1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Terraining Challenge 2007/2008

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Rui, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Ratherion

Ratherion

Resources:
    Resources:
    I mean... Arcane Temple is more of a Dalaran theme. GL though.

I suggest using the Gul'dan Runes on Totems, that would look wicked.

2. demonsofdante

demonsofdante

Resources:
    Resources:
    Naw not the traditional temple, more D2ish, but hte outside is def barrens

I have most of the inside finished, but that part doesnt look barrens at all. The outside is the most unfinished part at the moment

3. Ratherion

Ratherion

Resources:
    Resources:
    And Herio-san, I suggest you add something like a valuable resouce for your camp, I mean the Tauren/anyone else would not have made a rondom camp anywhere, it has to have a oasis/goldmine/war outpost or something.

4. demonsofdante

demonsofdante

Resources:
    Resources:
    Wip

Well heres a picture of the inside of the temple and a WIP of the outside, the outside looks horrible at the moment. Hopefully the inside will turn out the way i want it.

Attached Files:

5. Jaakko

Jaakko

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    dips? Did Rui yet say anything about the Barrens?

6. Ratherion

Ratherion

Resources:
    Resources:
    uh... not really... but scince voting began we just kind of started...

7. Killer_Mushroom

Killer_Mushroom

Resources:
    Resources:
    That looks awesome demonsofdante. Reminds me of an ancient Greek amphitheater.

8. Eleandor

Eleandor

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    First WIP of my barrens thingy

It's gonna be a Canyon with a small orc tribe, some gnolls & a harpy fortress

At the screen you can see the disbelieve of an orc that never believed in dragons, until he saw this...

Attached Files:

9. Eleandor

Eleandor

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I was looking at the tilesets today, and I am worried a bit now... For example, take the Dalaran tileset.
    There's nothing wrong with making a terrain in Dalaran, but I fear that in (the next contest) Dalaran Ruins I won't be able to make a decent terrain, simply because dalaran and Dalaran ruins are basically the same... same goes for Black citadel and Outland and Village and Village fall. then I also realised that the Lordaeron's are actually boring terrains. Especially because there's already a better tileset for each Lordaeron tileset. Take Lodaeron Winter: everyone agrees that Northrend (or Icecrown glacier, but I think there are too many differences between those) is alot better. Village fall is a better version of Lordaeron fall (IMO...)

What's your opinion on this?

I also noticed that Barrens comes after Ashenvale. Is it on purpose or a coincidence? if it's on purpose, I'm worried that some tilesets that follow each others will be bad for my inspiration. For example if I just did a lordaeron winter tileset, I don't feel alot like making another winter map in Northrend. Same goes for Cityscape and Dalaran (which actually ressemble alot too).

My suggestions (which you really don't have to take in account, but whatever): When for example the Cityscape contest starts, you should get the choice in picking Cityscape, Dalaran or Dalaran Ruins. This way the next contest won't be in a similar tileset, and the contest time will also be decreased (to 1 year instead of 1,5... by that time everyone already left wc for sc anyway, so...)

Last edited: May 22, 2007
  10. demonsofdante

demonsofdante

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well we're going in alphabetical order which is why barrens if after ashenvale. Also, Rui stated that Outland/Black Citadel would be paired together, same i'm assuming for Dalaran and Dalaran Ruins. I think for the Lordaeron one we should be able to pick 2 seasons out of the three and do them. Rather than all 3.

11. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:

I've stated now that we won't be going by alphabetic order, due that some wait for the end of the poll, and others start as soon as the first contest ends, so... I'll pick a random tileset after Barrens.

12. demonsofdante

demonsofdante

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ohhhh i thought you said it was alphabetical, my fault.

13. Jaakko

Jaakko

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That's no good teamspirit. It's totally fine for me if you say you leave, but don't say everyone will leave. And besides there's no guarantee people will be playing SC2 after 1,5 years, maybe SC.

14. Eleandor

Eleandor

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    SC servers will all be shut down by blizzard when SC 2 comes out. It's been announced. Anyway, before this turns out to a SC thread, I just wanna say that 1 year is more than enough for me for 1 (one) terrain challenge (even though it's split in multiple contests). Ofcourse not everyone will leave, but it's just a way of saying...

15. Jaakko

Jaakko

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I thought I read in SC2 site that SC will remain playable in B.net. Blizzard said this so have they changed their minds?

16. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Blizzard always change their mind. I bet they'll even release Diablo 3 with WoW as MMO before Warcraft IV, IF they ever release Wc4. All my efforts for Wc3 are going down the drain with this SC2 stuff. I understand SC2 was made earlier and logically should receive an update earlier, but I hope they don't leave Warcraft III dying either, it is so outdated and the engine is just so old. They could at least release an expansion, which is, of course, a dream.

17. Herio-san

Herio-san

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I think I actually may have some new inspiration for my barrens terrain and I think I may redo what I have (This would end up being my second revision lol).

18. Jaakko

Jaakko

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    So what is the next theme?

19. Herio-san

Herio-san

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I believe were still going to do barrens but the next tileset will be random to prevent people from working on it early.

Edit: WIP of my New Barrens Terrain
    Its got alot of work to go still. Im planning on having around 10-15 of these little floating-rock islands and then doing a terrain under them with holes in the ground. Some will be connected with rope bridges and poles. Others will have small sections of towns and sections of bases on them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  20. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Alright, let us start the Barrens tileset! Today is the 24th May, so the Barrens tileset will end on the 24th June! You can start working on your terrains and posting them!

By the way, please keep attachments you made on this contest, since JPEG files don't take that much space.

The first post has been edited! Congrat's Herio-San, you are the Ashenvale Tileset Master!