• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Spore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Copypasta of a rant I posted on EA's spore forums.

First off, seeing as Spore is a game about creating and designing your own things, why doesn't the gameplay reflect this?

So many other things could've been done in the creature stage to be more social, but instead you're forced to dance with other creatures. I mean, how many animals are there in the world that dance with each other?

What you could've done instead is made different species have different requirements. Maybe one is hungry and you need to go get food for them. (Hands, anyone?) Or if a species is under attack; you go kill the attackers and then the defenders like you more. Or if two species hate each other. Go kill one of them, and then the other likes you. Or go collect shells or something for another species. And so on.

But instead, we're stuck with some stupid game that gets old really fast.

Oh, and the transition to tribal. One guy in your species discovers fire. Okay, fair enough. But then suddenly a bunch of huts spring up and you're holding sticks with skulls on them.

What you could've done here is made the user "discover" how to make those things. For example, find something like string that can be used to tie sticks together. Or discovering that a long stick makes a decent weapon. Or discovering that animal carcasses can be used to put stuff on. And for crying out loud, why do buildings have to be in a set position? Couldn't you have done something like other RTS's (say, C&C Generals) and let users put things where they want to? You could add something like a certain range they have to be within and a building limit, for example.

Tribal stage wasn't much better, although the fact that you could at least become friends with hated tribes was good. All that you do is blow some horns at another tribe and then they like you. And if you're under attack, allies don't even help you.

What you could've done is added more interaction with other tribes. You could get other tribes to help you destroy another tribe, or you could trade with them, and so on.

Transition to civilization was terrible. One minute you got a few buildings, the next minute you're designing a town hall, the function of which you have no idea what it does until after you've made it. And again, you have the same thing as in tribal stage. All the villages/cities are laid out exactly the same.

C'mon EA. Ever heard of an open beta?

Including countless bugs(like the one in space stage where you can't go on the practise mission if you don't kill the drones on the planet, can't click the communications button!)
Crashing, and being extremely short, i have only owned the game for 2 days, i have nearly obtained the top rank in space stage, it might be worth a look for a little entertainement, but £32 for this? What a ripoff.

Level 13
Warhammer Online > Dawn of War II & Fable 2 > Starcraft 2 > Diablo 3

My order. Also I can't really say much about Spore SINCE THE GAME DOESN'T EVEN START ANYMORE!

Level 13
Amen.
You guys epic fail at picking games. Whats all this bullshit of Sc2? Its not that good, infact the graphics suck compared to most next gen titles.
Yeees... Blizzard has always been notorious for their high end graphics, demanding super computers which no one actually owns.

Graphics whore.

Level 17
Yeees... Blizzard has always been notorious for their high end graphics, demanding super computers which no one actually owns.

Graphics whore.

Once again you fail. I'm talking in terms of everyone going like "ZOMG SC2 LOOKS PWN, THE GRAPHICS ARE AMAZING." "WOWOWOWOW"

And "THIS IS GONNA BE THE BEST GAME EVER".

This strategy concept blizzard has needs to change because it is utterly boring now. I really hope for their sakes its not just Starcraft 1 with new units and improved visuals.

Because seriously, they need new material. Harvest these 2 materials, make a base, army, attack. Its so lame, the only thing I liked Warcraft for was hereos which atleast added some strategy to the game.

The ONLY buying factor for Sc2 for me is Battle.net. Now, if anyone can organize a moddable and openly online game, its blizzard.

Oh and btw, people wouldnt be making next gen games if no one could run them. If your PC fails then its not their fault.

Level 14
Once again you fail. I'm talking in terms of everyone going like "ZOMG SC2 LOOKS PWN, THE GRAPHICS ARE AMAZING." "WOWOWOWOW"

And "THIS IS GONNA BE THE BEST GAME EVER".

This strategy concept blizzard has needs to change because it is utterly boring now. I really hope for their sakes its not just Starcraft 1 with new units and improved visuals.

Because seriously, they need new material. Harvest these 2 materials, make a base, army, attack. Its so lame, the only thing I liked Warcraft for was hereos which atleast added some strategy to the game.

The ONLY buying factor for Sc2 for me is Battle.net. Now, if anyone can organize a moddable and openly online game, its blizzard.

Oh and btw, people wouldnt be making next gen games if no one could run them. If your PC fails then its not their fault.

Get your own game development company who have made best selling games one after another that are the tops of their fields (SC, WoW, D2), and then you can possibly criticise.

You seem to have two main criticisms:

- Graphics aren't UBER UBER AWESOME.
- SC2 won't be WC4.

For the first, graphical style >>>>>>>>> poly count / pixel shader 95 / 100000x100000 textures. SC2 looks great - better than many next-gen games which have highly demanding graphics that look like shit and/or may as well be gray scale.

For the second, guess what? Heroes are shit as a gameplay concept, and strategy in SC is WAY beyond ANYTHING in WC3. Watch a pro SC match, and THEN try telling me that it isn't full of strategy.

And if people cannot run the game, it IS the game maker's fault. FarCry looks slightly more awesome than Crysis does on my mid end machine. Go figure.

More stuff != more strategy. If you truly believe so, your grasp of game design is utterly terrible, and you need to go play Go.

Level 17
Get your own game development company who have made best selling games one after another that are the tops of their fields (SC, WoW, D2), and then you can possibly criticise.

You seem to have two main criticisms:

- Graphics aren't UBER UBER AWESOME.
- SC2 won't be WC4.

For the first, graphical style >>>>>>>>> poly count / pixel shader 95 / 100000x100000 textures. SC2 looks great - better than many next-gen games which have highly demanding graphics that look like shit and/or may as well be gray scale.

For the second, guess what? Heroes are shit as a gameplay concept, and strategy in SC is WAY beyond ANYTHING in WC3. Watch a pro SC match, and THEN try telling me that it isn't full of strategy.

And if people cannot run the game, it IS the game maker's fault. FarCry looks slightly more awesome than Crysis does on my mid end machine. Go figure.

More stuff != more strategy. If you truly believe so, your grasp of game design is utterly terrible, and you need to go play Go.

What I basicly meant was, all they ARE adding is new stuff to an old formula. No matter how great this formula is its still the same mundane shit that gets boring after a while. I look for gameplay, sure, but graphics are also important. Why shouldnt they be?

Let me make things clear, I'm not bashing the game. But there are games that are better graphically and gameplay wise and I dont get why people are so attached to this one and not one of the others. And are you honostly prepared to defend your point that the bright color scheme of Sc2 can match superior RTS titles?

Seriously, what are you playing to put in comparison?

Watch a pro SC match, and THEN try telling me that it isn't full of strategy.

I've watched one. Oh em gee, look at that. Wc3 is also full of strategy.

Oh well shit, so is every other well made STRATEGY GAME. Hence the name.

Go figure! Strategy in a strategy game other than Sc? Shit!

Level 14
RPGs these days have no Roleplaying in; World in Conflict is called RTS, even though it has no strategy in (RTT would be waaayyy more appropriate).

What I basicly meant was, all they ARE adding is new stuff to an old formula. No matter how great this formula is its still the same mundane shit that gets boring after a while. I look for gameplay, sure, but graphics are also important. Why shouldnt they be?

Old formula that's been altered and has new and different stuff...bit like a different flavoured pizza. Or are you saying all pizzas are the same, because they have the same underlying recipe? Put stuff on bread base, cook.

Graphics is way more than pixel count, and SC2's graphics are better than almost any other RTS out there or coming out as far as I am concerned.

And are you honostly prepared to defend your point that the bright color scheme of Sc2 can match superior RTS titles?

You seem to have failed to understand asking a loaded question is retarded. You presume me wrong and you right in the question, which is downright silly.

I've watched one. Oh em gee, look at that. Wc3 is also full of strategy.

SC is far more strategical. And you don't spend a large part of the game fighting NPCs.

Level 7
Okay spore is a great game. I've got a small review for those who want to know some stuff. I really enjoy spore.

Cell Phase-Personally my favorite I want to try and get it so its like the creature phase and use other peoples cells. Im going to blog about it when spore's forums are back up. First Timer's Time=Around 10-20 minutes.

Creature Phase-Real fun rpg-like game. Simple at first but later it gets harder. First Timer's Time=1 hour+

Tribal Phase-Real simple rts up to 12 units still fun but a little too simple.First Timer's Time=Around 25-35 minutes

Civilization Phase- For me it was fun to creatue all the stuff. Pretty easy(keep in mind I played on easy not hard). First Timer's Time=Around 30-45 minutes

Space phase-Hell Im not even done with it so much fun though. First time's time=Uhh

So yeah spore is a great game I highly suggest it!

Level 17
RPGs these days have no Roleplaying in; World in Conflict is called RTS, even though it has no strategy in (RTT would be waaayyy more appropriate).

Since when is World in Conflict the only other strategy?

Old formula that's been altered and has new and different stuff...bit like a different flavoured pizza. Or are you saying all pizzas are the same, because they have the same underlying recipe? Put stuff on bread base, cook.

Graphics is way more than pixel count, and SC2's graphics are better than almost any other RTS out there or coming out as far as I am concerned.

Ya, I'm not sure about you but I'd get tired of pizza after awhile. And when someone says he's making a new food, and then just makes the same pizza with different topping...
You seem to have failed to understand asking a loaded question is retarded. You presume me wrong and you right in the question, which is downright silly.

No shit, of course I think I'm right and you're wrong. Why do you think I'm arguing with you?

SC is far more strategical. And you don't spend a large part of the game fighting NPCs.

What I said might have been misleading, I wasnt really rooting for Wc3. I was just showing how a similar game from blizzard who has a similar formula plays similarly and how there are other strategy games.

Its all a matter of opinion I suppose

Level 14
OK, guys, ease. All you say is right, but let's take another look.

Spore's best thing is the editors.

They are great and the main thing in the game, the thing that should bring the game to the top.

Then can you tell me why the hell 3 of the announced editors were taken out, and why the cell editor is not available under the create menu? What happened with the hut, with the plant, and with the galactic editors?

And that stupid anty-pirate measure. Damn, what if I have an original game? Do I have to suffer?

Like always, EA ruined the great idea.

Level 17
I just got through spore. Wow. I mean its not bad, but its so fucking short

I went from Cell stage to Space stage in fucking 5 hours. And the WORST PART is that Space stage is absloutly BORING. Im finding myself replaying Cell stage and creature stage right up untill civilization stage because thats the only time its fun.

Space stage is so fucking boring. What a pity of a good concept gone sour, and they made it too childish that its pretty gay. Im going to another aliens planet "Call off your ships before I blast them out of space" "If you mess with us Ill turn that smile upside down"

Wtf?

Level 27
Warhammer Online > Dawn of War II & Fable 2 > Starcraft 2 > Diablo 3

My order. Also I can't really say much about Spore SINCE THE GAME DOESN'T EVEN START ANYMORE!

Diablo 3 > Fable 2 > Warhammer Online > Starcraft 2 > Dawn of War 2?

Wtf is wrong with you people XD

Spore seems like fun to me.. but... i don't like the sims... and euh.. ITS TO SWEET! TO MUCH COLORZZ! ...

I think i will play it and will be kinda... well.. to little blood.. must.. have ... blood...

Spore_2008-09-13_20-02-54.png

Spore_2008-09-13_20-03-44.png

Spore_2008-09-13_21-29-55.png

Spore_2008-09-13_22-42-20.png

Spore_2008-09-13_23-04-33.png

Spore_2008-09-14_10-13-05.png

Spore_2008-09-14_11-05-35.png

Spore_2008-09-14_12-00-46.png

Photobucket shrinked these down a lot. PM me if you want the high-res of any of these.

I have this game here's my point

Cellul phase is fun fast paced minigame with enjoyable graphic.Just there's only Maxis' cellul in the game you can't met you custom cellul in this phase.

Creature phase is my favorite phase it's a kewl adventure game with best customization possibilities.Though for the game needs you always end up with the same part wich provide lv5 skills.I like the lively creature behavior and sound.
But the creature phase is really kewl.I'd enjoy the idea of MMORPG like this.

Tribe phase is fun it's a RTS with more micro.You should edit you're creature to give it an humanoid form and get rid of obselte creature part before starting this phase so I can equip my creature without looking silly.

Civilization phase sucks I don't like it.There's only you'r own race and graphic kinda sucks especially pew pew missile.You can't edit defense turret oO.

Space phase rox it's like an old game called 'Sub culture'.Mission are interesting.And there's plenty of stuff to do ,sometime too much.Alien voice are all funny.

Some cons :
the game is unlosable.
Some restriction like skills lv and DNA make you use only lv5 part and save your DNA so you won't use part just for esthetic.
You can't directly play you're creature in creature phase you have to begins with shitty post-cellular.
Allied species don't help you if you're attacked.You have to have one in your pack.
I was chased low hp and running in a nest of allied species; instead of helping me they were waving me and smiling...
Sporepedia is too random sometime citys are made of building with different color scheme and architectur that sux.

Level 25
I wonder how many it will be this time...

''Supermarket pack''
Now your creatures can buy food from the supermarket!

''Work pack''
Now your creatures can work like normal humans!!

Well.. You get the idea, it was just silly when EA released: Sims: IKEA pack.

Level 4
Cell was fun, but 3 people with 2 computers could have made that

Creature stage was why I bought the game, I was pissed to find out I couldn't use any of my Creature Creator critters though, thats bull

Tribal could have been WAY better, spells maybe, something

Civ Stage was meh, basically Command & Conquer but no base and 3 units. Would have liked it better if i could SEE my creatures, buildings, and vehicles from the gods-eye-view vantage point.

Space stage sucks. Pirates and eco-disasters are more stressful then fun, And why do my allies declare war on me for blowing up planets? Its not like its any of their business.

Spore could have been way better. Infact, it looked better about 2 years ago. Way to fuck up a good game EA

Also, why do the main super villains look like Yodas?

And why do so many MFers warship Spode? Spode sucks, makes me not even want to try anything other then crazy warmongering bloodbath type creatures.

Another thing, whats the point of the "Rare Space Formations?" no zooming in on a system only to find that its useless is not fun, its annoying. Make it so we can use them for something.

Oh, and can I like, I don't know, have control over my fleet instead of accidentally blowing them up because they fly all over hell.

Well, most of the game is fun. Heres a pretty dragon I made. Too bad you can't rip spore creatures, can you?
DragonManstill.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.