• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #16 - Castles/Cathedrals

Status
Not open for further replies.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
balloon+bursting.gif

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I'll be saving that cityscape piece for something different, my cathedral plans sucked to realize

Drew this up in the meantime

First shots of the caste should be due soon when I get more leisure

Attachments

• LOTR WIP 1.png
    LOTR WIP 1.png
    938.4 KB · Views: 137
  • LOTR WIP 2.png
    LOTR WIP 2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 175
  • LOTR WIP 3.png
    LOTR WIP 3.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 144
Level 36
In that case this water model can not be used, because it was released on September 27th.

You kind of missed this one:

they are fully credited.
they are public resources and a link is provided.
they were made before the contest launch date.
However certain resources might get approved by the contest's host or judge(s).

I'll be giving the doodad a look over, if I find it useful as a general doodad for
every contestant then I'll sanction it. I'd also appreciate if someone could
provide me a direct link to it's download.

That rule wasn't instated to prevent terrainer's artistic freedom, or prevent the
use of good looking doodads for their respective uses, it was more to prevent
good "modders" to grant themselves a competitive edge if they know someone
or are personally skilled in modelling and/or skinning.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Please tell me this is not war3 even if I already now the answer plz tell me it's not...
It's not, I made it on a graphical calculator

Okay this is my final. It's had its twists and turns along the way but I think it came out alright. It was particularly bitchy to get the necessary depth to it because the fog (Z Start 0, Z End 19,000) was too thick for the furthermost details of the castle. This piece pretty much covers all of the available 256x256 map space

I call this I Я Castlz

Offsite import(s):
http://xgm.guru/p/wc3/fantasy-environment-statues (statues)

Aaaaaaaaaaand that's it

Attachments

• Final Entry 2 Frame.png
    Final Entry 2 Frame.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 721
Level 31
Looking good, fladder. Yet it looks like a WIP to me, it could be much bigger and more overwhelming and the fog hides the castle too much in my opinion, hard to extract the details. NewGen pack editor lets you have like 400x400 maps. Other than that it looks potential. :)

Level 36
It's not, I made it on a graphical calculator

Okay this is my final. It's had its twists and turns along the way but I think it came out alright. It was particularly bitchy to get the necessary depth to it because the fog (Z Start 0, Z End 19,000) was too thick for the furthermost details of the castle. This piece pretty much covers all of the available 256x256 map space

I call this I Я Castlz

Offsite import(s):
http://xgm.guru/p/wc3/fantasy-environment-statues (statues)

Aaaaaaaaaaand that's it

Great, now get back to the co-terrain.

...hard to extract the details. NewGen pack editor lets you have...

Ew

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Great, now get back to the co-terrain.
:>

Looking good, fladder. Yet it looks like a WIP to me, it could be much bigger and more overwhelming and the fog hides the castle too much in my opinion, hard to extract the details. NewGen pack editor lets you have like 400x400 maps. Other than that it looks potential. :)
Don't get me wrong. Sure, the fog did make it difficult to add the fine grains to the castle top (or actually slightly beyond that) but it also helps to cover up details that would otherwise be donkey fugly. Where my map is at now is pretty much the saddle point unless I start redoing stuff like the leftside mountain chain

Fladder can I have a copy of the map? I'm not going to join. Just for learning purposes.
I sent you Nature, and there are a few of my other maps in here http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/terrain-board-267/pass-along-terraining-246334/

If you read some into it you can learn (pretty much) all there is to know about my terraining style from that

Level 25
Neh, Wip:

My Final Entry

3.jpg

Castel Cerucia
Cerucia is a wondrous castle famous because of it's beautiful look at night, with the night light shining to it, it becomes blue and it adds to the beauty of the beautiful castle.

Credits: Creators and Contributors for the UTM 4.0 v1 and to Blizzard.

Last edited:
Level 25
Updated, worked on fog more and made it more blue:
My Final Entry

6.jpg

Castel Cerucia
Cerucia is a wondrous castle famous because of it's beautiful look at night, with the night light shining to it, it becomes blue and it adds to the beauty of the beautiful castle. It is also called the Moonlight's Treasure by the ones who wander and see this beautiful castle at night.

Credits: Creators and Contributors for the UTM 4.0 v1, Thrikodius and to Blizzard.

Last edited:
Another minor update.

The sky and sun will be reworked later after I start updating that castle.

Changelog:

Update no 3

Changed the mist at the bottom of the 'canyon'.
Added a mountain at the right.
Tinted the barel down a bit.
Expanded the castle on the cliff's edge a bit.
Worked on the sky a bit.

Update no. 4

Removed most of the canyon mist, completed the waterfalls more or less.
Reworked the left part of the canyon, near the lion statues.
Tweaked the sky a lil, I may have overdone the sun a bit though.
Removed the waterfall on the right part of the canyon.
Expanded the castle side a bit and melded the canyon cliff next to the hanging tower slightly.
Added a bridge on the far left part over the canyon and completed fountain linked to the bridge in the canyon.

This might be the last WIP I show before the final entry (that is if I finish it).

Final Entry - Chezammm

It turned out more like a complex.

Attachments

• huzzahhh.png
    huzzahhh.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 696
Last edited:
Level 31
The surroundings looks really good, but stacking those castle brick walls on top of each other is a poor choice in my opinion, because the bottom of each piece is darker and the top is lighter, so you get these not so attractive layers. But who knows, maybe you will get away with that just fine. Hope you will finish this on time, looks good so far. :)

Level 31
Adding fat frames would solve it I suppose, but I don't know if you really want that effect, because your castle is hanging on the edge, so a smooth wall would look more standard, but you can get away with anything as long as it is well placed. I had the same issue with my entry. I wanted to stack these walls, but this screwed it up. I ended up changing the model and not using that one at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.