• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My Spore Adventures!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Yesterday I went to my friends house and played the much talked about Spore!
First of all let me say this: I was disappointed... It was far too casual and simplified and a lot of the time felt like a weird 3D art program... I got up to friggin Space Stage on Medium in a day, which proves just how easy it is! I suppose you can call this a review, but I see it as more of a rant! Damn Maxis and their Sims!

Cell Stage
This was probably the best stage, simply because customization actually made a big difference and the effects of different parts stacked. It was rather lively with lots of other creatures swimming around. However, the end disappointed me. As soon as it said that I could advance to the next stage, I suddenly couldn't get any more DNA... I would have liked to create a cell bristling with spikes and going on a rampage...

Creature Stage
This was still rather fun, the customization was great, but as I mentioned before, you couldn't stack the effects of parts... The combat system was surprisingly good for such a casual game and my species supreme... dancing skills... soon made them many friends. They then decided to suddenly change colour and grow huge hammers for hands (while still being able to grab objects due to the hands inside those hammers... Overall this stage felt a little like an MMO, and playing an online version of it would be really fun.

Tribal Stage
Now this is when the game got boring, this stage felt like a really shit version of Black and White. A quickly found out that I couldnt edit my creatures anymore, so I was stuck with a really weird looking thingy that holds spears with its hammer hands... At this point, all the parts became pretty much useless and all my creatures somehow became extremely powerful, their HP tripling... For half this stage I just had 3 guys fishing, and when I looked at my food meter, I saw that I had 300.. By the end of the Stage this went down to 200, though I stopped gathering food altogether... The one funny thing that happened was while I was staging a final attack on one of the other random that appeared, a weird spaceship came and started abducting stuff, lol

Civilization Stage
This was the last stage I played and finished before going home, and while it was better than Tribal Stage, it was still somewhat lacking. This was because of things such as the fact that you could only use 1 type of each vehicle. However, I enjoyed the actual vehicle creator, the percentage health/damage/speed system was pretty good while being balanced, unlike the actual gameplay. I literally only had to make about 20 ingame clicks, quickly capturing a bunch of geysers, building a shitload of my awesome vehicle with the realllllllllyyy big gun and easily owning all the other civs and their shitty vehicles. Once I had captured 4 cities and unlocked air vehicles, everything became effortless. None of the other civs had anything that could stop my metal birds things, so I just destroyed all my other land vehicles and built a heap of them. Finally, as I was just about to attack the last remaining city, I looked around the screen, and guess what I saw. A button that destroys all enemy cities... Thats right, THERE WAS A FUCKING CLICK HERE TO WIN GAME BUTTON!!!

'Nuff said...

Last edited:
Level 14
ayup, Spore is hell easy... but if you ever get the real spore you should try hard, it gets much harder there, especially on civ

Level 15
The Spore™ game is an awesome game, although it has some ups and downs.

There are some things that I like and don't like about Spore™, but I'd rather not discuss it here, it's a long and dull story.

I wish that there were more stages as creature. That was the best by far.
Well, if you wait till March 17th, your wish will come true.

On that day, Maxis will release the Galactic Adventures™ Expansion Pack. The players will be able, for the first time, to beam down from their spaceships and start having many adventures.

The gameplay (After getting off their spaceships.) will be just like the Creature Stage, but way futuristic, and way better.

Players can now equip their space faring creatures with some new equipment, such as weapons, jetpacks, etc.

There are many other amazing features, but since I can't remember everything at once, check out its videos, screenshots, news, previews, etc. in here. There are also other threads in there about this Expansion Pack (In case you need more further info.).

A lot of people are dying to get their hands on this juicy tidbit.

<EDIT>
Hmm, I see its release date is no longer scheduled on March 17th (I knew I'd see this coming, since The Sims™ 3 was also delayed.)... So, now the release date is set to June instead of May, eh? What are the EA and Maxis up to?

Last edited:
Level 19
I bought Spore Origins for my new (^^) iPod Touch yesterday and am loving it!
And yeah, it is fun making creatures (and vehicles, seriously, mine was really fucked up!)

What are you talking about syltman: "but if you ever get the real spore"?

EDIT. TDG, sounds cool, lol when I pressed Post Quick Reply, it was yours that appeared instead of mine :O

Level 45
Your review seems far too soft i say, you want to hear my opinion/review? Well here is mine.

Cell Stage:
It was fun at first, its nice and simple. It didnt feel too simple or too complex, it was just in the perfect middle but it was far too short and in eventually in the end it got restricted. However, it felt more like a flash game than anything.

Creature Stage:
Its fun customizing your creature, but in the end it starts to get repetitive and far too simple/thoughtless. It felt like i was playing a very early demo-beta-stripped-version of a cutely squishy horrible graphics version of wow. All the creatures were pretty much deformed blobs that were all glossy and shiny, they didn't look natural/realistic in terms of anatomy at all, it was as if all the creatures were the creations of 5 year old with play dough. The animations were also pretty poor, i had my creature walking around as if it was drunk and sometimes the legs got all screwed up when turning and such.

The environment of the game was pretty bad, i didnt like the grass, water or the sea as it all looks like stupid rushed glossy flat shit :/ The grass was TERRIBLE for the games time, hell, it was so pixelated and shitty plane faced flat grass.
I felt the creature stage was very simple yet restricted, food seemed more like an annoyance and eating was pretty plain/boring. It would of been more fun if there was benefits in actually eating besides NOT DYING, like weight gain, speed or such. It was also abit lame you couldnt drink or barely do anything with the water.

The ablities were pretty retarded, seriously...you only get 1 special ability? VERY lame, it felt like a demo due to that. Iv seen better games that represent spore like this as mmorpgs and they were did without a fancy budget and LOOKED BETTER+PLAYED BETTER.

Tribal Stage:
Far too short, far too limited, it was as if creature stage was nothing but a demo from another game, you didnt benefit much from your creatures design at all. Sure, it was less sluggish than the creature stage, but it was sooo child like, too simple. There should of been far more variety and it was too short.
Suggestions to make it better would be to mount your tamed creatures or farm them in a larger scale. More abilities that actually DID something and were usefull rather than to look pretty would of been nice too. Other resources would feel more large aswell, yet again it felt like you were playing a shitty demo of some RTS.

Civ Stage:
What can i say? PLAYED LIKE ANOTHER GOD DAMN DEMO. Really annoyed me and the variety of what you could build, like air, tank , boat seemed very limited...More variety would of been better and fun. Sometimes the other civs were abit hard, sometimes they were too easy, i couldnt find a medium and the games graphics looked like shit and the talking-ally radio thing seemed pretty useless, there was no point bribing or allying as they would just screw you over by just taking your bribe+doing jackshit or allying with you then turning on your for no reason all of a sudden. The other civs didnt simulate other players very well at all, they seemed so fake, robotic and then suddenly they turn into assholes that just keep spawning repetative tactics to annoy you.

Space Stage:
No. Go away, you gave me the most boring and lame experience I had ever had for a stage i could reach in just half a day. I wont bother saying anymore as your mechanics changed too fast and lost my interest in terms of being open, creative and flexible. Instead it was just a repetative stimulation of going to planets and doing boring missions.

Overall:
The game sucks, anything after tribal stage gets boring. I only play spore when im on the wait at a friends/bros (and his fiances) house or waiting at some meeting. The game is far too short, far too simple and played like a series of minigames or demos than an actual game itself. I was very disappointed, i thought i was promised a revolution, instead i was promised a bunch of stupid clunky minigames whacked into one. Also, that whole SecuROM stuff? Wow, lets not get started on that bullshit...
Oh, and the game seemed rushed, I expected better from EA, but no, looks like they decided to waste their money and waste ours.

Suggested price on a full, FULL version of spore itself? $20-30, not the ridicuolous price of $90-100.

Level 15
Yeah, the upcoming expansion looks like it'll actually help spore's popularity. Especially considering EA's stock has plummeted after spore was first released back in september.
Indeed, but who knows?

Spore™'s reputation's been heavily damaged ever since the game's been released.

Still, let us wait and see what happens after they release the expansion.

The game sucks, anything after tribal stage gets boring. I only play spore when im on the wait at a friends/bros (and his fiances) house or waiting at some meeting. The game is far too short, far too simple and played like a series of minigames or demos than an actual game itself. I was very disappointed, i thought i was promised a revolution, instead i was promised a bunch of stupid clunky minigames whacked into one. Also, that whole SecuROM stuff? Wow, lets not get started on that bullshit...
Oh, and the game seemed rushed, I expected better from EA, but no, looks like they decided to waste their money and waste ours.

Suggested price on a full, FULL version of spore itself? $20-30, not the ridicuolous price of $90-100.
Seconded. EA's full of surprises--especially the bad ones, I'd say.

If the Expansion Pack comes out and nothing is improved, then Spore™ will remain as it is now--repetitive and boring.

I still wonder why is Maxis still tolerating with EA?

Last edited:
Level 14
Erhm, here's a short review from me

Cell Stage
One of my favorite since it feels a bit like science (but it still isn't) but it's a bit boring at the end and I didn't like the controls very much really.

Creature Stage
Really lame if you're eating vegetables and boring. It gets a bit more fun if you're eating meat but it doesn't really feel like you're something special

Tribal Stage
Lame, boring, and more boring, especially if you're social

Civ stage
This is my favorite stage for some odd reason but sucks if you're economic and it also sucks with the win button

Space stage
The first second you do little exploring and the second after you're jumping into space battles, that SUCKS and it's waay to repetive. Either you find a Military, spodetard, or a Social race it feels like. I really hope that the expansion will make this a bit more challanging.

Overall the best thing with it is to create creatures and that only

Level 35
Kimberly stated everything I wanted to say. As an addition to that, the game could have been a lot better if the creators would have aimed on a more mature gaming experience. It was lame to play with yiffing and snoaring baby mutants all the time, although it was fun to customize your own creature/clothing/vehicles/building/spaceship (on a sidenote, I'd like to mention that due to my lack of creativity I've tried to reproduce the reality feeling by constructing vehicles and buildings similar to the ones used by the former Soviet Union...I wonder why.)

Another thing that disappointed me is the battle/ diplomacy system. The battles were all the same without sufficient strategical options or equipment. You just rushed in, blew everything to shit, and after the flag has been pulled up, you repaired the building then permanently left the tribe/city/planet alone. The diplomacy system was even worse, as it was relying on the player's ability to press a few buttons in time.

Level 19
Wow, this thread is still alive!
Lol, yesterday as I was going home from school and passing through a shop (its a shortcut), I noticed something that caught my eye, Spore Creatures, he new DS Spore game...
Lol I took a look at the back and noticed that the graphics were worse than the friggin iPod spore game... its like flash-quality -.-

Level 14
well. its been like 6 month, i thinks, but here was my view
cell stage- i had fun back-stabbing the giant cells and watching them run away from this puny cell (me) but was dissappointed you couldnt do much after getting the option to go to creature
creature- couldnt befriend any of the strong creatures, limit on dna again. pretty good tho.
tribal-i liked allying and all and farming but i thought you could customise weapons(since pretty much everything was customisable) and ride other creatures as well. well that wasnt the case. i dont like multi-controlling so didnt like this stage.
civilisation- same stuff. didnt even matter what your guy looks like. you cant research stuff like a real civilisation would and overall was boring
space-well. the only fun part for me was terraforming and planting trees and animals. all that other business with invaders and pirates didnt interest me. which of course doesnt mean i had crap weapons. just annoying. but overall very boring

all in general, i didnt like spore considering how long i had waited for it to come out and how much i was expecting from it.
they should have just stayed on cell stage or as a really small creature, insect or rat size at largest, and crawl among the grass looking for food and such

Status
Not open for further replies.