• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tauer's Models 2.0

Level 5
What is going to be your next work ?

I must admit that a Teron Gorefiend from your style could be really nice
Even though there are already plenty of good models for Teron ;)

What about Turalyon or young Kadgar ? (I can't find any good models of them)
Or Rend and Maim ? They are described in the books as using bones and stuff like that with some black armor as Blackhand

Otherwise some mode grunts models could be really nice as well

Level 10
I'm not sure. Not really a fan of that weapon, but will probably give it to him unless I can think of something better.
Mesh is pretty much done. Just needs a weapon.

Give him the jaw bone polearm that shit is Kil'rogg's iconic weapon at this point.

And if you're gonna do anything, please give him the dreadlock ponytait. That shit is so unique and cool for an orc I love that design

Level 39
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I don't have any progress to show right now, as usual real life stuff has taken priority. I'm not sure when I will have time to jump back into it, maybe some time next month.

Will not be giving Kilrogg the bone weapon, as I said it doesn't seem fitting for a chieftain of a powerful clan. My models take inspiration from the WCII-era Horde, which is not at all like the Iron Horde in WoD. Same goes for the hair probably. Kilrogg's WoD design is so underwhelming honestly. Looks like a dumb savage instead of a cunning leader. I have a feeling that my Kilrogg is gonna look a lot like the Samwise concept.

Turalyon and Khadgar are a must. They will come at some point. I won't rule out Teron Gorefiend either!
Rend and Maim... maybe. If I can come up with a unique design for them.

Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know what's going on. Trying to avoid pulling my year-long disappearances.

Level 1
You have some incredible Tauer designs, I'm glad you're inspired by wcII and samwise. I'm looking forward to seeing that khadgar, the truth that wow designs stink.Khadgar without a beard is unthinkable

Level 10
You have some incredible Tauer designs, I'm glad you're inspired by wcII and samwise. I'm looking forward to seeing that khadgar, the truth that wow designs stink.Khadgar without a beard is unthinkable
I guess, Khagdar should be more WC2-like, not WoW-like Gandalf) Also there is an official artwork in Chronicles Vol.2 (see below) showing WC2 Khadgar as he looks now in WoW. So, unfortunately, Khadgar with a beard is officcially retconned (obviously, as well as all of his old appearances).

Attachments

• artwork.jpg
    artwork.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 200
Level 50
I guess, Khagdar should be more WC2-like, not WoW-like Gandalf) Also there is an official artwork in Chronicles Vol.2 (see below) showing WC2 Khadgar as he looks now in WoW. So, unfortunately, Khadgar with a beard is officcially retconned (obviously, as well as all of his old appearances).
Nice find! I really like this artwork and I'm definitely gonna base the Turalyon model on this artwork when I have time.
Do you happen to have some other images like this one?

Level 39
Just dropping in to give you guys another update. Sadly I have nothing real to show you, seeing as I'm still really busy, doing studies at like 3 separate schools (don't ask, it's a clusterfuck).

Hopefully when things calm down a bit I can get back to it. That might be the first week in October, but no promises.

My plan is for Turalyon to have two animation sets, one with just the hammer and one where he's dual wielding the hammer and Lothar's broken sword like in the novel.

Khadgar will probably be based mostly on his WCII icon and the WCII cinematics. Seeing as he has so many different designs that it's hard to make sense of them, I'll probably be mixing things up a bit. Plan is to have a young version with old as an alternate animation set.

Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know I'm still alive. Thanks for the support, you guys are awesome :D

Level 10
Nice find! I really like this artwork and I'm definitely gonna base the Turalyon model on this artwork when I have time.
Do you happen to have some other images like this one?
I'm afraid that not. There are only 2 artworks with Turalyon in the whole vol.2 and the second one shows him as a priest not a paladin.

My plan is for Turalyon to have two animation sets, one with just the hammer and one where he's dual wielding the hammer and Lothar's broken sword like in the novel.

Khadgar will probably be based mostly on his WCII icon and the WCII cinematics. Seeing as he has so many different designs that it's hard to make sense of them, I'll probably be mixing things up a bit. Plan is to have a young version with old as an alternate animation set.
Man, it sounds very-very cool. Can't wait to see it)

Level 7
Tauer, you do amazing work! When you do come back I'm certain you'll have something awesome for us. :)

I was wondering, is there any chance you'd turn your attention to giving the standard units your special treatment? I'd love to see a Tauer-style footman fighting a Tauer-style grunt one day. :p

Or, even better -- I'd love to see your take on Medivh.

Hell, do whatever you want. It'll be magnificent anyway. :)

Last edited:
Level 10
Tauer, you do amazing work! When you do come back I'm certain you'll have something awesome for us. :)

I was wondering, is there any chance you'd turn your attention to giving the standard units your special treatment? I'd love to see a Tauer-style footman fighting a Tauer-style grunt one day. :p

Or, even better -- I'd love to see your take on Medivh.

Hell, do whatever you want. It'll be magnificent anyway. :)

+1 for Medivh) But Killrog for the first. I need him right now for my project :)

Level 11
Tauer's models are always worth the wait!
I especially like the great number and quality of the animations. It gives people various ways to use the model, it provides diversity. Perfection is in the details :)
Thanks for your work mate.

Level 39
NICE! Glad to see more of your Warcraft model series! Loving the armor and the hammer! Definitely the best custom made Thrall model out there! Keep it up!

Thanks man! Appreciate the support :D

Tauer's models are always worth the wait!
I especially like the great number and quality of the animations. It gives people various ways to use the model, it provides diversity. Perfection is in the details :)
Thanks for your work mate.

Thank you! I'm glad you like it ;)

Level 11
How about some Alliance characters up next? Khadgar, Danath, Kurdran, Alleria and the like? Would be interesting to see your take on a mounted unit.
That would be heaven indeed! I was also thinking of a younger version of Uther Lightbringer (during Warcraft 2 times, using Chris Metzen's artwork from the manual + in-game icon), I think he's the only classic Alliance hero who has never been found in the Hive. However, I hear Tauer has a handful of other projects going on, let's not put to much pressure on his shoulders :p

Level 39
Thrall got a little update.

How about some Alliance characters up next? Khadgar, Danath, Kurdran, Alleria and the like? Would be interesting to see your take on a mounted unit. :)

I second that!

That would be heaven indeed! I was also thinking of a younger version of Uther Lightbringer (during Warcraft 2 times, using Chris Metzen's artwork from the manual + in-game icon), I think he's the only classic Alliance hero who has never been found in the Hive. However, I hear Tauer has a handful of other projects going on, let's not put to much pressure on his shoulders :p

Some Alliance heroes are definitely on my to-do list. Not entirely sure which one I'll do next. Kilrogg is all ready for texturing, but I might mesh out Turalyon before moving onto him.

The next release is tomorrow? Wow, you work fast!

Well, like I said it's not a new model. Just giving an older model an update :)

Level 39
Alright, here's what I've been working on the past two days:

Grommash
136182-77a473295ac4efe44519c51806771b74.png

It's an update for my Grommash model. His quality wasn't quite up to par with my newer models, so gave him a face-lift. Changes:
  • Did some touch ups on the texture. Face and hair is much more detailed and crisp, and the rest of the texture has much clearer highlights, resulting in an overall better look.
  • Scaled up Gorehowl quite a bit because the old one was way too puny. Also moved it close to his hand, so now his grip is closer to the head of the weapon. This looks much better and less like he's balancing the weapon by the end of the hilt.
  • He now boasts both new and reworked animations. The walk cycle has been completely redone and should look a lot more dynamic, the attack animations have been tweaked to look less awkward, and he finally has the cinematic animations, which brings me to my next point:
  • He now has a Chaos version, as well as the above mentioned animations. The animations are built the same way as the vanilla version, so it's not an alternate animation set. It's for use in cinematics, like in the Orc campaign.
  • The portrait animation has added bones, resulting in more realistic and less static movements.
  • His weapon and hero glow now has global sequence animations.
There might be more, but that's all I can think of right now. I've decided to leave the old Grommash here as well, for comparison purposes and in case people would like to use it.

Level 11
Excellent! I just tried him. I really like the modification on the face texture, it's better now indeed. Also, I love the new animations! When he kneels down to drink, you can tell at once he was drinking the blood of Mannoroth, either in Ashenvale or back in Draenor. That's a cool idea! And it could be useful for other purposes too, so well done.
Thanks for this fantastic model, I'll definitely find a use for it! :cgrin:

Level 11
Since your old Kilrogg is already available, I'd say Turalyon. On the other hand, if I'm not mistaken, you have accomplished more work on Kilrogg, so you'd be able to upload him faster. Either way, any of them will be nice :cwink:

Last edited:

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

Turalyon, definitely. Enough with the horde bias! xD

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

Finally some justice xD

Looks like you're going by old design, right? Can't wait to see how he turns out.

Level 11
His frowning face looks like his Warcraft 2 icon :csmile: Well, that is some promising stuff.
What will you be basing him on? Warcraft 2 BTDP manual? Or more recent artwork?

Level 11
Nice! I always loved the good old-fashioned artworks from Warcraft 2 (I haven't been cured of my childhood, I guess)
I kinda like these recent artworks of Turalyon though. They don't have these huge, shiny and unrealistic armours you can find in WoW or some other pictures! :cwink:
Good luck with this guy and Kilrogg!

Level 39
Nice! I always loved the good old-fashioned artworks from Warcraft 2 (I haven't been cured of my childhood, I guess)
I kinda like these recent artworks of Turalyon though. They don't have these huge, shiny and unrealistic armours you can find in WoW or some other pictures! :cwink:
Good luck with this guy and Kilrogg!

I might be adding some bigger armor than in those pictures though, it still needs to fit in with the Warcraft art style. And thanks! :)

Another WIP:

WIP3.jpg

Head is just about done. Note that he looks a bit evil with the shadowy eyes, but this has more to do with the lighting in my render than anything else. When I start texturing it will look a lot different.

Level 2
I'm so excited to see Turalyon in action while he's wielding Lothar's broken sword in one hand and his warhammer in the other. Oww, and btw... it's good to see you again @Tauer ! I wish I had a talent in making such wonderful Warcraft models but I guess I could just settle in watching you create one. Hehe ;):):p