or last... I did my best, and I like my skin, whatever you say.

And I do not blame any other skins around here, or specially in this contest. Frost Wyrm can be copied by the orignal one, possible, I do not care, it looks fine in game, so it doesn't matter, the tiger may be a recolor from white to orange, I do not care, it looks great, you can see it :emote_huh: No offence to those two, in addition there are very low skilled skins in this contest, and they are accepted as well, however if they look blurry and horrible, try to give constructive comment to each skin.

Come down guys, it's a challenge, and there'll be only one winner :emote_clap:

Chaos

3. Gizmo III

Gizmo III

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hey, The Nightwing actaully looks great! Come on.. I like it ( Even if I did not vote for it :).

4. THE_END

THE_END

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm just expressing my opinions
    I did not say either skins were bad just that I think that a lil more work could have been put into them

5. BlackDoom

BlackDoom

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    Resources:
    Are we done yet? This turned into flame rather than competition...

So sad...

6. camel's_hump

camel's_hump

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    This still is a competition and no one has flamed each other BlackDoom.

Time to give some reviews:

Nightelf Stag Crusader - I really like the concept, it was executed quite well. The stag looks really good. The only things that I don't like are how your shading never feels complete, as in there are always some strokes that aren't blended in at all. Also the rider's skin needs to be brighter to fit the wc3 night elves.

Undead Arthas - I don't really like this skin, there is very little real shading that is not a bunch of scribbles, and that shading is not great. Ingame it will be a dark blob because of the black parts, and the star on his belt really stands out because it has no shading(I know that it is team color, but you can shade team color). You need to work on defining your concept, and your shading.

Nightwing - It is a nice concept, but it is poorly executed. The wing's shading has lots of scribbles and no real defining shading. Most of your shading is scribbley, you need to learn to use bigger brushes and really blend in your shading. I see lots of cnp and smudge, both of which do not look good. This skin really lacks shading.

Queen of Beasts - Another nice concept. A real plus to this skin is that it seems to fit well ingame. The shading seems to be fairly good, but not anything special. I especially like the designs you made on the bengal/tiger's armor.

Arcane Priest - First off, he looks more like a zombie than a human. The skin tone, the cheek lines, how his eyes look sunken and are black with a white spot and are not the other way around, and how the lips have weird lines all contribute to this. It looks like you use dodge and burn which would be the cause of that tone. Try shading with brushes so you can control the colors, there are plenty good tutorials around. I also see some smudge which contributes to the blurry feeling of your skin. On the shading on the cape you need to really define the folds instead of make random looking marks.

Monk - It seems to me that you shading with a 'spotted' brush. Instead of doing that use a solid brush to do your shading, then go over with a spotted brush to get a desired texture. This skin really needs some defining shading. Also instead of using such a strong black that looks like you went over with a pen for the runes and outlines, use a lower opacity and go over multiple times if you think that it is not dark enough. This way it won't stand out as much.

Frost Wyrm Whelp - Great design, you really got the frostwyrm look down. It looks like you shaded with doge and burn though, causing your colors to not look all that nice. Shade with a brush so you can avoid that monotone feel. Also you need to clean up your shading some.

Nightelf - Changing a dreadlord into a nightelf doesn't really work. Your skin is quite blurry. To fix this use harder brushes. The light stuff on his body is really helter skelter. When making your concept, try to make more of an organized design, it will look better.

Bloodelf Assassin - I already gave you a review on wc3c, and I'm too lazy to do that again:p

Undead Admiral - The skin is way too dark, having the base color of your skin black is a bad idea. On the black parts the skin really lacks shading. I don't know what else to say about the skin.

Human Sage - It doesn't look like you changed the concept all that much except for the colors of things. The eyes make it look like he pooped his pants because you can see the whites of his eyes, and the black part of the cape has zero shading.

Well I hope those were useful in some sort of way seeing as typing all that took forever:p

7. BlackDoom

BlackDoom

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    Resources:
    Camel, you man are as good at advices as you are good at texturing! Thanks for your tips! I, at least, find them really useful!

8. SuPa-

SuPa-

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I agree lol, the only way it seems to work at all is if I edit the model, but then It's still crappy^^

9. WILL THE ALMIGHTY

WILL THE ALMIGHTY

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    What burn and dodge? I'm using GIMP! :p

Actually, the shading was done with black and/or white "fuzzy" brushes.

Any critism I could post would be identical to Camel's, so yeah... what he said.

10. JarrardKO

JarrardKO

Resources:
    Resources:
    *Plays suck up noise*

I really don't mean to be rude but..

What're you trying to say? All the skins look horibble? While the other contestants had like maybe 10-20% recolor but yet your skin was like 80% recolor and CnP. It is also very blurry and horrible. How very hypocrytical.

And WILL stfu, your skin is awsome. :)

11. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I will go for human sage, cuz I consider it the most useful

12. PitzerMike

PitzerMike

Resources:
    Tools:
    Resources:
    My favourite is the Blood elfish Assassin.

13. Sansui

Sansui

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    My favorite is the monk. It reminds me of my second skin I ever did.

14. Gizmo III

Gizmo III

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    My favorite is the Wyrm.. Also like Camels' and Werewulf's alot..

btw, thanks for liking my skin, sansui.. Even if it clearly sucks :)

15. SuPa-

SuPa-

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    So far, almost only one without vote o_O
    I wonder who voted for themselves

16. THE_END

THE_END

Resources:
    Resources:
    I didn't vote for me
    Never in the history of any skinning contest have I voted fer meself

17. WILL THE ALMIGHTY

WILL THE ALMIGHTY

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I unfortunatly did. So this'll only be a victory for me if I win by at least 2 points.

18. DwarfZealot

DwarfZealot

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    if someone REALLY wanted to win a contest couldn't they just make like 30 accounts and vote all for themselves?

19. WILL THE ALMIGHTY

WILL THE ALMIGHTY

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    quit giving them ideas.

20. SuPa-

SuPa-

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    that's where "IP address" come in, Dwarf. If things got suspicious the admins could look at the IP addresses... maybe xD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.