• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #4 - Improved Melee Race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Level 48
Humans are also members of the Alliance, you know.
And the Battle Priest doesn't look too much like a bandit, not to mention it's a human.

Anyways, I'll try some more stuff with the Naga, but if it doesn't work, I'm switching my entry to Humans under the control of a dwarven Thane. Meaning I'll do Dwarves(with possibly a few humans).

Level 8
Humans are also members of the Alliance, you know.
And the Battle Priest doesn't look too much like a bandit, not to mention it's a human.

Anyways, I'll try some more stuff with the Naga, but if it doesn't work, I'm switching my entry to Humans under the control of a dwarven Thane. Meaning I'll do Dwarves(with possibly a few humans).

Just to mention, Thane is going to be one of my Heroes.

Level 2
I have a question; If I was already working on a mod of all the races to make an improved version of the melee game, can I turn it in with only two of the races changed? I don't have time to finish the undead or even start the orcs, but I have over a dozen new buildings for both humans and night elves and even more new soldiers. Can a judge let me know?

Level 8
I have a question; If I was already working on a mod of all the races to make an improved version of the melee game, can I turn it in with only two of the races changed? I don't have time to finish the undead or even start the orcs, but I have over a dozen new buildings for both humans and night elves and even more new soldiers. Can a judge let me know?

I am not a judge, but I have a very hard time thinking it is ok, since the rules are saying:
Your submission may not be started before the official launch of the contest.

Eh? we arent making varaints of an exsisting race, we are totally remaking not only the races but the fabric of those races in a lore and design sense, lore changes, gameplay changes, this contest not only adheres to the wc3 engine, but the lore and gameplay aswell.

plus i dont like to steal original work. :p back on topic please.

Level 35
I personally think Druids in a LOT of fantasies are bound to animals, but there are many ways to do this. For example, the Druid does not have to be able to morph into an animal, persay, but could have a control over animals.
Of course, Druids do not even need to do this, they can just be bound to nature. It's just animals are typically associated with Nature, so it all depends on your lore. I say if you can explain it, I'm okay with it. If you can't explain it, I'm still okay with it. :p

I belive i am a judge but i don't know pharoh_'s intentions.

It doeset prohibit 2 but it doeset ask for two.

also, as laserdude said, you cant use stuff you started on before the contest.

The World Is Flat, I don't intend to sound like an a**, but it's funny how people think they are judges, just by posting a "Ya, I'll judge this". Midnighters at least let me know he wanted to judge this along and frankly, I believe he has a more obvious experience in modding.

Anyway, your post about the goals of the contest shows that you didn't comprehend well. We do make variants of existing races with gameplay focus, because race remaking with the existing lore isn't a new race, otherwise this contest would be the same to the previous ones, of the same type.

I would like to mention something for the contestants. I can see a nice appearance, but I haven't seen any WIP that depicts your devotion to the strategy section of your race. A race remake that contains an alternative Rifleman called "Spearman" doesn't qualify the entry as strategy- and gameplay-oriented. I encourage you to make up new types of units; we currently have a town hall, barracks, the classic gold-gathering system, some center that hosts several upgrades, a shop and towers.
I would love to see some sort of deviation of this classic structural pattern. You might want to invent new unit types that will totally change the face of the gameplay.

Examples:

A building that absorbs nearby energies that will increase the speed of resource-gathering (of course this would require a custom gold/lumber-gathering system, but this is all about, improving common ways of playing).

A structure that lets the user pick the qualifications of their army, e.g. you pick the unit itself (that has specified stats) from the barracks and the player is choosing (within the barracks) the unit's orientation, e.g. a spellcaster or a classic footman. Several footmen result higher attack damage within the group, while several spellcasters result higher magical damage output, the closer they are to each other.

It's up to you to decide new ways of playing, but I definitely don't want to see another techtree contest that heavily affects the appearance of the race.

Level 8
I would like to mention something for the contestants. I can see a nice appearance, but I haven't seen any WIP that depicts your devotion to the strategy section of your race.

My whole Pilot system is based on creating a brand new stategy for the players.

Also, I was thinking of making a devastating unit which also creates a brand new stategy, "The destroyer" as mentioned in my WIP.
My question still remains, if it is OK lore-wise.

Level 17
Well I'm still in the process of creating the abilities and I can tell you that it will alter the strategy.
All I've shown so far is the units, buildings and heroes I'll be using.. never said anything about what they are actually gonna do ;]

Level 35
Hey guys, having trouble with editor where I can't open my progress on my race. While it is easy for me to replicate what I had already done with awesomely incredible speed, it is a bit of a pain. However, I think I have figured out what the problem was both times this happened, and should be able to remedy it in future.

ANYWHO, that means my progress will be put on halt in terms of creating NEW stuff in my race, but I want to continue thinking about what I should add to complete the race. Basically all I need now is spells for the Caster, abilities for the Hero, and a functionality for the Zeppelin unit that isn't bombarding the ground like a trolololo. So yea, that's just an update on my progress, should be able to come up with solutions to those problems myself =)

Level 8
Whoa, a racemaking contest! I'll join if I manage to get my models finished in time. I'll slighly modify one of my WIP campaign races, so I'm guessing i'll redo the Night elves. I'll cut out the Ancients and make some proper buildings (I hope). I can post a little techtree screenshot in a while. If time is on my side I'll include the Baradin Humans aswell (they are for 80% done, but less interesting ability wise). I do need to work on MPI though...

Level 8
Hmm, so is this going to be an issue? I see how I may have an advantage time-wise, but I've lost a lot of time just modelling and texturing. I still need to model at least 7 or 8 units, so actually i'm already short on time. My point is that the time isn't in concept creation or the object editor.. It's in creating the models and my crappy texturing skills.

Level 35
I personally don't think we should be allowed to make our own custom resources for this contest as it's really opening up a whole gateway that most contestants don't have. For example, you want a new upgrade for a certain town hall but no current model exists? While the majority of us can't make one, there will be people who can, which really gives an unfair advantage when trying to create a vision (i.e. Modellers and Skinners will be able to do a lot more than those of us who can't model and skin can).

The other reason is that this is a TECHTREE contest, not a MODELLING or TEXTURE contest. Sorry if caps sound harsh, but people will need to be reminded of this without a doubt.

I personally don't think we should be allowed to make our own custom resources for this contest as it's really opening up a whole gateway that most contestants don't have. For example, you want a new upgrade for a certain town hall but no current model exists? While the majority of us can't make one, there will be people who can, which really gives an unfair advantage when trying to create a vision (i.e. Modellers and Skinners will be able to do a lot more than those of us who can't model and skin can).

The other reason is that this is a TECHTREE contest, not a MODELLING or TEXTURE contest. Sorry if caps sound harsh, but people will need to be reminded of this without a doubt.

Exactly, this is not a modelling or texturing contest, so don't focus on your models' choice that much. Apart from that, if the contestants do have the skills to create a model, which will realise what they visualised, I don't see why they should prohibited of doing so. This contest is all about creativity, most likely in a game-play manner, but that doesn't mean that other aspects should be doomed.

Level 8
I agree that this contest should be judged on the basis of gameplay and strategy rather than the models used. However, you shouldn't discourage people who want to add some eyecandy to their techs. Personally I can create much more unique units if I have something new to work with. It forces me to create stats and abilities to match the units appearance.

Take an archer for example, I can only think of so much for an archer. But if I were to replace the bow by a musket and give it a witchhunters hat my brain start to work: "Hmm maybe a witchhunter unit... needs some kind of magic resistance/protection versus undead units.. the musket could fire silver bullets that deal 5 additional magic damage, or it could be upgraded with acid ampules that lower defence.." etc.

Let's keep a lock on the negative vibes and focus on the good stuff. Aren't we doing this for fun? Now, as soon as I get my druid to animate I'll post a nice pic of my main dudes, no spells yet i'm afraid.

Level 17
Hey beautiful hivers, how are you going? I am doing fine.
Alrighty I just wanted to give you a notification that I have made some changes to my race - here is what I have replaced:

And these are the units that got replaced:
Diabolic Magician replaced by Magma Lord (see picture, far left.)
Chaotic Warlord replaced by Diabolic Stalker (same model as Diabolic Magician which was Kil'Jaeden but is now a melee hero).
Demon Tower replaced by a new Tower (see picture, right of Spirit Shrine shit I forgot it's name.. oh well I'll tell you later!)
Demon Lodge replaced by Spirit Shrine (see picture, next to Magma Lord)
and the Dragons got a reskin!

Here are the credits to the respected creators.
- Magma Lord (skin) - CloudWolf
- HellDoor (skin) - Pins
- Succorbenoth (model) - Dan van Ohllus
- Lava Dragon (skin) - Juice_F

NOTE: If you find this post hard to understand, tell me and I'll give a full unit/building shot with the new units attached.
Keep up the great work everyone! :)

EDIT: I'll be working on the abilities next.. I got lazy.

Attachments

• Update.jpg
    Update.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 114
Status
Not open for further replies.