• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Terraining Challenge 2007/2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Final picture :wink:

Attachments

• incecrown final3chains.jpg
    incecrown final3chains.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I like the last one, Madsen! Good job!

whats the icecrown glacier tileset?
i only have reign of chaos...
Unfortunately, Icecrown Glacier is not avaible in Reign of Chaos. It is a Frozen Throne Expansion tileset.
Additionally, I do not advise participating without The Frozen Throne, as it's pretty pointless since you don't have Import Manager or Destructable/Doodad Editor.

Level 34
Well since Herio-san is just too good, I think most people will be frightened off. That Ironforge is amazing.

I was making a Frozen Throne for the mini challenge, but I read on and found out it was supposed to look a certain way, and have the top. Anyways here is what I was working on until I saw the criteria.

MadSen, that's a pretty amazing terrain. Well done.

Attachments

• Icecrown.jpg
    Icecrown.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 139
Level 25
Heh, looks like Evil Ironforge.
I think the small rocks aren't a good choice for this one. I'm not really sure what it is about this screenshot that makes me uneasy. Maybe it's the island in the background with trees. The Frozen Throne never had an island with trees behind it as far as I know. And I think the path to TFT is too smooth and too long. I remember in the cinematic that the path didn't go very far and the hill wasn't that steep either and never had a ramp towards the door. I could be wrong though. It's been a very long time since I saw the ending cinematic in TFT. :p
~Craka_J

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I'll pretend to think that the first sentence does not mean more than it appears.

And I'm really shutting down the challenge if we don't get enough participants this time. If this is the number of participants during the holidays, I dare not imagine how will it be during school.

Rui you are so depresing, you whine because people doesn't enter straight away? I am going to make something but that does not mean that I will start right away, I will wait untill the end of the contest gets closer before I show anything or actually start working on anything. Not to be hostile or anything, but take it easy will you!

And holiday in Sweden, Denmark, Norway and many other countries has been over for a long time now.

Level 34
Heh, looks like Evil Ironforge.
I think the small rocks aren't a good choice for this one. I'm not really sure what it is about this screenshot that makes me uneasy. Maybe it's the island in the background with trees. The Frozen Throne never had an island with trees behind it as far as I know. And I think the path to TFT is too smooth and too long. I remember in the cinematic that the path didn't go very far and the hill wasn't that steep either and never had a ramp towards the door. I could be wrong though. It's been a very long time since I saw the ending cinematic in TFT. :p
~Craka_J

Well I know it's nothing like TFT in the campaigns, or anywhere really, but I was bored and just took a screen I had recently made and messed around with it. I know it's pretty bad.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Rui you are so depresing, you whine because people doesn't enter straight away?
Of course, it's been months now, but each tileset has had less participants, and I'm just depressing. Alright, you're right, no further arguing.

I do not understand what people mean with "whine". Nobody knows the definition of that word for sure.

Level 34
Well I can't beat either of the two submissions (I can't remember if the Iron Forge is done). I will try and submit though.

Level 9
whine Show phonetics
verb
1 to make a long, high, sad sound:
Leon's dog was sitting by the door whining, so I thought I'd better take it for a walk.

2 DISAPPROVING If you whine, especially as a child, you complain or express dissatisfaction continually:
Alice, if you carry on whining like that I won't take you - do you understand! And that is the Whining were looking for

whine
noun [C usually singular]
an unpleasant high sound or voice:
He could hear the sound of hammering, then the whine of a circular saw.
She delivered the speech in a high-pitched nasal whine.

whiner
noun [C] DISAPPROVING
a person, especially a child, who complains or expresses dissatisfaction continually

Some people defenitly do know what whining means. after 2 mins of googling i found out.

Many thanks to the Cambridge online dictionary

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Of course, let us turn this into a discussion of what whine means. I'll request a close and terraining challenge over but hey, at least I'll no longer "whine"!
OR
We could actually spend our time on more useful things instead of going through google, wikipedia and the like in order to bash in Rui's face what "whine" means due to a dying wish of being right.

Not to mention that I threatened to close the challenge once or twice ONLY.

Level 2
Here's some wips of what I have so far for the icecrown terrain. Planning on doing some sort of Dwarf expedition outpost.

Attachments

• icecrown1wip.jpg
    icecrown1wip.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 133
  • icecrown2wip.jpg
    icecrown2wip.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 127
Level 8
If you (or anyone else) don't start any more terrains, I don't have a reason to keep the Terraining Challenge open.^^

I guess the biggest problem I see with the challenge as a whole is that it is so broad. Successful competitions in the past (Fortress Challenge, etc.) have been much narrower in their scope, and so people were able to organize their ideas more effectively. With a basis for an idea, people are much more capable of creating something good.

You have done a fantastic job so far, and I think the terraining challenge is a wonderful idea, but maybe it needs a narrower view(i.e. Create a <desired subject> based around the <desired tileset>). Anyway, thanks for your hard work Rui; you've done wonders. I'll be among the mourners should the Terraining Challenge meet its end...

Rui

Rui

Level 41
You needed Dalaran_Guard to explain. If you spent less time declaring that I whine and more time trying to explain...

Anyway, thanks. However, mini-challenges were made with that purpose. If I order the tileset to follow a single idea, other people will complain that they want to be able to use their own ideas. So, we're kind of stuck. I can provide with a set of my own thoughts in the beginning of each tileset challenge, but it's still entirely up to you.

Level 34
I think Rui is right. The tile set may also affect the contest. I personally dislike icecrown tiles.

Level 34
I still will try to get in a submission. I'm waiting for the sunken ruins challenge, I want to do one for that.

Level 25
@Bob27: Nice work so far. Though it looks flat in the second and third shot and it feels like there needs to be more environmental elements such as tile variation and maybe more rocks. I see a floating rock on that one island over there! *points over yonder*

@KingBob: It's very, very good. Love the spiral stairs: Must've taken ages to make and very aggrovating.
The only things needed are more of those arched spires and ice bergs. Maybe some more detail on the Frozen Throne as well.
~Craka_J

Level 11
Augh, dammnit I really wanted to make ice claw cliffs but I see the idea is already taken. Anywho MadseN really nice, I doubt someone's going to beat that, and you have done everything without custom things, Good Job!
KingBob, really good, I really like this frozen throne, I would suggest taking a little detail to the ground, add some more glacier and more unique ideas. Kudos, to all! ^_^

Level 19
Well I think Icecrown environment needs all kind of ice claws. I might do something with these but I wont copy the terrains.

I have to say that I like your terrains Madsen and makes me wonder if I can make something good.

Level 9
Heres my second WIP, and possibly my final for the mini-challenge

Now i just have to make another thing for the contest ^_^

I think I'm going to make some sort of Nerubian stronghold... thing

oh, and btw, the stairs only took like, 4 hours ^_^

Attachments

• Frozen Throne.jpg
    Frozen Throne.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 131
Status
Not open for further replies.