1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Ride into the sunset with the 32nd Modeling Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. This adventure has come to an end. Congratulate our heroes in the 16th Mini Mapping Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. From the gates of hell, the 5th Special Effect Contest Results have emerged.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Support for Dota 2 Mods?

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by thisruoy, Aug 7, 2014.

1. thisruoy

thisruoy

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    With the release of Alpha Modding tools for Dota 2, will The Hive workshop create a section (like Starcraft 2) for this community?

2. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    No offense but....what's the point in that?

I mean it would have high standards to modding especially when it comes to modelling and such. Others may disapprove of my post but just a few would ACTUALLY bother to mod DotA 2 :/

3. thisruoy

thisruoy

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    For 1, it has a huge player base. Let's face it, the warcraft 3 modding community has been dying, starcraft 2 modding was doa.
    2. Warcraft 3 engine is limited, and with the tools being made available by Valve, the complexity and diversity of maps is going to be exponentially greater.

In my opinion, the second coming of Warcraft 3 maps has begun.

4. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I always had the impression that this site would support Blizzard's games only.

5. Rheiko

Rheiko

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You mean

6. chobibo

chobibo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Depends on how flexible Dota 2's modding capabilities are. Maybe in the future, if people can be sure that they can do as much (or more) custom games as wc3 maps can give.

7. +1, let's move forward and call hive :
    Warcraft 3 Modding Community --> Video Game Modding Community

:D

8. Eagle XI

Eagle XI

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    As i had already stated somewhere else, completely depends if this flexibility is wide-stretched enough so you can take the game and totally convert into a pure RTS that doesnt have anything to do with Dota's D, instead producing 150 different subvariations of Dota.

TL;DR: Depends on how deep one need to hack into code to get some systems working, as its been on Wc3.
    Fe. rather basic ones: Can you define custom magic dmg types, have different resources per player-race, code a custom inventory system, make any spell-ability from scratch up without having to warp an existing one ? IDK anything about those yet so rather let somebody else do all the the painful headtoss-into-wall pioneering first.

9. Cihparg

Cihparg

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    If you're going to promote a game, for modding, you should provide the /information about the tools/. Here: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Dota_2_Workshop_Tools/Addon_Overview
    Dota 2 (Hammer (Source)) has a VASTLY greater modding capability as compared to anything Blizzard has ever created.

Now, this isn't going without saying that it's also /a whole lot more complicated, and requires learning all the tools, which might take from months to years./

10. Kino

Kino

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Would be nice, though unlikely to happen.
    The response of some users to this thread tells you everything you need to know.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  11. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Agreed. As for the custom magic types, I'm sure you can, if they allow you to modify it: they've already got different magic types such as Composite, Pure, HP Removal and so, besides the regular Physical and Magical.

I say yes to the initiative, but the Hive has to do better than create 1 forum for it.
    In close line with what Cihparg wrote, tutorials and help threads have always been a source of attraction for new users: I'd never have visited The Helper if it wasn't for their nice tutorials page, for example.

12. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    +1, I think Dota 2's editor is the best candidate to transition to as Warcraft 3 fades away.

13. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I think it's an excellent idea.

14. Eagle XI

Eagle XI

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I dont have anything against either, rather been curious about the possibilities..

15. Mythic

Mythic

Media Manager

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It is a great idea.

16. Love Seeker

Love Seeker

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I think it's good idea, but how about mods I mean. There are alot of mods in DotA 2(like all item mod) instead of tool?

If you meant for Wc3, there are alot of DotA 2 mods(best is made by Rena!ssanse) too! Don't need that tool :p

17. centronic

centronic

Resources:
    Resources:
    He's talking about custom maps on Dota 2, Valve just launched an alpha release to make it. (Also, this new tool is using Source Engine 2 ! that is yet to be released by valve)

18. Idaero Ace

Idaero Ace

Resources:
    Resources:
    if DoTA 2 editor is easy as Warcraft 3 WE, that will good

19. thisruoy

thisruoy

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  20. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I got interested in modding DotA 2 now, thanks to that gif..

If DotA 2 will be supported here at the hive I will make sure to give it a shot. And as rui stated before, we want more than a simple section to put threads in. There should be a help zone and a model section etc.