• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tauer's Models 2.0

Level 51
Much better! I know why it additionally reminded me of a teenager now too :p That "displaced" head made him look like these typical movie teenage bullies that always stick their head into your face, which kinda increased that whole feeling ^^

Edit: I'd also decrease the red tone of the lower part of his face. It makes him look a tiny bit demonic when viewed from afar.

Level 14
The way the head was positioned before gave me the impression he was carrying a heavy burden on his shoulders. I don't dislike it because it was an original idea from my point of view, it made the character feel more real.
The head as it's now, more upright, is the standard and surely looks better to most people :)

Level 39
The left shoulderplate colour has a golden border, while its right counterpart has a silver/iron border (plus a second thiner golden one)
bZdUim
Sans_titre.png
I don't know, with two different colours it feels perhaps a little bizarre, doesn't it? Or is it just me?

GIF7.gif

Last edited:
Level 7
Damn, haven't seen you here in years. Welcome back!
Thanks man, i been working on a HUGE Starcraft II in Warcraft 3 conversion a 2 year project and now its finally close to the end, which explains my absents here at the hive. But now i see you have uploaded these beautiful models i can see light again to my Warcraft 2 mod dont stop what you are doing look how you came up from years ago you can see you definitely improved in every aspect GREAT JOB Tauer and it's good to see you again my friend.

I don't know, with two different colours it feels perhaps a little bizarre, doesn't it? Or is it just me?

Maybe put Teamcolor inside the logo of the armor or if u dont want to use TC on it maybe add a small dagger on his shoulder pad. Just some ideas. But i agree with u something does look off with TC.

Last edited:

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

I think the bronze outline would fit better with the rest of his armor set, but it's his model. Not a big deal anyway.

Level 39
Damn, you guys sure know how to nitpick :p

Why not just set it all silver? Maybe it will look better.

Maybe. I think the lack of any gold would clash with the rest of the armor, just like the lack of silver clashed before.

I think the bronze outline would fit better with the rest of his armor set, but it's his model. Not a big deal anyway.

Hmm, I disagree. I concur with @Sieben that it looked weird because the other shoulderpad had an inner gold trim with silver around it. The difference made it kinda jarring.

It looks like he has a silver plated shoulderpad, and then some leather kinda stuff slapped on top of it which makes no sense. The model looks great aside from that.

Well, if you look at how the light falls you can see that the silver part is outside of the gold part. That's how I attempted to texture it anyway. Not sure where you get the leather thing from though, seems a bit too reflective for leather to me :p

I like the shoulder pads as they are jn, that's my two cents.

I don't know what it is about your model but you've made the TC look so... smooth/soft, it's nice and I like the look of it. Great to see more models coming from you, so many Warcraft characters lacking a well-made dedicated model. Likes of you and Stefan-K are god-sends in that regard.

Level 11
Mmh that's a toughie :p

I have indeed the impression that two plates are strangely superposed on both shoulders-though it's not so disturbing.

Maybe the shoulderpads could have either a golden or silver rim, but not both colours? I'd say golden, to match with the rest. Also, perhaps right shoulder could have the inner part silver instead of black, to look like the other armour parts?

Either way, it's definitely looking good. I especially like the team colour and the chain mail :csmile:

Last edited:
Level 39
Even if it is not leather, it looks like it's a thin piece of something slapped on top of metal. It just looks weird.

I think if you want to make it look different you should add a silver outline to the silvery part.

Since I am shit at 2D, I call upon the mighty 2D god @Kwaliti to comment on that.

Are you sure you're talking about the same thing the others are? Sounds like you might be talking about his right shoulderpad. The one with the Lordaeron logo on it? If so, I was going for something like this:

12023-the-story-of-alleria-and-turalyon-a-thousand-years-of-war-new-audio-drama.jpg

Obviously I'm nowhere near as good a 2D artist as the person who drew that, but that's what I was going for. That shoulderpad was actually a nightmare to texture because I'm an idiot and gave it too little space on the unwrap. So it looks a bit pixelated up close. Everybody else was commenting on his left shoulderpad, the one with the TC.

@Footman16, thanks :)

Oh, damn! Well I thought the left shoulderpad looked a tad weird but generally nice and unique. So yeah, it's the right one I find really weird. The right one would look better if it was rounder (like in the picture), but it wouldn't fix the primary issue of it looking kind of slapped onto the real shoulderpad. As I said, I hope Kwaliti can again save the day and give some great advice on how to fix it, since I am no 2D expert xD

BTW I think you can make the left shoulderpad look better by scaling the inner part towards inside. I don't know how to easily explain it so if you want send me the model in any format via a PM and I can show what I mean.

Level 12
That trim silver line on the left shoulder pad makes the entire thing looking oversized. By leaving it bronze as you did originally, it kind of gave a bit of distinction and contrast to the rest of his armor.

The right shoulder pad on the other hand DOES look like a cheap piece of metal with some emblem forced on top of it. Primarily I think the reason why is because of how the faces of the pad was coloured. Like there seems to be no continuity between the black emblem area and the rest of the pad (because its just coloured gray) all way up to the shoulder itself cuz it just dissolved into black.

Level 39
That trim silver line on the left shoulder pad makes the entire thing looking oversized. By leaving it bronze as you did originally, it kind of gave a bit of distinction and contrast to the rest of his armor.

On the contrary, I think the bronze look makes it look more oversized.

The right shoulder pad on the other hand DOES look like a cheap piece of metal with some emblem forced on top of it. Primarily I think the reason why is because of how the faces of the pad was coloured. Like there seems to be no continuity between the black emblem area and the rest of the pad (because its just coloured gray) all way up to the shoulder itself cuz it just dissolved into black.

Not really sure what you mean here. No continuity?

Anyway, made some changes to the right shoulderpad:

GIF6.gif

I love the sash, really shows off how Paladin's were a combination of Knightly prowess and Cleric's healing magic. One thing I'd like to mention is that I'd be interested to see how uniquely you can incorporate the book and Hammer in terms of animations so it doesn't seem too similar to so many other Paladin models which tend to not stand out as much due to similar animations and appearance, even Arthas and Proudmoore who look quite different seem to blend in a little besides other Paladin-esque models. I'm eager to see what you do with him :D

Level 11
One thing I'd like to mention is that I'd be interested to see how uniquely you can incorporate the book and Hammer in terms of animations so it doesn't seem too similar to so many other Paladin models which tend to not stand out as much due to similar animations and appearance, even Arthas and Proudmoore who look quite different seem to blend in a little besides other Paladin-esque models. I'm eager to see what you do with him :D
As for me, I'd have liked a shield, with a big Lordaeron L on it, like in his Warcraft II model. But it already looks fabulous this way, and also, me might have been nagging enough! :D

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

Is this a two hand hammer? Can't quite tell. If so, I recommend prolonging the handle slightly.

Level 11
I guess the hammer can't be too long, or it'd be weird when dual wielding with Lothar's sword.
It's a bit sad for the shield, but this is still a fantastic job so far nonetheless, well done!

Level 49
It's really come together. I'm sorry I wasn't there to comment through its development, was a little bit busy - generally speaking I agreed with everyone who spoke about the shoulderpads. At this point, though, it would be a serious nitpick. I'm in love with that sash and hammer! The cape bits at the back are also awesome. I think you've managed to make a pretty unique looking knight here. :)

I'm seriously hyped for Alleria as well. That face looks amazing, and I would really love to see some more unique bow-based animations. Maybe give her a dagger with either Alternate or Spell animations to further differentiate her from the default archers / her sister in-game? Maybe even a throwing move. Or some animations that have to do with Elven agility - either some fancy acrobatics, or just a plain old leap could be cool for an interesting spell animation (imagine something like leaping onto cliffs, jumping a long distance in a certain direction (evading/dodging?), etc).

Level 11
I'm totally unaware of what is feasible and what is not when it comes to modeling, but I was just wondering if it was possible to make a shield as an attachment? I don't know if it could solve the wrapping and texture problem, but if possible, that would also allow people to choose between Lothar's sword, book and shield, and that would be brilliant :thumbs_up:

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

I guess the hammer can't be too long, or it'd be weird when dual wielding with Lothar's sword.
It's a bit sad for the shield, but this is still a fantastic job so far nonetheless, well done!

From what I understand, he's recreating the WC2 version in which he didn't have Lothar's sword. And when he got it, it was the broken version. I may have missed a post in which Tauer mentioned which weapons will he use.

Level 11
If I'm not mistaken, at some point in this thread Tauer said he would like to create of dual-wielding version of Turalyon, with his hammer and Lothar's broken sword. :csmile:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Yes, a separate Shield model could be made as an attachment, that would work fine. The only problem would be the wrap, either:
A) finding in-game textures that match Tauer's texturing (hard IMO)
B) custom texturing it yourself (also matching Tauer's still, also hard IMO)
C) wrapping your custom shield with Tauer's texture (potentially easiest, depending on the wall/your inventory)

And of course
D) convince him to texture it (obviously easiest... For you. :p)

Level 11
Yes, a separate Shield model could be made as an attachment, that would work fine. The only problem would be the wrap, either:
A) finding in-game textures that match Tauer's texturing (hard IMO)
B) custom texturing it yourself (also matching Tauer's still, also hard IMO)
C) wrapping your custom shield with Tauer's texture (potentially easiest, depending on the wall/your inventory)

And of course
D) convince him to texture it (obviously easiest... For you. :p)
Sure, but again, that's Tauer doing something extra on behalf of that guy. Not unreasonable, but something he shouldn't bank on. I was giving him the options revolving around doing it himself.
I am not demanding or begging anything, this is absolutly not my style, if that's what you implied. Of course I would be delighted if Tauer made it (and not just me, I reckon), but I am fully aware that modeling and texturing is not a mere 30-minute job, and Tauer has already done a great deal for the community, and I respect his work.
I was just asking about feasibility. If Tauer is willing to do it, it would be great. If he doesn't, it's fine too, it's his model. I will find a way to figure it out myself. Hence my comment. I have no skill in modeling/texturing whatsoever, so I couldn't do the wrap part you mentionned; I'd rather use a shield in the model section, if I can find one. I was just concerned about Turalyon's animations, because a shield might look strange if the animations use the book. But whatever the outcome is, I already know the model will be awesome and I will use it, with or without a shield. :cwink:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I am not demanding or begging anything, this is absolutly not my style, if that's what you implied. Of course I would be delighted if Tauer made it (and not just me, I reckon), but I am fully aware that modeling and texturing is not a mere 30-minute job, and Tauer has already done a great deal for the community, and I respect his work.
I was just asking about feasibility. If Tauer is willing to do it, it would be great. If he doesn't, it's fine too, it's his model. I will find a way to figure it out myself. Hence my comment. I have no skill in modeling/texturing whatsoever, so I couldn't do the wrap part you mentionned; I'd rather use a shield in the model section, if I can find one. I was just concerned about Turalyon's animations, because a shield might look strange if the animations use the book. But whatever the outcome is, I already know the model will be awesome and I will use it, with or without a shield. :cwink:
I wasn't implying anything of the sort. In fact, I was going with the exact opposite; assuming you meant to do this on your own (or have someone else do it).

It wouldn't be hard to learn to rewrap; I'm not an artist & even I have picked it up. MdlVis or the Matrix Eater are both excellent tools that easily allow anyone to wrap new textures onto existing models; find a shield model you like (the mesh, the geometry) & then a texture you like (potentially Tauer's own custom one when this is released), and give it a whack!

Level 11
My apologies for misunderstanding you. I thought you tried to make me look like an ungrateful spoiled child or something-Sorry! :)

Yeah, getting to know a bit of modeling is definitely something I want to go to some day. Even if I'll never be able to be an artist such as Tauer or Stefan K. or many others here, I'd like to master the basics to be able to do the kind of thing you suggested. I'll just need to decipher Magos Model Editor's mysteries before, because right now I can just translate or rotate stuff (which wreak havok in animations!) :D

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
My apologies for misunderstanding you. I thought you tried to make me look like an ungrateful spoiled child or something-Sorry! :)

Yeah, getting to know a bit of modeling is definitely something I want to go to some day. Even if I'll never be able to be an artist such as Tauer or Stefan K. or many others here, I'd like to master the basics to be able to do the kind of thing you suggested. I'll just need to decipher Magos Model Editor's mysteries before, because right now I can just translate or rotate stuff (which wreak havok in animations!) :D
Don't even bother (trying to learn in Magos); both MdlVis & Matrix Eater are far superior (real-time! 3d viewing! Selective viewing of geosets & textures!).