• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #15 - Feelings/Emotions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
Maybe this terrain just resembles sadness and loneliness, but what's the matter?

It matters because the theme of the contest is emotions, you're supposed to "align" your terrain
to an emotion, if the terrain doesn't follow the theme, you might actually get disqualified.

Participants are to create a terrain that shows or captures an emotion/feeling, e.g. love, happiness, loneliness, anger, etc.

Level 21
I read the rules and I know it has to let u feel an emotion. I, personally, feel loneliness when I look at it.

EDIT: Here is my terrain improved! I added some rocks, some rubbles, flowers and used a different camera perspective! I hope u'll appreciate it! This should let u feel loneliness, perhaps also sadness. Could be my final entry, but I am not sure.

233766-albums6886-picture76873.png

Last edited:
Level 36
Right, would be better if you actually specify that with your final entry.
And if that wasn't your final entry, then make sure to include it when you post
your final entry.

@ShadowFury,
Please read the theme of this contest . You need to create a terrain with emotions . So you need it !

@Keiji ,
Yeah . I think he don't understand the contest very well .

Really, chap, don't post unnecessary messages. First you state the exact same
thing as I did, and then you tell me you agree with me. Which you obviously
do when you say exactly the same thing as I do.

Well those close up shrubs strike fear into my heart if that counts for anything.

Amen Gabriel.

So i guess im disqualified. :')

I'm not the contest's judge, so don't really listen to me.
- They do have the full right to disqualify you, though,
if you don't follow the theme.

Besides, did you even post a final entry?
And even if you did, it's nothing more complicated
than to simply slap an emotion onto your terrain,
just pick the one that's most fitting.

I guess the contest is fairly loophole-ish like that,
but then, what does it really matter? Terraining contests
are more about being a good terrainer than to follow the
theme anyways. It's always been like that.

The theme is just there so that we can name it an "official"
contest, really :p

Last edited:
Level 15
Hey y'all!
Long time no post.
Got a little bored so I thought I'd wip out the good ol' editor. Little rusty since I haven't touched it in about 2 years.

LOVE
TC15 - WIP.png

Still got a few things to do, but feel free to make suggestions.

Level 23
Sigelang, Don't worry, I'll link the models I used in my final submission. Those grass were Wow rips I got from wcunderground

BTW, Keiji, I have some models in my PC that I used that I couldn't find the authors or the modelers. Is it fine if I just attach the files instead? or do I have to replace them with other models?

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
It doesn't look sorrowful at all atm but I'll try to improve it later.
Place a stormsphere with color values RGB(0,0,0) to cover up the sky, set the time of day to night in Scenario > Map Preferences, and make the fog darker and more dense i.e. smaller Z difference. Then start playing with glow models and lighting.

Oh crap.... you're right. HE TRICKED ME!
:D

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Aaaaand I will probably miss out on this one, I really expected my final week of school to be far easier than this >.>

Level 16
Nice improvement there!

As from me, some minor details to show, not spoiling much. Adding some objects and re rendering the light completely. If you actually bothered looking closely to the first picture it had some really ugly black lines which I'm trying to correct. It takes me one hour to render each piece of object which is terrifying because of my weak computer so I'm trying to speed up the process as the deadline draws closer. I haven't even tested how it looks in game (the new version) but it's shortly going to be worth the work. The background is complete but it's all still a secret, hope the picture didn't lose its original feel!
210613-albums6274-picture77111.gif

210613-albums6274-picture77110.jpg

Level 18
It's that hard ey? They should of taken it easy since the holidays are near. The only thing keeping me occupied are the "before holidays chores".

To reinforce that I'm still in the contest here's a small progress pic on the background, I don't show too much!
210613-albums6274-picture77001.jpg

It reminds me a little bit of a terrain that Madsen once made, I like it :D

Level 4
^_^

@Rushing Epic , please state your emotion . . .

Sadness :grin: :grin: :grin: :xxd:
:goblin_boom:

Resources used:
B2M's pack
The Unltimate Terraining map

Update:
*changed the rain into HQ one
*added some moonlight effect
*added some windy effect
*added some more doodads :grin:
*changed some more things
attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,033
Last edited:
Level 34
Don't use game view settings. You can turn each element on individually.

I like the terrain, but I find it far too busy. Also those swords seem random on the right.

Level 16
It reminds me a little bit of a terrain that Madsen once made, I like it :D
Dr. House, Thanks! What a pleasant surprise, long time no hear from you.
You know, you could just do it normally in the editor like everyone else does >.>
- The terrain, I mean.
Yes and no! I made the terrain in the editor assembling each piece first after which I Import all the models in max, reassemble them again and finally rendered Lightmaps. This was the direction I was going for from the start. Making the terrain without this trick would mean that I had to rethink it, do something to it so that it will look good with the poor lighting wc3 uses, probably I'd had to fog it like crazy and it wouldn't be anywhere close to what I want plus the light plays a huge role in enhancing the emotion of the terrain and it wouldn't even look this good.
How it looks without the light maps.

210613-albums6274-picture77235.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this is it, my final entry.

Title - Babylon Dusk
210613-albums5309-picture77236.jpg

It goes with this.

A peaceful city, preparing for the night coming, a broom and a basket filled with leaves, evidence of someone that just finished cleaning all proof of a peaceful utopia blessed with light and good willing people. It realflex peace and tranquility both outer and inner of man, a heartbeat period in a never ending cycle of Yin and Yang.

210613-albums6274-picture77237.png

I wanted to add characters at first but decided to remove them all together thinking it will leave a deeper meditation feeling this way. A landscape without a city would be ideal for a calmer sensation as nature has a stronger feel of stillness compared to a agitated city but I already went with the city.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Judges please read!
By no means did I break any of the contest rules as proof of the following:

There's nothing out of the ordinary/any kind of game hack involved, nothing that everyone on this site cannot do with the tools already available. Most people don't know how! I don't consider using such a technique Illegal or giving me any advantage over the other terrains! Judges can disqualify me if they feel there's something wrong.

• Tools Used - 3ds Max + Warcaft 3 World Editor
  • Technique - Pre Baked shadow/lightmapping (Visit my project Over the hills or MM for more information)
  • Models Used - 1. Stone & Sword_Modular Kingdom (HFM), Stone & Sword_Modular Manor (HFM) by Talavaj, 2. FH - Oak Tree, FH - Rocks, FH - Cliff by Me.
210613-albums6274-picture77222.jpg

210613-albums6805-picture76109.jpg

210613-albums6805-picture76111.jpg

To further confirm my statement I assembled each structure in the World editor first like everyone else.
210613-albums6274-picture77223.jpg

All models and work is mine and not others!
210613-albums6274-picture77226.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture77225.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture77224.png

210613-albums6274-picture77229.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture77230.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture77231.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture77232.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture77233.jpg

210613-albums6274-picture77234.jpg

* Map uploaded! The Map is identical with the image, including the effects. (Actualy, there might be minor differences because I make dozens of copies when I'm working and I accidently deleted the latest version. Only small details I've corrected in the last are missing so it should be basically the same.
Map Download

Attachments

• TC 15 - Babylon Dusk_HQ.jpg
    TC 15 - Babylon Dusk_HQ.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 268
Last edited:
Level 34
I'm still not totally clear on what you did with the shadows and lighting. What program did you use/how did you do it? I don't need a massive tutorial, just enough info to help get an idea of what you did.

Out of curiosity, how many people use photo editing on their terrains?

Level 16

No photo editing used on the picture because it would get me disqualified (In the rules). The Map is exactly identical to the picture, you'll see when I upload the map. I worked like everybody else except you could say I did some skinning on the models textures. You can draw shadows on them but instead I calculated light in 3ds max for accurate results, that's why it looks so real. Yes the image is from Warcraft 3 Game view. I would love to show you a few pictures that explains the process in 3 simple steps but for some reson I can't acces my user CP and I can't edit my posts, What is up with that? Hope my internet is to blame! :vw_wtf:

I don't use photo editing on my terrains! All done with Warcraft because it's more interesting.

Level 34
I should have been clear, I wasn't saying you used photo editing, I was just curious if people do it. I kinda figured you were using 3dsmax, but I wasn't totally sure how you were doing it since I have no knowledge of modeling.

There is something wrong with your account. I can't access your user page.

Level 36
Out of curiosity, how many people use photo editing on their terrains?

Considering that'd be against the contest's rules and against general terrainer pride,
I really hope no one does.

...do something to it so that it will look good with the poor lighting wc3 uses, probably I'd had to fog it like crazy and it wouldn't be anywhere close to what I want plus the light plays a huge role in enhancing the emotion of the terrain and it wouldn't even look this good.

It's funny, part of what makes terraining prestigious, as a secluded form for modding, is exactly this.
The challenge of making something beautiful with limited and quirky tools, the challenge of making the
lighting seem amazing when you actually have to "construct it" as opposed to simply "generating" it.

I'm not really trying to discredit what you've done, but what you're doing includes so much more than
merely terraining, it's modeling and skinning and god knows what more, I just... Find it a little over the top.
- The terrain is nice, though.

I'm very happy I'm not judging this contest, really.

Level 16
There is something wrong with your account. I can't access your user page.
My account is ok now, thank God!
@Toby Fat , I looked on your terrain while I play the sound of yours , and this is very relaxing !!! I feel that I'm sitting on the temple while I see the mountains !!! COOL !!!
Thank you!
It's funny, part of what makes terraining prestigious, as a secluded form for modding, is exactly this.
The challenge of making something beautiful with limited and quirky tools, the challenge of making the
lighting seem amazing when you actually have to "construct it" as opposed to simply "generating" it.

I'm not really trying to discredit what you've done, but what you're doing includes so much more than
merely terraining, it's modeling and skinning and god knows what more, I just... Find it a little over the top.
- The terrain is nice, though.

I'm very happy I'm not judging this contest, really.
Your right on that part! Not necessarily for the sake of the contest I wanted to try something different for a change and seeing the success of the lighting on this terrain I'll go for bump mapping on the next one. Yeap, you need modeling and skinning + 3ds max skills to make something like this work. To simplify it so everyone can understand how it works I'll just call it skinning. I'm not really a narcissist so I also like the other terrains, yours, Stryders, all the rest and fladdermasken, I never get to do it like he does especially with the fog, there's something to it but I guess everybody does what everybody does best. I'd be expecting a harsh, detail perfect judging from you as always if you were A judge, on the other hand I'm happy that you like my terrain, It's a honor!
-----------------------------------------

I'll try to post my map today, see if I can.

Edit: I'm uploading the map right now, going to take forever! (At least I scaled it down to 30mb)
Her something that came out of my arse, a wallpaper and loading screen for something that might be a future project.
210613-albums6984-picture77257.jpg

Edit: I uploaded the map, it's next to my entry!
* Go with High settings in the game otherwise it won't work! I hope it got uploaded correctly.

Last edited:
Level 24
My account is ok now, thank God!

Thank you!

Your right on that part! Not necessarily for the sake of the contest I wanted to try something different for a change and seeing the success of the lighting on this terrain I'll go for bump mapping on the next one. Yeap, you need modeling and skinning + 3ds max skills to make something like this work. To simplify it so everyone can understand how it works I'll just call it skinning. I'm not really a narcissist so I also like the other terrains, yours, Stryders, all the rest and fladdermasken, I never get to do it like he does especially with the fog, there's something to it but I guess everybody does what everybody does best. I'd be expecting a harsh, detail perfect judging from you as always if you were A judge, on the other hand I'm happy that you like my terrain, It's a honor!
-----------------------------------------

I'll try to post my map today, see if I can.

Edit: I'm uploading the map right now, going to take forever! (At least I scaled it down to 30mb)
Her something that came out of my arse, a wallpaper and loading screen for something that might be a future project.
210613-albums6984-picture77257.jpg

Edit: I uploaded the map, it's next to my entry!
* Go with High settings in the game otherwise it won't work! I hope it got uploaded correctly.

Wow, the Loading Screen looks very good, Did you edit this on Photoshop

Level 17
Indeed, I demand that screenshot to be shown off at my pack's thread as a sample for people to get inspired.
Though I'm more impressed over how the vines turned out and of the overall lighting and the volumetric clouds and fog and stuff.
Also the light maps are really nice, how exactly did you get such a nice color of light without washing things out ? A combination of modulate and additives ?

Level 16
I approve! And I also consider it my greatest work till now in the terrain domain. I really don't have to many terrains.
Also the light maps are really nice, how exactly did you get such a nice color of light without washing things out ? A combination of modulate and additives ?
I use Modulate x2 for shadow maps. It's the most efficient and works best compared to normal modulate and additive. It's because modulate x2 darkens and brightens the material in one pass although it won't work as well if you want something like exposure control it generally turnes out a bit more yellowish\dark orange like, can be fixed by correcting it in photoshop.

That would be it, I'm done for the contest. I won't be posting a tutorial about it until the Judges approve of it and I probably won't have time to.

Edit: Oh, and modulate x2 seems to be the most accurate in keeping the light\shadow maps almost the same as it originally is, just seems that way to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.