• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Challenge 2007/2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
Well it's supposed to be barrens, which are barren, hence the name. The hill is supposed to stand out, and the sky can be better. I'll try fixing it later, but I'm going to be gone for while, may not be done.

Oh and making Barrens is okay right? As long as it's the right tileset?

Level 34
Jaakko is correct, your 2 gigs or RAM and processor do nothing for you really. The game can't handle too much. Same with large scale wars, it lags because of the game, not the computer (on a decent computer anyways, obviously if your computer sucks then it will lag).

Level 34
Trust me MadseN's is laggy too. I can't alter mine due to lack of any time whatsoever. Kinda sucks, mine could still be better. Maybe after this contest when I have time I'll make it beautiful!

Level 2
Well, I decided to jump in on this one now that I'm not neck-deep in work or stress, and is using a tileset I feel somewhat comfortable with. I'm wanting to go with a night scene since I doubt I can compete with the current day-setting posts thus far, plus I'd like to see a little variety in the submissions anyway. This is still way early in the stage(maybe...an hour of work so far? XD), so I'm still coming up with ideas and whatnot.

And yeah, it's quite empty; this is just a very beginning screenie to show where I'm starting from. =) I'm thinking a castle...contemplating a line of towers in the backdrop, but I'm not sure yet. Still have a month to figure it out. :D

Attachments

• TevEarlyScreenie.jpg
    TevEarlyScreenie.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 153
Well, I decided to jump in on this one now that I'm not neck-deep in work or stress, and is using a tileset I feel somewhat comfortable with. I'm wanting to go with a night scene since I doubt I can compete with the current day-setting posts thus far, plus I'd like to see a little variety in the submissions anyway. This is still way early in the stage(maybe...an hour of work so far? XD), so I'm still coming up with ideas and whatnot.

And yeah, it's quite empty; this is just a very beginning screenie to show where I'm starting from. =) I'm thinking a castle...contemplating a line of towers in the backdrop, but I'm not sure yet. Still have a month to figure it out. :D

Lewks nice.Keep on working and add something more custom not War3 based.

Level 2
Dark Hunter1357 said:
This is cool, maybe ppl shoud be allowed to post maps whit chematics, ofc only if they want.
I'll probably do something like that once I finish it, just for the hell of it. =)

Anyway, one last WIP before I go to bed('tis bloody 6:30am right now >_>). Threw in a quick castle on the left side, and I'm looking at possibly throwing in a couple fires in the corner towers and some soft lights in the central tower(to simulate lights in the windows) once I figure out a way to offset the fire from the ground. Not sure how that'll look, though, so I'll decide on that once I figure out how to offset it.

Next step-> Terrain around the castle, followed by forefront terrain then backdrop.

EDIT: And wow, just noticed how dark the pics look on this comp compared to my laptop...as a reference(not sure if this comp or my laptop's settings are funky), does the detail of the central tower come out pretty clearly for you all or not?

Attachments

• TevEarlyCastle.jpg
    TevEarlyCastle.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 150
Level 10
Ok I am going to start terraining now, here is my first terrain...ever

Spying on a conversation

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_113007_233235_03.tga
    2.7 MB · Views: 48
Level 2
You can post maps with cinematics, but I don't understand the point of that, it's a Terraining Challenge which is won through screenshots.

I think he's just saying it as a "for fun" kind of thing, since it may be interesting to be able to "walk" through a well-done terrain and take a tour. Granted, I know a lot of these terrains are just being set up for this *one* angled shot, and we're using a lot of tricks that would look horrendous from another angle...but it's just an idea. *shrugs* =)

Level 10
Ok I changed it to JPG, but the quality sucks, what do I need to change it? I changed the file to Jpg in gimp, sugestions?

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_120107_090107_01.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_120107_090107_01.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 148
Level 34
Not bad for first. You need a fog though, some tile variation and height variation. Oh and is that the right tileset? I don't think it is!

Level 2
Added in some trees to the area around the castle, changed the tinting on the nearby weeds and the water(didn't like the way the water looked previously; too blue), and put in some quick hills on the right side of the screen for some variation...will most likely rework them a bit, though.

Also did a screenshot of it during the day with a gold-coloured theme, just for the hell of it. =)

Attachments

• TevTreesAndHills.jpg
    TevTreesAndHills.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 113
  • TevForFun.jpg
    TevForFun.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 123
Level 34
I opened my map to work on it, this is what I got.

Looks kind of cool though! Almost like water. Not sure what happened, it looks like my rough dirt tile turned into abyss!?!

It fixed when I re loaded the map.

Attachments

• Weird.jpg
    Weird.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 151
  • Weird2.jpg
    Weird2.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 178
Level 25
If you were using a custom tile, perhaps the custom tile file couldn't be found when you loaded the map and so it became a transparent tile.

I like this because it looks very realistic. Well... if it waves in it, signifying that watery, wavey, movement in ponds, rivers, and so on, it'd be totally awesome! Also looks like it is a good reflection from the sky.
~Craka_J

Level 12
Wip

Well, I know its not that good but it's my first try at terraining serius. Of course it's missing many things like corpses, grass models and some more.'

It's night and elves have invaded a troll village, some of the trolls escaped and is now looking down at the destruction.

Attachments

• Troll.jpg
    Troll.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 189
Level 2
Craka_J said:
Maybe add a waterfall on the right in the background.
Looks like we're thinking in the same direction; 'tis the eventual plan, as I'm planning on one of the three screenshots for the contest being one of the waterfall.

Tevin, if that's water those villagers are walking through then you should take the waterfall doodad and squish it down and put those in the river. As it is I can't tell whether it's water or fog.
The problem I've had with the various water tiles/animations(whether it be having rolling shores, the waterfall doodad, or the water plane doodad) is that the water activity is too high for what I want. I'm thinking about trying to set the waterfall to a trigger based on when they enter the river at a certain point to simulate their moving through the water and causing waves...but that'll probably have to wait for a few days since I have a few assignments to do for my uni before finals begin next week. >_>

Alos, there's something I'm not able to figure out why it's happening: why is the background so dark? I have the cut-off point set to 10k(which is more than close enough to see them; those back hills are roughly 8k away, IIRC), yet they're still dark. I'm contemplating using some lighting effects so that they show up, since i haven't been able to figure out why they're dark in the first place(especially the day scene). >_>

Level 34
BTW Craka, they were rough dirt tiles ,we can't use custom tiles in the comp.

It's fixed now, so no special water :( I'll post pictures of an update soon.

Jaakko awesome job on the last and the first. The second isn't great IMO. The last one is very close to MadseNs, its a toss up.

Edit: Can't which I like.

Attachments

• asdfasdfasdfasdf3.jpg
    asdfasdfasdfasdf3.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 158
  • Barrens12.jpg
    Barrens12.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Level 34
The grass up close are too green, they don't suit. To me it seems the colors in this one clash too much. And I despise units in terrain (usually).

Also, there's something I'm not able to figure out why it's happening: why is the background so dark? I have the cut-off point set to 10k(which is more than close enough to see them; those back hills are roughly 8k away, IIRC), yet they're still dark. I'm contemplating using some lighting effects so that they show up, since i haven't been able to figure out why they're dark in the first place(especially the day scene). >_>

It's the fog. Make it a lighter blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.